Average Age of Cruisers

Cruise Anorak

Hi, I am looking at a cruise in December this year and was wondering the average age of guests. I am late 50's will I be one out of place. Not done a Saga 

cruise , but have been on several with other companies. Thanks

You will be younger than almost all passengers undoubtedly, youngest 5% , but that would be true of many lines except the family orientated ones. Average  age guess mid to late 70s. Yes some quite old but that's because Saga is very good at looking after them .

However don't be put off, it's not all zimmer frames. Saga passengers tend to be young for their age.

For example , on my first Saga cruise in 2022 the hastily rearranged "not the black sea" , even though less than 500 passengers,  20 plus entered a charity 10k run for Ukraine.

The Brittania lounge at night can be lively if the band chooses right music  , more Beatles than ballroom.

Just avoid included panoramic coach tours.

We have completed two cruises with Saga - we were 57 & 58 on our first one. The average age was around mid 70's on our first cruise but we had great fun, as Windsurfboy says, they were young at heart and everyone had a great time. 

Our second cruise was average age 80 plus, even then they were mostly great fun to be with. We have booked again for next summer so it cant have been all bad 😀

I tend to feel i don't belong in the current world and am happiest with more like minded people who like me, don't get all the woke situation at work or socially.  The older passengers just speak as they find and i found that so refreshing.

Dip your toe in- i don't think you would be disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The average age varies quite a lot; I have been on cruises where everybody seemed to be in their 90s, others where I wondered how so many youngsters managed to get on board.

Oddly, nobody ever seemed to feel "out of place" as every Saga cruise I have been on people simply seem to happily blend together.

The on-board entertainment can sometimes be geared towards the older group(depends on the Cruise Director), the various excursions cater for both the less mobile and the extremely active. (Nordic walking poles are at the exit gangway for those going on a volcanic crater hike...)(Did it once - got overtaken by some older passengers going down and up like mountain goats).

If you get bored, they have an excellent gymnasium.

Yes, they are expensive compared to many other lines - but the cost is paying for both the visible extras and the hidden support.

Many people rebook another Saga cruise after their first one, so must be doing something right.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cruise Anorak said:

Thank you all for your replies, I am thinking of booking, but trying to get my head around the price for a solo cabin

Best advice I can give is to book a single cabin as soon as cruises are launched, as the price goes up as cabins are sold.  Even better, pre-register for 2026 for £90, and Saga will phone you prior to the cruises being advertised to the general public. If you book the £90 is deducted from your deposit, or can be refunded or moved to the next year if you decide not to book.

2 hours ago, DohaBreeze said:

We have completed two cruises with Saga - we were 57 & 58 on our first one. The average age was around mid 70's on our first cruise but we had great fun, as Windsurfboy says, they were young at heart and everyone had a great time. 

Our second cruise was average age 80 plus, even then they were mostly great fun to be with. We have booked again for next summer so it cant have been all bad I tend to feel i don't belong in the current world and am happiest with more like minded people who like me, don't get all the woke situation at work or socially.  The older passengers just speak as they find and i found that so refreshing.

Dip your toe in- i don't think you would be disappointed.

We’ve been disappointed by the smug casual racism of numerous Saga customers. I’ve had to point out to a number of apparently charming septuagenarians that my non-white relatives are every bit as British as I am. Of course that’s not an issue exclusive to Saga. But we don’t spend £1,000 or more a night to be stuck with ignorant knuckle-draggers, regardless of their age or level of affluence. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spence55 said:

We’ve been disappointed by the smug casual racism of numerous Saga customers. I’ve had to point out to a number of apparently charming septuagenarians that my non-white relatives are every bit as British as I am. Of course that’s not an issue exclusive to Saga. But we don’t spend £1,000 or more a night to be stuck with ignorant knuckle-draggers, regardless of their age or level of affluence. 

That is very sad to hear - but if this relates in any way to the "and where are you from?" question - many Saga cruisers ask everybody the same question, often they want to swap tales of how good/bad/exhausting the included transport was. After giving a general location, a bit of ponder, then the next question "Oh - I think I know that, is it just outside xxx?"

(Where we come from is so downmarket that nobody ever knows it. We now just say the nearest large town).

Attempting to make small talk that does not include politics or religion can be a bit of a minefield at times.

