Puerta Plata removed from itinerary

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

So you chose a 7 day, 168 hour vacation, for obviously and specifically the Icon, but now you're complaining about 6-7 hours of that vacation and the rest or the 160 hours is ruined? Ya, right 👎

I swear someone could come on here just to say “Good morning” and there will always be someone with a response like this one. 

Edited by Newcruiser215
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Per your cruise contract, ports are not guaranteed. Therefore, RCI owes you nothing.

Agree, been while but there has been Cruise to nowhere when Weather kept them from docking at any port. In 35+ yrs I've Missed or Changed over 50 Ports, Medical, Weather, too many Ships there, Etc. Back in the 90's was part of a Class Action against Royal for not refunding any Port Fees, ever. Many of us on Cruise Critic were part of it. $7 Million Settlement by Royal, admitted no wrong. Paid out at $7 for every missed Port, I got $35...that you had to use on a Royal Cruise within one yr

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm going to guess this is a flub with the DR port authority, not RC.

Icon really isn't any bigger than Oasis ships when it comes to docking. Only 6 feet longer and 3 feet wider.

We ported there last January on Wonder, and it looked like a very difficult and time consuming task to get the ship in and out of a very narrow, winding, and shoal filled channel. The pier is also quite small and is used by both cruise ships and freighters. The port authorities may not be convinced that they would be able to handle any other traffic with Icon in port, or that they can safely get it through the channel.

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We ported there last January on Wonder, and it looked like a very difficult and time consuming task to get the ship in and out of a very narrow, winding, and shoal filled channel. The pier is also quite small and is used by both cruise ships and freighters. The port authorities may not be convinced that they would be able to handle any other traffic with Icon in port, or that they can safely get it through the channel.

a couple years ago, Norwegian Escape hit the ocean floor in the channel causing some damage to the bottom of the ship. 

https://maritime-executive.com/article/norwegian-escape-cruise-ship-grounds-leaving-dominican-republic

Port officials might be very worry with another grounding issue. the channel should be made bigger

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

June 1 to November 30 is the full hurricane season.  That would basically be half the year that you would have to avoid.  And that only means that conditions are best for storms to develop during that period, not a certainty that at any given time they will.  With all of the ships sailing on all of the different Caribbean itineraries during that period the odds of a storm impacting any of them is relatively low IMO. 

Exactly.  If you can not tolerate the potential for a change in itinerary cruising is not for you

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was not reimbursed for missed ports. I wrote to mbayley office and was told it's not their policy, it's up to each ship. Just because you got them back doesnt mean everyone does. Sorry. But it's not the policy. I can post the email if you dont believe me.

They have the right to change or miss ports. It is then up to the ship what they do.

And this is one of those Shady policies that rubs me the wrong way with large companies like this. In what world should a mega company be able to get away with ripping people off in such a manner , .....and to use the excuse that this decision is not made by the BigWigs at the top. As if a financial decision of this magnitude should be up to An individual Captain of his ship . 

Totally unacceptable answer ! JMHO

Cheers

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, been while but there has been Cruise to nowhere when Weather kept them from docking at any port. In 35+ yrs I've Missed or Changed over 50 Ports, Medical, Weather, too many Ships there, Etc. Back in the 90's was part of a Class Action against Royal for not refunding any Port Fees, ever. Many of us on Cruise Critic were part of it. $7 Million Settlement by Royal, admitted no wrong. Paid out at $7 for every missed Port, I got $35...that you had to use on a Royal Cruise within one yr

Oh My... That sounds about right

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Newcruiser215 said:

I swear someone could come on here just to say “Good morning” and there will always be someone with a response like this one. 

Thank you!  

9 hours ago, Newcruiser215 said:

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Doesnt matter what we think is fair. Royal wouldnt give you compensation for them changing the route. They changed me to 2 ports with lower port fees and said nothing due. 

Adventure goes there but it’s sure not as good as icon. I'm going there in December.. sorry

Thanks

Edited by caribbeanfever

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you pushed it they might allow you to change to another cruise with no charge. Do you want to change. You could say because they changed ports. I think several of the smaller ships go there. I admit I booked adventure to go there and would be disappointed to miss it as I booked it becaus it was a new port for me.

If you call tell us what they said. 

I did do this, and changed itineraries with no change fees. I actually did it before I saw your response, but did want to write back to thank you. 

Edited by caribbeanfever
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

As I said above I wrote to mbayley office and they clearly said their policy is up to the ship. It is you not me confused when I said mbayley office said it's up to the ship. And said I could produce their words for those like you confused on the policy. The policy they said .. each ship crew decides. .. why would you reply after I posted mbayley explanation to ask my TA?  It is clearly written and I wrote it clearly in my post. 

If their email confuses you by all means ask your TA. 

So RCI collects taxes and fees that a due to a foreign government. The ship does not go to the port and RCI then gets to pocket this money. That is interesting. Then, to top it off, there is no company policy covering this. RCI leaves it up to the individual ships to decide how to handle the situation. Hmmmm.🙄

• Like 3

15 hours ago, shof515 said:

a couple years ago, Norwegian Escape hit the ocean floor in the channel causing some damage to the bottom of the ship. 

https://maritime-executive.com/article/norwegian-escape-cruise-ship-grounds-leaving-dominican-republic

Port officials might be very worry with another grounding issue. the channel should be made bigger

Thanks. What people tend to forget is that it is not only the length and width of a ship, but also the draft. For comparison, Port Canaveral had to be dredged substantially before they could allow Oasis class ships to port there because of the draft of the ships. Puerto Plata has had a dredger in the harbor every time we have ported there working on the channel.

