Booking the Apex.

Topdog52

Posted (edited)

I WANTED TO BOOK A CRUISE ON THE APEX, BUT WAS TOLD I NEEDED  $900 FOR A DOWN PAYMENT. THIS IS FINE, BUT I WAS ALSO TOLD IF I CHANGE MY MIND AND CANCEL A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER, I WOULD LOSE MY DOWN PAYMENT. I WAS ALSO TOLD IF I WANTED TO SWITCH MY CRUISE TO ANOTHER DATE OR SHIP, IT WOULD COST EACH OF US $100. DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT? I WANTED TO CRUISE ON THE APEX, AS I CRUISE MAINLY CRUISE WITH NCL, BUT NOT UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS. PS sorry, I did not realize my caps were on.

Edited by Topdog52

I don't know about the deposit amount (sounds like a suite of some type?), but if you book a non-refundable deposit, the loss of down payment or $100/person change fee is correct.

Ask about booking a refundable deposit if you want those options. The cruise will cost more, but you can cancel and get a refund or change your sailing without penalty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Topdog52 that would be a suite deposit amount, which is non-refundable in total if the booking is canceled and carries a $100 pp change fee.  

Standard staterooms deposit is $250 and can be booked as either a refundable or non-refundable deposit.  The total cruise fare varies based on the type of deposit, with refundable deposit fares being higher than NRD fares.  The NRD terms are the same regarding change fee @ $100 pp and loss of full deposit with a booking cancelation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)

WHAT IS MY DEPOSIT AMOUNT?

Effective June 1st, 2023, deposits for suites, The Retreat, bookings will be calculated as 10% of cruise fare of the stateroom. If the 10% value is less than the current standard deposit amount, the standard amount will be applied. All other deposits for Aqua Class, Concierge Class, Veranda, ocean view and inside staterooms are unchanged.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/5_15_23_Suite_Percentage_Deposit_FAQs.pdf

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

I think the deposit for European cruises (at least the ones I have taken) is $450 pp. I have never booked a suite. Or maybe it's for longer cruises because it is normally $250 for weeklong Caribbean cruises. Also, yes, as I experienced recently they now charge $100 pp to change sailing, which is a pretty lousy thing to do to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridianny said:

Also, yes, as I experienced recently they now charge $100 pp to change sailing, which is a pretty lousy thing to do to us. 

Only with nonrefundable deposit bookings, which has been in place since the NRD deposits were initiated.  Refundable deposit bookings carry no change fees or loss of deposit with cancelations.

The deposit for any cabin on any 9 night and longer cruise is $450/pp. 

What you were told is correct. If you want the option of canceling with zero penalty you need to pay extra for a refundable deposit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

We just booked a cruise on the Apex and the deposit for an OV room was $960. Change of cruise is $100 pp. I have looked at other cruises and the deposit is always $960. 

Interesting.  I just did a mock booking on a Jan 2025 Apex sailing for an OV and the deposit required is $250 pp, which for 7-night sailings is how it always has been.

9 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Interesting.  I just did a mock booking on a Jan 2025 Apex sailing for an OV and the deposit required is $250 pp, which for 7-night sailings is how it always has been.

Try doing a mock booking for a longer booking.  Just booked a 10 N deposit was $900.

4 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

I WANTED TO BOOK A CRUISE ON THE APEX, BUT WAS TOLD I NEEDED  $900 FOR A DOWN PAYMENT. THIS IS FINE, BUT I WAS ALSO TOLD IF I CHANGE MY MIND AND CANCEL A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER, I WOULD LOSE MY DOWN PAYMENT. I WAS ALSO TOLD IF I WANTED TO SWITCH MY CRUISE TO ANOTHER DATE OR SHIP, IT WOULD COST EACH OF US $100. DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT? I WANTED TO CRUISE ON THE APEX, AS I CRUISE MAINLY CRUISE WITH NCL, BUT NOT UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS. PS sorry, I did not realize my caps were on.

OP, as others have said, the deposit is $450/pp.  I booked a cruise on Apex as a solo and dep. was $450 for just me.  I came to book this cruise by cancelling another TA originally I was on Eclipse.  I paid the $100 change fee/penalty, or whatever you want to call it, though in the long run I did this because I saved well over $1000 by moving (X calls it move and shift) my cruise from Eclipse to Apex.  IMO paying the higher fare for a refundable deposit is not worth it, but obviously YMMV and we all have to do what's best for our personal circumstances.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Try doing a mock booking for a longer booking.  Just booked a 10 N deposit was $900.

I understand that and that requirement is correct.  I was responding in reference to the poster who indicated always paying a $960 deposit for an OV.  Length was not specified so I just did a 7 night.  But either way the $960 still doesn't sound right but it would imply they always booked 9 night+ cruises.  (BTW my responses in this thread have always use a 7-night cruise deposit as my assumption).

16 hours ago, floridianny said:

I think the deposit for European cruises (at least the ones I have taken) is $450 pp. I have never booked a suite. Or maybe it's for longer cruises because it is normally $250 for weeklong Caribbean cruises. Also, yes, as I experienced recently they now charge $100 pp to change sailing, which is a pretty lousy thing to do to us. 

I agree!! If you are still sailing with them, why penalize you? With some cruise companies if you are 120 days out you can cancel for a full refund.