Sadly, there can be ignorant and/or unpleasant people on any cruise, and Saga is not exempt from having their fair share of of people that you would rather not meet again.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Spence55 said:

You seem to have misinterpreted what i was saying. I was raised in a very inclusive environment in my family, with friends from a variety of backgrounds, racism is a terrible thing and should never be condoned. I have spent many years of my adult life living in different cultures in different countries so I have an understanding of life in different cultures - other than British. My comment was only an observation of the differences in my Workplace now - to when i was younger, such as having to use Pronouns on your email strips, etc. I object to being a she / her  - I have a name. My mother used to say that "she" was the cats mother, so was brought up to use peoples names. References to "ignorant Knuckle draggers" is such an awful description, most people are not like that at all, but you do get the occasional rude person who speaks to people in a disrespectful way, but you get them in all walks of life. So Spence 55 please do not class myself or family in the Ignorant Knuckle draggers category. 🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Spence55 said:

I  think an inaccurate description of the vast majority of Saga passengers. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruise Anorak said:

Thank you all for your replies, I am thinking of booking, but trying to get my head around the price for a solo cabin

Saga seems to be very good for Solo passengers, in the way the help them get to know each other.

You could also try a last minute (3 months) guarantee these can be good bargains  compared to standard price. Remember there are NO bad cabins on Saga, no nasty surprises. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Unnecessary.   And  I  think an inaccurate description of the vast majority of Saga passengers. 

Totally agree, my main disappointment with Saga passengers is not the ages but that they are all British.

I really miss the international mix that we were used to in our previous favourite line Azamara.

I know that is only to be expected, we came to Saga because we no longer fly and the home pick up suits us at our time of life.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

I am a fairly recent convert to Saga having previously cruised (since the mid 1990s) on lines like P&O, Cunard and Celebrity. I have found that the age range of passengers varies considerably - higher in the Winter, lower in the Summer - but is not dissimilar to say P&O outside school holidays and certainly no higher (and probably lower!) than P&Os adults only ships. Saga travellers are by and large well travelled and well read and make excellent company.

As regards entertainment, my main critisism is the undue emphasis give (in my personal opinion) to classical music, show tunes and "middle of the road" artists like Neil Diamond and John Denver. I was born in the late 1940s and we were the rock n roll generation. We grew up with Elvis, Cliff and Billy Fury. Entered our teens with Dylan, the Beatles and the Stones, our 20s with Led Zep, David Bowie and Bruce Springsteen, and our middle age with Oasis and Blur! We also listen to country music, blues and reggae. A little more variety would be much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spence55 said:

I'm sorry to hear that.... I was quite worried that as a gay couple and the obvious age of the passengers we would feel "awkward" at times but ours was a really happy cruise. Really interesting, great fellow passengers and bad "Dad " dancing  with my partner in the Britannia lounge was just ordinary as it should be.... Nick 

• Like 4

On 8/5/2024 at 3:06 PM, Spence55 said:

I went on a Saga cruise last August, and I was shocked at how many people's opening conversational gambit was to complain in a very unpleasant way about asylum seekers crossing the channel in small boats.

As the dining tables are so close together, we were exposed to this several times. My husband and I don't enjoy small talk with strangers at the best of times, so I didn't want to have a conversation in the first place, but felt compelled to push back at the racism on display.  

For this and some other reasons, we won't cruise with Saga again. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I went on a Saga cruise last August, and I was shocked at how many people's opening conversational gambit was to complain in a very unpleasant way about asylum seekers crossing the channel in small boats.

As the dining tables are so close together, we were exposed to this several times. My husband and I don't enjoy small talk with strangers at the best of times, so I didn't want to have a conversation in the first place, but felt compelled to push back at the racism on display.  

Never had this or anything similar said to me at all on Saga as opening comment or as part of a conversation. Most conversations start of with small talk about port or ship or even Saga. 

I do not recognise Saga as a bastion of old bigots to borrow Gordon Brown's words. Perhaps I've been lucky in my fellow passengers, only been on two cruises with Saga , both  quite long 31 days ,  so actually must have interacted with a large percentage of passengers on each cruise. 

It is strange but very common how in many threads on cruise  critic,  you get such different experiences on the same ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Never had this or anything similar said to me at all on Saga as opening comment or as part of a conversation. Most conversations start of with small talk about port or ship or even Saga. 

