Plus Upgrade Question

We will have our first sailing with Princess next August, but it will be our 9th cruise. As Princess newbies, if we upgrade to the "Plus" option, it applies for the first 2 guests, which is fine as my husband and I believe it will be worthwhile on the 14 day sailing. However, our children will be ages 15 & 17 at the time of sailing. Would we have to add them to the Plus perk, or are there other packages for them? Obviously, they don't drink alcohol.

• Like 1

No you do not have to add your children but if you purchase it then the alcoholic drinks part only applies the those 21 and older otherwise as per the terms and conditions:

Plus Beverage Package is valid only for guests who are 21 years or older. Guests under 21 booked under Princess Plus will receive the Zero-Alcohol Drink Package and will not receive any refund for the difference.

Ok thank you. Just trying to figure out the most economical way here. My daughter doesn't drink anything carbonated. Even the zero alcohol or soda only package would be a waste for her. So if we decide to go to the specialty restaurants included in the Plus package for my husband and I, it seems it would be more feasible to pay the $15 charge to have the kids join us. 

• Like 1

"So if we decide to go to the specialty restaurants included in the Plus package"

To be clear, the plus package includes 2 casual dining meals, not specialty restaurant meals. Casual restaurants vary by ship. Some ships have better selections than others.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Yes, thank you. But the casual restaurants included in the Plus would still have a charge for our kids if we decide to go altogether, and only 2 of us have the Plus perk. 

Correct. It would appear that unless your kids are going to want/need internet during the cruise there is no way that they will benefit from getting Plus. So everything they do will show up as a line item on your folio: Crew Appreciation every day. $14.99 or a la carte pricing for Casual Restaurants. ($14.99 if they opt for the Starter/Main/Dessert option or a la carte if they just want a Main). Sodas, juices, hot chocolate. But I don’t see any way that this could add up to $60 per day. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Yes, thank you. But the casual restaurants included in the Plus would still have a charge for our kids if we decide to go altogether, and only 2 of us have the Plus perk. 

Not sure how old the kids are but if they aren’t going to order a full meal, they can probably get away with just having a piece of your pizza (if you go to Alfredo’s), as you the adults each get one.  We always just share one of the price fixed meals even though we always get a package.  If they are going to be sticklers (and I doubt they will unless they are grown teenagers) the casual dining venues also have a la carte pricing so, they wouldn’t have to go with the whole $14.99 meal.  They could even split a pizza or main course for $8.50.  
It doesn't make a lot of sense to get the package for kids.  The caveat is, if you are booked with one child and one adult in each cabin, you do have to purchase the package for the two first occupants in each cabin.  If you are all sharing a room, you will have no problems.  

oops:  just saw the ages of the kids in your OP .. my mistake. 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

Great advice, much appreciated. Our children are teens. I don't mind paying the $14.99, but the option of splitting may be something to consider if it's just a casual lunch after an excursion day. We are all in one cabin, so I think it makes the most sense to purchase the Plus for hubby and I, and then pay as we go for the Alfredo's or any other casual dining. The soda packages aren't worth it for our children. Even if my son has 1 soda per day, it's not worth the package fee. Regarding Internet, we may purchase 1 extra device and thus between the 4 of us we would then have 3 devices, 2 with the Plus package for hubby and I and one as an extra paid. More than enough. 

• Like 1

You can share your internet with your children. Only two devices at a time can be connected. I switch back and forth from connecting my cell phone and my laptop. I don't have to remember to log one of them off--it does it automatically when I log on on the other device.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Great advice, much appreciated. Our children are teens. I don't mind paying the $14.99, but the option of splitting may be something to consider if it's just a casual lunch after an excursion day. We are all in one cabin, so I think it makes the most sense to purchase the Plus for hubby and I, and then pay as we go for the Alfredo's or any other casual dining. The soda packages aren't worth it for our children. Even if my son has 1 soda per day, it's not worth the package fee. Regarding Internet, we may purchase 1 extra device and thus between the 4 of us we would then have 3 devices, 2 with the Plus package for hubby and I and one as an extra paid. More than enough. 

