Cunard Staffing Levels/Crew Standards

Log Flumer

25 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I was disappointed in the service I experienced in Britannia on QM2 in June. It was very slow if cheerful. I have to say that my stateroom steward was excellent and our stateroom was always immaculate. Bar waiters were good everywhere. I had a great time on the QA maiden even if there were the inevitable hiccups in service you expect on a maiden. And sure, I wish the menus would get a refresh because they are a bit tired.

Would it put me off booking again? Absolutely not. I have 3 Cunard trips coming up and I'm very much looking forward to them. Just 24 days until I'm on QV but who's counting?

Refreshing the menu is a tricky one. I remember some years ago when they made major changes to the QG alc, both its format and some contents. Throughout the cruise people were moaning that it no longer featured Scampi Provençale, strange indeed when you can order whatever you want anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log Flumer said:

I hope that, on the whole, the experience has nevertheless been positive? Would you journey with Cunard again?

No, we would not travel with Cunard again. We have met many fellow passengers of various nationalities who have said the same. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Log Flumer said:

... in 2019 the Cunard website showed the following information in relation to QM2: 2,691 Guests, 1,292 Crew, but the website now shows 2,691 Guests, 1,173 Crew: a reduction of 119 crew members. ...

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.59.13.png

I can comment on the recent passenger and crew counts which QM2 has reported to Southampton VTS upon departure from Southampton.

May 16, 2024: 2419 passengers and 1245 crew

May 30, 2024: 2591 passengers and 1252 crew

June 9, 2024: 2442 passengers and 1249 crew

July 14, 2024: 2622 passengers and 1246 crew

July 21, 2024: 2508 passengers and 1251 crew

August 16, 2024: 2445 passengers and 1242 crew

August 30, 2024: 2449 passengers and 1220 crew
September 11, 2024: 2554 passengers and 1253 crew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

No, we would not travel with Cunard again. We have met many fellow passengers of various nationalities who have said the same. 

I too met folk who will NOT be choosing QA again.

We also met Cunard first timers who loved the ship.

Hope they won't be disappointed if they travel with Annie's sisters! 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Log Flumer said:

(and my guess would be that such a reduction in staff would result in savings of perhaps $2m a year on just the QM2 alone),

Perhaps; but it's a bit of an assumption. That would need less staff doing more work for the same money. The recent post from bluemarble suggests that staffing levels aren't as low as stated on website. The levels may be affected by difficulties in recruitment rather than a deliberate choice to use less staff.

24 years ago in another industry faced with staff shortages we had 2,000 staff carrying out a particular job. That was 350 less than was required. It wasn't possible for a staff member to cover another's work at same time.

Over the course of a month a deal was negotiated that meant most staff would voluntarily work longer hours. As they were paid hourly that meant they got paid more, and at same time a small productivity increase was paid based on saving the fixed costs of 350 staff.

The result was that wage costs didn't change but there were sufficient staff to provide a full service. A staff reduction of close to 15% didn't save any money but made a huge improvement to customer experience. 

• Thanks 1

I have just returned from round the UK on Queen Mary 2. I thought the service was better than ever in all areas with one exception. For information my first Cunard crossing was in 2002.

Even in a full bar I never waited for service. I never waited for a table in the Britannia for breakfast and lunch. I was always served promptly too and never waited long for food or an extra cup of tea. Afternoon tea in the Queens room was served quickly and in order at all my tables. Our cabin was generally services when we were at Breakfast.  Room service took only quarter of an hour. 

In the past I have found the service on Cunard to be patchy. Sometimes very good but (if you fall between two waiters or are out of line of sight) it can be difficult.p sometimes. 

On this trip everything seemed better organised to make it a more consistent service. Crew seemed to know what they were doing and where they were covering. I think the bar service is improved by the new technology. As soon as you order drinks they are on their way. Not after another five tables have been visited and your steward returns to the bar. Also on the whole our card was scanned for payment without needing to sign. That must save time too.  

My one exception was dinner in the Britannia restaurant. I have cruised on some really poor quality (but usually cheap) cruise lines but that was my worst ever dining experience. I tried to not let it ruin an otherwise good cruise but it was awful. Speaking to management in the restaurant seemed to do very little. 

Perhaps a short cruise next and book the Verandah for every evenning. 

