My First Windstar - a quick newbie review

NYJoe

Host Jazzbeau
This post was recognized by Host Jazzbeau!

NYJoe was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

For those of you who have never taken a cruise with Windstar, I thought I’d offer some insight as both a newbie to cruising (one big ship, one river cruise to date) and a first timer on Windstar.  We got such good advice from everyone here, we wanted to contribute for others.

Any specific questions? Happy to answer 🙂

We took the 7 day Treasures of the Greek Isles cruise on the Wind Star and were overwhelmingly happy with the decision.  

THE SHIP

Wow. Beautiful. Exactly what I wanted from a small ship, because it actually felt like a ship rather than a horizontal apartment building.  I could happily have stayed on forever. 

THE CROWD

We are a male couple in our mid-50s, and I’d say we were trending towards the younger side, excluding around 5 children and maybe 10 in their mid 20s/30s.  We generally enjoyed the company of our fellow passengers; it was a well-heeled, somewhat adventurous group.

OUR CABIN

We were in a Category B cabin and had no complaints at all. It was beautifully laid out, and perfectly comfortable for the two of us.  As many others have said, don’t bring much clothing and get it done on the ship.  You will need long trousers and a collared shirt if you are male and want to eat in the dining room.

THE FOOD

Absolutely no complaints; it was never mediocre, and a lot was excellent.  It was plentiful, too, and I never got hungry. Ever. I missed breakfast every morning but always managed to have a coffee and an excellent smoked salmon bagel in the late a.m., with lunch served shortly thereafter. The barbeque off of Santorini was a feast, and Candles was particularly excellent if you like a steak 🙂 We did one room service breakfast and it was delicious.  

THE DRINKS

We did the all-inclusive package. For one of us, it was worth it; for the other, it probably wasn’t.  But it was certainly fun to taste a lot of things, especially wines with dinner.

INTERNET

We were very pleased with the connectivity and speeds, but I should note that not everyone was. And I couldn’t access a single Google app (ie Drive) online.  I did take a few work Zooms on board and they were as good as on land.

THE SERVICE

Informal, but impeccable.  Some staff were happier to engage than others, and you could certainly tell when some were wanting a break from all of us; but everyone was warm, generous, and helpful.

THE EXCURSIONS

We did none, as we like to do our own thing, and it was very, very hot.  We were pleased with our decision, for the most part.  We had the ship mostly to ourselves until about 2pm, and then we would take the tender into the town, and wander for a couple of hours until we got hungry for dinner.  The tenders were regular (every 30 mins) and it was super cool to have what felt like private transport to the islands.

THE ENTERTAINMENT

We didn’t really partake - after all, it was hard to pry ourselves away from the views, the breeze, and the peace on deck - but Paradise Duo accompanied us regularly, and were lovely to listen to.  The line dancing and talent show were impressive, and not as cheesy as they sound.

BOTTOM LINE

We were happy in every possible way, and would not think twice - finances permitting - of taking another Windstar cruise, especially on those beautiful sailing yachts.  It’s definitely a small ship, but that was a plus for us - we never felt crowded, obligated, or like we were just a number.  The staff, crew, and passengers were lovely.  We made some friends, which surprised us. And although it's not - for us, anyway - the best way to see destinations in depth, it was the ship that compelled us in the first place, and would be the thing that brings us back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

It has been a long time since we’ve been on one of the sail ships so very interested to read your review as we’ll be on the Wind Surf in a few weeks time.

We’re in the same demographic as yourselves and we find that Windstar really hits our sweet spot in terms of the ship size, food and service standards etc. and have generally found the passengers that it attracts are well traveled and a pleasure to sail with.

• Like 1

I can not tell you how much I loved the size and build of the ship. As someone who grew up in close proximity to water, this was such a magic way of reconnecting after many years of being somewhat landlocked in New York.  Even though it barely sailed (we had around two hours of engine-off, wind-only power), the feeling of being immersed in the ocean, both literally (when tendering, when anchored, when the watersports platform was opened, and in the cabin with the waves splashing against the windows) and metaphorically (every other minute) reminded me of how much of that I had missed since childhood.  

• Like 3

Thanks for the review, great to hear.  We are likewise of a similar demographic to you and find the smaller and older ships like all of the Windstar ships and Seadream yachts to be enjoyable.  Some people want full balconies and a fully modern decor but we enjoy the smaller scale, amble public spaces, and itineraries with smaller ports to be compelling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stan01 said:

Some people want full balconies and a fully modern decor but we enjoy the smaller scale, amble public spaces, and itineraries with smaller ports to be compelling.

