Menu In WC ?

lextrvlr

On 8/12/2024 at 6:50 PM, oskidunker said:

I would eat in the dining room rather than struggling through a buffet 

I find the dining room annoyingly noisy when it fills up.  Bad acoustics.

20 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Have you tried asking for a quiet table?  We’ve found that those near the stern tend to be less noisy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,  first viking ocean cruise coming up.  Where is the best place to get a properly cooked poached egg in the morning (with a runny egg yolk).  I've seen the pictures of the world café and I can imagine those sitting under the heat lamps going hard.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

Hi,  first viking ocean cruise coming up.  Where is the best place to get a properly cooked poached egg in the morning (with a runny egg yolk).  I've seen the pictures of the world café and I can imagine those sitting under the heat lamps going hard.  Thanks.

Just ask them to make you one. While most guests order omelettes, they will gladly make you poached, fried, basted, scrambled, etc. I’ve also had good poached eggs in The Restaurant. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

Agree with @Clay Clayton

All three meals in the WC, at the cooking station, you can ask for many items to be cooked to order.  Many people don't realize this.

The poached eggs under the lights are a gamble as to how runny they are.  They are often more medium.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just ask them to make you one. While most guests order omelettes, they will gladly make you poached, fried, basted, scrambled, etc. I’ve also had good poached eggs in The Restaurant. 

I often ask for a Salmon  eggs Benedict in the WC for breakfast. Cooks are always happy to put it together with a freshly poached egg…..I dream about this breakfast!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 11:21 AM, janetcbl said:

I often ask for a Salmon  eggs Benedict in the WC for breakfast. Cooks are always happy to put it together with a freshly poached egg…..I dream about this breakfast!

I think I need more coffee. When I first read this, I read it as a Benedict with salmon eggs. 😳

On second reading, I hope it was an egg Benedict with salmon. THAT I could go for. 😃

Note: I've lived for over 20 years in Hawaii and four years before that in Japan, so NOTHING surprises me on that front.

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2024 at 6:10 AM, mrbluesea said:

On 9/11/2024 at 6:26 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I'm difficult. I won't eat eggs that have been sitting under the heat lamps, even if I watch them being set out. I always ask to have my eggs cooked to order. If they point to the eggs that are already sitting there, I just shake my head and they start cooking my eggs.

On 9/11/2024 at 5:21 PM, janetcbl said:

Hubby likes a LEO -- Lox, Eggs and Onions. He will grab a couple of pieces of lox as he walks into the buffet and then head straight to the made-to-order window to order. The line chefs are up for almost anything you can throw their way.

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Meals in the WC?  Does one flush down the leftovers?

(Sorry as much as I tried, I couldn't resist)

From the WC to the WC…

( I couldn’t resist either. I apologize if you find this in bad taste)

• Haha 2

The discussion has been about the Viking Ocean ships. We haven’t been on an Ocean ship, but we've been on two cruises on Viking Expedition ships, where the main dining room is the World Cafe and the specialties were the Restaurant and Manfedi's.  Has anyone done both types of ships and can doing a comparision of the restaurant options on the two types of ships?  We have an Ocean cruise next March and we're trying prepare our expectations.

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

The discussion has been about the Viking Ocean ships. We haven’t been on an Ocean ship, but we've been on two cruises on Viking Expedition ships, where the main dining room is the World Cafe and the specialties were the Restaurant and Manfedi's.  Has anyone done both types of ships and can doing a comparision of the restaurant options on the two types of ships?  We have an Ocean cruise next March and we're trying prepare our expectations.

I’ve done both. Started with Expedition, where we found the Restaurant a tad frustrating. I was, honestly, shocked that I was unable to dine with wait-service every evening, on a cruise that cost me a young fortune. We ate twice in Manfredi’s and twice in the Restaurant. The other three nights, we just resigned ourselves to the WC and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In comparison, I’d say the WC experiences are both excellent. The Restaurant was more enjoyable on Ocean. And that’s despite a very disappointing first dinner on Jupiter. It was my 55th cruise, our 55th wedding anniversary, and dinner was not up to our expectations. Thank goodness, the next night we asked for a different pair of servers and the whole dinner was elevated to a fine MDR experience. That continued for the entire cruise.