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Log Flumer What cabin grade are you sailing in?
Please bear in mind that there are a few big picture Human Resources issues affecting all cruise lines: finding staffing with all the mega ships that have recently been launched, getting crew post-Covid, and as mentioned above for Cunard’s case, moving staff to the new Queen Anne from other Cunard vessels (I even read using P&O staff too?). I believe that was a short term service blip that seems to have stabilized some. 
On a personal level, we first sailed on Cunard first in 2008 (TA) and overall don’t see too much difference in service except for longer waits for drinks in the Queens Room and Corinthia. The last two voyages were in QM2 PG and QE QG and, except for a few minor issues, loved it. For the record, my favorite ship is still QM2. 

Bottom line -  Cunard provides very good value for your money. I believe it’s a wee better than a Sheraton…

Edited by NE John
Took out unnecessary comments.
  • Thanks 1

I offer two datapoints: one from ten years ago and one this summer. Both QM crossings.

It is pretty clear to me that Brittania waitstaff to guest ratios at dinner are far too low. Our servers were pleasant, attentive, and helpful, but were running everywhere, with sweat on their brow. In contrast, waiters are standing over each other and conversing together at lunchtime. So there is a fixable problem there, which I shared on my survey.

In the bar areas, it takes longer to get drinks and the crew are more swamped. In my crossing ten years ago, by Day 3, the server in Commodore brought me my drink as I sat down without asking. Now, they barely remembered me despite walking in at the same time nearly every evening.

Our cabin was spotless the entire trip and was cleaned almost immediately after we vacated in the morning and as we left for dinner.  Cups/glasses took longer to clear on the deck and in public areas.

Most, if not all, of the musical ensembles had fewer performers.

The quality is still high, but not what it once was. I chalk this up to 1) post Carnival acquisition and 2) post COVID belt tightening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never understood the many who say that after 2-3 days the staff knew my drink and served me as I sat down giving the impression of good service. That to me is not good service because even though I might go the same bar regularly during the cruise what I drink varies nearly every night. So I am afraid that would be to me poor service and would be refused.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Log Flumer said:

I have recently booked my first ever 'cruise' (crossing), on QM2 next summer. I'm looking forward to it and have carried out plenty of research both prior to and subsequent to my booking. I've noticed quite a few comments (including in this forum) about some staffing issues, including - but not limited to - decreased standards/competence among waiting staff in the main dining room (being served the wrong meal, food being tepid, lower quality ingredients, unhelpful attitude etc.), and staff appearing overworked/unmotivated (standing around talking at the bar and not being responsive to guest needs etc.). I wondered what could explain this apparent deterioration and noticed that in 2019 the Cunard website showed the following information in relation to QM2: 2,691 Guests, 1,292 Crew, but the website now shows 2,691 Guests, 1,173 Crew: a reduction of 119 crew members. Obviously there was some serious cost-cutting post-pandemic (and my guess would be that such a reduction in staff would result in savings of perhaps $2m a year on just the QM2 alone), but is it ultimately to the detriment of both passengers (who understandably expect high standards, especially if they have travelled with Cunard pre-pandemic) and even more so to crew members (who may face longer-shifts and more demanding working conditions with responsibility for an increased number of passengers)? Has anyone noticed a clear deterioration in service standards, whether in terms of the dining experience, quality of food, stateroom maintenance etc? Has this affected Britannia more than the Grills? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and observations!

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.59.13.png

The world is rapidly changing.Even in Europe where service was a sought after life time position. When all of the world  shut down for Covid. the service industry lost thousands of excellent employees. The quest to replace them with equallydedicated knowlegable folk has not gone well be it on the sea or on land. So one must accept what one gets, it is not the cruise line fault that education and desire has provided the world witha lower quality replacement staff.

8 hours ago, Gallivant70 said:

I offer two datapoints: one from ten years ago and one this summer. Both QM crossings.

It is pretty clear to me that Brittania waitstaff to guest ratios at dinner are far too low. Our servers were pleasant, attentive, and helpful, but were running everywhere, with sweat on their brow. In contrast, waiters are standing over each other and conversing together at lunchtime. So there is a fixable problem there, which I shared on my survey.

In the bar areas, it takes longer to get drinks and the crew are more swamped. In my crossing ten years ago, by Day 3, the server in Commodore brought me my drink as I sat down without asking. Now, they barely remembered me despite walking in at the same time nearly every evening.

