Ventura misses La Palma

Bin man

Looks like Ventura turned away from La palma this morning looking at tracking guess its to do with the volcano gases .Would insurance cover thus as a missed port if that was the case ?

11 minutes ago, Bin man said:

What if they change it before you leave Southampton on future cruise and maybe put another port in ?

Just a re-arranged itinery.  Hasn't qualified for anything - when that's happened to us.  Have been able to claim for missed ports when notified on embarkation though.

The best way to find out if your insurance policy provides cover following an event is to read the policy document or contact your insurance provider.  Not all policies have the same cover, exceptions, conditions etc. Some policies only cover a missed port due to bad weather or following time-table restrictions.

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

What if they change it before you leave Southampton on future cruise and maybe put another port in ?

Totally irrelevant what happens on a future cruise.

There is a list of ports that you are expecting to visit at the start of the cruise and if for any reason you miss one then that is a missed port (but make sure you get it in writing). If another port is added to replace a missed port that makes no difference that port has been missed.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Totally irrelevant what happens on a future cruise.

There is a list of ports that you are expecting to visit at the start of the cruise and if for any reason you miss one then that is a missed port (but make sure you get it in writing). If another port is added to replace a missed port that makes no difference that port has been missed.

A common exclusion of missed port cover on an insurance policy is the policy will not pay if the ship stops at an alternative unscheduled port or if you receive any financial compensation, including on-board credit. If the itinerary changes prior to the start of a cruise there is nothing you can do about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Palaceman said:

A common exclusion of missed port cover on an insurance policy is the policy will not pay if the ship stops at an alternative unscheduled port

Never seen that on any travel insurance policy that I have had and unless the insurance company was to ask the specific question about an alternative port then it is highly unlikely that they would know anyway.

I would still contend that even if a port is substituted that there is a claim for missed port - unless the cruise states that it will visit six unnamed ports.

6 hours ago, Bin man said:

Looks like Ventura turned away from La palma this morning looking at tracking guess its to do with the volcano gases .Would insurance cover thus as a missed port if that was the case ?

The volcanic gases are on the opposite side of the island from where the Ventura would dock, The who of the Canary Islands are on Wildfire alert so could be that

53 minutes ago, david63 said:

Never seen that on any travel insurance policy that I have had and unless the insurance company was to ask the specific question about an alternative port then it is highly unlikely that they would know anyway.

I would still contend that even if a port is substituted that there is a claim for missed port - unless the cruise states that it will visit six unnamed ports.

Like I said it is important to to read your policy. I have seen this specific exclusion in the many policies I have taken out covering me for more than 15 cruises over the last 10 years. When making a claim for missed ports the insurance company may ask the cruise operator to confirm in writing that no alternative port was found in addition to the reason why the port was missed.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I thought that all cruise line T&Cs state that the itinerary is subject to change, which  is why you don't receive any compensation for "minor" changes, only for major ones and the cruise lines rarely make major ones, so they say.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you also pay port fees in your cruise fare.

If a port is cancelled or missed, then those fees have to be claimed. Some cruise lines refund all passengers but most don't and you need to request the refund whilst onboard. 

If say 70% of the passengers don't know or don't ask, then this is thousands of pounds that the cruise line keeps. 

You have already paid this fee in advance, so asking for it back is your right but it should be automatic and it isn't always the case.

If you miss a scheduled port it's important to know a couple of things, firstly refuse any offer onboard of recompense, even if you accept a drink you will null any missed port cover you may have, secondly queue up at reception for a letter that outlines the detail of the missed port, these are already printed and are readily available but the cruise companies obviously don't like to make this known.

When you return submit the claim and it should be straight forward, I've claimed twice and it's been settled in less than a couple of weeks, both times we failed to get in Guernsey, on one occasion we paid £900 on a cruise for a family of 3 and received £450 in compensation so it's worth checking you are covered.

• Like 2

Arcadia missed a port on the last cruise. We all received a letter onboard.

"Please accept this letter as confirmation of changes made to MV Arcadia,s itinerary.

Arcadia sailed from Southampton on 30 July 2024.

Arcadia was scheduled to call at Stornoway on 2 August 2024, however, due to adverse weather conditions, Stornoway was cancelled.

