If you don't have a package......

If you don't have a package, do you have to pay the room delivery fee to change out the mini bar for Elite?

No need to comment the benefits of the package. We have cruise many times WITH a package, and it is not cost effective for us. We get the WIFI at a discount, we will pay tips ahead of time as well as compensate at the end of the cruise, we order a case or more depending on the length of the cruise of bottled water at $7.08 per case. I don't drink alcohol, and hubby has a few drinks, if that, on any cruise. We have a few specialty coffees over the course of the cruise. We don't do those massive desserts or use the fitness classes. I can't remember the last time we ordered food or drinks from room service. We don't use any other of the perks of the packages. On our last cruise in June/July when we did have the Plus Package, we decided going forward we would not buy a package again. It costs us way more in the end than if we didn't buy package. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Only guessing really, but being Elite isn't that part of the reward you get for being Elite. Maybe it's American speak, but what do you mean by change out ? I presume you mean swap some of the things in your mini bar which I wouldn't have thought incurred any charge, a tip maybe ? 

3 minutes ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

In all our Princess cruises, we have always had to call room service.

we make up little note cards with our Names and Cabin number on them.  Then we write any room steward requests.  We always swap out the elite mini bar items using this method and it works everytime.  Room stewards say they appreciate having the piece of paper to refer to since they are serving a lot of rooms. 

• Like 2

We’ve been told it is a RS job.  Some stewards will do it as a courtesy, but they are swamped on turnarounds.

We just call RS from the cabin with our swap.  

No charge to do this, as it’s an Elite benefit.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There's also no charge for ordering off the breakfast room service card that you hang outside on your door handle.  And yes, we just disembarked two different Princess ships, and on both ships it was room service that switched out the mini-bar no charge.  

BTW, we agree entirely with your assessment of the plus package.  We would be leaving beaucoups bucks on the table if we bought a package.  

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, pompeii said:

There's also no charge for ordering off the breakfast room service card that you hang outside on your door handle.  And yes, we just disembarked two different Princess ships, and on both ships it was room service that switched out the mini-bar no charge.  

BTW, we agree entirely with your assessment of the plus package.  We would be leaving beaucoups bucks on the table if we bought a package.  

BTW, we would be leaving beaucoups bucks EXTRA with Princess if we didn't have at least a PLUS package.

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

BTW, we would be leaving beaucoups bucks EXTRA with Princess if we didn't have at least a PLUS package.

This is why I think it's great we have a choice. While we are in the second camp there are many who are in the first camp. For many the package(s) make a great deal of sense. For others the packages constitute sheer nonsense.  There is no one-size-fits-all solution.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

If you don't have a package, do you have to pay the room delivery fee to change out the mini bar for Elite?

The room steward has always asked that I leave a note with the items that you want exchanged and for what,, and it is done that day.

46 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The room steward has always asked that I leave a note with the items that you want exchanged and for what,, and it is done that day.

Yippee San Jose.  Never seen anyone else on here from San Jose.

14 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

If you're in a suite, do you ask the room steward or the concierge (Enchanted) to do the swap?

Either will work, but it's probably easiest just to call room service and mention what you want. 

On the Island in Nov, the cabin attendant changed my Elite mini bar.

On the Sky in Feb, the cabin attendant said call room service.

When I see the cabin attentant for the first time, I ask who I contact to change the mini bar.

When you use the phone for any Elite benefits, there is no charge.

• Like 2

Along the same lines, would there be a $14.99 charge if you asked a crew member to get one of the free desserts that can be ordered using the phone? 

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Along the same lines, would there be a $14.99 charge if you asked a crew member to get one of the free desserts that can be ordered using the phone? 

If you don't have a package having items delivered will incur a once-per-cruise fee. It's pretty well spelled out in the terms and conditions.

@555 here’s the information for you about $14.99 charge using the phone.

This is actually two different things that you put together.

If you do not have a package and you use the stateroom phone to order room service it’s a $5.00 delivery fee each time you pick up phone to order -unless you have one of the packages. The same if you would like to use your app( ocean now- delivery anywhere on ship including cabin) and use the ocean now it will be $14.99 per voyage that you’re on if you don’t have a package.But here is exactly what Princess says. 

Access the Princess Exclusive OceanNow Service

Princess sets the bar in service with its revolutionary OceanNow on-demand, location-based delivery service. To activate this industry exclusive service, there will be a nominal one-time activation fee of $14.99 per guest, per voyage. However, the access fee is waived ( free)for all guests sailing on Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages.

Complimentary Room Service Delivery

Princess staterooms are a sanctuary for guests and views from industry leading large balconies are epic. To maximize the stateroom experience, Princess Plus and Princess Premier participants will have the standard $5 per delivery room service charge waived.( free) That means no extra charges for the ease and luxury of on-demand service anywhere, anyplace or anytime on a Princess ship for Plus and Premier Guests.

“We take great pride in pampering our guests with friendly service and exceeding their expectations. By offering the OceanNow Service and Room Service without any additional fees to Princess Plus and Princess Premier guests, we aim to elevate their journey to an unparalleled level of comfort, indulgence and value,” said Sami Kohen, Princess vice president of food and beverage.