Fitting cpap on nightstand?

craig01020

Good morning. I've booked my first-ever Princess cruises. Looking at photos of the staterooms, it appears the bedside lamps are fixed to the nightstand. If that is true, where do people put a cpap machine if not on top of the nightstand?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Yes, the lamps are fixed on the nightstand. One of the frequent cruisers here posted a picture of a homemade shelf so that when the drawer of the nightstand is pulled out, it supports an extended level area for the CPAP/APAP. Must have taken measurements then built at home. I'd add a hinge so that it folds flat.

Perhaps that member will see this thread, post the picture and measurements so you can make one.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

Good morning. I've booked my first-ever Princess cruises. Looking at photos of the staterooms, it appears the bedside lamps are fixed to the nightstand. If that is true, where do people put a cpap machine if not on top of the nightstand?

Thanks.

ResMed AirSense 10 machine fit on the nightstands on the Regal and Enchanted.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Thanks. I use a Dreamstation Go for travel. If it doesn't fit on top of the nightstand, I'll just put it in an open drawer.

Good Morning, my CPAP fits on the night stand on the Princess ships we have been on.  They also fit on the open area just under the lamp and above the drawers.  

image.jpeg

I always put my AirSense 10 on the night stand with the fixed lamp.  One caution is plugging the cpap into the power outlet.  All the 110v power oultets (2) are above the desk.  There is a EU type outlet in the wall where the bed is located but I have a problem pulling it out plus it needs a multiple plug because of the lamp..  I bring my own extension cord and magnetic hooks to keep the cord off the floor.  Your steward will loan you an extension cord if needed but its quality may be questionable.  Ask your steward and he will give you a bottle of distilled water for the duration of the cruise at no charge..  

2 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I use the same and am on the Grand right now no problem at all resting it next to the lamp 

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

I always put my AirSense 10 on the night stand with the fixed lamp.  One caution is plugging the cpap into the power outlet.  All the 110v power oultets (2) are above the desk.  There is a EU type outlet in the wall where the bed is located but I have a problem pulling it out plus it needs a multiple plug because of the lamp..  I bring my own extension cord and magnetic hooks to keep the cord off the floor.  Your steward will loan you an extension cord if needed but its quality may be questionable.  Ask your steward and he will give you a bottle of distilled water for the duration of the cruise at no charge..  

Have you considered using "hidden" plugs behind the bed? I do that for every cruise, using a 2 prong European style plug adapter. 

• Like 5

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I used to bring a collapsible stool and use the top drawer.  This is on the Caribbean P (Grand class ship).  AirSense 11

image.thumb.jpg.6b5f37e1fe5d192f5ca96bb7d9c5c0cb.jpg

There is a lot of discussion of this, and other CPAP topics, at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3007753-question-from-new-cpap-user/#comment-67360826

Three primary concerns are:

1.  The size of the CPAP - they vary widely.  Mine is a "tank" and will not fit without some "customizations."  Others fit nicely on the nightstands.

2.  The particular size and lamp orientation of the nightstand in your cabin.  They are not uniform.

3.  Your power needs and what power is available.  We use a gizmo similar to that posted by @Rick&Jeannie

Bottom line:  Have an idea of how it will work, but also have a "plan B."

• Like 1

We've been on several ships that have an open area where a top drawer would normally go in the nightstand.  I've always been able to get my CPAP to fit on the top of the nightstand (except for one sailing on NCL, I think) while DW would put hers into that open area.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Have you considered using "hidden" plugs behind the bed? I do that for every cruise, using a 2 prong European style plug adapter. 

Yes but it is not easy to pull out the bed.  So I just use an extension cord that I brought for the occasion.  I do have two pronged devices for world travel. 

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Bring your own extension cord (non-surge protected). Extension cords are not always available for a few days. Despite reserving one and asking pretty much as soon as we got on board, they did not have one for us on the last cruise until a day or two in. He ended up using the EU outlet (with a converter plug) and not worrying about a lamp.

As for keeping the cord out of the way, magnets work, as does gaffer's tape. Painter's tape tends to pull up.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

I travel with one like this so I can plug my CPAP in behind the bed and still leave the lamp plugged in.  But on Ruby but week the connection wasn't tight enough, so the adapter kept falling out with the weight of the CPAP and lamp plugs plugged into it.  So I wound up having to use an extension cord in the US outlets at the desk anyway.

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I travel with one like this so I can plug my CPAP in behind the bed and still leave the lamp plugged in.  But on Ruby but week the connection wasn't tight enough, so the adapter kept falling out with the weight of the CPAP and lamp plugs plugged into it.  So I wound up having to use an extension cord in the US outlets at the desk anyway.

My husband had this problem on Emerald. Gaffer’s tape (which I always have) allowed me to tape over the set-up to avoid the problem

I bought a couple CPAP holder/hangers from Amazon and put some powerful magnets on the back.  We have the kind of masks that the hoses go on top of your head.  I stuck them on the cabin walls and it was almost as good as having them come off the top of our headboard.

I'm looking forward to being on the Star and having plenty of room for the machine.  What a dumb thing to position the lamp right in the middle of the night stand!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 7:54 AM, Abercrombie2019 said:

Good to know.  I have the AirSense 11 (same size as the 10) and will be on the Regal in November.  We are in an accessible Mini Suite and fortunately the desk is near the bed, so I only need to bring a small extension cord to plug it in.