Slow service on large ships?

Slugsta

Just off Azura and bar service generally was very poor throughout the ship. 

Brodies was particularly bad and they would often refuse to serve you at the bar which meant you had to wait for one of the very few waiters to get served.

Service around the pools was completely non existent and queues at the bars huge.

Service in the MDR also felt rushed.

The general feeling was that they are massively understaffed in all areas. I've cruised with 3 other lines in the last 12 months and although they will have had the same staffing issues you never really noticed. I think P&O's cost cutting may have gone a little too far.

36 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Just off Azura and bar service generally was very poor throughout the ship. 

Brodies was particularly bad and they would often refuse to serve you at the bar which meant you had to wait for one of the very few waiters to get served.

Service around the pools was completely non existent and queues at the bars huge.

Service in the MDR also felt rushed.

The general feeling was that they are massively understaffed in all areas. I've cruised with 3 other lines in the last 12 months and although they will have had the same staffing issues you never really noticed. I think P&O's cost cutting may have gone a little too far.

All bars on all ships will ask you to place your order with a waiter. I have not seen any understaffing at busy times. I take notice of what is going on around me and will count the number of staff. On Ventura in Jan. In the Metropolis I saw 6 waiters before dinner, second sitting all very aware of customers needing to be served. In the glasshouse again 6 with a further 2 just for food.

I'm late to the party but we sailed Azura in January with our 6 month old. We booked Sindhu for 5pm (his bed time was 7:30pm). We got our starters...rushed our mains then had to leave. At 6:30 we alerted our waiter that this really was taking much longer than we anticipated and asked him for a jug of hot water that we could put our babies bottle in. By 7:15, we were no further forward and when pressed the waiter said "The chef is just making your hot water". I'm not trying to be funny......but seriously?

At 7:30 we had to get up and walk out (we normally would hate this sort of rudeness). The waiter came after us saying we can't leave because we've not signed a receipt yet and I had to be quite forthright and say we can't wait until the chef makes a receipt for us (looking back, I shouldn't have said this) but the point stands.

Having said that...... ALL of our other dining on Azura from memory we couldn't complain about.

14 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I'm late to the party but we sailed Azura in January with our 6 month old. We booked Sindhu for 5pm (his bed time was 7:30pm). We got our starters...rushed our mains then had to leave. At 6:30 we alerted our waiter that this really was taking much longer than we anticipated and asked him for a jug of hot water that we could put our babies bottle in. By 7:15, we were no further forward and when pressed the waiter said "The chef is just making your hot water". I'm not trying to be funny......but seriously?

At 7:30 we had to get up and walk out (we normally would hate this sort of rudeness). The waiter came after us saying we can't leave because we've not signed a receipt yet and I had to be quite forthright and say we can't wait until the chef makes a receipt for us (looking back, I shouldn't have said this) but the point stands.

Having said that...... ALL of our other dining on Azura from memory we couldn't complain about.

Trouble is that dining at the speciality restaurants is not seen as an alternative evening meal. It is considered to be the "entertainment" for the evening. That has been my experience and why I don't do them. There is far too much else to do.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Trouble is that dining at the speciality restaurants is not seen as an alternative evening meal. It is considered to be the "entertainment" for the evening. That has been my experience and why I don't do them. There is far too much else to do.

We go to all the speciality restaurants on all the ships but would never expect to leave within 2/3 hours. We would never book anything within 3/4 hours of us going into the restaurant. In all our cruises I cannot remember having to wait during a meal, perhaps we are an little laid back. 

1 hour ago, daiB said:

We go to all the speciality restaurants on all the ships but would never expect to leave within 2/3 hours. We would never book anything within 3/4 hours of us going into the restaurant. In all our cruises I cannot remember having to wait during a meal, perhaps we are an little laid back. 

That's interesting... If it's a 3 course meal and it takes 4 hours I have to say I'd be very bored. Mix into that asking the waiter for things like hot water for a baby and it taking an hour to (not) come then surely that's a bit too long?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

That's interesting... If it's a 3 course meal and it takes 4 hours I have to say I'd be very bored. Mix into that asking the waiter for things like hot water for a baby and it taking an hour to (not) come then surely that's a bit too long?

No the meal lasts 2/3 hours but we like plenty of headway after it. In the MDR we often find ourselves last out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amurray88 said:

I would expect that any couple with a baby would want to take advantage of the night nursery, if they want to enjoy a meal at most of the speciality restaurants.

I know that we would not be happy to find a baby or a toddler sitting at the next table, when we have paid a premium for a special occasion meal.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would expect that any couple with a baby would want to take advantage of the night nursery, if they want to enjoy a meal at most of the speciality restaurants.

I know that we would not be happy to find a baby or a toddler sitting at the next table, when we have paid a premium for a special occasion meal.

We went to see the night nursery but we didn't use it. The speciality restaurants are not adults only (there could be a shout for them becoming adult only?) but thankfully my baby didn't make any noise. On the whole, I'm not a fan of kids when I'm on holiday BUT I know that if I want a meal with no kids then I either need to go on an adult only cruise line or go to an adult only restaurant.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

John I am as you know a grumpy old woman and I can’t stand badly behaved children. I have been known to say something to the parents or the Matre,d if they let their children run riot (much to OHs embarrassment). 

I do however think that for children to learn how to behave properly  they need to experience dining. We used to take our nephew (who is now in his mid 30s) with us and if he was fretting one of the adults got up and took him out to the way so that he did not annoy others. As he got older he was perfectly behaved and could be taken absolutely anywhere as a result.

