Reading onboard

PasadenaDave

IMG_0155.thumb.jpeg.e843f9c9cd886ecc47d9d430038d3e6c.jpeg

I pulled out a book which I have not read for a few years and look what I found.  Sadly this was a wrapper from a chocolate from a refrigerator in a Viking cabin.  I guess I know where I was the last time I read this book.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I pulled out a book which I have not read for a few years and look what I found.  Sadly this was a wrapper from a chocolate from a refrigerator in a Viking cabin.  I guess I know where I was the last time I read this book.

In the Living Room, no doubt! 😁

I have a handful of those Viking bookmarks, but not the one shown. Guess I will have to schedule another cruise to see if I can track one of those down! In fact, I actually have an actual collection of bookmarks. They are the only thing I will souvenir shop for when we travel. They are cheap, easy to pack, and I use one of them every day. What could be better than that?

• Like 1

More than once we have found those bookmarks in a book we are in the middle of reading on board.  It has appeared at the correct place in the book on the bedside table when we are out. 

We assume the room steward notes what is marking the page and helps out ......?

Another example of Viking service.  

• Like 3

I use a kindle most of the time. On cruises, I visit the library on the first day.  Pick up a book.  On Viking, there are books in many places on the ship. There doesn’t seem to be any order to those displayed.  There is a guest book exchange.  Not many books there. I have found many art books. They are beautiful, but heavy.  As for fiction, the selection is not recent. It’s no wonder that there was an old bookmark in the book. I have been on Mars more than a week. I keep looking for a new read. Nothing. Luckily I have books on my kindle.  

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

That would make it a kindlemark.

Kindle does indeed have kindle marks.  "Real books" are full of others cooties.  My Kindle is filthy only with my stuff......

• Like 3

I took my Kindle on a B2B earlier this year and never opened it, instead I read four books borrowed from the library. There is always a great and varied choice to be had on board

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

More than once we have found those bookmarks in a book we are in the middle of reading on board.  It has appeared at the correct place in the book on the bedside table when we are out. 

We assume the room steward notes what is marking the page and helps out ......?

Another example of Viking service.  

I think that is how I got the bookmark....the chocolate wrapper was what I was using as a bookmark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:09 PM, PasadenaDave said:

Open up that candy wrapper and you get another story!  Unless you’re fluent in Norwegian you’ll have to use Google image to translate it, but each wrapper has the fairy tail that is illustrated on the front.  (fyi, I had been sailing on Viking for 6 years before I learned this). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2024 at 2:27 AM, Redtravel said:

There doesn’t seem to be any order to those displayed.  There is a guest book exchange.  

Actually there is an organization to the books - as long as the Viking staff has time to put books back in their places between cruises, which isn't always possible.   But still, in general the various locations feature the same classification of books each cruise.  i.e  Explorer's Lounge has books on exploring (naturally) - Arctic, Antarctic, etc  as well as some history.  Wintergarden on one side has more eclectic non-fiction.  The attrium has some categories but never really looked there much since they do seem mixed up.

I thoroughly enjoy science, technology, history, and exploration books - so I'm in heaven on Viking and always find too many books to read.    (Oh my - that is sort of the categories of the enrichment lectures as well - funny thing on Viking).

• Like 2

Last Christmas I had taken a book about Shackleton's adventure on the Endurance with me on our Auckland to Sydney trip.  I agree, an interesting subject (shipwreck) on a cruise ship.  While looking at books in the Living Room I found another book with the same title Endurance which was a collection of adventure stories.  Both books completed before arriving in Hobart.

• Like 1

I get through 2 or 3 books on a typical 10 - 14 day VO cruise.  

I realised that there is an order of book display.  The Winter Garden poolside cases have food related books.  I pass those.  Non fiction is on the Winter Garden taller bookcases flanking the doors furthest from the grill.  Explorers Lounge both floors is mostly travel and exploration with some e.g. music books too.  The Living Room and Atrium has most books including any fiction.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

The Living Room and Atrium has most books including any fiction

They also have a large selection of books on art and photography. I read one on the complete works of Renoir while waiting for our train to Oslo. We were there from 8-10:30 AM.

I read pretty much every day. Being old school, I bring actual books when I travel, but then we have never cruised longer than 15 days. If we ever do a longer cruise, I guess I will have to get a kindle!

Viking has such nice spaces for reading. While it might seem to be a rather solitary activity, I have enjoyed many a conversation with fellow readers about our books of choice. We (my reader spouse and I) have often come home from a trip with recommendations for new authors to try. Those conversations often digress into movies to watch and tv series to binge. Sometimes we don't actually get much reading done at all! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

I read pretty much every day. Being old school, I bring actual books when I travel, but then we have never cruised longer than 15 days. If we ever do a longer cruise, I guess I will have to get a kindle!

I read every day.  I thoroughly enjoyed a 120 day world cruise.  Not on Viking but on the ship with supposedly the largest library at sea. 😀  I got through lots of books!  I haven't even got a kindle.  

• Like 2

Before I  sail a viking ship I read the curated reading list that Viking provides on their web site for each itinerary. I usually buy the book online or sometimes I can download them on my ebooks. I love knowing the history of the places I will see and any fiction that takes place in the places I will visit.

Seeing I book so far in advance , it is easy reading for a year or two.

• Like 2