How to handle noisy neighbors on Vista?

MarkWiltonM

If your neighbors are noisy, is it better to knock on their door and politely let them know you can hear them (or their TV) through the thin walls, or is it better to call guest services or some other option? Just wondering what people are doing and if there's a protocol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

You bring ear plugs and enjoy your cruise. 

The issue is the ship, not your neighbors. You clearly knew this before booking. 

So if you’re in your stateroom trying to perhaps watch tv or have a normal conversation and the noise from the neighbors is infringing, just pop your ear plugs in?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

You bring ear plugs and enjoy your cruise. 

The issue is the ship, not your neighbors. You clearly knew this before booking. 

The neighbors should know this either and try to keep the noise down in civilized way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was on Vista for her Istanbul to Athens cruise in August & had no issues with noise in my deck 8 concierge cabin.

I could occasionally hear neighbors to the left, but no more than on other ships.

Definitely did not interfere in sleep.

Don’t know if just lucky or if the noise issue is not the big deal it’s reported to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Just wondering what people are doing and if there's a protocol. 

I suppose this depends on how confident you are in dealing with a potential unpleasant confrontation. We were on Vista earlier in the year and knew of the potential problem from reading this forum. However, the vast majority of guests do not read CC and may be totally unaware of the issue. As such, they may well continue as they have on other ships or, indeed, land based hotels. And I've read the very occasional post on CC from people unconcerned if they cause a problem  for their neighbours and would guess that ratio would be higher amongst folk who did not previously know of the issue.

For our cruise, we had ear plugs. I never travel anywhere without them and was glad of them last autumn when we stayed in a hotel in Mallorca for 2 weeks and the guy next door was a very loud snorer. We also bought a "white noise" machine.  In the event, we didnt need either as we never heard a peep from either neighbour (and hope we didnt cause any problems for them). We hadnt worked out a strategy for what to do if these didnt help and still havent for our cruuse next year (same cabin..,....fingers crossed). I suppose it will depend on the nature of any disruption. There's nothing to be done about a loud snorer, other than put up with it (unless a move to a different cabin was possible). A couple loudly, ahem, enjoying themselves will be a relatively brief disruption - that's happened in hotels more than once. As opposed to the disruption from someone who posted here saying they keep the TV on all night. With something like that, I may well knock on their door, or leave them a note drawing attention to the disruption (which  they may not appreciate they are causing). Final resort is guest services. Confrontation is not conducive to a good holiday - but then neither is lack of sleep. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vertygo said:

I was on Vista for her Istanbul to Athens cruise in August & had no issues with noise in my deck 8 concierge cabin.

I could occasionally hear neighbors to the left, but no more than on other ships.

Definitely did not interfere in sleep.

Don’t know if just lucky or if the noise issue is not the big deal it’s reported to be.

Nope, the problem is absolutely pervasive throughout the ship. Spent 28 nights on her in two different cabins earlier this year. General manager acknowledged to me it does not matter where your cabin is, you will have a problem unless your neighbors are exceptionally quiet and rarely watch tv. We had a UK sports fan in cabin adjacent to us who watched sports channel at all times while in his room. Turned off TV at about 11 pm every night and it was back on at 7:30 p.m. in the morning. That was when I could sleep. He showed me that his volume level was just at 7% and TV still could be heard in our next door cabin. Reception desk offered to move me to another cabin, but said that I would still be dependent on luck of having a "quiet" neighbor. I just disembarked Marina and was told by a crew member that he had experienced a noise issue between cabins in his Vista crew cabin. Said that many crew have trouble sleeping on that ship due to the problem. Popular YouTube reviewer Gary Bembridge has a full video entitled "I test Oceania's New Ship to see Why Cruisers Are So Unhappy," which concludes that the noise between cabins problem is a major issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow.  It's been many years, back on Carnival, when I had problems like this.  Since then, we've been on most other cruise lines, and until recently the big ships with lots of families. 

Is this an issue on all Oceania ships?  So far we've only been on the Regatta.  Maybe we've just been insanely lucky?

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I suppose this depends on how confident you are in dealing with a potential unpleasant confrontation. ...  A couple loudly, ahem, enjoying themselves will be a relatively brief disruption - that's happened in hotels more than once.....

Of course, the answer here might be different on one of those rare swinger or nude cruises? But regardless, you might always check their cabin door to see if you see a pineapple. Then your response might be a bit different, depending upon your inclinations and your partner's.

