electronic boarding passes??

Even with lines that are digital, I'd have a paper copy just in case. I can't begin to count the number of times digital failed during critical moments. 

Imagine the bandwidth needed in the departure hall with thousands of people using net to watch YouTube, ect at the same time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Even with lines that are digital, I'd have a paper copy just in case. I can't begin to count the number of times digital failed during critical moments. 

Imagine the bandwidth needed in the departure hall with thousands of people using net to watch YouTube, ect at the same time.

Typically electronic tickets are added to your digital wallet and do not require any data connection. It's the same way pretty much every venue in the United States operates now, and how they get tens of thousands of people into a single venue. Carnival could do the same thing, but they're just so far behind in adapting to technology. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Typically electronic tickets are added to your digital wallet and do not require any data connection. It's the same way pretty much every venue in the United States operates now, and how they get tens of thousands of people into a single venue. Carnival could do the same thing, but they're just so far behind in adapting to technology. 

Not quite sure how you feel on the topic, maybe you could clarify?🤔   

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not quite sure how you feel on the topic, maybe you could clarify?🤔   

It's frustrating that even high schools have gone away from paper tickets, and most every big venue in the country is ticketless but a company as large as Carnival still operates like it's 2004 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Yup, .like boarding planes….. tech solutions are great when they work.  I cannot count the number of times boarding a plane when something goes amiss with an electronic ticket.  The other consideration is what your clientele will embrace.  If they do not, then it does not work.  Just look at the number of posts of people who hate the hub app.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

It's frustrating that even high schools have gone away from paper tickets, and most every big venue in the country is ticketless but a company as large as Carnival still operates like it's 2004 

High schools are 14 to 18 year old kids that drew up on technology.  He Carnival hub app was way ahead of its time.  I hate RFID bracelets like Disney, Princess and some others use.  If I wanted someone to know where i was every moment of every day, I would tell them. 

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

High schools are 14 to 18 year old kids that drew up on technology.  

I am aware, but my point was something as small as local high schools have adapted. Other venues are the same though, college stadiums, arenas, concert halls, theaters, NFL stadiums, you name it. Most if not all of them are ticketless and cashless which makes things much easier and faster for most people. The whole notion of "technology fails", "not everyone has/does...", "what if ....."... They were great reasons for those who are anti-tech to avoid things years ago but it's late 2024. At some point, people have to learn to adapt, and learn to use the devices they have.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

They were great reasons for those who are anti-tech to avoid things years ago but it's late 2024. At some point, people have to learn to adapt, and learn to use the devices they have.

Carnival's demographic is full of people waaaaay too old to adapt to new tech, and they are not about to annoy them.  Give it twenty years, when the oldest folks on board (um, like me, I guess) will be part of the tech generation.

I go to concerts all the time, but there are few 75-year-olds in attendance with their smartphones & digital wallet.  Well, except on stage - Rolling Stones, etc...

😉

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival's demographic is full of people waaaaay too old to adapt to new tech, and they are not about to annoy them.  Give it twenty years, when the oldest folks on board (um, like me, I guess) will be part of the tech generation.

I go to concerts all the time, but there are few 75-year-olds in attendance with their smartphones & digital wallet.  Well, except on stage - Rolling Stones, etc...

😉

I figured with Norwegian and Royal Caribbean having digital boarding passes, Carnival could adapt since NCL/RCCL tend to have an older crowd than Carnival, but I guess I will just have to wait for them to adapt. I will be there with you in the older crowd in 20 years. 

This whole conversation reminds me of my father in-law, who loves to go to concerts and baseball games. When stadiums and concerts went cashless and ticketless, he hated it at first. Then he realized if he wanted to continue going to them, he'd need to adapt. 

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I was at the movies not to long ago. I got out of the ticketing menu to look something up while we were in line. By the time we got to the front of the line it took awhile for my QR code to load because little did I know my service didn't work so well the further we got in to the building. Me along with several people I travel with have had service slow down in the cruise terminal from time to time. So can't blame it on my service or phone. Can you imagine how backed up the lines would get...

