Holland America Cruise Pricing

58 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not my idea of a vacation 13 nights in a windowless cave. 🤑

Maybe not, but the entire point is that mass market cruise lines are resilient during economic downturns. One reason is because  of such low price alternatives.

Sometimes the vast number of room choices gives me paralysis by analysis.

Its nice that there's a room for every taste though.  From that 'windowless cave' to that 'huge waste of money' suite.

I kid on both quotes.  Each makes no sense and all the sense in the world to different people.

I do believe deals are rarer at the moment which is bad for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A windowless cave is fine for sleeping and dressing and truthfully that's about all I use a cabin for. 

Everyone's different...

And for those of us sailing solo and paying double, that may be all we can afford. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roz said:

And for those of us sailing solo and paying double, that may be all we can afford. 

And, to add, that is a number one consideration for many.  Including me. I'm certainly not poor but have priorities other than cruising.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, albingirl said:

And, to add, that is a number one consideration for many.  Including me. I'm certainly not poor but have priorities other than cruising.

We sail in everything from insides to suites depending upon the line, and the cruise itinerary.

The one advantage for an inside is that they are quiet. No outside house from wind, neighbors talking on balcony, balcony furniture banging on dividers, tender operations, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TRLD said:

We sail in everything from insides to suites depending upon the line, and the cruise itinerary.

The one advantage for an inside is that they are quiet. No outside house from wind, neighbors talking on balcony, balcony furniture banging on dividers, tender operations, etc.

Slamming doors at all hours when you have a balcony is a real downer. Outside cabins on a lower deck are much quieter. But, I do take a balcony on a long cruise, in spite of it all lol 

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Not my idea of a vacation 13 nights in a windowless cave. 🤑

You are lucky.  The tiniest sliver of light wakes me.  I can sleep through noise and motion but not light.   I welcome the dark oasis. In recent years it has become increasingly difficult to find a large enough interior cabin to suit me.  The older HAL ships still have spacious insides 

On 8/9/2024 at 2:20 PM, oakridger said:

Is this true? I wonder what the data will report for last two quarters of 2024.   I have been land traveling most of this summer and I still "feel like" hotel prices are what I consider pretty "high" compared to the per day cruise prices on HAL. Restaurant prices are way up as well.  On a cruise, besides a room, I get all the food, entertainment and with HIA the drinks!  Then of course, I also put a large added value on just being on the ocean every day.

~Nancy

same here.   but I keep hearing it is coming.   note that the experts have been saying that are  well over a year late on realizing it.   some people (like over 50% of American's) believe that the economy is horribly worse than 2020.   Actuality is that it depends.  for people on this board, I'd hazard that they are generally better off.   I know for me it depends on how I orient my glasses :P.  

57 minutes ago, 90scruzer said:

same here.   but I keep hearing it is coming.   note that the experts have been saying that are  well over a year late on realizing it.   some people (like over 50% of American's) believe that the economy is horribly worse than 2020.   Actuality is that it depends.  for people on this board, I'd hazard that they are generally better off.   I know for me it depends on how I orient my glasses :P.  

Are they rose colored?

The pricing on HAL's newer ships is steep compared to what they are charging on the older ships. We booked, then ultimately canceled, a British Isles cruise for 2025 on the Nieuw Statendam. It was $21,800 for 3 of us in a Neptune for 14-days (including the HIA package). When HAL started changing ports, we decided it was too expensive to pay for port substitutions we didn't want and booked a Med cruise with Celebrity instead. Last week, we booked a 14-day Greek Isles/Egypt cruise for 2026 with HAL at $16,000 for 3 of us (with HIA) on the Oosterdam. The only reason I'm still sailing with HAL is they've been able to woo me with certain itineraries that other lines don't offer. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, keysey222 said:

The pricing on HAL's newer ships is steep compared to what they are charging on the older ships. We booked, then ultimately canceled, a British Isles cruise for 2025 on the Nieuw Statendam. It was $21,800 for 3 of us in a Neptune for 14-days (including the HIA package). When HAL started changing ports, we decided it was too expensive to pay for port substitutions we didn't want and booked a Med cruise with Celebrity instead. Last week, we booked a 14-day Greek Isles/Egypt cruise for 2026 with HAL at $16,000 for 3 of us (with HIA) on the Oosterdam. The only reason I'm still sailing with HAL is they've been able to woo me with certain itineraries that other lines don't offer. 

Yes HAL does offer great itineraries  ,then they charge accordingly. We see the prices the way they are all do to the debt load that all the cruise lines are carrying . to stay afloat & pay down the debt they amassed from the covid shutdown ,this is the result imo

On 8/12/2024 at 10:16 AM, TRLD said:

Maybe not, but the entire point is that mass market cruise lines are resilient during economic downturns. One reason is because  of such low price alternatives.

Huh? I thought your entire point was...

image.png.dbfc76cb695a205e1b8b12ea88d1d747.png

I stand behind my comment that the above statement is both misleading and factually incorrect (as are many of your non-referenced 'numbers').

In the words of @Roz, I'm going to just drop this topic now in hopes of avoiding another financial analysis seminar and will  try to do better avoiding participating in financial discussions.

PS: I never doubted that cruise lines were resilient (and they still are). Nor do I feel all cruise financials are 'doom and gloom'. I'm sort of a happy medium girl :). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Interesting development.......

Very interesting indeed. I just did a search for news of the mariner number merge and found nothing. I do know a journalist at cruise hive who I have reached out to on occasion. I'm going to send this to her in case she hasn't read it yet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Huh? I thought your entire point was...

image.png.dbfc76cb695a205e1b8b12ea88d1d747.png

I stand behind my comment that the above statement is both misleading and factually incorrect (as are many of your non-referenced 'numbers').

In the words of @Roz, I'm going to just drop this topic now in hopes of avoiding another financial analysis seminar and will  try to do better avoiding participating in financial discussions.

PS: I never doubted that cruise lines were resilient (and they still are).

Too funny. While i used the Caenival PLC data set the numbers you posted say basically the same thing.

The impact of the recession was limited. The cruise line continued to expand in both capacity and number of passengers even during the recession. While gross revenue did drop in the second year of the recession (the same year when swine flu h1n1 was causing problems) it did not drop below 2007 the year before the recession. In 2010 it was almost back to the 2008 number and climbed after that point.

So  both dats sets the UK and the US basically say the same thing the recession had limited impact on CCL compared to other travel companies such as airlines or hotels.

I seem to recall you questioning CCLs abilility to withstand a down turn.

Edited by TRLD
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TRLD said:

Are they rose colored?

only time will tell!   my invention of a Time Machine have utterly failed to mature, so I muddle forward in time the best I can 😄

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Interesting development.......

I just checked - at least mine are not the same ... yet.

• Like 1

We just checked (5* Mariners and Princess Elite) and our HAL number has not changed!  We still have separate numbers for each line.  Seabourn also has its own number.

Hank

Just now, mcrcruiser said:
4 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Interesting development... what will that mean for each cruise line on board cash credits & on board perks ?

I wonder the same thing.  I would hate to lose our 4 star Mariner perks.   We have three upcoming cruises.  However, we are about done with cruising but this is a whole other subject, LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I wonder the same thing.  I would hate to lose our 4 star Mariner perks.   We have three upcoming cruises.  However, we are about done with cruising but this is a whole other subject, LOL.

Yes we understand as we are getting to a age point  yet we stil can get to our home port with out flying  .

About combining Princess & Holland  points ,Long ago RCL & Celebrity are one in the same  which meant  you got your tier for on board  perks  no  matter which line you sailed .so perhaps that will be the case with Princess & HAL combining  but we will see how it all rolls out . 

32 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes we understand as we are getting to a age point  yet we stil can get to our home port with out flying  .

About combining Princess & Holland  points ,Long ago RCL & Celebrity are one in the same  which meant  you got your tier for on board  perks  no  matter which line you sailed .so perhaps that will be the case with Princess & HAL combining  but we will see how it all rolls out . 

With RCL and Celebrity they do not combine points. You earn status seperately with each line. They will give you the highest status you have earned on either line.

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

With RCL and Celebrity they do not combine points. You earn status seperately with each line. They will give you the highest status you have earned on either line.

To clarify if you are Elite on Celebrity you get the diamond perks on board a RCL ship  /We are Elite Plus with Celebrity ;however ,when we dailed on a RCL ship we did not get Diamond Plus but just Diamond .It made no difference to us as long as we were able to go into the Diamond Lounge . Yes Dia,omd Plus does get some extra on board perks but not imortant to us . Since we no longer can fly ,we no longer wish to go to San pedro ,LA area to board a RCL ship  .Parking there for handicap people is not very good & my personal experience sailing on a Celebrity ship from that terminal was not good at all . It was not the ship but the side walk loading & unloading that needed vast improvement

We never will sail Princess again because of their Ocean Ready /Medallion .You must place all pre boarding info on Ocean Ready .ie .Candidly ,I am too old to learn new tech tricks .

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We never will sail Princess again because of their Ocean Ready /Medallion .You must place all pre boarding info on Ocean Ready .ie .Candidly ,I am too old to learn new tech tricks .

This has all gotten confusing. Mercury is in retrograde right now and we are in the middle of that. World is upside down. So is this thread....

• Haha 7

Imo the justification for current cruise ship cabin prices is  the inflation rates over the last 3  plus years comparing the inflation to pre covid cruise fares  . So if inflation can be tamed & reduced then we will see what impact that may or may not have on cruise fares