Sunbed reservation wars spreads.

majortom10

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This man gets to sound more and more monstrous. Telling adults they have been sunbathing too much? Did he check they had cleaned their teeth?

I think it's one of those "you had to be there" things. He was crusty, but kind underneath all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

It was a courtesy to prevent them from not getting sick from too much suntanning.

If was very very appreciated by all with his care of them.

I should rather be treated as an adult, as Cunard usually does. I doubt the man was a dermatology expert. I cannot see it is courteous to be saying in effect ‘You are too stupid to look after yourself.’

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

An interesting extension to the sort of definitions you get in dictionaries.

Obviously, lexicographers consulted the wrong sources when compiling dictionaries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

It was a courtesy to prevent them from not getting sick from too much suntanning.

If was very very appreciated by all with his care of them.

The trouble with the written word is that sarcasm and irony cannot be conveyed well often by this format. @exlondoner is a master at her craft as a contrarian. Bottom line - taking some passages here literally can give you agita!

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think it's one of those "you had to be there" things. He was crusty, but kind underneath all that.

I take your point, but honestly am immensely relieved I wasn’t. There were also one or two other members of staff on QE2 who overestimated their importance in the scheme of things, not something I’ve encountered since.

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

The trouble with the written word is that sarcasm and irony cannot be conveyed well often by this format. @exlondoner is a master at her craft as a contrarian. Bottom line - taking some passages here literally can give you agita!

Me a contrarian? Surely not? Is it really contrarian to be saying in effect that most of the time Cunard is pretty wonderful? (Other than its attempts at IT.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, no1talks said:

...and there will be others who will not give a tinker's cuss whether the area is reserved or not.

Absolutely correct the people I overheard couldn’t have given a tinkers cuss whether it was reserved for grill passengers or not

3 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

Thank you! All the doom and gloom had me quite disheartened about joining you next week.

Assuming the Azipod is repaired by then, of course.

I think you will have a wonderful time. Please don’t be disheartened by negative comments you may have read. I am really enjoying Anne and am beginning to work out where everything else. I have enjoyed the Pavilion grill where everything is made to order. The Artisan food Hall seems to have so much choice. Been happy so far with Britannia. Yes if you go looking for a sun bed at 2 on a very sunny day you probably won’t find one but in my experience you wouldn’t find one either on QM2 or QV and QE at that time will similar weather. Look forward to it and yes I hope we make it there too. Chugging along nicely today 15-16 knots. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One of the men at dinner on QV last fall wore white tie for roaring 20's night. He looked splendid! But it was easy for him to carry black tie and white tie plus everything else, as he was within driving distance of Southampton. 

Doesn't take up much to carry our bling......

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NE John said:

Bottom line - taking some passages here literally can give you agita!

John,

We know the Italian Street Terminology in Brooklyn..Bromo Seltzer is the relieve

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Haha 1

Regarding the card operated door entry system.

Entry to our local Tennis Club is by member's card which causes the door to open automatically.

When leaving the club, for safety reasons, anyone approaching the door from the inside, causes it to OPEN automatically.

A very straightforward solution.

Stewart

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, david63 said:

In this day and age restricting access to the Grills Terrace is quite simple - you just have card access - swipe your card to get in, simple.

On the QM2 that staircase is also access to the lower decks from Deck 12. You can't block the staircase leading down or up for safety reasons.

If there were other walls maybe but in this case, no..

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

In this day and age restricting access to the Grills Terrace is quite simple - you just have card access - swipe your card to get in, simple.

On QE and QV, that's how you get the elevator up to the grills lounge and restaurants and terrace. You can get to the terrace from an outside stairway, but not many people go that way.

The problem on QA is that the grills area spans the width of the deck, and there are areas open to all forward and aft of that. So people walk through rather than go down a few decks and then up again. There could be a safety issue if the only ways to go the length of the deck are blocked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On QE and QV, that's how you get the elevator up to the grills lounge and restaurants and terrace. You can get to the terrace from an outside stairway, but not many people go that way.

The problem on QA is that the grills area spans the width of the deck, and there are areas open to all forward and aft of that. So people walk through rather than go down a few decks and then up again. There could be a safety issue if the only ways to go the length of the deck are blocked.

My last school had fire doors which closed automatically as soon as the alarm went off. Surely then it’s not beyond QA to have doors that automatically unlock in such circumstances, if the through traffic really is a problem. 

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

My last school had fire doors which closed automatically as soon as the alarm went off. Surely then it’s not beyond QA to have doors that automatically unlock in such circumstances, if the through traffic really is a problem. 

There was a fair amount of traffic on QA on the nice days, especially the first few days when people were exploring the ship. I noticed, but I can't say I was bothered by it. I would be annoyed if people started taking advantage of the easy access to use an area they hadn't paid for.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On the QM2 that staircase is also access to the lower decks from Deck 12. You can't block the staircase leading down or up for safety reasons.

If there were other walls maybe but in this case, no..

In emergency situations ( or any situation for that matter ) doors can be preset to unlock automatically. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

In emergency situations ( or any situation for that matter ) doors can be preset to unlock automatically. 

These are the exterior steel staircases from Deck 12 to 7 talking about. Not Interior Staircases.

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

These are the exterior steel staircases from Deck 12 to 7 talking about. Not Interior Staircases.

I thought we were talking about the doors closing off the Grills area.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought we were talking about the doors closing off the Grills area.

Not the ones near Elevator/Staircase D

This thread is all over the place!  How entertaining!

I’ve got to say, I wish I’d met Dennis.  I absolutely love crusty old people with hearts of gold.  You know where you stand with them.  How boring to only have staff who are polite and unobtrusive.  Give me a character any day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well.... how many stewards are still remembered today by their full name? How many?  I can still name many of my stewards by their first names and from nearly 50 years ago. And make the point of trying to address them by name now.  

But Dennis Dawson was special. Odd... I did not find him "crusty" at all.  I thought he was professional, quirky, dedicated to preserving "the old ways" and quite charming. To have him called him "monstrous" (really?!) by people on this site who never even met the man says more about his detractors frankly.  Dennis Dawson was Old School Cunard which... yes... some of us remember, cherish and hold on to.  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Thanks 1