Comments please……..

suech1970

5 minutes ago, Wanderfully said:

Your post made me immediately think I should recommend the Caribbean Princess.

She will just be out of dry dock in November 2024. We have only cruised on the Grand Class ships because they have a nice mix of entertainment, good food, smaller ships and they have the promenade deck.

We don't care about specialty dining ( or speciality anything really ) because it's fun to have lunch or dinner and drinks in the ports and we've always felt well taken care of with the ship standard.  The International Cafe ( free) and continental room service every morning ( free also although we do tip the steward $2 or 3) are favorites. 

Total agreement with others that the crews on Princess ( at least all our sailings) have always been lovely.

Our January sailing has no tender ports and at 3 of the 4 ports, we are the only cruise ship so we were attracted to that 8 day itinerary.

We have always booked a Caribe deck extra large balcony. The door to the balcony slides open so it will stay open if you prefer it to.

Fly into Melbourne a couple days early and stay at the Inn at Cocoa Beach so your vacation can start even before you get on the ship. 

Welcome to Princess and Cheers!

By keeping your balcony door open you can cause issues for the shared HVAC system. At least this is what we have been told by several Engineers on the ships

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wonderfully,  😮

Just NO.    You are not at home.  A balcony is not for leaving the door open all night.  That is not the purpose of a balcony.  

The system on ships is a closed system that circulates and pulls air from all cabins in your section.   This IS a problem.   The system can screw up, or freeze up.  The guest in the cabins all around you will suffer, as they are trying to sleep in cool dry comfortable air.  You, as an individual might not feel the need for cooler air, but this is disrespectful to all around you.

Get a wave white-noise machine.

Enjoy your balcony,  THEN turn in for the night.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 7

I understand your thoughts and have also read many posts about it Wishing. My comment was not to start a big discussion nor to be snarky. It is a benefit to me to be on a ship that was designed so that doors to the balcony can be open and stay that way easily and I wished to let the OP know that about the CB to help in their decision making.

We may have to agree to disagree on how we get our fresh air.

Other posts indicate AC shuts off when balcony door is opened and the other impacted fresh air system will either take fresh air from circulating 20 year old duct systems on the CB or actual fresh air from outside. I will now withdraw from the conversation and hope its ended.

• Like 1

FWIW we have had a blast cruising with Princess quite a few times over the past couple of years, mostly in either a VS or Reserve Collection mini suite. If you look in my below signature area, you'll find quite a few Live From threads which highlight our cruises to Alaska, Antarctica/SA, Canada, Japan, and most recently Norway and the Baltic. If you're curious about our experiences on and off the ship, I would start on page 4 or so and look at the photos. It will go much quicker! 😂

My one big warning to anyone sailing Princess for the first time would be that the balcony cabins are not comparable to what you would expect on the other lines you mentioned. The bathrooms in a normal balcony cabin are TEENY TINY and have shower curtains on their TEENY TINY showers that will stick to every inch of you if you are over 175 pounds. Also, they do not include a couch/sofa or any additional seating besides a desk chair.

I highly recommend booking a deluxe balcony on the royal class ships, as they include a loveseat (still a tiny bathroom) or a mini-suite on any of the ships as those include a full-size sofa and a bathtub/shower combo (still with a shower curtain but large enough it doesn't stick to you).

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 8:26 AM, suech1970 said:

We are looking at booking our 1st Princess cruise in Caribbean, seen some very competitive prices with Princess Plus included. Any pros and cons with Princess would be much appreciated on ANYTHING about them.

We are well cruised and like NCL, Celebrity and Marella for food, good cocktails, live music (love a rock night🤘) entertainment (more so game show, audience participation than shows), trivia, casual/ relaxed atmosphere. Dislike formal nights but could tolerate odd one, but hubby will not do suits😆

Any comments very welcome, thanks guys😁

We sail both Celebrity and Princess depending on who has the better price for the same or similar itinerary. They are very much a like.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wanderfully said:

Your post made me immediately think I should recommend the Caribbean Princess.

She will just be out of dry dock in November 2024. We have only cruised on the Grand Class ships because they have a nice mix of entertainment, good food, smaller ships and they have the promenade deck.

We don't care about specialty dining ( or speciality anything really ) because it's fun to have lunch or dinner and drinks in the ports and we've always felt well taken care of with the ship standard.  The International Cafe ( free) and continental room service every morning ( free also although we do tip the steward $2 or 3) are favorites. 

Total agreement with others that the crews on Princess ( at least all our sailings) have always been lovely.

Our January sailing has no tender ports and at 3 of the 4 ports, we are the only cruise ship so we were attracted to that 8 day itinerary.

We have always booked a Caribe deck extra large balcony. The door to the balcony slides open so it will stay open if you prefer it to.

Fly into Melbourne a couple days early and stay at the Inn at Cocoa Beach so your vacation can start even before you get on the ship. 

Welcome to Princess and Cheers!

….thanks for that, I did notice she was having another refurb Oct. She may well have had another before we go, as we are looking at April 26😆.  
It’s 10 days, 6 cracking ports, no tenders. I picked Caribe deck as my first choice but I can put the balcony door thing to bed…….we’re having an INSIDE cabin😱😱😱

For us as a couple, a balcony is a total waste of money. We literally shower and sleep in it and that’s it. Ended up with a balcony, by default once, I think we sat out twice in10 days, kept forgetting it was there. I’d much rather be on top deck getting my rays and fresh air by then pool and bar 😉or watching the wake from the aft. I feel like if I’m in my cabin, I’m missing something and not getting my moneys worth on the drinks package😆.  I’m a bit of a social butterfly, love sitting at bar (yeh, another no no) and chatting to complete strangers, have made some great memories (some forgotten 🤪) and friends in the process. Those are the sorts of things makes our cruises great for us.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wanderfully said:

Besides we shut the AC down the minute we get into the cabin. No need for it.