27 minutes ago, mlmdaisy said:

Wow.  It's been many years, back on Carnival, when I had problems like this.  Since then, we've been on most other cruise lines, and until recently the big ships with lots of families. 

Is this an issue on all Oceania ships?  So far we've only been on the Regatta.  Maybe we've just been insanely lucky?

Problem seems confined to Vista and also Regent Grandeur, NCLH's other very new ship built just after Vista in same ship yard. We just disembarked 25 night cruise on Oceania Marina. No such issues for us there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

... Is this an issue on all Oceania ships?  So far we've only been on the Regatta....

We've spent 10-nights each in a B2 (Sirena, 11/2022), B3 (Riviera, 11/2023), A4 (Riviera, 12/2021) and A3 (Riviera, 10/2023) and did NOT have noise issues. We've got 12 nights starting on Sirena 8/28/24 in an F and then 10 nights as a B2B on Sirena starting 9/9/24 in a C1. We'll "see" about them soon.

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We'll "see" about them soon.

You post here several times a week. You know full well that this is a problem only related to Vista. There is no need for you to regularly post your cruise history (although I'm sort of envious that your wealth permits you to take such expensive holidays so regularly). Not least when you already know that this history is not relevant to Vista, as you havent sailed on her and don't appear to have any plans to sail on her.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

I believe the original question asked revolves around the assumption that on occasion noisy neighbors do in fact exist. Whether any existed next to you on any given cruise is not relevant. At times they do exist, and it’s not totally related to the Vista. Hopefully no one is trying to deny the oblivious.

To answer the OP’s question, I call the main desk and don’t start a personal confrontation. A perfect example of this, we had friends cruising with UN in 19 to Papeete. Their cabin neighbors played the tv LOUDLY every night and went to sleep with it that way. Security would come, and knocking/pounding on the door only resulting in bothering even more guests. Security had to physically enter the cabin to deal with the issue. Repeatedly. After about three nights it finally got stopped, but my friends, standing in his night robe pounding on that door, would have had no response. Best to just call the front desk and have them deal with it.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 9

43 minutes ago, Harters said:

You post here several times a week. ... Not least when you already know that this history is not relevant to Vista....

My response was obviously to someone who was asking about MORE than just Vista. And I wasn't the only one to respond to ships that weren't Vista. But you didn't say that to them. (I pay close attention to sales and book and rebook on sales. The only way to sail O. Never pay list if you can help it at all.)

45 minutes ago, Harters said:

... this history....  

Just as for "history", we've had the R-class and O-class ships refurbished and upgraded. Sailed on Sirena post-hers and did pre- and post- for Riviera. That is relevant to the GENERAL issue of "is there a noise problem on O ships".

Posted (edited)

My husband always tries to meet those in the adjacent cabins, and tells them if our tv is too loud to let us know. They normally respond the same way. Sometimes people do not realize how loud their tv is.

Edited by mcgilldj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Just as for "history", we've had the R-class and O-class ships refurbished and upgraded. Sailed on Sirena post-hers and did pre- and post- for Riviera. That is relevant to the GENERAL issue of "is there a noise problem on O ships".

The question was “ how do you handle or respond to loud neighbors “. It was not whether you have personally had loud neighbors. Do you deny that loud neighbors may exist on any of the ships?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

My response was obviously to someone who was asking about MORE than just Vista. And I wasn't the only one to respond to ships that weren't Vista. But you didn't say that to them. (I pay close attention to sales and book and rebook on sales. The only way to sail O. Never pay list if you can help it at all.)

Best way to avoid paying 'list" is to use a good travel agent who offers additional value. This avoids paying ten percent or more for every cruise as some do by booking direct with the cruise line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

To answer the OP’s question, I call the main desk and don’t start a personal confrontation

This X100

• Like 3

This was not on the Vista (because we had no problem when sailing in a B category last spring,) but when sailing on a HAL ship in May, we had the loud talking neighbor. 

On Day 2 of the cruise, my neighbor and I walked out of our staterooms at the same time and waited for an elevator.  I took the opportunity to say something to her about the talking.   I simply asked if she could hear talking or loud T.V. noises coming from my stateroom.  She replied that she could not.  I told her that I could hear very distinct talking coming from her stateroom.   She mentioned that it was the poor wall insulation. 