While they won’t be able to share a price fixed meal, they can simply each order off the a la carte menu and even split those entrees.  I agree, it wouldn’t be worth it for them to get their own package.  Even if your son has a soda, they will probably just charge it under your package.  Sharing is not allowed but with things like that, we’ve seen them turn a blind eye, even when we insist on paying for it when it’s for someone without a package.  I think they definitely care more about the sharing of alcohol or someone that orders 20 sodas or coffees a day.  
You can upgrade just one of your WiFi plans within the package to get 4 devices.  I think it is cheaper that way than to purchase one more plan.  ???  there have been some recent changes so, you’d just have to do the math on that one.  
Anyway, you can all share the WiFi.  There are no rules against that.  
Sounds like you have a solid plan and one that will save you money in the long run. Bon voyage!  

This will depend on several things. First do you want the kids to have WiFi, casual dining, beverage package and the other inclusions? 

you can just purchase a beverage package such as:

Classic soda package which allows sodas, Juice (not the juice bar), mocktails and smoothies where available. This package  is $17.69 a day and then you would have to add the crew appreciation of $16-$18 a day. Your total for these two options would be $33.69-$35.69.

The zero alcohol package would give the kids  all specialty or premium coffees and teas, hot chocolate, fountain sodas, cans of soda, fresh juices and healthy smoothies (from the juice bar), bottled water, Frappes at Coffee & Cones, mocktails, and smoothies as per the menu, Red Bull, sparkling bottles of water, Energy Drink and Milk Shakes (if available). This package is $ 35.39 a day. With crew appreciation hour total cost would be $51.39-$53.39.

The plus package is $60 and includes 

crew appreciation $16-$18

wifi for one device $24.99

2 fitness classes $10 each 

2 premium desserts a day $12 each

2 casual dining meals $14.99 each plus an 18% service charge.

Medallion shipping $10

Ocean now delivery which includes room service a one time fee of $14.99

the kids would receive the zero alcohol package $35.69.

i would recommend sitting down and figuring out what inclusions you would want the kids to have. Total them up and add in the beverage package you choose and see which makes more financial sense. 

It sounds like with those ages the kids probably need WiFi. Unless they are going to drink lots of sodas, mocktails or eat in casual dining a lot. It may be more practical to take one of your WiFi plans and change it to 4 devices. Then unless the kids are going to be throwing lots of drinks just leave them at standard and pay by the drink and pay grats

Posted (edited)

You are able to bring on soda and or water for the kids.  Also, as far as Wi-Fi goes, they can always sign on as you on their own devices for no extra charge - you and your husband have 2 wi-fi (one for each of you) with the plus package.  

Edited by candy4040

12 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

You are able to bring on soda and or water for the kids.  Also, as far as Wi-Fi goes, they can always sign on as you on their own devices for no extra charge - you and your husband have 2 wi-fi (one for each of you) with the plus package.  

Yes but that means all 4 are sharing 2 connection. Ever try to get a young person to log off so you can check your own accounts ?

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes but that means all 4 are sharing 2 connection. Ever try to get a young person to log off so you can check your own accounts ?

yes, we usually share one plan between the 3 of us. The person who uses wifi the most is my husband. Not our teen. At home both are connected 24/7, but not on a cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, we usually share one plan between the 3 of us. The person who uses wifi the most is my husband. Not our teen. At home both are connected 24/7, but not on a cruise.

We stay connected on a cruise as email is the only way most of family snd associates can contact us in emergencies and over 60 + cruises there have been many of them that couldn’t really wait till we get to port especially on cruises with 5 or more sea days at a time

If you have the plus package, I believe that you can upgrade the single device wifi to four devices for a small upgrade cost, that way you don't need to spent the additional money for two additional plus packages, if they are not drinking too much pop and other charge able drinks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, memoak said:

We stay connected on a cruise as email is the only way most of family and associates can contact us in emergencies and over 60 + cruises there have been many of them that couldn’t really wait till we get to port especially on cruises with 5 or more sea days at a time

yes, but one doesn't have to be connected ALL THE TIME. We can share and disconnect at times. You are not checking your email every 30 seconds, right?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy