Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

Thank you for this great running review.  Too late for you but Butchart Gardens also has a very nice tea in view of the gardens especially if you can sit outside weather permitting.  Also on the waterfront, small shack Redfish, Bluefish has amazing fish and chips. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We love good Asian food

You may be disappointed with Red Ginger, then. Both meals we've had there (Marina & Vista) have been very underwhelming. So much so that we've decided we probably won't make a reservation for it when we're on Vista next year. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Thank you for this great running review.  Too late for you but Butchart Gardens also has a very nice tea in view of the gardens especially if you can sit outside weather permitting.  Also on the waterfront, small shack Redfish, Bluefish has amazing fish and chips. 

Yes. My brother lives in Victoria. He always recommends and takes his guests to tea at Butchart Gardens. It is lovely. (Another option for anyone visiting the city). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Our cruise last month ended in Montreal, and we took the train back to Quebec City for 3 more nights there. It was like being in France without having to fly for 10 hours. We are thinking about going back next August to escape the 100+ temperatures in Texas.

Quebec City has an amazing winter carnival too. First one was 130 years ago! Montreal has a nice Jazz festival in late June and then it an easy journey to Quebec City. 

Edited by billc23
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Please!!!  I beg of you --- please stop telling people how good the Terrace is.

Please. It's the only place I eat on O, and now you're spoiling it for me by telling all these people.

STOP IT.

NOW!!

Please???

My thought exactly!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woofa said:

We ate at RF-BF yesterday.  Excellent fish.  Be advised this is an outside venue with limited seating.  There are some stand-up eating areas.  You order at the window and pick up your food when called.  Water and sodas only.  One piece of fish was plenty for each of us.

Edited by cluso
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our cruise last month ended in Montreal, and we took the train back to Quebec City for 3 more nights there. It was like being in France without having to fly for 10 hours. We are thinking about going back next August to escape the 100+ temperatures in Texas.

If you want to escape the February heat try the Quebec Winter Carnival. We did it in 2019 for a long weekend.  The rowboat races across to ice floes in the St. Lawrence are something to see.  And of course the drink Caribou while out in the cold.  And whenever you're ready to come in there is that great french food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, flviking said:

If you want to escape the February heat try the Quebec Winter Carnival. We did it in 2019 for a long weekend.  The rowboat races across to ice floes in the St. Lawrence are something to see.  And of course the drink Caribou while out in the cold.  And whenever you're ready to come in there is that great french food.

We do not do snow and ice either. 

• Haha 2

Last night we ate at Toscana. I wish it wasn't our last time in that venue because I would repeat my meal for sure.

I LOVED the carbonara as an appetizer portion, fillet mignon with gorgonzola for the main, and berry tiramisu for dessert.

PXL_20240923_025858585.thumb.jpg.43929cb2c267e56b2e2702a42215738e.jpg

PXL_20240923_030558943.thumb.jpg.39fd96cbe74cb9e690251f0ae82fc996.jpg

PXL_20240923_032749958.thumb.jpg.bf7f02ed49c17b9dbf09bdf2e7c9d811.jpg

• Like 10

On 9/21/2024 at 4:14 AM, FetaCheese said:

TC tonight.  Grilled lamb chops, and grilled lobster tails, (asked for 1).  Waiter brought it to my table.  Perfectly prepared to my preference. Would be a $100 dinner in Philly.

All meals have been of outstanding quality, flavor and seasoning.  Have been having all dinners in TC, such an array of variety, along with excellent wait staff service.  Montaudon Champagne and wines flowing, no issues with refills!IMG_20240920_193930788.thumb.jpg.0bd169947fce9b24f9c3e54f7932ea24.jpg

that looks amazing. I'm so looking forward to boarding Regatta next month. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2024 at 10:50 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting find- for some of us how can’t consume alcohol.  Oceania carries a full line of non-alcoholic cordials used in mixed mock tails.  

I tried the amaretto and was quite nice.   I once tried a non-alcoholic Gin on celebrity once and almost spewed it across the room. 

IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.1fe9e1f7e87ca3259c6c694e2b43b18b.jpeg

IMG_6039.thumb.jpeg.ee64d3b5103c8673d7088ab6116f3674.jpeg

IMG_6037.thumb.jpeg.02e40a1cdcf497459ecd190e57728c39.jpeg

IMG_6036.thumb.jpeg.592e1db738e10359320d1abbf42bd3c6.jpeg

IMG_6035.thumb.jpeg.37445abe0fb83dae35ea2cec6fe5ca5b.jpeg

I'm a big fan of Lyres. Their alcohol free sparkling wine is good too. I won a year's supply of Lyres, still working my way through it! The Italian orange makes a great Aperol spritz.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We have yet to visit Quebec or Montreal. Definitely still on the bucket list. Have gone back and forth whether it would be better to visit both as a land trip vs cruise to enjoy more time in both. 

Land trip for sure. So much to see and do during the day, and great food and entertainment at night.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Land trip for sure. So much to see and do during the day, and great food and entertainment at night.

Montreal is sophisticated and vibrant...when you find the right places....Old Quebec is quite 'French', charming, and continental.  We really like the cafes and small bistros or dining rooms which have drop down windows opening to the street, with a violinist entertaining, and waaaay too much wine....great memories. 🙃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Montreal is sophisticated and vibrant...when you find the right places....Old Quebec is quite 'French', charming, and continental.  We really like the cafes and small bistros or dining rooms which have drop down windows opening to the street, with a violinist entertaining, and waaaay too much wine....great memories. 🙃

My honeymoon was in Montreal and Quebec City - 44 years ago - and we have returned many, many times. Easy enough drive from where we live of about 5 hours with no traffic. Beautiful scenery -  particularly this time of year.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, terrydtx said:

Do they have live lobsters anywhere on the ship?  My sister did a Viking Ocean cruise 2 years ago and they had live lobsters on the ship in cold storage.

No live lobster at all.   It is all either cryovac or frozen --- not sure.   I asked in Toscana.    ossibly others that have sailed on the larger ships can weigh in on whether they have live lobsters since they probably have larger storage areas.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2024 at 10:04 AM, terrydtx said:

That is good to know, we are not fans of cruise ship buffets and rarely dine there for dinners. Lunch or breakfasts are OK. Just do not like walking around with a tray looking for an open and cleaned off table. Celebrity has one of the worst cruise ship buffets IMO, food quality is poor more like a Golden Corral, which we never eat at.   

It's a totally different experience.    No crowds.   The staff clean tables quickly if none that have been setup are available.    You do select your food and bring it to your table but beyond that the staff pour water (sparkling or still),  juices, beer and wine.   

I noticed they have all of the beers that are included out on display 

IMG_6241.thumb.jpeg.f53ec2b335b2e1a532ca61dc8e5b684b.jpeg

IMG_6240.thumb.jpeg.32bfb4e3370691fec6fcdb3c4d7f6d65.jpeg

also all soft drinks in cans are included all the time. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2024 at 12:31 PM, Salt Lifer said:

Jim, I have followed your LIVEs on the Celebrity board for years (usually in lurker mode) and always enjoy them.  Oceania has been on my radar for awhile, so I have been especially enjoying following along on your journey.  I am impressed by what I am seeing.  Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

We will definitely sail wit Oceania in the future.  

• Like 8

22 hours ago, bbqoug said:

Awesome photos Jim.

We will have to visit Victoria again to see more of the sights.

How was the Tea at the Empress? The food provided looks really good.

We really enjoyed it.   Our server was really a treat and insisted that instead of black tea which Iain drinks that I should have something more exciting.    He brought me a pot and made "Blue Suede Shoes".    The Blue Suede Shoes Green Tea blend opens with a smooth sweetness and finishes with mild noisette notes. Made with green tea, grown in the Hunan Province of China

It's actual Blue ---

image.png.0f1f79801c5a0aa73773b6d0a6fb1dca.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cluso said:

Ian's expression is great--looking at all the pastry options.  And Jim, you look like you are enjoying your tea and chilling out.

I did.... but definitely not a tea drinker.    When we usually go to tea in London I usually order coffee... they don't even raise and eyebrow. 

Iain loves ----STRONG black tea.    Usually 4-5 bags to a pot.   It's as dark as coffee. 

21 hours ago, juanrod said:

Loved high tea at empresses,DH wanted to know if you dropped all our phones all over the floor like he did

LOL---- nope.    I have mine mounted on a selfie stick with a remote shutter button.    Easy to hold onto.