1 minute ago, babygrljaz said:

I was at the movies not to long ago. I got out of the ticketing menu to look something up while we were in line. By the time we got to the front of the line it took awhile for my QR code to load because little did I know my service didn't work so well the further we got in to the building. Me along with several people I travel with have had service slow down in the cruise terminal from time to time. So can't blame it on my service or phone. Can you imagine how backed up the lines would get...

In your scenario with scanning a QR code that just takes you to a website, yeah that would be a nightmare in the cruise terminal because that relies on data service to load the website. When it comes to ticketing, those can be added to your digital wallet, which doesn't require any data so it wouldn't be slow loading. Think about when you go to a sporting event or concert, the people tap their phone or watch and keep walking. Nothing needs to load because it's already in their digital wallet. As I mentioned with RCCL & NCL, it's all on their app and if you think your phone may be slow, you can print the document as a PDF on your phone. That way you can load the PDF and have them scan that, without having to use any data to download the file. OR.... the terminals could just add guest wifi. 

What's the difference if there's an electronic ticket that you have ready on your phone to scan or a printed ticket you have out and ready to scan? The thing that slows down the line is people not being ready with whatever it is they are checking in with. They either don't have it pulled up on their phone or out of their purse/pocket/folder and in their hand. They get to the front of the line like they didn't know what was going to happen and then have to pull it up or dig it out. 

The actual scanning of either an electronic ticket or piece of paper is the same.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

In your scenario with scanning a QR code that just takes you to a website, yeah that would be a nightmare in the cruise terminal because that relies on data service to load the website. When it comes to ticketing, those can be added to your digital wallet, which doesn't require any data so it wouldn't be slow loading. Think about when you go to a sporting event or concert, the people tap their phone or watch and keep walking. Nothing needs to load because it's already in their digital wallet. As I mentioned with RCCL & NCL, it's all on their app and if you think your phone may be slow, you can print the document as a PDF on your phone. That way you can load the PDF and have them scan that, without having to use any data to download the file. OR.... the terminals could just add guest wifi. 

Even digital wallets can take time to load. And no not everything can be loaded to digital wallets. Even full barcodes can be a hassle. Airlines have backups due to passengers phones not bright enough or cracked screens...it can be many different factors. Technology isnt always the best way to go. I'm fine with the paper. It's a keepsake for my Carnival albums

• Like 1

When technology fails - and yes, it does, we are all back to paper. The computers at check-in for one cruise went down and that is exactly what happened.

It is exactly what is happening with the Port of Seattle and Seatac.

https://seatacblog.com/2024/08/28/update-sea-airport-continues-managing-cyberattack-offers-tips-for-labor-day-travelers/

attachment-SeaTac-paper.jpg?w=980&q=75

And a digital wallet doesn't do much with a dead battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When technology fails - and yes, it does, we are all back to paper. The computers at check-in for one cruise went down and that is exactly what happened.

It is exactly what is happening with the Port of Seattle and Seatac.

https://seatacblog.com/2024/08/28/update-sea-airport-continues-managing-cyberattack-offers-tips-for-labor-day-travelers/

And a digital wallet doesn't do much with a dead battery.

Yea dead battery is number 1.

Forgetting to charge it, app with battery suck on too long, missing charging cord, repeated travel delays.... many more reasons why phone may not be charged when you need it.

I personally think it would be great if I could do both. Personally, I'm still generally a 'paper guy' but there are times when a phone scan is preferred. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

I personally think it would be great if I could do both. Personally, I'm still generally a 'paper guy' but there are times when a phone scan is preferred. 

This was my thought as well. Why not introduce digital but allow paper until the majority of customers are comfortable with it. Or never lol just keepp both. 

• Thanks 2