I can’t compare Manfredi’s b/c we skipped it on Ocean.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:10 PM, wolfie11 said:

I am deaf in one ear and wear hearing aids which means I am sensitive to too much noise as it prevents me hearing my wife (Cue husband jokes here ...). For two people, table #'s 43, 143, 47, 147, 50, 150, 151, 34, 134, 7 & 3 are good tables. I prefer the first 6 of these myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @RobEsson. My hearing problems are similar. I hear the loudest thing in the room, which is usually the background noise. (It is one of the reasons we like dining in the Chef's Table.)

I have copied the list into my notes and will always have it available on my phone when we sail.

• Thanks 1

May B, the lamb shank, as it looks fabulous, would have been my choice. Did you enjoy your selection?

Initially, I thought  I would order the halibut as it is a healthier option, and also looks very good.  However, Mr. B. doesn't appear to have much in the way of vegetables with the halibut.  Are there regular sides one can order with a meal?  For some reason, the search function is not working well for me and I can't remember if there is an "always available" vegetable side dish(es) available.  

24 minutes ago, mariners said:

May B, the lamb shank, as it looks fabulous, would have been my choice. Did you enjoy your selection?

Initially, I thought  I would order the halibut as it is a healthier option, and also looks very good.  However, Mr. B. doesn't appear to have much in the way of vegetables with the halibut.  Are there regular sides one can order with a meal?  For some reason, the search function is not working well for me and I can't remember if there is an "always available" vegetable side dish(es) available.  

We definitely enjoyed all our meals, and I especially know we loved all our fish dishes. I can’t remember about the sides!

I’ve been reading Crystal’s dinner menus to Mr B at happy hour when a current guest posts them. He recently asked, aren’t there any Viking menus? I can’t recall seeing any. There’s nothing wrong with being surprised. 

We tend to order what we love, and what the chef doesn’t cook, at the B household. 
All the fish we had on Jupiter was wonderful! One or the other of us had it every night. In fact, Mr B just walked into the room and I asked him about sides. He doesn’t remember, but he did remind me he had halibut three times, with the first one getting an A grade, the second one A+ and the third one A++!

The halibut on Viking in the Baltic was certainly a smart choice for lovers of halibut!

I had an outstanding Dover sole one night.

Edited by May B
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, May B said:

We definitely enjoyed all our meals, and I especially know we loved all our fish dishes. I can’t remember about the sides!

I read a review from a Viking passenger who wrote that the fish served were more colorful than the decor!

1 hour ago, mariners said:

Are there regular sides one can order with a meal?

In addition to whatever sides there are with the night's specials, we could always get steamed vegetables (always cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and zucchini,) creamed spinach, or a salad.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thank you @RobEsson. My hearing problems are similar. I hear the loudest thing in the room, which is usually the background noise. (It is one of the reasons we like dining in the Chef's Table.)

I have copied the list into my notes and will always have it available on my phone when we sail.

13 hours ago, RobEsson said:

I am deaf in one ear and wear hearing aids which means I am sensitive to too much noise as it prevents me hearing my wife (Cue husband jokes here ...). For two people, table #'s 43, 143, 47, 147, 50, 150, 151, 34, 134, 7 & 3 are good tables. I prefer the first 6 of these myself.

You are not alone!! My DH just can't understand why I can't hear him when he has the TV on. I can't understand a word the TV is saying...it's just noise in my hearing aids. Then, DH will say something that is quieter than the "noise"...What? 😬

I'm going to copy those table #s as well.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, carolinetodd said:

In addition to whatever sides there are with the night's specials, we could always get steamed vegetables (always cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and zucchini,) creamed spinach, or a salad.

I have seen a salad offered as additional side vegetables.  I have always had to order the ceasar salad from the "always available starters".