Football!

Ships with Playmakers Sports Bar definitely will show several games simultaneously in that venue. This would include Freedom, Icon, Independence, Mariner, Navigator, Oasis, Odyssey, Symphony, Spectrum, Utopia, and Wonder.  I believe it will be added to Allure with its' next upgrades drydock planned for April '25.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, FlaGrl82 said:

I’m sorry if this has been answered. Are there currently nfl and college football games being shown onboard? I know in the past most bars have shown them. 

Lots of “football” = soccer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Unless it's the only game on, like Monday Night Football, if there is any specific game you want to watch, you can not rely on it being shown, or even available to that ship to be shown. Your best bet is to subscribe to a live TV streamer, like YoutubeTV, or Hulu+Live, and bring a Firestick or Roku.

You may also need a VPN. Note that YTTV will use your device's GPS to override the VPN. I have not played with GPS Spoofers, but Firesticks do not have GPS's in them, and I would be surprised if Rokus aren't the same.

• Like 1

Oh, I should add college football is so much worse than NFL games since there's so many more games, which is why this is a big deal to me. I'm a college football guy, BigTen. Specifically the Iowa Hawkeyes. 

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Rough weekend for you then

Yeah, let's not talk about it. 🤣

Although, I imagine Michigan fans are feeling worse

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Over the last few years, to include today, every NFL game is shown on most RCI ships. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for college football games. The majority of attractive college football games are not shown on ship(s). 

They have never had every NFL football game.

5 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

They have never had every NFL football game.

That has not been my experience. I am on Wonder right now and every 1 PM game and 4 PM game has been shown in Playmakers. This is consistent with what I have experienced over the last three NFL seasons on RCI ships. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That has not been my experience. I am on Wonder right now and every 1 PM game and 4 PM game has been shown in Playmakers. This is consistent with what I have experienced over the last three NFL seasons on RCI ships. 

I agree, based on ships as mention before on ships with Playmakers.  Have you been on ships without that venue in your recent experience, and if so what was your experience with them?

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Ships with Playmakers Sports Bar definitely will show several games simultaneously in that venue. This would include Freedom, Icon, Independence, Mariner, Navigator, Oasis, Odyssey, Symphony, Spectrum, Utopia, and Wonder.  I believe it will be added to Allure with its' next upgrades drydock planned for April '25.

Spectrum doesn't have a playmakers. I was on it last august, so unless it's been added since then, that's a no-go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am absolutely shocked RCI would pay for Sunday ticket. This is very recent. 

I am just off Harmony and they showed Thursday night's game (Chiefs vs Ravens) in the theater on the big screens.  It was also on the TV in the cabin.  And Friday night game of Eagles vs Packers was shown on the big screen in the Aqua Theater and also one of the channels in the cabin.  They also had college games on the TV in the cabins.  There is not a Playmakers on Harmony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

They have had it since at least 2018. 

On one ship maybe.  We have been on many ships with Playmakers. No Sunday Ticket. We were on Anthem 2 years ago in November. No Sunday ticket. 

That's only one example 

A couple of years ago, we were on a 2-night cruise out of Port Canaveral and the first night there was a big Florida State game. Playmakers was packed with folks wearing their FSU gear and the game wasn't being played on any of the screens. Such a bummer! The biggest game wasn't on even with the majority of cruisers being from Florida. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't bet on college football being shown much.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:22 PM, SeeUsCruise said:

A couple of years ago, we were on a 2-night cruise out of Port Canaveral and the first night there was a big Florida State game. Playmakers was packed with folks wearing their FSU gear and the game wasn't being played on any of the screens. Such a bummer! The biggest game wasn't on even with the majority of cruisers being from Florida. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't bet on college football being shown much.

I don’t recall the exact year (maybe 2017), but the availability of a lot of college football games being shown on ships went way down once RCI stopped carrying the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX). I was on Utopia last weekend and the college games they showed in Playmaker’s were not very appealing. 

On 9/8/2024 at 9:11 PM, steveru621 said:

On one ship maybe.  We have been on many ships with Playmakers. No Sunday Ticket. We were on Anthem 2 years ago in November. No Sunday ticket. 

That's only one example 

I should have been more specific since my experience has only been on ships with Playmaker’s departing from Florida ports. Over the last several years or so this has included Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Independence, Odyssey, Wonder and Symphony.