Greenland included tour isn’t a tour

Redtravel

We are on Viking Mars now. Viking advertises an included tour in each port. We expected a tour in each port.  Both included tours in Greenland aren’t tours.  Tender in and walk yourself to town. No maps, no directions, no shuttles, no taxis, no tour… There are several people on the ship that took tender and turned around and came back to the ship.  We understand that tomorrow is the same. Viking cruise director calls it a self guided tour or tour at leisure. I call it a disappointment. 

• Like 7

We did these tours last year - they were two of the best trips we had.  Whilst it is self guided you meet the locals at each point.  And therein was the absolute delight - super people, happy to share about living there in all seasons and how unique life is.  It clearly said self guided on the Viking descriptions we saw pre boarding so were expecting it and loved it.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

We did this self-guided tour in 2019. It was great! We loved walking around at our own pace, seeing kayaking demonstrations, hearing music, meeting locals, and otherwise enjoying the small Greenland town of Qaqortoq.

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 6

I can somewhat see both sides of this.  Viking does market they have an included tour, and I feel most folks would assume this to mean something more substantial than self-exploration.

But I think the participant should at a minimum read about the excursion beforehand.  If nothing else to make sure they are physically capable of participating in the excursion.  

In the case of excursions in Greenland, maybe one should realize there's likely not a tour bus fleet there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

We did this self-guided tour in 2019. It was great! We loved walking around at our own pace, seeing kayaking demonstrations, hearing music, meeting locals, and otherwise enjoying the small Greenland town of Qaqortoq.

We did the same, also in 2019, and it was one of our most memorable stops of the cruise.  A local gentleman sound us walking back through a neighborhood and invited us up onto his deck for a spectacular view.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I would love to do this!  My husband has been asking about a trip to Greenland, so I will have to look into this.  And I would do Iceland again in a heartbeat.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

You may have enjoyed your walk.  Viking advertises an included tour in each port.  This is not a tour. 

It may not have been a tour to you. But it was a tour to us.

My wife and I have traveled the world on our own. We thoroughly enjoy exploring out-of-the-way places like Qaqortoq. We don’t need shuttles, taxis, and guides in order to tour a place. Our own two feet work just fine.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We are on Viking Mars now. Viking advertises an included tour in each port. We expected a tour in each port.  Both included tours in Greenland aren’t tours.  Tender in and walk yourself to town. No maps, no directions, no shuttles, no taxis, no tour… There are several people on the ship that took tender and turned around and came back to the ship.  We understand that tomorrow is the same. Viking cruise director calls it a self guided tour or tour at leisure. I call it a disappointment. 

I’m surprised that there were no maps. Nowadays, Viking provides a QR code for a map at the guest services desk and the disembarkation point. Did you attend or watch the video of the port talks for these 2 tours? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Breckski said:

In the case of excursions in Greenland, maybe one should realize there's likely not a tour bus fleet there.

I don't think there are any buses in the smaller towns. Residents get around by foot, by snowmobile and by boat. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

We’ve visited Qaqortoq back in Aug 2022. On page 10 of my below Celebrity Summit Live From thread starting at post #226 are some photos of our walk around the outskirts of the town, highlighted in the gray area on this map. If you want to take the long walk around the lake, budget a good 3 - 4 hours.

One suggestion after you disembark the tender. Go left, as it’s quite steep if you start your walk to the right. 

IMG_1442.thumb.jpeg.bb382cc5cecaaffff7edc3e0ccb3eb18.jpeg

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2871021-live-from-the-summit-87-to-831-from-an-aqua-passenger-viewpoint/page/10/

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You may have enjoyed your walk.  Viking advertises an included tour in each port.  This is not a tour. 

So, is this about you feel cheated?  I’m really not sure quite where you are coming from?  Believe me, I’ve had worse “tours” when there WAS a guide.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Viking didn’t advertise an included tour in this port. It very clearly states it’s not an organized tour.  This is common in the small, out of the way ports on these amazing sailings to remote areas.  If this upsets you so much, you can always stick to the Caribbean and the Med.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 7

Doesn't  Viking use the term "excursion" in every port?  So an excursion doesn't necessarily mean a tour, does it?  If they tender you off the boat and into town, aren't you then on an excursion into town?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Get real! You are going to Greenland. The description clearly said for both ports it was self guided. Maps and routes were available on the pier. We were greeted by delightful people including little girls having a lot of fun. 
If you went straight back here are examples of what you missed. 

