Annoyed with boombox passengers

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

DD got sent away from the WJ last month because she didn't have a cover up on.  So why would they enforce that "policy" and not the "shorts in the MDR for dinner"?  Because there's no policy. 

Sounds like a staff member was actually doing their job. Kudos. Remember what RCI stands for. Royal, Consistently Inconsistent. 🙄

Maybe she should have carried a boombox in with her and the outcome possibly would have been different. 🤣

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Why do you (and others) keep ignoring the word "suggested"?  It's in the link you posted.  Here, I've highlighted it and circled it because you keep missing it...

image.png.0aa109ce162c78c272dd80ad23836c11.png

No matter how much you want it to be different, a suggestion is not a "rule" or "policy". 

DD got sent away from the WJ last month because she didn't have a cover up on.  So why would they enforce that "policy" and not the "shorts in the MDR for dinner"?  Because there's no policy. 

A “code “ is a systematic collection of laws and regulations.  Royal refers to their dress code.  Suggestions for casual, smart casual and formal are to give you the gist of what is required.

We’re not going to agree on this, best wishes on your future cruises. 

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

MDR dress code has run it's course.  It's time to move on to discussing chair hogs, or to get back on topic ... boomboxes hogging chairs.

Agreed, sadly. 

• Like 1

Sadly we are among the shorts at MDR dinner crowd.  I like to get dressed up now & then but hubby just doesn’t.  He would if I insisted but I know he hates it.  He wears a nice button down shirt & clean neat shorts.  We keep our elbows off the table, chew with our mouths closed, don’t talk with food in our mouths or too loudly and use our napkins.  It’s the best we’re gonna do🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, poocher said:

Sadly we are among the shorts at MDR dinner crowd.  I like to get dressed up now & then but hubby just doesn’t.  He would if I insisted but I know he hates it.  He wears a nice button down shirt & clean neat shorts.  We keep our elbows off the table, chew with our mouths closed, don’t talk with food in our mouths or too loudly and use our napkins.  It’s the best we’re gonna do🤷‍♀️

I’d be happy to sit next to you any evening.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Time to pull this out, to calm down the dress code discussion and get back on topic. 😜

Is he wearing his grandmothers sweater?  Definitely should be turned away from the Windjammer, lest he dip his sleeve into one of the serving trays.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

MDR dress code has run it's course.  It's time to move on to discussing chair hogs, or to get back on topic ... boomboxes hogging chairs.

If a crew member successfully gets the guest to turn down/off their boom box, should they be tipped extra?

If yes, should the tip be in the form of cash, chocolate, a gift from home or a nice mention of the survey.

Yes, every thread eventually turns into a tipping thread just before it gets locked down😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

No way are brown shoes appropriate to wear with a gray? suit.

I’m thinking the suit is blue so brown shoes would be acceptable 😁

12 hours ago, poocher said:

Good enough for me.

14 hours ago, poocher said:

And that’s all you have to do.   As long as you’re neat and presentable that’s all that counts.   I bring enough nice button down dress shirts and nice shorts and I don’t worry about anyone else and what they wear.  
Lets be honest here.  Formal nights are really only for the cruise line to sell photo packages. And if someone wants to get all fancy and buy the packages and take cheesy photos behind a backdrop of the cruise ship.    
Go for it.  I’ll never give someone a hard time for it.   I actually like seeing people dressed up and excited taking the pics.     But for me.  Comfort is more important. But still looking nice. Even in shorts.  

• Like 2

On 8/27/2024 at 5:53 AM, sherrjo said:

I had to do this also on our cruise to Norway. Not for a boombox just drunken party goers  in the solarium. There was just a big group of 20 or so not young either mid to late 40s but they liked to start drinking after breakfast. 

How lovely!  I'm glad you had your earbuds with you.

On 8/27/2024 at 6:45 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I almost never use the noise cancelling feature on my buds. They work a little too well and I feel cut off from the world. I'm always concerned that I'll miss something that I want to hear.

HAHAHA......(when I stop laughing I will write more).......

OK, I'm back. Then I guess the kind of earbuds where you can turn off noise-cancelling are for you......(snort/laugh)

Edited by pcur

5 minutes ago, pcur said:

HAHAHA......(when I stop laughing I will write more).......

OK, I'm back. Then I guess the kind of earbuds where you can turn off noise-cancelling are for you......(snort/laugh)

That is why I said I rarely use the feature on MY buds. And yeah, if my plane's pilot or ship's captain have something to say then I want to hear it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is why I said I rarely use the feature on MY buds. And yeah, if my plane's pilot or ship's captain have something to say then I want to hear it.

I agree. I take one out when the announcements start.

I just had these comical images of (a man) ripping his earbuds out, and asking, "Did I miss anything?"

• Like 1

It's part of the growing inconsideration in public everywhere. People listen to bluetooth speakers on pool decks and riding bikes around town. People watch videos on their phones everywhere now, without headphones or ear buds, including on airplanes. They Facetime or do video chats the same way, without regard for others or for the privacy of those they're talking to. Talking on phones in bathroom stalls and even at urinals. Taking their dogs everywhere, including walking a German shepherd in the Windjammer. It's young people and trashy people mostly, so I haven't experienced much of such behavior on Celebrity, Princess, or HAL. Ships well over 100% full, growing numbers of young and new cruisers, bigger ships, and better technology to make noise and reduce privacy and quiet make it more likely that the problems will get worse, not better. But then the ship does a lot of the same thing, with announcements, shop events with microphones, ships blaring their own soundtrack, and then the barrage of Royal promotional emails. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

Taking their dogs everywhere, including walking a German shepherd in the Windjammer. 

If the dogs on the ship it’s allowed in the windjammer.   
Its a service dog.   Hopefully a real service dog.   And not an internet service dog.    

• Like 1