Princess v Cunard

Csardas

Hi.

We’ve cruised many times but mostly Cunard and the occasional Celebrity, which we’ve enjoyed too. As we’re recently retired, I’d like to expand our options for last minute cruises. If anyone has cruised on Cunard too, I’d be grateful for any information comparing and contrasting the two lines as I really like some of Princess’ itineraries. TIA!

To summarize the main differences between Cunard and Princess is formal and very traditional vs. more relaxed and more contemporary.

With Princess having more ships than Cunard, you will have more choices of itineraries and cheaper fares than Cunard. As for the ships themselves, tea time at Cunard is much more superior than Princess, but Princess has more options of food venues and more available during the day with quality wise is comparable to Cunard. One plus for Princess are their bundled packages -- Princess Plus and Premier with drinks, WIFI, and gratuities which Cunard does not have an equivalent.

Entertainment and onboard activities wise, I found that Princess has more going on than Cunard.

• Like 2

Hmm. Ish.

If you've cruised often with Cunard, you presumably like their elegance - tuxedos, ballroom dancing, Royal Ascot themes, etc..

You also know that Celebrity is slightly above average for a mainstream cruise line.

I'd place Princess a tad below Celebrity. They have "formal" nights but few, at least of the men, will be seen in formal wear. Suit or jacket - perhaps.

That's all in the evening. Daytime, I'd say they're more remarkable for their similarities than their differences.

As long as you're not expecting "strictly ballroom" you'll be fine.

Having sailed all three lines, these are my takes. Others may disagree. And that's OK too.

• Like 2

Cunard has gotten much more casual the past few years. For example, jackets are no longer required at dinner. But it's still more elegant and refined than Celebrity or Princess, where many people take "formal" or "evening chic" to mean T-shirts with no holes.

To us, Princess and Celebrity uset to be pretty much the same, but Celebrity is rapidly declining with their recent changes and is trying hard to become Royal Caribbean so I'd rate Princess to be a better line. And if you're a dancer (like many Cunard cruisers), Princess generally has more and better dance venues than Celebrity, though it's very ship-dependent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Csardas said:

Hi.

We’ve cruised many times but mostly Cunard and the occasional Celebrity, which we’ve enjoyed too. As we’re recently retired, I’d like to expand our options for last minute cruises. If anyone has cruised on Cunard too, I’d be grateful for any information comparing and contrasting the two lines as I really like some of Princess’ itineraries. TIA!

We have cruised with both lines and have to agree that Princess is more casual. We enjoy both but for us the flexibility of dining on Princess along with the plus and premium packages make it more attractive. We have cruised with almost all of the popular cruise lines and our top 3 are Princess, Celebrity and Cunard. 

4 hours ago, Csardas said:

Thanks for that. So if we like Celebrity, we should like Princess?

I may get flamed and accused of blasphemy...but yes, I feel the 2 lines are very similar.  That being said, we *generally* sail Princess and we only have our second cruise on Celebrity coming up soon, but looking back at our first Celebrity cruise (about 5 years ago on Solstice to Alaska) and comparing to our recent Princess sailings it just seems to be a very similar vibe.  Different ships/itineraries may have led us to a completely different opinion, though.  I don't think you'd be disappointed with either line as long as you're not looking for go karts and roller coasters, ice skating rinks or rock climbing walls!  You'll have to look elsewhere for that! 😄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Cunard has gotten much more casual the past few years. For example, jackets are no longer required at dinner. But it's still more elegant and refined than Celebrity or Princess, where many people take "formal" or "evening chic" to mean T-shirts with no holes.

To us, Princess and Celebrity uset to be pretty much the same, but Celebrity is rapidly declining with their recent changes and is trying hard to become Royal Caribbean so I'd rate Princess to be a better line. And if you're a dancer (like many Cunard cruisers), Princess generally has more and better dance venues than Celebrity, though it's very ship-dependent.

Jackets for men are required on formal nights for most public areas on a Cunard ship. It is jacket optional on other nights. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Csardas said:

Celebrity and Princess are very similar. If you like Celebrity, you are very unlikely to regret trying Princess, especially if you are choosing based on itinerary.

• Like 1

I can't really comment on Cunard or in truth Princess as the last time I sailed on a Princess ship was early 2000's. Then I thought the entertainment was good and a good choice of food in the MDR much of which were items I hadn't tasted before. My wife though wasn't that exactly thrilled with the menu as there was a lot of fish. I think she had steak most nights. But then things have changed and the cruise was on Sea Princess.We have an upcoming cruise on Princess as due to a less than satisfactory cruise on Ventura last year (P&O) really put us off. As for Cunard I don't like what appears to me harking back to the Titanic's White Star Line where you had 1st class down to Steerage. Certain areas which are no go unless you have a certain grade of cabin . Whilst I don't a ship full of chavs I also don't want people looking down their noses at me either.

15 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

OK, I have not sailed Cunard, but I am Elite with both Celebrity & Princess.

Have sailed Princess for 20 yrs, Celebrity for 10 yrs, but 7 sailings on each in the last 3 yrs.

While I agree that dress codes have relaxed over 20 years, T-shirts of any kind on ANY night on either line is a rarity. Carnival & NCL, yes (and I expect it--but what someone else wears doesn't affect my cruising experience). Most passengers do business casual on both lines. Evening chic nights can vary widely from true formal wear to business casual.

I remember on one of our 1st cruises on Princess I was in a dressy camisole, dark jeans & heels--very chic, but not "official" as I was in JEANS.

A gentleman walked into formal night with a 1978 baby blue tux, ruffles & all. 

OK, "officially" he is following dress code--but he looked ridiculous.

DH took his jacket on our 1st cruise & never again--couldn't justify it to walk to dinner, take it off at the table & never put it on the rest of the night. 

So even 20 years ago things were becoming more casual, as our society is as a whole.

The beauty of it now is that people can dress up if they want to, or not--and aren't relegated to eat at the buffet because they don't want to don a jacket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I can't really comment on Cunard or in truth Princess as the last time I sailed on a Princess ship was early 2000's. Then I thought the entertainment was good and a good choice of food in the MDR much of which were items I hadn't tasted before. My wife though wasn't that exactly thrilled with the menu as there was a lot of fish. I think she had steak most nights. But then things have changed and the cruise was on Sea Princess.We have an upcoming cruise on Princess as due to a less than satisfactory cruise on Ventura last year (P&O) really put us off. As for Cunard I don't like what appears to me harking back to the Titanic's White Star Line where you had 1st class down to Steerage. Certain areas which are no go unless you have a certain grade of cabin . Whilst I don't a ship full of chavs I also don't want people looking down their noses at me either.

You really couldn’t be more wrong about Cunard. There are only different dining rooms for grills guests, a small lounge and a bit of sun deck and most passengers haven’t got a clue who is in what stateroom. Moreover, there’s always a friendly atmosphere on board and people chat to each other. Celebrity ships have different dining rooms too, for Aqua or Suite guests and a much more in your face in the middle of the ship lounge exclusively for Suite guests. Frankly, I don’t care which grade of cabin people have-it’s the people themselves that matter and apart from a couple of loud, crass Americans, everyone I’ve ever spoken to on Cunard has been charming. We’ve been from Inside to Queens Grill. Like you, we had a bad P and O experience but on Arcadia so they’re off the list now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Jackets for men are required on formal nights for most public areas on a Cunard ship. It is jacket optional on other nights. 

Yes, a jacket is optional on all other nights but on formal nights it is a dinner suit or dark suit. About 95% wear dinner suits.

15 hours ago, Csardas said:

You really couldn’t be more wrong about Cunard. There are only different dining rooms for grills guests, a small lounge and a bit of sun deck and most passengers haven’t got a clue who is in what stateroom. 

Actually, they’ve added the Britannia Club Dining room - think of it as club class dining (I refuse to use the newer name Princess has given club class). It’s a step below the grills. I haven’t dined in Britannia Club, so I can’t give you any more info about it. 

22 hours ago, Csardas said:

Yes, a jacket is optional on all other nights but on formal nights it is a dinner suit or dark suit. About 95% wear dinner suits.

You are right about the dress rules as stated on the Cunard website.  The reality is a little bit different.  When the QM2 is doing a crossing, there are a lot of dinner suits (tuxedos) but your estimate of 95% is a bit too high.  Maybe it's this high on the world cruise?   However, in Alaska on the Queen Elizabeth, most men wear suits (of various color combinations - not just dark). 

I thought the food on Cunard was much better than that on Princess.  A lot more lamb, game, and fish, all of which I enjoy.  I also really liked the pop-up specialty restaurants, and the pricing on those was very attractive.  Finally, the activities on Cunard were outstanding...the enrichment lectures were standing room only and were extremely well done.  Yes, the drink package is more expensive but the wines were better.

I do really like Princess though.  The bundled packages are a great value and the entertainment is fun.  It is less formal which is nice on a port intensive cruise.  As the OP stated there is a greater variety of itineraries.

I think both lines are solid choices, depends on what you want for the cruise you're shopping for. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 12:45 PM, Csardas said:

We have sailed more times on Princess than Celebrity. I started sailing on Princess in 1991 when I was 30. Other than my wife I felt like the youngest one on board. At 63 I still feel like the youngest one on board. Now Celebrity has replaced Princess as our first choice.  We only sail on Princess for the itinerary. I think the room accommodations and entertainment is better on  Celebrity. Food is about the same on both.   It's declined equally.

Edited by Iamcruzin

23 hours ago, Csardas said:

You really couldn’t be more wrong about Cunard. There are only different dining rooms for grills guests, a small lounge and a bit of sun deck and most passengers haven’t got a clue who is in what stateroom. Moreover, there’s always a friendly atmosphere on board and people chat to each other. Celebrity ships have different dining rooms too, for Aqua or Suite guests and a much more in your face in the middle of the ship lounge exclusively for Suite guests. Frankly, I don’t care which grade of cabin people have-it’s the people themselves that matter and apart from a couple of loud, crass Americans, everyone I’ve ever spoken to on Cunard has been charming. We’ve been from Inside to Queens Grill. Like you, we had a bad P and O experience but on Arcadia so they’re off the list now.

Didn't in any way try to upset people and I know from experience that just as there are really nice people without money there are also people who are also really great who are wealthy. Over our many years on P&O I have meant some lovely people, who on the face of it seem to have a few more readies than I do. I believe I have done pretty well. Never had a working income above £30,000 and for the majority under £25,000 but still managed to have 18 cruises since 2002. Not blowing my own trumpet or anything like that. We have changed allegiance to Princess this year as last year sadly a 35 night cruise to the Caribbean, Mexico and US turned into a horror show. The day before embarkation we got a cabin upgrade, inside to sea view. Very nice. Had to change all the labels on luggage. Got to Southampton whereupon met with huge queues and piles of suitcases. Ventura had arrived six hours late. Instead of sailing at 5 p.m. it was 11.30 pm. Sailing to Bermuda told several days out we wouldn't be stopping there. So 10 days of sailing to Freeport Bahamas. Like Cozumel, but thought Roatan and Belize a waste of time. On to New Orleans where we had to go through immigration. Supposed to be two days in port, for some it turned into much less as they didn't get off the ship until 4.30 pm in the afternoon. On to Miami where due to having done most of the excursions before decided on one to a shopping mall. Great star, the coach was supposed to be suitable for wheelchairs. The lift didn't work, so not only were we late getting away, but one poor fella was left behind. Supposed to have been given vouchers for the mall and a map. Nothing. The driver and the guide didn't even know when we were meant to return to the ship. The passengers decided. The list goes on with poor food, awful entertainment except for two tribute acts and I had paid £400 for a package that included Champagne breakfast, Champagne glasses, P&O dressing gown and slippers, two speciality dining experiences, formal photo and frame and a facial or massage for myself and wife. I had contacted P&O two weeks prior to the cruise to make sure everything would be in my cabin on arrival. You guessed it, nothing, zilch. Took me 17 days to sort everything out. Basically going to reception every day. The only cruise where 10 days to go and I wished I was at home.

