How to block the lights in the cabin from turning on during the night

Along with painter's tape for the bright footlights, I bring Dollar Tree nightlights that have a square, clear lens and a soft blue light. One in the cabin is just enough light to prevent disorientation, and a second one in the bathroom for those pesky nighttime excursions. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, d9704011 said:

BTW, i block the under cabinet light beside the bed by rolling up a pool towel and jamming it up against the light before going to bed.

I use one shoe.

16 hours ago, trbarton said:

Had you thought about the shades that you can wear over your eyes which will easily solve your problem & extremely easy to pack?

Not an option if you use a CPAP.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Painters tape is the best option since it will not leave any sticky residue.

If we leave enough residue, maybe Princess will learn that nobody wants these sensor lights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

If we leave enough residue, maybe Princess will learn that nobody wants these sensor lights.

I don’t particularly like the sensor lights, which is why we cover them with a removable black plastic container.  I am sure they were installed due to someone breaking their toes and resulting claims.  I’m not sure sticky residue is the answer .. 

perhaps it is better to try find a better solution for this.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note, the Discovery doesn’t have those motion sensitive lights. Thank goodness! 

Cabin M105 had one sensor light at the base of one of the nightstands when we were on the Discovery two weeks ago  We were armed with the small amount of paper tape that my DH keeps in his travel kit so we were able to kill the sensor.  That cabin is an unusual layout and doesn't have the hallway light so we only had one to deal with.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trbarton said:

Had you thought about the shades that you can wear over your eyes which will easily solve your problem & extremely easy to pack?

Tom😀

It's very difficult to walk to the bathroom wearing those.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I wrap painters tape around an old gift card. Another option is to put two magnetic hooks on the ceiling on either side of the light and use a mask to block the sensor during the night

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 7:02 PM, trbarton said:

Tom😀

Or you could just put painter's tape over your eyes. 👀

11 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

other cruise lines have a built-in soft night light in the bathroom. 

I will never understand why they put those bright lights in the cabin rather than simply putting a night light in the bathroom.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

We brought painters tape to use on the light but then realized neither of us was tall enough to reach it!

Anyone considered asking your stateroom attendant & explain what you want to do & why?

Tom🤔

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

Anyone considered asking your stateroom attendant & explain what you want to do & why?

Tom🤔

That works too but doesn't provide nearly the self-satisfaction you get from a successful, and easy, DIY project.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom🤔

That could work if he or she were taller than us -- although I don't know if the steward would be permitted to help block it...worth a try, though!

On 7/28/2024 at 1:26 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Painters tape is the best option since it will not leave any sticky residue.  Along with that, I bring a small amount of duct tape.  You never know!  And that is why I can’t travel with just a carry on, 

PS…..once I bought a “roll” of duct tape from a dood to door student hocking fund raiser stuff.  It was likened to a roll of foil.  12 inches wide/paper peel away back..   Cut what you need.  Fabulous invention.  

Have a wonderful cruise.

I do the same.  I wrap duct tape around an old credit card.  It's come in handy when our luggage was damaged.  Kept it together long enough to get home.  I wrap a little blue painters tape around the duct tape for the auto-light.

• Like 1

The solution to this may be easier that thought.  On our last cruise (Majestic Princess June 2024), I noticed that there was a keycard on the wall inside each cabin by the door.  I assumed that this was to control the lights when someone was in or out of the room (prior to the Medallions being used as room keys)  This is where you were supposed to put your room key when in the room so lights would work.  If you left the room and took keycard with you, it would turn off lights in cabin as an energy saver.  Just a thought, but if you remove the keycard that is there all the time now, would that deactivate the motion lights? Has anyone tried this?

3 hours ago, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

The solution to this may be easier that thought.  On our last cruise (Majestic Princess June 2024), I noticed that there was a keycard on the wall inside each cabin by the door.  I assumed that this was to control the lights when someone was in or out of the room (prior to the Medallions being used as room keys)  This is where you were supposed to put your room key when in the room so lights would work.  If you left the room and took keycard with you, it would turn off lights in cabin as an energy saver.  Just a thought, but if you remove the keycard that is there all the time now, would that deactivate the motion lights? Has anyone tried this?

We are currently on the Crown and we don’t have that.  I’m not even sure if those even exist anymore as they have switched over to the medallions.  

Even when they are working, your AC went out along with your lights.  In a hot weather climate, that would be miserable.  

I learned as a toddler to sleep with my eyes closed.  Gretna, on the other hand, has had one too many face lifts...she'd be happy if she could blink, let alone close her eyes.  😳 At home...well, I haven't been in her room since the Reagan administration.  She lives to cruise, and has learned to adapt!  A steady ingestion of evening cocktails would be her advice for this forum.  Once the deck hands wheelbarrow her to our cabin, nothing could wake her over on her seven-eighth of the bed.  She ignores me when I suggest an eye mask, just as she ignores me when I remind her "It's a 15-drink Maximum, not a 15-drink Minimum".

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ArizonaStorm said:

I learned as a toddler to sleep with my eyes closed.  Gretna, on the other hand, has had one too many face lifts...she'd be happy if she could blink, let alone close her eyes.  😳 At home...well, I haven't been in her room since the Reagan administration.  She lives to cruise, and has learned to adapt!  A steady ingestion of evening cocktails would be her advice for this forum.  Once the deck hands wheelbarrow her to our cabin, nothing could wake her over on her seven-eighth of the bed.  She ignores me when I suggest an eye mask, just as she ignores me when I remind her "It's a 15-drink Maximum, not a 15-drink Minimum".

So, I shouldn’t be too surprised if I hear “man overboard” over the PA?  🤣 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I boarded Sun Princess yesterday and need to block off the toilet sensor.

Can someone please tell where it is.

I’ve blocked off the two bedside table ones. They were easy to find.

Thanks