How strict is QM2 boarding time in NYC

Andee

Although we've cruised on several other lines, Aug 23 NYC> Southampton will be our first Cunard cruise.
To say that our pre-board experience has been frustrating would be a gross understatement. 
Because we're in a low class cabin, we have the very late boarding time of 2:30. On other cruises, we've been able to board before our official time. Is that common on Cunard? I'm not trying to beak the rules, just want to know how boarding actually works.
Thanks!

Cunard does tend to queue boarding from the top decks down - for our 2022 sailing we were also given a 2:30 boarding time [deck 5 room]. On the other hand we allowed [as usual] for delays in the drive from home to the terminal and arrived about 1:30 [no unusual delays].

We were able to check luggage on arrival, and go to security screening without delay - I think we were riding the elevator to the boarding bridge just after 2.

Note that the terminal has restrooms and water fountains - but no vending machines, so lunch is our first order of business after boarding.

I think for this October we will see if the Golden Lion is still serving lunch instead of heading to the Kings Court.

• Thanks 1

That's not a late boarding time! I've had 4pm in Brooklyn before (which ended up at nearly 5pm due to a problem on one of the gangways).  There isn't a lot of space at Brooklyn or seating, and so if you turn up early and you don't have Platinum/Diamond status, and are not in Club or Grills, there is a risk you will have to queue up outside for a while. By 2.30 pm it should be fairly slick. So yes you can turn up a bit earlier but it will be more hassle, and not so nice if it rains, but people do it, and get on earlier as a result. 

One factor is absolutely no-one is going onboard until the CBP agents are satisfied that all passengers, including any in transit, are off the ship. So if there are delays clearing arrivals, this feeds through to boarding. It's rare for this to be completed by 11 am.

All the above assumes QM2 is on time on the quayside and doesn't lose the tidal slot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the responses.
As a diabetic, I can't wait until 3pm for lunch, so we'll have to eat near where we're staying in midtown Manhattan. I'd rather start my QM2 cruise experience with lunch on the ship, but that's what we get for booking a lower class cabin.
When final boarding is 4pm, 2:30pm does seem late to us--and it's certainly later than we've ever boarded a cruise ship.
When things go awry while we're traveling, we always say to each other, "But we'll make the best of it!' And we do.

"Note that the terminal has restrooms and water fountains - but no vending machines."  There was a snack bar last November.  It was very limited, but it wasn't nothing.

Assuming no disembarkation delays, I would show up around 1:00.

28 minutes ago, Andee said:

Thanks very much for the responses.
As a diabetic, I can't wait until 3pm for lunch, so we'll have to eat near where we're staying in midtown Manhattan. I'd rather start my QM2 cruise experience with lunch on the ship, but that's what we get for booking a lower class cabin.

It comes up a lot on this board, and in various forms it's about trying to get that first lunch in. And it's just a trade off, if you go earlier you may get on a bit sooner, but even on 2:30 pm, if you go straight to Kings Court you will probably make it for 3pm just about. If you go at 1:30 pm, which can be quite busy, you may find you spend half of that hour queuing up, hence the trade off.

Personally I would have one decent lunch in NYC, and there are so many good options for this, turn up later for a more civilised boarding, and recognise that  there are plenty of meals coming my way over the length of the Crossing. I did a report of a December 2023 Crossing on this Board, and though people were pretty polite about it, the sub-text was "did you really eat all that food???" (and yes, I did).

• Like 4

We are also on this sailing and have received 2pm boarding time (sheltered balcony on deck 4. We're going to stick with 2pm and hope to waltz right on! We're planning to enjoy brunch in Brooklyn to tide us over until we our first meal on the ship. Is room service an option on embarkation day? 

• Like 2

You are not I. The “lower class”, as there is no such thing on the QM2.    You will have access to all but two restaurants.   The Britannia is the most elegant restaurant afloat and you will love it.   Boarding is by deck and by loyalty level.   You will have less of a wait and line if you arrive at your scheduled time.

• Like 3

By lower class, I meant 1st time Cunard cruisers in a less expensive cabin.
We've never sailed on a cruise line with levels of cabins limiting dining venues, so that's odd to us. 

4 minutes ago, Andee said:

We've never sailed on a cruise line with levels of cabins limiting dining venues, so that's odd to us. 

Aside from Grills and Club cabins,   the cost has nothing to do with your boarding time it’s all about the deck location you have booked. Nothing  to do with cabin grade on the ship. I also think it’s reasonable that folk who have high loyalty status enjoy priority boarding whatever the grade of cabin they are in. Plenty of other mainstream cruise lines have areas and restaurants only available to guests who are travelling  certain cabin grades. Many are far more restricting than Cunard.

• Like 4

I didn't say it was unreasonable.
In our limited experience, we've never been on a cruise with dining venues limited by cabin grades. Bu, of the many, many cruise lines out there, we've only been on 6.

8 hours ago, Andee said:

I didn't say it was unreasonable.
In our limited experience, we've never been on a cruise with dining venues limited by cabin grades. Bu, of the many, many cruise lines out there, we've only been on 6.

It is spreading. NCL, MSC, Celebrity all do it. 

53 minutes ago, Andee said:

Of those, we've only been on Celebrity, but that was 25+ years ago.

All of the lines quoted are actually far more devicive than Cunard as it is not just restaurants but whole areas of ships which are locked off.  The last Celebrity ship I sailed the locked off area had the front of the ship designated such along with a swimming pool. MSC even offer inside cabins in their Yacht Club.

Regarding boarding times, I am Diamond on Cunard and often sail in the cheap seats (inside guarantee) at last minute.  If I get 2.30 boarding I consider myself very lucky as it's a sweet spot for no queuing.

Referring to anything on Cunard as lowly you'll find isn't the case as everyone is treated above and beyond

I hope you have a great time onboard. Enjoy!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Pushpit said:

One factor is absolutely no-one is going onboard until the CBP agents are satisfied that all passengers, including any in transit, are off the ship. So if there are delays clearing arrivals, this feeds through to boarding. It's rare for this to be completed by 11 am.

This also contributes to crowding in the priority waiting area because that's where they seat the in-transit passengers. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Andee said:

If you’ve been influenced by a recent YouTube vlogger who said they were traveling “Fourth Class” on Cunard, please don’t be bothered.
If enjoying: the beautiful Britannia restaurant, complimentary white glove served afternoon tea, complementary room service and laundry, and access to 90% of the ship is fourth class, sign me up!  I’ve been on every “class” of Cunard (except Club) and there is no distinction of who’s in what cabin class around the ship. As others stated, Cunard may have been the first with suite classes (Grills) but the other lines are more segregated and “in your face” about it than Cunard. And no one really cares about a class system onboard. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Curious about when one receives their boarding time.   We will be sailing in QG.   New to Cunard.

Never mind I should have Googled First -

From 21 days prior to embarkation

• Complete online check-in via My Cunard and print your boarding pass and luggage labels
  • Plan your travel to your ship's terminal to arrive at the time specified on your boarding pass
Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Andee said:

Multiple cruise lines such as Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, and MSC have dining areas, lounges, and outdoor spaces limited to higher paying suite customers or frequent customers.  Specifics may vary by ship but it is definitely there.  Other cruise lines like Viking Ocean have a very specific hierarchy of who gets to make reservations for dining and shore excursion first.  Again, the people paying low fares go last.  It's not referred to as "lower class" on those lines.  By no means are different dining rooms for different passengers unique to Cunard.  I guess the American term would be "you get what you pay for".  Frequent customer perks are much more obvious on airlines than on cruise ships.

To answer your question with a 2:30 PM embarkation time I think if you show up around 1:30 PM you'll be on pretty quickly.  Since you are a diabetic, I'd recommend taking a snack in your carry on since there can be delays in boarding.

Edited by stan01

On the boarding time, we got on the QM2 last week in Brooklyn.  We had a 3:00 boarding time.  We had to check out of the hotel and went straight to the pier. Got there around 12:30. No problem checking in early.  We were onboard eating lunch by 1:30.

• Like 1

I am also on the August 23rd crossing and I got 2.30pm boarding time same as above. I am platinum member however. So I should be able to just rock up at my lesuire as has been discussed. Though solid arguments have beeb made about getting the lunch option in NYC or having the couple of extra hours to do something.