Holland America Hotels in Rotterdam

Hello,

I am thinking about booking a Holland America cruise that starts in Rotterdam.  Flights and hotels are important to me in this decision.  It appears there are not flights from NY to Rotterdam, so I'm thinking flights would land in Amsterdam.  Does anyone know what hotels Holland America would use for a pre-cruise stay in Rotterdam or possibly Amsterdam, and any idea of the cost?  Thanks so much to anyone who can help with this question.

Hi there. We are also taking a RT cruise out of Rotterdam. The last we checked, HAL was using the Hilton in Amsterdam and Rotterdam for pre and post cruise. 

41 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

and any idea of the cost? 

I don't know the cost but from our experience, anytime we compared a HAL hotel rate to booking ourselves, the HAL rate was always higher...and most of the time way higher....

But when leaving for a cruise from Rotterdam.....if you want to go "all in" with HAL, check out these two hotels in Rotterdam:

The former HQ building for HAL now a hotel:

https://hotelnewyork.com

Or the older Rotterdam ship now a hotel:

https://ssrotterdam.com

Nothing like going to ROTTERDAM to board the ROTTERDAM and staying at the ROTTERDAM pre-cruise.  

Enjoy Rotterdam or any 'dam ship...

• Like 4

If you book on your own, good choices would be :

- Hotel New York, former HAL headoffice , right on the pier !

- s.s. Rotterdam, former HAL flagship ( they used to have a shuttle service to the pier, not sure they still do , but a taxi ride is just 10 minutes )

- Hotel Nhow , also on the pier.

Don’t stay in amsterdam. Rotterdam is absolutely worth staying pre-cruise ! ( and not only then 😉).

Rotterdam does have an airport with great connections to London .

• Like 1

I live in the Netherlands and I agree that Hotel New York is the best choice. It's very close to the cruise terminal. De SS Rotterdam is also nice to stay but then you have to take a taxi to get to the cruise terminal there isn't any metro or tram nearby the SS Rotterdam. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ciskadeg said:

I live in the Netherlands and I agree that Hotel New York is the best choice. It's very close to the cruise terminal. De SS Rotterdam is also nice to stay but then you have to take a taxi to get to the cruise terminal there isn't any metro or tram nearby the SS Rotterdam. 

Bus 77 stops in front of the ss Rotterdam and stops at metro Rijnhaven .A shuttle from the hotel also provides service to Rijnhaven . From there it is one stop to Wilhelminaplein , the metrostation for the cruise terminal. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for all these great suggestions!  I will definitely look into all of the hotels you suggested.  I guess I think of using Holland America's hotels because I somehow get hung up on how to get from the airport to the hotel, and then the hotel to the ship.  Usually using the HA hotel the transfers are included.  I will look into the transfer options as well.  Thanks again to everyone for your helpful information.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Nothing like going to ROTTERDAM to board the ROTTERDAM and staying at the ROTTERDAM pre-cruise.

We did this in May.  Loved it.

• Like 3

How do HAL transfers from AMS work, say to the New York hotel a couple of days before departure?

Are the services greatly different if we stay at their hotel.

==========

Going home, I presume that we will be fine using HAL's transfer of luggage to the airport and perhaps one of their tours.

3 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

If you book on your own, good choices would be :

- Hotel New York, former HAL headoffice , right on the pier !

- s.s. Rotterdam, former HAL flagship ( they used to have a shuttle service to the pier, not sure they still do , but a taxi ride is just 10 minutes )

- Hotel Nhow , also on the pier.

Don’t stay in amsterdam. Rotterdam is absolutely worth staying pre-cruise ! ( and not only then 😉).

Rotterdam does have an airport with great connections to London .

You might want to check in with Copper.

As recently as last spring HAL was offering their shuttle service from the Movenpick Centraal in Amsterdam. So if you want to use their affordable shuttle and stay in Amsterdam you could either stay at the Movenpick or get there.  DO check with HAL to see if that service is still available .  Last I checked it was $29 per person and that is a crazy good price 

58 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

You might want to check in with Copper.

Hahaha. Him and I do have different opinions about amsterdam …..

As most people in Rotterdam and amsterdam do 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

We enjoyed our stay in Rotterdam very much! We stayed on a houseboat and had a great time.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

That's why the answer is Den Haag.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Yes, we sure know, thru you, there are deffinant differences between the two cities.  😆

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

It's made in Rotterdam, divided by Den Haag and wasted in amsterdam....

And that information is 100-% correct. Fact-checked 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those that have stayed at the nHow, what were your thoughts? I’m thinking it would be better to get a taxi/Uber from there after the cruise rather than at the pier. We plan to stay there before the cruise but then go to Amsterdam after. 

25 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

Those that have stayed at the nHow, what were your thoughts? I’m thinking it would be better to get a taxi/Uber from there after the cruise rather than at the pier. We plan to stay there before the cruise but then go to Amsterdam after. 

I stayed there before my cruise in May. I liked it, especially the huge windows, but the coffee maker in the room was an unfamiliar model and I had a heck of a time figuring it out! The breakfast is not complimentary, but is huge. Several stations to pick out your choices. Great coffee too.  Very short walk to the terminal. I took the train from Schiphol and then a tram that drops you off across the street. 

No difference between the pier and nhow for taxi. They are next door to each other.

IMHO hotels. If you want "atmosphere" and are willing to pay for it, by all means stay at the New York or SS Rotterdam. If you want a good room at a reasonable price next to the pier with convenient transportation nearby, stay at Nhow (new, modern) or Roommate Bruno (eclectic).

• Like 5