Quaqortac

IMG_1780.thumb.jpeg.b797f99f8d8bd35bbd76ecb8abcdb220.jpeg

IMG_1781.thumb.jpeg.0b17bcbf1358094b899b452c183284d1.jpeg

IMG_1794.thumb.jpeg.000e5a44a0636372fd74f7c367870f7d.jpeg

IMG_1799.thumb.jpeg.f72a54d95a45a78a822929d86f329352.jpeg

IMG_1807.thumb.jpeg.18686a050d1de5c53893f02d3eb7f98b.jpeg

Nanotalik

IMG_1839.thumb.jpeg.5de4a872c1e9d14f2654d1bae9dca286.jpeg

IMG_1841.thumb.jpeg.4b68f53f80f76a19f9edd9637b91dc72.jpeg

IMG_1852.thumb.jpeg.18a0fc24d2cb75a60f28a9b481121d8b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

We have been to Quaqortac and other ports in Greenland.  They are not urban, do not have so much infrastructure, are not mainstream tourist haunts.  Travellers visit for the different type of scenery and lifestyle.  I loved the places and am pleased to have had the opportunity to experience something different.

Yes, you will probably have to get about under your own steam (I dont recall seeing any public transport).  Facilities may be more limited and basic and it may very well be wet.  I am still astonished at the response of a fellow cruiser in Greenland when I asked the next day if she had enjoyed the visit only to be told that as it looked a bit wet they hadnt bothered getting off.  I thought how can you come so far and to choose somewhere so different and then not bother?  (The same thing happened another time in Svalbard, by the way.  Another place you dont have or do organised tours.)

Greenland port stops are not places for tours.  Another example of where it pays to do research.   

• Like 9

11 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Doesn't  Viking use the term "excursion" in every port?  So an excursion doesn't necessarily mean a tour, does it?  If they tender you off the boat and into town, aren't you then on an excursion into town?

Actually, Viking does say “tour” - not “excursion”. Having said that, the type of tour is not specified until you read the individual descriptions. A self-guided tour is still a tour.

• Like 3

We have stopped in Greenland twice on Viking cruises (Quarqortac and Paamiut- missed the other ports due to ice, etc.) I love the change of pace; “talking” to the children, shopping in the stores (Brugseni in Quarqortac), wandering all over and just taking in a completely different life vibe. Great memories!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Actually, Viking does say “tour” - not “excursion”. Having said that, the type of tour is not specified until you read the individual descriptions. A self-guided tour is still a tour.

Nope, I just pulled this off the website, under the Viking Difference:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Nope, I just pulled this off the website, under the Viking Difference:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call

Now look at any of the postings in “Post Viking Promos” where they’re just called tours.

20 hours ago, Redtravel said:

So I looked in another place and guess what - the main website for the Greenland itinerary states “Guided Tours” - so you do have an issue with Viking. I suggest contacting Customer Relations soon after you get back - you should get some credit for a future cruise.

15 hours ago, Squawkman said:

I’m surprised that there were no maps. Nowadays, Viking provides a QR code for a map at the guest services desk and the disembarkation point. Did you attend or watch the video of the port talks for these 2 tours? 

Tip for everywhere:  Download the local area in Google Maps to your phone the night before.  You can use the map even without data ashore.  Plus, the GPS function of your phone will give you your location as you walk through town.

For more details, just search for Offline Maps.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Slightly off topic but when we were with Viking in Q Greenland we took the absolutely excellent RIB boat (redundant) tour to see the harbor glaciers close up. Note that you do not have to overdress warmly as they zipper you into a huge puffy suit for the trip. You just need enough agility to get into the rubber boat which is quite easy and they help you.

Short under 10 minute walk from the pier where Viking's shuttle boats dock.

Edited by philw1776

22 hours ago, Redtravel said:

There are several people on the ship that took tender and turned around and came back to the ship.

In another thread, somebody took issue with what's printed in Viking literature that Viking Air will hold your hand at every step of the journey... and keep you informed at every step of the journey....

Maybe I should take issue with Viking claiming to be for "the thinking person" and more accurately describe it as, "for the thinking and a lot of unthinking people".

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I'm in the 'I liked it' camp on this one.  In fact, there have been posts like this before and I commented that I'll bet some ports in Alaska were like this, before mass tourism started (and ruined them).  I hope these types of places don't turn into that and stay the way they are.  I think this was the place where there was one tourist shop and they had, mostly all, stuff made by locals, just beautiful things for purchase.  (and they were selling a lot of it) 

• Like 5