Suggest ships based on Solariums

1 hour ago, Thoenix said:

For example, on our most recent vacation, we spent several hours on an in-depth discussion of a scientific paper on the s*xual behaviours of bats,

This sounds like a riot. Can I join?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I found Harmony's solarium to be the least crowded.  Since there is no pool there is less enticement for kids or parents with kids.  

Thank you for this information!  I didn't know there were any solariums in the fleet without pools.  Are there any others I should be aware of that you know of?

40 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Thank you for this information!  I didn't know there were any solariums in the fleet without pools.  Are there any others I should be aware of that you know of?

Odyssey has hot tubs but no pool.

• Like 2

MY DH, DD and I sailed on Anthem last March the week before Easter.  The ship was full of kids.  One crew member told me we had more than 1K kids on board.  I would believe it.  We spent lots of time in the Solarium.  To get there you walk through an indoor family pool.  It was jammed. This provided an indoor space for the kids, and I did not notice them much in the Solarium. Kids needed to walk through a short distance to get to the Solarium bistro--but, I did not notice many doing this.  YMMV

• Like 1

I personally prefer the Solariums of the Voyager and Freedom class ships over those of Oasis and Quantum class. I haven’t been in the other classes if ships so can’t comment on those. 
Voyager and Freedom have a decent sized pool, there are covered areas if you want to avoid the sun, and open areas if you want to sunbathe. Because they are not glass-enclosed sound does not get amplified. There is also no need for children to pass through. 
Oasis class, at least on Oasis and Allure which are the ships I have been on, you can’t swim in the pools and the area is mostly glass-enclosed and can get very hot.
The Quantum class, at least Odyssey, has very shallow pools, I’m talking about 1 foot of water. They are also glass-enclosed, but air conditioned. It was a very weird feeling to actually be chilled while sitting by a pool in the Caribbean. I wanted to feel

some heat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It does? I don't remember it. I just remember things that looked like hot tubs.

Someone posted pictures above of the pool in the Solarium on Odyssey. The two times I was on Odyssey the water was definitely on the chilly side in the Solarium. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Someone posted pictures above of the pool in the Solarium on Odyssey. The two times I was on Odyssey the water was definitely on the chilly side in the Solarium. 

Oh yeah, those things. When I think of pool I think of something longer that you could swim some strokes in.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Oh yeah, those things. When I think of pool I think of something longer that you could swim some strokes in.

Understand. I don’t think any of RCI’s pools are long enough for swimming, but I am not a swimmer. For me pools on a ship, and at Coco Cay, are a good place to cool off on a hot day, usually with a drink in my hand. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

To clarify, Odyssey (and other Quantum class) has cascading wading pools.

OdyDec-55230-1647531449.webp

OdyDec-48375-1640303230.webp

I think your description is almost right. They are definitely wading pools, not swimming pools. They sort of cascade in that water overflows from one to the other. However, it is important to know that from a people perspective they are not connected and each pool is entered from a separate side so you have to get out and walk around the pools to get to the next one. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

No idea why I thought they were big hot tubs? Either way, I've never been in a ship's pools or hot tubs.

I avoid them like the plague also.  I call them people soup...  DW loves the hot tubs though...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rncruiser said:

Voyager and Freedom have a decent sized pool, there are covered areas if you want to avoid the sun, and open areas if you want to sunbathe. Because they are not glass-enclosed sound does not get amplified. There is also no need for children to pass through.

The solariums on Voyager and Freedom class ships are aft of the forward stairs. This means that any kids and families using the forward stairs/elevators to get to the pool deck and windjammer will walk through the solarium. There's no reason to linger (since there's no bistro or park cafe), but there will be plenty of families and children passing through.

• Like 1

It’s been awhile since I have been on a Voyager or Freedom class ship, but I have sailed on them at least 10 times and never noticed many, if any, kids passing through. 

• Like 1

Just now, Robo1098 said:

Sorry saw the post and responded before reading the rest. Didn't mean to pile on. LOL

No worries. I tend to post in the same manner. I don't read through the thread first.

8 hours ago, rncruiser said:

It’s been awhile since I have been on a Voyager or Freedom class ship, but I have sailed on them at least 10 times and never noticed many, if any, kids passing through. 

My experience has been the complete opposite on Voyaget and Freedom class ships. I spend a lot of time in the Solarium on these ships since they are open above (i.e.no roof). Through out the day you frequently see lots of kids walking thru the Solarium to and from the forward elevators to the main pool area.