I do not recognise Saga as a bastion of old bigots to borrow Gordon Brown's words. Perhaps I've been lucky in my fellow passengers, only been on two cruises with Saga , both  quite long 31 days ,  so actually must have interacted with a large percentage of passengers on each cruise. 

It is strange but very common how in many threads on cruise  critic,  you get such different experiences on the same ship.

My experience entirely. I have been on a number of Saga ocean and river cruises over the past few years, sharing a table at most meals. I have never on any occasion heard the issue of illegal immigration being raised at the dining table. Indeed, from my experience Saga cruisers tend to avoid potentially contentious topics and follow the old addage of no politics or religion.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2024 at 11:37 AM, Cruise Anorak said:

Hi, I am looking at a cruise in December this year and was wondering the average age of guests. I am late 50's will I be one out of place. Not done a Saga 

cruise , but have been on several with other companies. Thanks

Young I'd say. The Canaries are popular with the oldies.

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Sorry to hear that - it would bother us too. We have had similar experiences over similar matters on P&O over recent years, and it's an area I won't get drawn into. Too many people taking their lead from certain newspapers intent on stirring up trouble.

• Like 1

Readers of this forum may not be aware that last November SOA rescued a wooden boat, full of young men, adrift in the Atlantic about 4 hours north of Lanzarote, Passengers were made aware of the situation by the excellent Captain Tanner, who kept us continually updated. Those of us on the starboard side were able to watch what was happening beneath our balconies, as the migrant boat was floodlit by our ship and the Captain was using a loud hailer to communicate with the migrants. The Captain summoned the Spanish  coastguard from the Canaries and we stayed with the boat until the rescue boat appeared about 4 hours later. Had SOA not spotted the boat and come to its aid, in accordance with maritime law, those migrants would have carried on drifting across the Atlantic.

Obviously there was a lot of discussion the next day about what had happened. I heard nothing racist, only praise for the Captain’s action, horror at what could have happened to the migrants and concern at how the illegal boat migration is getting out of hand all over the world.

• Like 4

As one woman who considered herself not a racist said at dinner one night:

"I don't have a problem with black people at all. But would you want your daughter to marry one?" 

I suppose it's inevitable that among 900 older people there will be some that can't see their own prejudices. Just ignore them. 

• Like 1

Probably because Saga passengers are what tend to be called 'middle class' they generally avoid any difficult topics like politics, religion, race and how much anyone is worth in on board conversations.  Thank goodness.  Most of our conversations with people we have met on board have been about cruising, travel, whereabouts we live and hobbies etc.  And it often takes quite a while to find out that someone has had a fascinating job, or met the King etc., as most are not given to boasting,  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Probably because Saga passengers are what tend to be called 'middle class' they generally avoid any difficult topics like politics, religion, race and how much anyone is worth in on board conversations.  Thank goodness.  Most of our conversations with people we have met on board have been about cruising, travel, whereabouts we live and hobbies etc.  And it often takes quite a while to find out that someone has had a fascinating job, or met the King etc., as most are not given to boasting,  

That may be more of an age thing than a class thing. Wholly working class, but still reared to avoid contentious subjects when conversing with others. If the conversation starts veering to subjects that are likely to cause conflict or awkward pauses, non-committal responses and and a digression to safer ground.(which is when "has anyone seen the weather forecast?" is such a useful question).

And - also possibly an age thing - the ability to accept that people may say things that I very much disagree with, but who is to say that their opinion is not as valid as my opinion? No sense in getting inflamed about it.

But I have never had cause to "veer" the conversation on any cruise yet.(One typical conversation about who had travelled furthest to join the ship seemed to point to a clear winner from Scotland until trumped by lady from Canada).(On another cruise, a couple from Sri Lanka seemed to be the winners until decided that as they were already in the UK on holiday their air flight did not count).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

Young I'd say. The Canaries are popular with the oldies.

I have been on several Winter cruises to the Canary Islands with Saga, also Summer cruises to the Baltic. The Winter cruises definately attracted an older age group than the Summer, mainly retired people like myself in search of a bit of Winter warmth. The Summer cruises also attracted working people on their Summer holidays, lowering the average age significantly.