12 hours ago, Wanderfully said:

I understand your thoughts and have also read many posts about it Wishing. My comment was not to start a big discussion nor to be snarky. It is a benefit to me to be on a ship that was designed so that doors to the balcony can be open and stay that way easily and I wished to let the OP know that about the CB to help in their decision making.

We may have to agree to disagree on how we get our fresh air.

Other posts indicate AC shuts off when balcony door is opened and the other impacted fresh air system will either take fresh air from circulating 20 year old duct systems on the CB or actual fresh air from outside. I will now withdraw from the conversation and hope its ended.

I guess you don't sail much in tropical climates, like the Caribbean during the hot season. 

On 8/25/2024 at 11:40 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Your Hubby does need to pack a tux/formal attire.

Not in the last few years, he doesn't.

It's become an individual choice, just like all the other cruise lines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

My one big warning to anyone sailing Princess for the first time would be that the balcony cabins are not comparable to what you would expect on the other lines you mentioned. The bathrooms in a normal balcony cabin are TEENY TINY and have shower curtains on their TEENY TINY showers that will stick to every inch of you if you are over 175 pounds. Also, they do not include a couch/sofa or any additional seating besides a desk chair.

I highly recommend booking a deluxe balcony on the royal class ships, as they include a loveseat (still a tiny bathroom) or a mini-suite on any of the ships as those include a full-size sofa and a bathtub/shower combo (still with a shower curtain but large enough it doesn't stick to you).

Thanks for all your information. We are booked on Enchanted Princess in a mini suite next year. A little concerned about the whole shower curtain situation!!!!!

13 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Thanks for all your information. We are booked on Enchanted Princess in a mini suite next year. A little concerned about the whole shower curtain situation!!!!!

Mini Suites have a tub/shower combo, similar to many homes. You have to step over the tub side to enter the shower. 

5 hours ago, 555 said:

I meant too say does not need to pack a tux.  Sport coat is fine.  Sometimes I will wear a very nice sweater with a shirt and tie.

• Thanks 1

TIP for the shower curtain...  Unless one is a larger person...  wet the shower curtain down so that it hangs heavy and wet, BEFORE you get in and get wet.  It is the wet person and the dry curtains that make it so friendly/clingy!

People have also tried bringing magnetic clips to try to keep it in place.

8 hours ago, 555 said:

I don’t even own a tie since I retired. Every dinner it is crew pants and button down shirts. My shoes don’t even have laces except for my snow boots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I meant too say does not need to pack a tux.  Sport coat is fine.  Sometimes I will wear a very nice sweater with a shirt and tie.

I'm sure that makes him quite happy. 😊

9 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

The shower curtain isn't nearly as much of an issue in a mini-suite. We just came back from the Enchanted in a mini-suite and it was a significant improvement over the balcony on the Emerald. I could shave my legs in the mini-suite tub/shower without issue.

5 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t even own a tie since I retired. Every dinner it is crew pants and button down shirts. My shoes don’t even have laces except for my snow boots

People in the current work force don't own a tie. Business dress code has changed. My son works for a bank and they are allowed to wear jeans. There is no way that this new generation of remote workers who wear lounge pants to work are going to want to wear a suit on vacation. Celebrity gave up formal nights and now call them Evening Chic which basically means dress up if you want or just wear what you would wear every other night. Princess is kidding themselves with formal nights.

21 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

What's worse than a tiny Princess balcony is the Infinity Veranda on Celebrity. The new E class ships have a window at the back of the room that rolls down. The chairs are low back cafeteria chairs and the worse part is if one person wants to be in an air conditioned room while the other wants an open veranda they are out of luck because once that window is open the A/C turns off. That's good for those who like to sleep with the balcony door open and they won't have to pack duct tape or bungee cords to jerry rig the door open.

I have not read any of the postings here, but here is my 2 cents worth. I have been BLESSED to do probably over 20 some cruises, and most of them were on Carnival, and other cruise lines, and when I got checking waaaaaaaaaaaay back, I seen where I had done a Princess over 24 years ago. Because it had the champagne tower (I have some great pictures of myself back then with the tower which was much higher than what it is now), I wanted to do it again, although this tower is NOT as high as the original one which makes sense, for when the ship starts rocking and rolling, that is when the tower started falling down. Anyway we decided to do the Regal in February of this year, and because we enjoyed it so much, we are booked to do the Enchanted in February 2025. 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess is kidding themselves with formal nights.

I believe they're still holding on to the term as it encourages people to dress up a bit better to sell those "formal night" photo's and increased wine sales for those without a package.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess is kidding themselves with formal nights.

In the British Isle cruises people still dress up. It’s lovely to see people enjoying themselves. There are lots of options for those who don’t want to dress up for the MDR. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What's worse than a tiny Princess balcony is the Infinity Veranda on Celebrity. The new E class ships have a window at the back of the room that rolls down. The chairs are low back cafeteria chairs and the worse part is if one person wants to be in an air conditioned room while the other wants an open veranda they are out of luck because once that window is open the A/C turns off. That's good for those who like to sleep with the balcony door open and they won't have to pack duct tape or bungee cords to jerry rig the door open.

I wasn't complaining about the size of the balcony itself on Princess, I was complaining about the size of the room and, especially the bathroom. I agree with you that those infinite Verandas on Celebrity's E Class are terrible. They are the main reason we still haven't sailed E Class and stick to M and S Class on Celebrity.