Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

@FeebeeH Half and half is half milk, half cream. Many Americans use it in their coffee:

Half-and-half is simply a blend of equal parts milk and cream. Whereas heavy cream has at least 36 percent fat, half-and-half has between 10 and 18 percent. Half-and-half can be incorporated in recipes, but because of the lower fat content, it cannot be used to makewhipped cream since it won't hold its peaks. It also won't thicken a sauce the way that heavy or whipping cream does.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

I've never heard of half and half and am curious what it is, maybe its something we know by a different name in Australia?

It is a very common product in the U.S.   Half Cream and Half Milk.  You can make yourself just by diluting the cream.    I think it would be nice but a bit richer with all cream. 

It is funny the differences in product around the world.   In the UK they have Double Cream and Clotted  Cream both of which we do not have in the U.S.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

You can make your own buttermilk. Just add a little vinegar to regular milk and let sit a few minutes. 

We may get a bit further off topic.   I'm not sure if any of you make yogurt but I make it all the time.   Just take your milk and bring to a simmer and then turn off -   Just add a Tablespoon of Live Yogurt like Activa.   Leave on counter overnight.   Next morning you have Yogurt.    Now if you like Greek Yogurt like I do -   Just strain in a muslin towel or a Large Coffee filter.  It will slowly drip off the whey until to the thickness you like

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check In was very quick.   Unlike Celebrity they have a different desk for the Vista and Owners Suites, the two top suites on the  ship.   They also have a check in desk for the Penthouse Suites, which are similar to a SkySuite

General boarding is done in a larger area.

• Like 2

Walking aboard for the first time was a real treat.   It is funny that in Vancouver where you would climb a gangway to the ship, Oceania smaller ships you walk down the Gangway to the ship.

The ship is beautifully decorated with a light Blue and Silver pallet.

Also similar to Celebrity, Oceania now does a Virtual Safety drill via the website and TV.  The head butler met us at the security check and took us to our safety muster station on the way to our room.  

IMG_5444.thumb.jpeg.d4f6f8b5400fe707e251759a843a59e1.jpeg

IMG_5447.thumb.jpeg.3584c9c76478ce1d3d8bc41764eb88f1.jpeg

IMG_5450.thumb.jpeg.7bfbd4259c1492be14b544d411c101bb.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9

IMG_5462.thumb.jpeg.f1f6ab6f0a32e947176d2d49444443f8.jpeg

I have to say the Vista Suite is a delight to enter.   Very open and inviting with furniture that is both practical and attractive.    The designer Celebrity selected to revolutionize their ships was a disaster who used design over function.    I doubt she has ever even been on a ship.

IMG_5457.thumb.jpeg.5a73a47f841ce2ff2077ee31a772e3d7.jpeg

IMG_5460.thumb.jpeg.7bf006590c95d322517646a8aeaf7f8d.jpeg

The had a nice Canape Tray setup as well as a beautiful Fruit Basket, something that has pretty much disappeared from Celebrity unless you request it.

Like Celebrity they also had a bottle of Bubbly chilling.  We are not bubbly drinkers so not sure how good it is. 

IMG_5458.thumb.jpeg.adc85cc208020c6c7f05dbb64979ec75.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Since we did not get settled in until 2:30 the MDR was closed and we were invited to visit the Lunch Buffet before it closed at 4:00 PM.  

The buffet is well laid out.   I had the hamburger which they cook to order and must say it was every bit as good or better than the Luminae Burger.

IMG_5476.thumb.jpeg.8514589c4346fc0dbde5ed45d0058c51.jpeg

IMG_5477.thumb.jpeg.b5d9c0de57ec12111c6bd75726401f2e.jpeg

One big different which I appreciate is that the buffet is virtually 100% served as oppose to serving ones self.   The staff are incredibly warm and welcoming.     Once you sit down a server comes over to take drink orders and pour water.

IMG_5482.thumb.jpeg.f427146ed0cb9f6f17882564876f3222.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 17

Pomeroy champagne is excellent!  I’ve saved your chicken recipe but will make it without the mushrooms (violently allergic). The creamed spinach will be a staple for fall/winter meals. I’ve been looking for a good creamed spinach recipe that didn’t take all day

your suite looks perfectly lovely with comfortable furniture

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is funny the differences in product around the world.   In the UK they have Double Cream and Clotted  Cream both of which we do not have in the U.S.

A scone with strawberry jam that isn't also treated to clotted cream is a travesty!  While not to be found in the dairy department of the local Albertson's, we do have access to a version of clotted cream here in the U.S.  Of course, it's pasteurized after production, and it's in a jar and imported from Devon!  You can get it at Whole Foods here in the U.S., among other sources.

The problem here in the U.S. is that proper clotted cream starts from an unpasteurized product, and that doesn't fly here per FDA regulations.  There are some states that allow the sale of raw milk, and there, it's possible to make your own.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your experience! We fell in love with Oceania. Even better than that burger in Terrace cafe... try one of the burgers in Waves grill. I loved the Texan one. It was so juicy! I've sailed on Riviera and Vista. Both of those have wonderful pizza in the evenings at Waves Grill. Not sure if they have that pizza oven and menus on Reggata... but worth checking out. My favorite was a pizza with prosciutto, arugula and burrata cheese! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say the Vista Suite is a delight to enter.   Very open and inviting with furniture that is both practical and attractive.    The designer Celebrity selected to revolutionize their ships was a disaster who used design over function.    I doubt she has ever even been on a ship.

Wow! What a beautiful room with a nice layout and comfortable looking furniture. Celebrity upper suites, while large, always have a lot of dead space regardless of the decorator. Oceania's room layout looks well thought out.

• Like 4

Jim,

So glad you made it with time to spare. I was nervous for you.

I have been invited to the Vista and Owner`s suites when we had friends sailing with us. Both are beautiful. Getting very excited to board the Regatta in the 26 ! Happy girl when my floor floats. Thanks for taking time out of your vacation so we all can enjoy. Cheers, Heather

• Like 1