Travel Insurance

Hi Folks

Your suggestions please.  I am 78 with some medical issues.  I'm looking for travel insurance that would cover me for several flights a year, as well as 1 or 2 cruises a year.  I know from previous posts not to use the insurance offered by the airline or the cruise line.

What has worked for you?  What do you suggest?

Many thanks for your responses.

Charles

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ChaCr said:

This...for medical.....we use whatever the credit card covers for the other non-essential stuff (lost baggage, interruption etc.).....but for medical....Geo Trekker Essential..annual policy.

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-compare-plans.cfm?TSPD_101_R0=086081c382ab2000bf689f0666e82879eca6f3ddb029044652431c48cf76bed28e2743c20f1c09a90875d0d3b6143000eb8318889a06a7bc0cf74c4d8b975f94e968053d4cb17efe7ac76b18b0acef5488c3adfb19298b33be20b9e3c66f8e56

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

The Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit card will insure your trip for Trip Cancellation & Trip interruption as well as baggage insurance . There are other insurance benefits as well but those are the high lights of that credit card . Then we take the Allianz  Travel Insurance for one year . you typr in Allianz Ytavel insurance 3 words  into search  do not use .com   .Then pick the plan you like . wE use the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card & then added Allainz Travel insurance . We do not need to buy the more expensive Allianz more expensive policy  as the Chase credit card is what is best .We got all our money back from a illness before we could take the cruise

Hi,

I have a couple of health issues as well.   Things that I consider include the financial health of the insurance provider.   I look for an AM Best rating of at least A+ or A++.     Next, although trip cancellation is important, the cost of trip reimbursement is a drop in the bucket if you require medivac.   I always look for a policy that insures at least $500,000, but I usually choose a policy that covers $1 million in medivac services.     I always compare rates and coverages side-by-side on insuremytrip.com.   Never buy insurance from the primary travel provider as a primary rule of thumb. (ie cruise line, airline, tour company).

Best of luck 

Cheers !

Rex

The travel protection offered by HAL is honestly named. HAL calls it Cancellation Protection Plan, and protection against cancellation is just about the extent of it.

We're glad of the protection baked into our Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

5 hours ago, ChaCr said:

Hi Folks

Your suggestions please.  I am 78 with some medical issues.  I'm looking for travel insurance that would cover me for several flights a year, as well as 1 or 2 cruises a year.  I know from previous posts not to use the insurance offered by the airline or the cruise line.

Many thanks for your responses.

Charles

Hello @ChaCr

Thank you for your new threadHowever, your inquiry was off topic where posted. Your new thread has been moved to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum where it will be on topicBrowse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

4 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

or touch base with Steve from the trip insurance store  https://tripinsurancestore.com/ - he will walk you through the options and is extremely knowledgable

We are among the many here on CC who have been pleased with the services of TIS.

We've had several claims, and all have been paid promptly.

Especially because you have some possible complications (medical conditions) and want coverage for several trips and types of trips, it would behoove you to discuss all of this with Steve or someone else at TIS.

IF you rely upon travel insurance offered by any charge cards, please double check any exclusions to see if they apply to you.

GC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 6:01 PM, GeezerCouple said:

We are among the many here on CC who have been pleased with the services of TIS.

We've had several claims, and all have been paid promptly.

Especially because you have some possible complications (medical conditions) and want coverage for several trips and types of trips, it would behoove you to discuss all of this with Steve or someone else at TIS.

IF you rely upon travel insurance offered by any charge cards, please double check any exclusions to see if they apply to you.

GC

I have purchased several policies from Steve and I will never purchase from him again.

While on vacation in Greece, I broke my ankle and my wrist. We called Steve from Greece to get his assistance. When we needed help getting the services covered in our policy, he was too busy. (We needed help with language interpreters and obtaining medical records from the Athens hospital and an extra seat to fly home)

He says he will assist when you need to file a claim. However, he didn't even pick up a phone to see how I was doing or if my husband needed any help. 

I do not recommend Steve or his insurance services.

Buyer Beware!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

I have purchased several policies from Steve and I will never purchase from him again.

While on vacation in Greece, I broke my ankle and my wrist. We called Steve from Greece to get his assistance. When we needed help getting the services covered in our policy, he was too busy. (We needed help with language interpreters and obtaining medical records from the Athens hospital and an extra seat to fly home)

He says he will assist when you need to file a claim. However, he didn't even pick up a phone to see how I was doing or if my husband needed any help. 

Buyer Beware!!!!!

Can't wait to hear "The Rest of the Story".

Picking up the phone afterwards to follow-up and check in? Okay, I can see that. I wouldn't expect it, but would be a nice gesture.

Steve, wouldn't be my first call when I'm in the hospital in Greece. The insurance company would be my first call for the assistance being requested above.

2 minutes ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

Buyer Beware!!!!!

Sorry you had such an unfortunate experience.

However, our experience has been totally different, and with several (too many in our minds, alas!) claims.

And when I landed in hospital overseas, Steve was extremely helpfu, over several days.

What did the travel insurance company say or do when you asked them for translation assistance? Our policies have always included that service, although we haven't needed to use it.  (When I was in hospital overseas, some dear friends we had been planning to visit instead came to the city we were in, so they were able to translate.  Otherwise, we'd have called the travel insurance emergency number!

And it's the travel INSURER who would be getting you the help/services in real time, be it translation, getting new tickets, or being moved, etc.  That should all be spelled out in the Terms & Conditions of the travel insurance policy.  What did your policy say about that?

And WHICH travel insurance company did you use?  That's something we'd like to know, if they aren't providing services during an urgent/emergency situation!

When we wanted help filing our first claim, we called TIS and Steve helped us at several points.  But we didn't wait for him to call us. And in an urgent situation, we don't rely upon leaving a message and just waiting for a call back.

But as I mentioned above, given your very serious situation... are you claiming the travel insurance company did NOT help at all?

Again, I'm very sorry you had such a difficult time!

GC

8 hours ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

Buyer Beware!!!!!

Hi Feeling Sand-tastic,

I don't know who you are by your CruiseCritic ID.

A few minutes ago, I responded to you from a similar comment you made complaining about me in these threads:

And:

You said "we purchased a single trip policy through our TA and it was significantly cheaper than what I found online via the recommended websites." Since you bought your policy from your TA, I don't understand, how I would be involved in your claim. Your TA should be helping you with your claim.

Steve Dasseos

4 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Feeling Sand-tastic,

I don't know who you are by your CruiseCritic ID.

A few minutes ago, I responded to you from a similar comment you made complaining about me in these threads:

And:

You said "we purchased a single trip policy through our TA and it was significantly cheaper than what I found online via the recommended websites." Since you bought your policy from your TA, I don't understand, how I would be involved in your claim. Your TA should be helping you with your claim.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, I responded to someone on the thread who recommended you. 

Here's my response:

Buyer Beware!!!!!