Boston Construction

We board August 20 in Boston. We received an email from HAL advising us that there is a lot of construction going on and that we should consider taking their shuttle.

Where is the construction, and how involved is it? Is the email an exaggerated PSA to increase their shuttle sales? 

We’re staying by Long Wharf. Sail away is supposed to be at 3:00pm.

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We board August 20 in Boston. We received an email from HAL advising us that there is a lot of construction going on and that we should consider taking their shuttle.

Where is the construction, and how involved is it? Is the email an exaggerated PSA to increase their shuttle sales? 

AFAIK the construction referred to is the complete closure of the Sumner Tunnel, from July 5 to August 5, affecting travel to and from Logan.

https://www.seaporttma.org/sumner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We arrived in Boston last night and traffic from the airport was a cluster!  We got in our Uber at 7 pm and finally arrived at our Seaport hotel at 8 pm.  After taking about 15/20 minutes to travel the equivalent of one city block, the driver turned right instead of left, and drove way out of the way, via East Boston, to get us to our hotel.  He said the traffic is the worst he’s ever seen.  But the tunnel is supposed to be reopened on Aug 5th so should be better by the 20th! Although I will say, after seeing what I saw last night, it will take at least a week for the traffic jams to clear!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Tioga, you must be getting on after we get off!  We’ll try to keep the Volendam shipshape for you!  Please keep me posted on the traffic issues as well face those on our return.  Although, for many reasons, we are considering taking the HAL transfer post cruise.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

12 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just take a cab or an Uber. HAL is just trying to buckle and dime you. 

I’m guessing the HAL email is meant more for those who are arriving the same day as the cruise leaves. Sail away is 3;00p. If people arrive at Logan, HAL will be aware of them and be able to manage their transfer to the port.

7 hours ago, zqvol said:

Just take a cab or an Uber. HAL is just trying to buckle and dime you. 

Don’t know how spell check turned nickle into buckle 

Take an Uber. Ted Williams Tunnel is open and the Sumner Tunnel will reopen Aug 5th. The Sumner runs INTO the city from the Airport. The Ted is 2-way and since all inbound traffic is being routed thru the Ted things have been backing up from the airport.  That being said your hotel is a hop-skip-and-jump to the port and you can get to the port via surface roads. 

Before you arrive call your hotel to see if the Water Ferry from Logan to Long Wharf makes sense for where you are staying. It's mainly for commuters so the schedule may not fit your arrival.  You will need to get on the 66 bus at the airport to get to the ferry terminal at Logan but the fery ride is nice and you avoid the road traffic.

https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Boat-F1/timetable?schedule_direction[direction_id]=1#direction-filter

If you are returning to Boston at the end of your cruise get off the ship and walk around the large white building (Boston Design Center) to 23 or 25 DryDock Ave and call for your Uber from there. DryDock Ave is still 2-way so the driver can bang-a-uey (make a u-turn) and avoid the chaos at the port.

2 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Has anyone taken the Silver Line1 bus from the airport to Seaport?

You will take the Silverline 1 to SilverLine Way (a bus stop) where you can either walk .8 of a mile to port or change to Silver Line 2 to DryDock Ave at Black Falcon Terminal. The SL1 will have a place to put your luggage. Not so sure about SL2 bus. See mbta.com to plan your trip. 

Their bus doesn't have any magic powers, it will be in the same traffic a car will be in.

There are harbor ferries that avoid the tunnel and the MBTA Blue Line avoids the car tunnel, while the MBTA Silver Line shares one of the tunnels with cars

On 7/26/2024 at 12:05 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Forget the shuttle. To use it you have to get back to the airport from Long Wharf.  Just get an Uber and allow some extra time to get to the cruise port. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:04 PM, Traveling Library said:

If you are returning to Boston at the end of your cruise get off the ship and walk around the large white building (Boston Design Center) to 23 or 25 DryDock Ave and call for your Uber from there. DryDock Ave is still 2-way so the driver can bang-a-uey (make a u-turn) and avoid the chaos at the port.

We’ll be returning to Boston in October at the end of a cruise, and need to get to Amtrak at South Station.  If we decide to take an Uber, would you suggest we do the same then, or is your recommendation specific to what’s going on now (and/or related to getting to Logan)?  Thanks! 

The advantage of going to Drydock Ave is so the Uber driver doesn't need to sit in the traffic getting to the pier. It would probably be preferable. And the driver might just thank you. 

However, to get to South Station, you could just get on the Silver Line bus and go straight there.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We’ll be returning to Boston in October at the end of a cruise, and need to get to Amtrak at South Station.  If we decide to take an Uber, would you suggest we do the same then, or is your recommendation specific to what’s going on now (and/or related to getting to Logan)?  Thanks! 

For any Uber pick up at the port go to DryDock Ave you want to avoid the chaos at the terminal. You also go to DryDock Ave to get the SilverLine bus to South Station. Note to get the bus you’ll want to walk left when you exit the terminal all the way to the main entrance of the Boston Design Center. From the main entrance walk straight to DryDock Ave and turn left. The stop for the bus is just past the driveway. This bus can get crowded and I don’t remember any luggage racks. For convenience I’d Uber. For frugality I’d take the Silver Line. See mbta.com for Silver Line schedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

The advantage of going to Drydock Ave is so the Uber driver doesn't need to sit in the traffic getting to the pier. It would probably be preferable. And the driver might just thank you. 

However, to get to South Station, you could just get on the Silver Line bus and go straight there.

I would never consider a local bus after a cruise, you’ve just spent thousands on a cruise why would you fool with luggage on a bus just to save a few dollars.  Makes no sense.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zqvol said:

I would never consider a local bus after a cruise, you’ve just spent thousands on a cruise why would you fool with luggage on a bus just to save a few dollars.  Makes no sense.

It's a short ride, direct, and simple, and they run constantly.

I've done the walk dozens of times.  Without luggage it's a very reasonable distance.  With luggage, the Silver Line to South Station just makes sense

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 9:44 AM, Nitemare said:

It's a short ride, direct, and simple, and they run constantly.

I've done the walk dozens of times.  Without luggage it's a very reasonable distance.  With luggage, the Silver Line to South Station just makes sense

After looking at google maps, I agree. We will be traveling with just 1 carryon, so I think it will be ok. I can certainly afford an uber, however, the Siver line looks to be just as convenient.