It's interesting how little I cared about the balcony, despite having had one on both of my two prior cruises.  There is so much space, and so few passengers, that the 360 degree view from the deck was more than enough.  The trade off between balconies and passenger numbers was an easy one for me and my partner. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NYJoe said:

It's interesting how little I cared about the balcony, despite having had one on both of my two prior cruises.  There is so much space, and so few passengers, that the 360 degree view from the deck was more than enough.  The trade off between balconies and passenger numbers was an easy one for me and my partner. 

We've booked a couple Windstar cruises next year.  Have never cruised with them before.  The balcony thing is our biggest concern.  Glad to hear your opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breckski said:

We've booked a couple Windstar cruises next year.  Have never cruised with them before.  The balcony thing is our biggest concern.  Glad to hear your opinion.  

We are going on our 30 and 31 cruise with WS, most cruises by a long shot have been under sail and I do not miss a balcony, the deck experience is so magical. We prefer the sailboats.  The motor yachts are different we like a balcony ( really a French window, we like the original configuration with the living room near the FR balcony. Would not go on a motor yacht without a balcony. 
We do love everything about WS Cruises, since 1999 it has simply suited us. Small, great service, privacy, great food. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Breckski said:

Breckski, honestly, it was ours, too. One of the nice things is that NO one has them on the sailing ships, so there's not any feeling of FOMO.  Added to that the beauty of the vessel, the deck, the seating areas, and the small numbers on the ship, it's something that we just never longed for in this context. 

• Like 1

Hey Joe, thanks for your quick review. Question regarding Kusadasi. I understand that dinner is at Ephesus that evening, as part of an included “destination event” or whatever they call it.

Do you recall, if there is an option to opt out of that? Did you go and enjoy it or was it too touristy ? 
I have been to Ephesus and have little desire to return, or worse, have a mediocre dinner there, when I can rather enjoy a nice restaurant in Kusadasi by the ocean. Hence the question if Windstar promote the option to opt out. I do expect the ship restaurants to be closed that evening, which is understandable. 

Hi Mike@Sea,

So - our Ephesus "destination event" was canceled due to a public holiday and large crowds expected at the site.   As a result, a replacement event was scheduled for later in the week.  

I should say that we were told that if one did NOT want to partake in the event(s), we could let the team know and they would either (a) direct you to a restaurant in town or (b) make arrangements for a room service meal or equivalent on board.  

It was 43C at 6pm on the day the Ephesus event was scheduled, and I can tell you there was some relief by several passengers that it had been cancelled.  My guess is that - had it gone ahead - there would have been several who declined to eat outdoors in those temperatures and would have required arrangements for food on board. 

Joe

• Thanks 1

Thank you for writing this review. We sail on the sister ship Wind Spirit in October so am happy to  read about your experiences.  

We’ve only sailed WS once, Star Legend last October Istanbul to Athens with the Corinth Canal. 

@mike@sea we did a private all day tour to Ephesus which we loved. Then we joined all the passengers and crew for the evening dinner there. It was not touristy at all and was really a highlight of the entire 10 days we were on board. It was white linen tablecloth fine dining with the Aegean Sea band playing lovely classical music. The ruins were lit and just gorgeous a completely different perspective of them. The wine was abundant & included (we did not have a package) & excellent as was the food.  

IMG_6920.jpeg

IMG_6922.jpeg

IMG_6939.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Joe,

We have sailed on the Star Legend and loved it. I am thinking of cruising on Wind Star for a transatlantic cruise. Can I ask you if you were happy with your cabin; was it quiet or noisy when the engines were on? Would you mind telling me what cabin you were in, if it was a quiet cabin.

Thank you.

Hi LewiLewi,

Our cabin was at the very front of the ship on level 1, and we were happy with the location.  There is a low level noise that hums along as we traveled that seemed to be the case no matter where the cabin was located, including mid-ship (it bothered some light sleepers and insomniacs, apparently); but we are from New York and it was just like white noise to us.  We use earplugs as standard everywhere we go and the hum was a non-issue.  

There is also a door (just outside of 137/139) that leads to stairs up to Level 2 that was used once or twice during the trip at port.  It also never bothered us, and we were right next to it. 

I am not sure if the cabins at the rear (101-106) are noisier.  

If you're sensitive to noise, you may want earplugs to sleep; but honestly, it really never bothered me.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NYJoe said:

Hi LewiLewi,

Our cabin was at the very front of the ship on level 1, and we were happy with the location.  There is a low level noise that hums along as we traveled that seemed to be the case no matter where the cabin was located, including mid-ship (it bothered some light sleepers and insomniacs, apparently); but we are from New York and it was just like white noise to us.  We use earplugs as standard everywhere we go and the hum was a non-issue.  

There is also a door (just outside of 137/139) that leads to stairs up to Level 2 that was used once or twice during the trip at port.  It also never bothered us, and we were right next to it. 

I am not sure if the cabins at the rear (101-106) are noisier.  

If you're sensitive to noise, you may want earplugs to sleep; but honestly, it really never bothered me.  

Thanks for your reply. 

On 7/26/2024 at 8:54 AM, mike@sea said:

Hey Joe, thanks for your quick review. Question regarding Kusadasi. I understand that dinner is at Ephesus that evening, as part of an included “destination event” or whatever they call it.

Do you recall, if there is an option to opt out of that? Did you go and enjoy it or was it too touristy ? 
I have been to Ephesus and have little desire to return, or worse, have a mediocre dinner there, when I can rather enjoy a nice restaurant in Kusadasi by the ocean. Hence the question if Windstar promote the option to opt out. I do expect the ship restaurants to be closed that evening, which is understandable. 

You are under no obligation to attend this dinner, and I did choose this option on one cruise when my traveling companion did not want to go.  I did not find it touristy at all, it is an amazing experience that most people will never have.

• Thanks 1

Several luxury cruise lines offer an evening event at Ephesus, but the Windstar description is the best I have seen.  I wouldn't miss that if I was on such an itinerary.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

NY Joe,

Thank you for your Excellent review for Newbies!!

We are considering a Greek Islands Cruise on Wind Spirit for 14 days in September of 2026. We are Newbies for Windstar!!

We have done 4 Uniworld River cruises and are booked in November for our Fith!!

Questions:

- Is there Air Conditioning??
- Wondering if rough seas are felt more because of smaller ship??
- We are looking at cabins on Deck 2 midship, any feedback on which cabins to avoid for noise and heavy traffic reasons??
- Greek island cruise in September are their rough seas??
- Do the cabins provide enough space to unpack all your necessities??

Thank you,

Gardening Girl

Hi Gardening Girl,

- Is there Air Conditioning?? 

Yes, there is - and it worked very well, for some almost too well 🙂

- Wondering if rough seas are felt more because of smaller ship??

There was only a single evening where the sea was rough enough to feel it more than gentle rocking, and we still felt no need for seasickness medication.  You do feel the ship lilt, but for us it was kind of lovely,  The crew do tell you to use the handrails when walking around, especially on stairs, and sometimes I used it to hold me steady for a brief moment.

- We are looking at cabins on Deck 2 midship, any feedback on which cabins to avoid for noise and heavy traffic reasons??

I am probably not the best person to answer this, but there is an excellent thread here that provides a list of cabins and passenger notes.  It's a helpful thread all the way through, but page 3 has the most recent list: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2572615-staterooms-on-wind-spirit-and-wind-star/

- Greek island cruise in September are their rough seas??

I also don't know the answer to this, but in July it was generally very smooth sailing.

- Do the cabins provide enough space to unpack all your necessities??

They certainly did for us - there are plenty of drawers and closets and hangers shoe racks.  Like others on this forum, I'd keep luggage to a minimum if you can, and utilize the laundry service once on the ship (it cost us about $55 for two people for 7 days of clothes). Having said that, I really didn't feel like there was a lack of space for everything that I brought, although we were not NEARLY as dressy as some of the other people on the ship.

Joe

10 hours ago, Gardening Girl said:

Greek island cruise in September are their rough seas??

Yes September can be windy with the Meltemi winds coming from the North. They can last for days sometimes.

We are looking at cabins on Deck 2 midship, any feedback on which cabins to avoid for noise and heavy traffic reasons??

We were in 234 on Wind Spirit in May and the room was noisy when seas were rougher as the cabin is near the stabilizers which were vibrating.  Meanwhile our friends were in 219 and had no issues despite the cabin being next to the stairs (no elevators on this ship)

Wondering if rough seas are felt more because of smaller ship??

The ship has stabilizers but it will rock more than a large cruise ship.  This being said, you are in the Agean Sea not the open ocean and the distances covered by the ship every day are short so rocking should be limited

The Greek Islands on the Wind Star, sister ship to the Spirit was my first Windstar Cruise.  I have been on 5 Windstar cruises since and no other line.  We went in Sept and I don't remember it being rocky.  If you like low- key, small crowds you will love it.  I would suggest that you read above referenced post concerning cabins.  There is a lot of good information there.

The dinner at Ephesus exceeded expectations in every way.  The stroll from the buses, the music, the amazing dinner with good wine and plenty, the walk back to the buses through the lit trees, and being greeted by the crew on our return.  All amazing 

• Like 3