I can confirm that no refunds or compensation have been given by P&O Cruises in light of this amendment. Your confirmation invoice issued to you should serve as proof of costing to your insurance company.

I trust this information is suitable for your claim, should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us."

We missed Stornoway and took 3 stormy days to reach Reykjavik rather than 2, saving P&O fuel of course.

This should be enough for me to claim my £100 for port cancellation on my AllClear policy, however, the issued confirmation invoice did not happen because there was nothing to invoice, maybe enough for the insurance company to play silly games.

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

"Please accept this letter as confirmation of changes made to MV Arcadia,s itinerary.

Arcadia was scheduled to call at Stornoway on 2 August 2024, however, due to adverse weather conditions, Stornoway was cancelled.

I can confirm that no refunds or compensation have been given by P&O Cruises in light of this amendment. Your confirmation invoice issued to you should serve as proof of costing to your insurance company.

I trust this information is suitable for your claim, should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us."

We missed Stornoway and took 3 stormy days to reach Reykjavik rather than 2, saving P&O fuel of course.

This should be enough for me to claim my £100 for port cancellation on my AllClear policy, however, the issued confirmation invoice did not happen because there was nothing to invoice, maybe enough for the insurance company to play silly games.

This sort of reiterates the point I made a couple of minutes earlier, obviously I had a more pleasing outcome and we had to make a request at reception for the letter in person.

Just now, Oldhsm said:

This sort of reiterates the point I made a couple of minutes earlier, obviously I had a more pleasing outcome and we had to make a request at reception for the letter in person.

I went to reception and they said everyone would recive a letter a couple of days before returning to Southampton.

47 minutes ago, Oldhsm said:

If you miss a scheduled port it's important to know a couple of things, firstly refuse any offer onboard of recompense   

You need to be csreful on this point and check the wording of your insurance policy. Ours specifically states it will not pay out if "you are OFFERED financial compensation, including on board credit".

Seems like it all depends on your policy.

On this year's Worldie we had seven ports cancelled due to re-routing via South Africa instead of Suez.  Alternative ports called at, extra OBC and an FCC of about £650 for each of us (amounts varied for affected passengers as it was % of price paid).

Nationwide Flex Plus paid out the £150 per missed port whilst we were still on the cruise.

• Like 3

We too we’re on the worldie and received extra obc for the deemed major change  , and the fcc ( which we will not be using) , however on return home Nationwide payed out all amounts due within a week of claiming , so pleased we moved to them last year as our previous rolling bank insurance always found some reason to not pay for missed ports ( one been if you had no shore excursions booked at that port the payment was void ) . It certainly pays to read the small print thoroughly 😀

Just now, gsmt47471015 said:

We too we’re on the worldie and received extra obc for the deemed major change  , and the fcc ( which we will not be using) , however on return home Nationwide payed out all amounts due within a week of claiming , so pleased we moved to them last year as our previous rolling bank insurance always found some reason to not pay for missed ports ( one been if you had no shore excursions booked at that port the payment was void ) . It certainly pays to read the small print thoroughly 😀

Paid , predictive text😡

On Iona in March we missed Cadiz because of adverse weather. P&O delivered the cancellation letter to each cabin, no doubt to save a long queue at reception. 
The confirmation invoice is the one you received from P&O when you first booked. It has to have the itinerary on it to prove the port was on the original itinerary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, davecttr said:

The confirmation invoice is your original booking one. It confirms you paid for the cruise when it was booked and the itinerary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2024 at 11:34 PM, SausPud said:

Don't forget that you also pay port fees in your cruise fare.

If a port is cancelled or missed, then those fees have to be claimed. Some cruise lines refund all passengers but most don't and you need to request the refund whilst onboard. 

If say 70% of the passengers don't know or don't ask, then this is thousands of pounds that the cruise line keeps. 

You have already paid this fee in advance, so asking for it back is your right but it should be automatic and it isn't always the case.

We missed two ports in June on Princess and was surprised to see the port fees reimbursed to our onboard account automatically. Visby was the first missed port and we received about $5 each. For Kristiansand we received about $28 each. I can’t remember the exact amounts but we wondered why there was such a difference. I suppose port fees are dearer in Norway.