P&O are aiming at families so there will be children in the speciality restaurants. It’s how the parents manage this that counts. If they don’t manage it properly they should not be surprised if other diners comment, as you say a special occasion meal should not be spoiled.

If meals take far too long then yes children will get bored and so will some of the adults.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

John I am as you know a grumpy old woman and I can’t stand badly behaved children. I have been known to say something to the parents or the Matre,d if they let their children run riot (much to OHs embarrassment). 

I do however think that for children to learn how to behave properly  they need to experience dining. We used to take our nephew (who is now in his mid 30s) with us and if he was fretting one of the adults got up and took him out to the way so that he did not annoy others. As he got older he was perfectly behaved and could be taken absolutely anywhere as a result.

P&O are aiming at families so there will be children in the speciality restaurants. It’s how the parents manage this that counts. If they don’t manage it properly they should not be surprised if other diners comment, as you say a special occasion meal should not be spoiled.

If meals take far too long then yes children will get bored and so will some of the adults.

I'll maybe give a wee bit of context for us when we were on Azura. On night 1 (after train to London from Glasgow, then train to Gatwick then flight to Tenerife, then bus to port) at dinner out 6 month old screamed and screamed and screamed. We were mortified. We were sharing a table and the other guests (rightly or wrongly) didn't look too impressed. They didn't say anything to us but we knew. We took it in turns to take him outside to try and calm him but nothing would do it - we scoffed down a main meal and left. That evening I went back to the restaurant and asked if we could be moved to a table of 3 just to ensure in the future we didn't annoy people at the same table as us. From day 2 onwards our baby didn't make a single noise....so the table for 3 was a bit wasted but at least the other family didn't have to wonder whether they'd get their dinner in peace or not.

Typically we'd go to the theatre at night and before the show started we had our fair share of dirty looks drawn at us. Our baby wasn't making noise but people anticipated it ...within 5 minutes of the show beginning, to our surprise, our bay was sleeping every night. The people who gave us dirty looks were talking during the show and let me assure you, I had fun giving them dirty looks back.

A crew member advised us to go to the adult only bar later in the evening - our baby was sleeping in his pram with a blanket over the pram for darkness and crew members welcomed us. We typically wouldn't go with it being adults only but when we were recommended to go there we tried it out. 

I think I'm pretty reasonable as a guest and would always try and be (very) considerate of other guests. I don't see it being an issue taking a kid into a restaurant...but if they are screaming then I'd be getting them out of there fast.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

The people who gave us dirty looks were talking during the show and let me assure you, I had fun giving them dirty looks back.

Yes poor and annoying behaviour applies just as much to adults as to children. Children at least have the excuse that they are young and learning. Some adults never do.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

My initial post was only regarding babies and toddlers, where I believe that the night nursery offered by P&O should be used by parents when dining, especially in speciality restaurants,  both for their benefit, and for other dining companions and restaurant staff.

But I do agree that children should experience restaurant dining from an early age, so that they take on board the required etiquette. Our two sons did, and our youngest when only 4  pointed out two unruly child diners in a Padstow restaurant, and was outraged that they were being allowed to run riot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I'll maybe give a wee bit of context for us when we were on Azura. On night 1 (after train to London from Glasgow, then train to Gatwick then flight to Tenerife, then bus to port) at dinner out 6 month old screamed and screamed and screamed. We were mortified. We were sharing a table and the other guests (rightly or wrongly) didn't look too impressed. They didn't say anything to us but we knew. We took it in turns to take him outside to try and calm him but nothing would do it - we scoffed down a main meal and left. That evening I went back to the restaurant and asked if we could be moved to a table of 3 just to ensure in the future we didn't annoy people at the same table as us. From day 2 onwards our baby didn't make a single noise....so the table for 3 was a bit wasted but at least the other family didn't have to wonder whether they'd get their dinner in peace or not.

Typically we'd go to the theatre at night and before the show started we had our fair share of dirty looks drawn at us. Our baby wasn't making noise but people anticipated it ...within 5 minutes of the show beginning, to our surprise, our bay was sleeping every night. The people who gave us dirty looks were talking during the show and let me assure you, I had fun giving them dirty looks back.

A crew member advised us to go to the adult only bar later in the evening - our baby was sleeping in his pram with a blanket over the pram for darkness and crew members welcomed us. We typically wouldn't go with it being adults only but when we were recommended to go there we tried it out. 

I think I'm pretty reasonable as a guest and would always try and be (very) considerate of other guests. I don't see it being an issue taking a kid into a restaurant...but if they are screaming then I'd be getting them out of there fast.

I think that’s very fair of you. 
I don’t mind seeing infants and young children in restaurants etc and find it very sad that people often seem to welcome dogs more than they welcome children (assistance dogs should of course be permitted). 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, amurray88 said:

You must be very sociable 😅 I'm about as anti-social as you'll find unfortunately 😁

I am in 41 Club and Rotary and before that Round Table so that could be true. We always ask for a table for 8 second sitting. Having said that we are very happy to be on Iona/Arvia and do freedom although we always ask to share. We do like all the other restaurants ask well so we dine all over the place.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 9:46 PM, Slugsta said:

Thanks for all your input. It's good to hear that this is not the new norm.

Yes, my friends were kept waiting for their pre-booked table, then a long wait for starters to appear. I believe them for 2 reasons - firstly, because I know the people concerned; secondly because we were messaging each other while they were waiting!

Probably more social to actually talk to eachother.