2 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Didn't in any way try to upset people and I know from experience that just as there are really nice people without money there are also people who are also really great who are wealthy. Over our many years on P&O I have meant some lovely people, who on the face of it seem to have a few more readies than I do. I believe I have done pretty well. Never had a working income above £30,000 and for the majority under £25,000 but still managed to have 18 cruises since 2002. Not blowing my own trumpet or anything like that. We have changed allegiance to Princess this year as last year sadly a 35 night cruise to the Caribbean, Mexico and US turned into a horror show. The day before embarkation we got a cabin upgrade, inside to sea view. Very nice. Had to change all the labels on luggage. Got to Southampton whereupon met with huge queues and piles of suitcases. Ventura had arrived six hours late. Instead of sailing at 5 p.m. it was 11.30 pm. Sailing to Bermuda told several days out we wouldn't be stopping there. So 10 days of sailing to Freeport Bahamas. Like Cozumel, but thought Roatan and Belize a waste of time. On to New Orleans where we had to go through immigration. Supposed to be two days in port, for some it turned into much less as they didn't get off the ship until 4.30 pm in the afternoon. On to Miami where due to having done most of the excursions before decided on one to a shopping mall. Great star, the coach was supposed to be suitable for wheelchairs. The lift didn't work, so not only were we late getting away, but one poor fella was left behind. Supposed to have been given vouchers for the mall and a map. Nothing. The driver and the guide didn't even know when we were meant to return to the ship. The passengers decided. The list goes on with poor food, awful entertainment except for two tribute acts and I had paid £400 for a package that included Champagne breakfast, Champagne glasses, P&O dressing gown and slippers, two speciality dining experiences, formal photo and frame and a facial or massage for myself and wife. I had contacted P&O two weeks prior to the cruise to make sure everything would be in my cabin on arrival. You guessed it, nothing, zilch. Took me 17 days to sort everything out. Basically going to reception every day. The only cruise where 10 days to go and I wished I was at home.

Oh no! That sounds terrible and bitterly disappointing when it's a much anticipated holiday. Our P and O bad experience was only a 5 night one so it pales into insignificance next to yours- I won't go any further. Did you get refunded any money for missing Bermuda or the bad food? Jeez, they couldn't even get a tour bus right....

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

Oh no! That sounds terrible and bitterly disappointing when it's a much anticipated holiday. Our P and O bad experience was only a 5 night one so it pales into insignificance next to yours- I won't go any further. Did you get refunded any money for missing Bermuda or the bad food? Jeez, they couldn't even get a tour bus right....

I wrote to P&O on return and received a cheque for £700. I did consider turning it down, but accepted after some thought. We had booked a cruise for this year as well, but cancelled and booked one with Princess on Sky in September. When I hear of the nightmares some have on whatever holiday/vacation they have it's terrible as many won't be able to go again for at least another year and coming up to 74 I don't know how many more I will have. Fingers crossed it's several. By the way I wasn't the only one to moan about the cruise, we had people telling us they were keeping a diary of their problems and every day there were long queues at reception.

• Like 1

I agree with most comments thus far.  I am highest loyalty level on Cunard and Princess.  Just now starting with Celebrity (6 or 7 cruises I think) and they are quickly moving into my #1 slot. Just did Galapagos on Flora in May with Machu Picche extension - totally over the top fantastic!

It was always my childhood fantasy to cruise one day on the incomparable QE2, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful ocean liners in the world. (We have cruise ships now, not ocean liners).

My dream came true in 2003 at the age of 63 when I took one of the last TA crossings from NYC to Southampton when it was announced that this beautiful lady was being replaced for TA by the new QM2.  It was then or never.  And I totally fell in love with Cunard.  My friends teased me with the typical Titanic comments and the “class” categories.  I had chosen one level up from steerage and sailed in Britania class (at that time). I was fortunate enough in 2008 to secure passage on the QE2 when she did her 40th anniversary cruise around the British Isles (before being sold to Dubai) in a Princess Grill.   I find it amusing now that for all those years I sailed on Cunard and was continually teased about “class” - When now ALL the mainstream lines offer every “class” in the book, each with their own dining rooms and other “perks”!!  And certain people love to brag about the “class” they booked for such and such trip.  

