If you are holding on to unused traveler's checks...

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

The only checks we write go to the county or state for things like various property taxes or DMV.  That way the high fees for the 3rd party credit card processors are avoided.  

Does she actually write the checks or use the various government online payment systems?  I prefer to pay the various government agencies online using my checking account information rather than to write a physical check.

I agree on skipping the processing fee on government accounts.  Our local utilities also charge extra for the use of a credit card. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2024 at 5:35 PM, BlueRiband said:

Amex ones never expire and their site outlines the redemption process

They may never expire, but every day they drop a little more in value.  What could be better than giving a 30 year interest free loan to a major corporation like American Express? 

Amex, and other similar vendors, should send a big thank you to everyone holding on to these old traveler's checks. 

12 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Does she actually write the checks or use the various government online payment systems?  I prefer to pay the various government agencies online using my checking account information rather than to write a physical check.

I agree on skipping the processing fee on government accounts.  Our local utilities also charge extra for the use of a credit card. 

She writes a check and puts it in the mail.  Currently, I think this is done for three gov't payments.    We probably should set up the transfer from our checking account as it isn't likely these will ever go away (haha).  

For utilities and some other things we have set up the auto pay from our checking account.  We have to 'release' the funds for payment so it is all calendared.   

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 2:45 AM, CDNPolar said:

it is about the points.

100%.  Drive-thru McD's for breakfast! We didn't travel for three years due to covid and life and now have over a million points! I laugh when they send me an email offering 60k points if I get a new card and spend whatever. No thanks. 

On 9/2/2024 at 11:40 PM, SelectSys said:

They may never expire, but every day they drop a little more in value.  What could be better than giving a 30 year interest free loan to a major corporation like American Express? 

Amex, and other similar vendors, should send a big thank you to everyone holding on to these old traveler's checks. 

I remember Amex's old commercials with Karl Malden.  In one he actually told customers to hold on to unused checks for emergency money! 

While there will be some way to redeem them into the near future, the days were one could walk into a bank with traveler's checks and walk out with cash are coming to an end. 

On 9/4/2024 at 8:37 AM, BlueRiband said:

I remember Amex's old commercials with Karl Malden.  In one he actually told customers to hold on to unused checks for emergency money! 

While there will be some way to redeem them into the near future, the days were one could walk into a bank with traveler's checks and walk out with cash are coming to an end. 

There are more than 40 banks in NYC where one can redeem their Travelers Checks.Not just Manhattan but every other area as well.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:39 AM, lenquixote66 said:

There are more than 40 banks in NYC where one can redeem their Travelers Checks.Not just Manhattan but every other area as well.

I've read that some banks require that they be deposited into your account.

17 hours ago, clo said:

I've read that some banks require that they be deposited into your account.

My local NYS bank will cash a Travelers check or several for anyone who has an account with the bank.They require a photo ID even if they know the person.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My local NYS bank will cash a Travelers check or several for anyone who has an account with the bank.They require a photo ID even if they know the person.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:39 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks for narrowing it down.