Internet question

I don't have the HIA package for my upcoming solo cruise -- but I've just discovered that I can no longer pay-as-you-go for internet minutes. My plan is to find wifi in ports to check email but now I'm wondering how I'm going to do my online checkin for my flight home. My last day on board is a sea day. Do I have to buy a one day plan? Are there other options that I'm not thinking of? The price per day seems to be $34.99 US (which is about $47 Cdn -- ugh) -- this seems high to use it once to check in.

Just now, Stpatsirish said:

You can do your check in on the day of in the port. You don’t have to do it the day before.

Unfortunately, Air Canada only allows checkins 24 hours ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

Unfortunately, Air Canada only allows checkins 24 hours ahead of time.

I believe you are reading that incorrectly... it is WITHIN 24 hours of departure, which means you could do it when the ship gets into port the morning of your flight and use your regular cell service.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

I believe you are reading that incorrectly... it is WITHIN 24 hours of departure, which means you could do it when the ship gets into port the morning of your flight and use your regular cell service.

I guess........I always feel better doing it as soon as it's available........

Edited by Musigurl
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

I guess........I always feel better doing it as soon as it's available........

You will be check a bag or two, correct? You can check in then. You will likely need to show your passport to fully check in.

When we cruise we never buy  internet packages . I will come home & cancel thousands of unwanted e-mails . E-mails for many of us have become a   garbage dump  / Why spend monry on unwanted junk .Besides I really want to get away from computers .so we can totally relax on any cruise

• Like 4

We have had wifi on our cruises, but are there not computers by Guest Services that anyone can use for something like flight check in?  I understand you wanting to check in when check in is available.  Can you check in by calling on your cell phone using the 800#?  My husband has done this.  Not sure what your cell phone service is.  Hoping you have a great cruise and all works out!!!  Cherie 

• Like 1

The computers HAL provide for guest use only give free internet access to the HAL website and your HAL account etc, and anyone they have a partnership with - you used to be able to view selected articles from the NY Times for free for example, but not sure if that’s still the case. If the NYT still is free, you can also view it from the Navigator App. 

If you log into your HAL account and have purchased an internet plan, you can use their computer to use the internet such as for airline checkin, and print things off. Or you’d just use your own device. But they don’t provide free internet access to airline web sites. 

On one of our cruises last year the internet was down on the last sea day which was when alot of people were needing to do airline checkin. The lines at guest services were huge, and they did offer to make any calls for you that you needed for free which was a nice gesture. 

Like already said, if you don’t want to pay for the ships internet you can do your airline check in on the day, as long as it’s before their cut off time!

You can pay for the one day that you need internet on the ship.

PS. Just off the Zuiderdam and I was quite happy with the new Starlink internet system.

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, senorjim said:

You can pay for the one day that you need internet on the ship.

PS. Just off the Zuiderdam and I was quite happy with the new Starlink internet system.

Jim

Yes, this is what I used to do -- but now HAL says this:

Based on guest feedback we have moved away from pricing based on minutes or megabytes. Our aim is to reduce friction in the guest experience by ensuring guests do not have to monitor their usage – they only need to purchase the package which includes the sites they want and enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

Based on guest feedback we have moved away from pricing based on minutes or megabytes. Our aim is to reduce friction in the guest experience by ensuring guests do not have to monitor their usage – they only need to purchase the package which includes the sites they want and enjoy.

The info you quoted says HAL is not basing the Internet charge on minutes or megabytes. The pricing is now by the day. You can find Crew News current pricing list here:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/

• Like 1

Air Canada has recently changed their check in policy.

If you have paid extra for a seat and booked it you don't need to worry about checking in early.  

Friends recently had a scare when they thought the TA had booked and paid for specific seats, but she hadn't.  When they went to check in their were only 2 seats left on the plane,  not together.

Person who sat next to us on our last flight had the same issue.

Not sure exactly what the new policy is as we had booked and paid for specific seats.

You could check with Air Canada.

I would let someone use my wifi to do that. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Otherwise I would look in to purchasing one day access.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Musigurl said:

Exactly  Pay by the day. Pay for the day you want.

Jim

1 hour ago, VermeulT said:

Could you take advantage of Luggage Direct or similar service depending on the disembarkation port?  That checks your bag through and gets you a boarding pass.

Luggage Direct is only at Ft Lauderdale, for certain flights, and may not work for international flights. Port Valet is only at Seattle, and has the same limits. 

Thanks to all who responded. I can now see that even though there is no longer a per minute option, there is apparently a per day option for $27.99 (purchased pre-boarding) or $34.99 (purchased onboard) -- both of which seem pricey to just do an airline check-in. However, as others have pointed out, I can just use my data the morning we return to Vancouver. One less thing to worry about 🙂 

• Like 1