Oosterdam questions

We booked a TA for Nov. 2025. Does anyone know if the Oosterdam is scheduled for a dry dock before then? Has anyone been on her lately? If so, how did you find the condition of the ship? I heard they brought back the Crow's Nest as a bar again. Is that true? I always thought it was a bad idea when they made the Crow's Nest into the Exploration/Shore excursions area. Any other current info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

The Crow's Nest has always had a bar. Portions have been carved off for other purposes, but there has always been a bar there.

There was an extensive "Live From" thread here:

A little searching will get you lots of info, including this drydock schedule:

@larry_s_taco My experience on the South America & Antarctica cruise this year was extraordinary.  I did a TA her in 2022 and will be doing the TA again with you in 2025 so obviously, I love the ship.  

Crows Nest has a bar.  She will be in dry dock prior to the TA in 2025.  What other type of current info do you need?

47 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@larry_s_taco My experience on the South America & Antarctica cruise this year was extraordinary.  I did a TA her in 2022 and will be doing the TA again with you in 2025 so obviously, I love the ship.  

Crows Nest has a bar.  She will be in dry dock prior to the TA in 2025.  What other type of current info do you need?

I will be on Oosterdam in July/Aug 2025. I suspect her drydock will be either Fall 2024, or Spring 2025.

We disembark the Oosterdam on May 24, 2025 in Barcelona. But it does not show a sailing until May 29, 2025 and that is from Civitavecchia. A missing five days. Any idea what that is about?

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

We disembark the Oosterdam on May 24, 2025 in Barcelona. But it does not show a sailing until May 29, 2025 and that is from Civitavecchia. A missing five days. Any idea what that is about?

Charter by Amway

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thanks for the info. How do you feel about the entertainment in the theater?

1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

How do you feel about the entertainment in the theater?

I like the guest speakers that they have in the afternoons.  I will occasionally go see a comedian.  I have no interest in dance or musical programs in the theater on any ship.  I play trivia in the afternoon at Billboard. I prefer The Rolling Stones Rock Room in the background evening.  

There are several threads about how the evening entertainment in the Main Theater has been improving. 

21 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

We booked a TA for Nov. 2025. Does anyone know if the Oosterdam is scheduled for a dry dock before then? Has anyone been on her lately? If so, how did you find the condition of the ship? I heard they brought back the Crow's Nest as a bar again. Is that true? I always thought it was a bad idea when they made the Crow's Nest into the Exploration/Shore excursions area. Any other current info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

I think I've booked the same one.  I was on the Oosterdam several months ago.  The Crow's Nest still has its bar (and the coffee place).  That's where I can be found every day.  I prefer the MDR on the smaller ships, and we always ask for Main late seating.  

Posted (edited)

You need to understand a drydock does not necessarily mean any interior upgrades of cabins. Most drydocks are for required maintenance, safety inspections and at most some soft goods refreshing of the interior like carpets in common areas. I think we get too fixated on drydocks for complete interior refurbishments which are both expensive and time consuming. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You need to understand a drydock does not necessarily mean any interior upgrades of cabins. Most drydocks are for required maintenance, safety inspections and at most some soft goods refreshing of the interior like carpets in common areas. I think we get too fixated on drydocks for complete interior refurbishments which are both expensive and time consuming. 

Well put. One of the former ship's officers that posts here frequently gave a very detailed explanation of drydock activities. In summary, when you see a two week, or similar drydock window, it is typically limited to the things you mention. Possibly some minor design or layout changes, but no major structural changes.

• Like 3

Still a bar, the only place to get good coffee...a game area and a general purpose room.  Works very well....unless HAL has a group on board and closes the crows nest for the first 5 nights of your cruise for the exclusive use of the private group (Park West).  That was a recent nightmare cruise on the Oosterdam, and could well be repeated on any of their ships.  Probably won't happen to you, but be aware...and there's no way to know in advance.

9 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Still a bar, the only place to get good coffee...a game area and a general purpose room.  Works very well....unless HAL has a group on board and closes the crows nest for the first 5 nights of your cruise for the exclusive use of the private group (Park West).  That was a recent nightmare cruise on the Oosterdam, and could well be repeated on any of their ships.  Probably won't happen to you, but be aware...and there's no way to know in advance.

We were on the Oosterdam in 2022 from Trieste and Park West closed the Crows Nest most sea days for their phony art auctions. Our complaints to guest services did no good. 

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We were on the Oosterdam in 2022 from Trieste and Park West closed the Crows Nest most sea days for their phony art auctions. Our complaints to guest services did no good. 

we now avoid the Oostradam.....it seems to be a favorite of Park West. yes complaints to the head of the hotel personally were ignored as were complaints to hq execs.  They say it's a business decision...and my reaction to that is..ok, we vote with our money.

16 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

we now avoid the Oostradam.....it seems to be a favorite of Park West. yes complaints to the head of the hotel personally were ignored as were complaints to hq execs.  They say it's a business decision...and my reaction to that is..ok, we vote with our money.

We enjoy the Crows Nest on Sea days, its the perfect place to spend the day, a bar and specialty coffee close by too. We were really upset that Park West could monopolize this venue every sea day. It was usually closed from 10am to 5pm to other guests.

Posted (edited)

I understand Park West now uses the space formerly used by Lincoln Center. So at least one small silver lining of ending LC was to free up the Crow’s Nest. I will confirm in about a week when I sail her. 

Edited by vicd1969
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

I understand Park West now uses the space formerly used by Lincoln Center. So at least one small silver lining of ending LC was to free up the Crow’s Nest. I will confirm in about a week when I sail her. 

I am worried the Crow's Nest will be used by PW on our cruise next month on the Volendam. Last time we were on the Volendam in 2007 PW held their phony art auctions in the Atrium which was fine.

Edited by terrydtx

On 7/19/2024 at 7:01 PM, larry_s_taco said:

Has anyone been on her lately? If so, how did you find the condition of the ship?

We were on the Oosterdam this past April (2024, 22 days TA & Mediterranean) and the previous March (2023, 17 days, Santiago to FLL).

We found her in great shape both times.  Do not recall anything "out of order" or worn out.  We love the size of the ship.....And she was in great shape.

Both times we had quite the interactive and visible captains......And the staff was top notch. We'd sail her on again and again. 

Also, no issues with Park West being in the way. 

Enjoy the Oosterdam........

• Like 2

"Also, no issues with Park West being in the way." 

When did Park West get back onboard?  We were on Zuiderdam recently and no PW.  I heard they had been removed due to complaints about their business practices.