We had a very pleasant conversation about cruise line cut-backs.  I thought that my mentioning being able to hear her and her cabinmate talking would do the trick, and she would keep her voice down.  I was wrong!

• Haha 5

On 8/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, pinotlover said:

I believe the original question asked revolves around the assumption that on occasion noisy neighbors do in fact exist. Whether any existed next to you on any given cruise is not relevant. At times they do exist, and it’s not totally related to the Vista. Hopefully no one is trying to deny the oblivious.

On 8/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, pinotlover said:

The original was was actually specific to the Vista.   As this is a known construction issues,  the answer is a completely different beast.   It certainly doesn't make rhe neighbors "uncivilized"

The original was was actually specific to the Vista.   As this is a known construction issues,  the answer is a completely different beast.   It certainly doesn't make rhe neighbors "uncivilized"

It appears the OP hasn't even started his sailing (I could be wrong) and he's worried about uncivilized neighbors and wants to blame other guests for an Oceania issue and ignore the advice on how to mitigate the issue. 

Maybe if the OP is so concerned the Vista is not the ship for them.  Far too expensive of a trip to have to worry and be upset. 

I work in a loud manufacturing environment, and am so used to talking over loud machinery.   I try to be sensitive to that when I am in close quarters, but I would appreciate it if I am forgetting my non-work volume and my neighbor reminds me, as I don't know what they can and can't hear.  On ships other than Vista, I have not had an issue.

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 8:41 PM, Yesimapirate said:

It appears the OP hasn't even started his sailing (I could be wrong) and he's worried about uncivilized neighbors and wants to blame other guests for an Oceania issue and ignore the advice on how to mitigate the issue. 

Maybe if the OP is so concerned the Vista is not the ship for them.  Far too expensive of a trip to have to worry and be upset. 

I have indeed been on Vista (last November) and we had neighbors on both side of us (B3 stateroom) and never heard a peep from them. I didn't become aware of the noise issue until I read about it here. I was asking, hypothetically, less because I'm concerned about noise per se than I am about the politest or preferred way to handle an issue with guests in an adjoining stateroom. On the one hand it might be friendlier to speak to the party directly, but since I can't predict if the party will themselves be civilized or perhaps even combative, I'm tending to think it should just be raised with guest services. Of course, if guest services broaches the subject with the party, they will know it was someone on one side of them or the other who complained. I guess I'll just hope this doesn't happen to us in the future and, if it does, deal with it then. We are on Marina next so I don't anticipate a noise issue. Then we are on Allura and hopefully they will have addressed the noise issue prior to completion of the vessel.  

I should add that if I were making enough noise to disturb a neighbor, I would want to be notified so I could take corrective action. We live in a condo and although we don't have thin walls, when people mount televisions on walls they pierce the wall and also wall-mounted televisions usually have speakers that fire from the back of the unit. We have also had elderly hard-of-hearing neighbors who turned their TVs to "100." But we've always been able to work things out amicably.  

Edited by MarkWiltonM

4 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I have indeed been on Vista (last November) and we had neighbors on both side of us (B3 stateroom) and never heard a peep from them. I didn't become aware of the noise issue until I read about it here. I was asking, hypothetically, less because I'm concerned about noise per se than I am about the politest or preferred way to handle an issue with guests in an adjoining stateroom. On the one hand it might be friendlier to speak to the party directly, but since I can't predict if the party will themselves be civilized or perhaps even combative, I'm tending to think it should just be raised with guest services. Of course, if guest services broaches the subject with the party, they will know it was someone on one side of them or the other who complained. I guess I'll just hope this doesn't happen to us in the future and, if it does, deal with it then. We are on Marina next so I don't anticipate a noise issue. Then we are on Allura and hopefully they will have addressed the noise issue prior to completion of the vessel.  

I should add that if I were making enough noise to disturb a neighbor, I would want to be notified so I could take corrective action. We live in a condo and although we don't have thin walls, when people mount televisions on walls they pierce the wall and also wall-mounted televisions usually have speakers that fire from the back of the unit. We have also had elderly hard-of-hearing neighbors who turned their TVs to "100." But we've always been able to work things out amicably.  

"On the one hand it might be friendlier to speak to the party directly"

I'm going to suggest not.  If the noise issue is bad enough to have an impact, it is better let guest services handle.  We are sharing a ship with many others.  I suspect while many noise complaints are well founded, there are also some that are not.  

• Thanks 1