History with Cunard continued on to maiden voyages on all the new Queens and with various other Cunard itineraries. I love the quiet, relaxed sophisticated atmosphere and elegant decor of the ships.  Tea time is a favorite venue, running a close second to the incredible lecture series. Some might call their ships boring, but to me they harken back to the nostalgia of the golden era of crossing the ocean before airplanes.  So, if that is your preference, you will like Cunard.

For me now, being a non drinker and basing my cruises on “where do I want to go see next” itinerary destinations, I mostly book interior, with no package add-on (we use cabin for sleep, bathing and dressing) as we enjoy being on decks and excursions.  And saves a lot of money for my healthy travel appetite. Have been blessed with 2 world cruises, northern and southern hemispheres, on the lovely Pacific Princess in 2017 and 2019, all the continents including Antartica, with Princess.

We have been cruising with Princess since 2012. When it became a travel mode I preferred as we aged where you unpacked once and hotel and food and entertainment included vs all our years of land tours, it was then we realized you generally have to travel to Europe to board a Cunard ship.  Apart from TA and Alaska and some Canada/New England itineraries, Cunard is not based out of many USA ports. A friend advised me that since we had began with Cunard, and she sailed Princess, she thought it might be a good fit.  And it has been.  Very similar vibes.  We have enjoyed Princess immensely.  

But after Covid, Princess seemed to change as we did the New Year Eve cruise on the new Enchanted from 2021 into 2022, and used other credits for the new Panama Canal locks.  Then our rescheduled 21 day Med in 2023 on Enchanted.  And after that I was becoming more not happy - mostly because of the dining  where no longer a fixed time.  And MDR being such a large part of cruising, it was stressful.  I tried to adapt and be open minded but still stressful.  And I got very tired of their pushing the Medallion on every facet of your cruise.  Plus we had done most of their itineraries.  

So we moved on to Celebrity.  They are very very similar to Princess, and actually remind me of how I felt on Princess pre-covid.  But their ships seem more open to being able to see the ocean from any location and just have a casual atmosphere.  A good mix of places to enjoy the party atmosphere and the quiet places.  

We will be trying Princess again Sept 23 moving the new Sun Princess from Southamptom to FLL for 16 days.  As this is a totally new ship design for Princess, I can have all those days to decide what I think.  I am a little concerned that one of my favorite places in the past on Princess was the Atrium. It was a great open place to sit and enjoy some nice entertainment and food and beverages and talk to fellow passengers.  But since my post covid cruises, they seem to have brought a more party atmosphere to this area and is not as quiet - I really don’t think Zumba and Line Dancing belong there….but I will be open minded.  

So sorry for my life cruise history, but all 3 lines are very similar with, I would say, varying nusances - none of them are bad by any means.  

So, you just have to decide what works best for what you need the most from a cruise.  Don’t be hesitant to try a different cruise line on a 7 day cruise and see if it fits you. We tried several after Covid - Virgin Voyages, Oceania, Azamara, NCL, Holland and Celebrity.  

Just as in love there is someone for everyone.

And their is a cruise line for everyone.

Thanks for reading….😁

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

I agree with most comments thus far.  I am highest loyalty level on Cunard and Princess.  Just now starting with Celebrity (6 or 7 cruises I think) and they are quickly moving into my #1 slot. Just did Galapagos on Flora in May with Machu Picche extension - totally over the top fantastic!

It was always my childhood fantasy to cruise one day on the incomparable QE2, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful ocean liners in the world. (We have cruise ships now, not ocean liners).

My dream came true in 2003 at the age of 63 when I took one of the last TA crossings from NYC to Southampton when it was announced that this beautiful lady was being replaced for TA by the new QM2.  It was then or never.  And I totally fell in love with Cunard.  My friends teased me with the typical Titanic comments and the “class” categories.  I had chosen one level up from steerage and sailed in Britania class (at that time). I was fortunate enough in 2008 to secure passage on the QE2 when she did her 40th anniversary cruise around the British Isles (before being sold to Dubai) in a Princess Grill.   I find it amusing now that for all those years I sailed on Cunard and was continually teased about “class” - When now ALL the mainstream lines offer every “class” in the book, each with their own dining rooms and other “perks”!!  And certain people love to brag about the “class” they booked for such and such trip.  