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So RCI collects taxes and fees that a due to a foreign government. The ship does not go to the port and RCI then gets to pocket this money. That is interesting. Then, to top it off, there is no company policy covering this. RCI leaves it up to the individual ships to decide how to handle the situation. Hmmmm.🙄

Carnival gives them back. I see posters here telling me I'm being silly because it's a small amount of money they are keeping from each passenger. I call it theft. It's not going to keep me from cruising on royal but I think its unethical. Those wanting to call me petty can stow it. I'm entitled to my opinion. 

And if I say I'm on the ship and they have told me no refund of port fees for a missed port, telling me to talk to customer service on the ship is a worthless suggestion. I said I've done that and they said no refund because its weather related. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival gives them back. I see posters here telling me I'm being silly because it's a small amount of money they are keeping from each passenger. I call it theft. It's not going to keep me from cruising on royal but I think its unethical. Those wanting to call me petty can stow it. I'm entitled to my opinion. 

And if I say I'm on the ship and they have told me no refund of port fees for a missed port, telling me to talk to customer service on the ship is a worthless suggestion. I said I've done that and they said no refund because its weather related. 

I think there is a big difference between looking for compensation and expecting taxes and fees to be refunded. I understand no compensation for a weather related missed port. I do not expect RCI to pocket the taxes and fees that would have been paid to that port. As for it being a small amount of money, try departing the ship at the end of a cruise owing RCI anything other than a zero balance on a seapass account and see what happens.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Thanks. What people tend to forget is that it is not only the length and width of a ship, but also the draft. For comparison, Port Canaveral had to be dredged substantially before they could allow Oasis class ships to port there because of the draft of the ships. Puerto Plata has had a dredger in the harbor every time we have ported there working on the channel.

Icon has a shallower draft than Oasis class. Granted a matter of inches, but draft wouldn't be the issue here.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Icon has a shallower draft than Oasis class. Granted a matter of inches, but draft wouldn't be the issue here.

It has and continues to be an issue for every cruise ship that ports there. They aren't continuously dredging the channel for the fun of it.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

It has and continues to be an issue for every cruise ship that ports there. They aren't continuously dredging the channel for the fun of it.

Dredging maintenance is a big business all around the world.

Posted (edited)

Regarding port fees and taxes being refunded, we have been fortunate to have only had a few ports missed over the years and our experience has been that more than not have been credited to our on board account.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think there is a big difference between looking for compensation and expecting taxes and fees to be refunded. I understand no compensation for a weather related missed port. I do not expect RCI to pocket the taxes and fees that would have been paid to that port. As for it being a small amount of money, try departing the ship at the end of a cruise owing RCI anything other than a zero balance on a seapass account and see what happens.

Also we had someone in the diamond lounge who had booked a private dive excursion who emailed the night before that royal had contacted him and cancelled. .. the  night before. The guy thought the dive shop was confused. They didnt tell us until the next day and said it was a last minute decision. 

We had big waves, wasnt even raining. So many docked at costa maya they were worried about hitting another ship they told us.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Dredging maintenance is a big business all around the world.

Yep, and it is because if they don't, they can't get any big ships into the port. 🙄

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup. As said went to Court and they settled admitting no wrong and could continue, this 25yrs ago. Shoot couple my Cruises are $350-$480 in Taxes/Fees.

51 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup. As said went to Court and they settled admitting no wrong and could continue, this 25yrs ago. Shoot couple my Cruises are $350-$480 in Taxes/Fees.

We have one booked on X that goes to the ABC islands, Cartagena and does a partial PC transit. and the port fees for that one are more than $1,100. They are what they are.😇

40 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We have one booked on X that goes to the ABC islands, Cartagena and does a partial PC transit. and the port fees for that one are more than $1,100. They are what they are.😇

Wow! ...Funny thing was one my Cruises few months ago was $998, $480 was Port Fees. Though I once paid for a 5nite Royal Cruise in an OV for $9ea, Port Fees were $50ea, for total $118 for the 2 of us. This was right after 9/11 when Ships were sailing half empty and Cheap for next 9months. Rolled some coins in my change jar and whole trip was paid for, Gas in my car(under $1 gallon), nite in a hotel and the Cruise. Month later did a 7nite on Explorer at time was the newest/largest in World, all for $799 total, this Solo(no Single Supplement) and in an Owners Suite

I received a letter from RCI about our August 9-16, 2025, cruise. Our cruise has changed its itinerary also. We will no longer stop at Dominican Republic but will stop at Labadee instead. Said something about not being allowed to dock there.🥲

52 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

I received a letter from RCI about our August 9-16, 2025, cruise. Our cruise has changed its itinerary also. We will no longer stop at Dominican Republic but will stop at Labadee instead. Said something about not being allowed to dock there.🥲

We will be porting in the DR twice next month - in Puerto Plata on the 7th, and in Cabo Rojo the following week.