History with Cunard continued on to maiden voyages on all the new Queens and with various other Cunard itineraries. I love the quiet, relaxed sophisticated atmosphere and elegant decor of the ships.  Tea time is a favorite venue, running a close second to the incredible lecture series. Some might call their ships boring, but to me they harken back to the nostalgia of the golden era of crossing the ocean before airplanes.  So, if that is your preference, you will like Cunard.

For me now, being a non drinker and basing my cruises on “where do I want to go see next” itinerary destinations, I mostly book interior, with no package add-on (we use cabin for sleep, bathing and dressing) as we enjoy being on decks and excursions.  And saves a lot of money for my healthy travel appetite. Have been blessed with 2 world cruises, northern and southern hemispheres, on the lovely Pacific Princess in 2017 and 2019, all the continents including Antartica, with Princess.

We have been cruising with Princess since 2012. When it became a travel mode I preferred as we aged where you unpacked once and hotel and food and entertainment included vs all our years of land tours, it was then we realized you generally have to travel to Europe to board a Cunard ship.  Apart from TA and Alaska and some Canada/New England itineraries, Cunard is not based out of many USA ports. A friend advised me that since we had began with Cunard, and she sailed Princess, she thought it might be a good fit.  And it has been.  Very similar vibes.  We have enjoyed Princess immensely.  

But after Covid, Princess seemed to change as we did the New Year Eve cruise on the new Enchanted from 2021 into 2022, and used other credits for the new Panama Canal locks.  Then our rescheduled 21 day Med in 2023 on Enchanted.  And after that I was becoming more not happy - mostly because of the dining  where no longer a fixed time.  And MDR being such a large part of cruising, it was stressful.  I tried to adapt and be open minded but still stressful.  And I got very tired of their pushing the Medallion on every facet of your cruise.  Plus we had done most of their itineraries.  

So we moved on to Celebrity.  They are very very similar to Princess, and actually remind me of how I felt on Princess pre-covid.  But their ships seem more open to being able to see the ocean from any location and just have a casual atmosphere.  A good mix of places to enjoy the party atmosphere and the quiet places.  

We will be trying Princess again Sept 23 moving the new Sun Princess from Southamptom to FLL for 16 days.  As this is a totally new ship design for Princess, I can have all those days to decide what I think.  I am a little concerned that one of my favorite places in the past on Princess was the Atrium. It was a great open place to sit and enjoy some nice entertainment and food and beverages and talk to fellow passengers.  But since my post covid cruises, they seem to have brought a more party atmosphere to this area and is not as quiet - I really don’t think Zumba and Line Dancing belong there….but I will be open minded.  

So sorry for my life cruise history, but all 3 lines are very similar with, I would say, varying nusances - none of them are bad by any means.  

So, you just have to decide what works best for what you need the most from a cruise.  Don’t be hesitant to try a different cruise line on a 7 day cruise and see if it fits you. We tried several after Covid - Virgin Voyages, Oceania, Azamara, NCL, Holland and Celebrity.  

Just as in love there is someone for everyone.

And their is a cruise line for everyone.

Thanks for reading….😁

Thanks for writing such a comprehensive, clear analysis of all three! It was very helpful to me and to others who’ll read it. We enjoy Celebrity too, although my fantasy perfect ship would be Queen Victoria with Celebrity’s Cafe al Baccio and the Martini bar!

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

Thanks for writing such a comprehensive, clear analysis of all three! It was very helpful to me and to others who’ll read it. We enjoy Celebrity too, although my fantasy perfect ship would be Queen Victoria with Celebrity’s Cafe al Baccio and the Martini bar!

My favorite of the new Queens is Elizabeth.  Desparetly trying to find a cruise on the new Queen Anne for 2025 that will coincide with our booked TA moving the Celebrity Apex from Southampton back to FLL. 

My favorite places on Celebrity is Solarium, Cafe al Baccio and Eden.