Our cabin was spotless the entire trip and was cleaned almost immediately after we vacated in the morning and as we left for dinner.  Cups/glasses took longer to clear on the deck and in public areas.

Most, if not all, of the musical ensembles had fewer performers.

The quality is still high, but not what it once was. I chalk this up to 1) post Carnival acquisition and 2) post COVID belt tightening.

If you are comparing 2014 and 2024, it is hard to see that any differences can be down to being bought by Carnival which happened before QM2 was commissioned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Cunard is far superior to a Sheraton. If I felt that Cunard compared to a Sheraton, I would want to see the lower tier pricing of NCL, Carnival, RCI, and MSC.

Good grief.

Not totally fair on the Sheraton brand.

Like Cunard's various restaurants, there are different hotels. We've stayed in Sheratons, had butlers, huge suites, concierge lounges and service  and fabulous food.

Must compare like with like.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I have never understood the many who say that after 2-3 days the staff knew my drink and served me as I sat down giving the impression of good service. That to me is not good service because even though I might go the same bar regularly during the cruise what I drink varies nearly every night. So I am afraid that would be to me poor service and would be refused.

They do learn this too. Husband always has a beer of some sort and I have a different drink every night. So when we come in at our usual time they know it’s a beer for him and the drinks menu for me and maybe a suggestion depending on what I’ve enjoyed so far. Very personalised to your habits. Or at least that’s how it used to happen. I couldn't say if it still does but I suspect not now that the bar waiters seem to cover more tables and don’t have as much time to talk to you as they used to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Not poor service at all,  just staff wanting to please which for me would be very pleasing.

A refusal with a smile so as not to upset any willing staff and 'no thanks' , would be the answer and staff would get the message.

20 hours ago, carlmm said:

A few observations from the QV:

- I seldomiy ate anything in the buffet, but for what it is worth, not once I got coffee or any other drink service.

- In Britannia for sure there is less choice and less quality items are served eg. no more lobster, no scallops, no venison main for dinner.

- No guest artists for classical music performances

Just want to jump in on these points as my trip in the first two weeks of August doesn't match this, so perhaps you were just unlucky. 

In the Lido for breakfast the sommeliers from Britannia were all going round with tea and coffee in flasks topping people up. I saw them also fetching barista coffees for some people, but it looked a rare event. 

While there were no lobster mains on our trip, we certainly had scallops and venison. While the menus were formulaic and somewhat predictable (i.e. one breaded deep fried fritter, one pate/terrine, one cured fish and one vegetarian appetiser every night), I was really impressed by the quality given what I know has happened to food cost. Also the quality at the lido was excellent. 

We definitely had a guest classical pianist, and maybe more than that. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 6:42 AM, Log Flumer said:

who may face longer-shifts

I'll just throw this out.  The maximum hours per day, and per week that a crew member can work is mandated by international convention to 14 hours/day of work or 91 hours/week (so actually limited to 13 hours, average, per day due to the week limitation).  Hours of the day that are not allowable work hours are considered "mandated rest periods".  Crew who are required to work during their mandated rest periods, must be given a "compensatory" rest period the next day.  So if a crew member works 15 hours one day, they must be given 1 or 2 hours extra time off the next day.

This is all tracked and recorded for each crew member, and these records are reviewed by port state officials, like the USCG, UK MCA, or Dutch Maritime Authority, when they inspect the ships in their ports, and non-compliance (working crew too much) can result in fines or detention of the ship.  About 6 years ago, Brazil (not noted for their worker safety culture) detained a cruise ship for a couple days while investigating these work/rest hour violations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll just throw this out.  The maximum hours per day, and per week that a crew member can work is mandated by international convention to 14 hours/day of work or 91 hours/week (so actually limited to 13 hours, average, per day due to the week limitation).  Hours of the day that are not allowable work hours are considered "mandated rest periods".  Crew who are required to work during their mandated rest periods, must be given a "compensatory" rest period the next day.  So if a crew member works 15 hours one day, they must be given 1 or 2 hours extra time off the next day.

This is all tracked and recorded for each crew member, and these records are reviewed by port state officials, like the USCG, UK MCA, or Dutch Maritime Authority, when they inspect the ships in their ports, and non-compliance (working crew too much) can result in fines or detention of the ship.  About 6 years ago, Brazil (not noted for their worker safety culture) detained a cruise ship for a couple days while investigating these work/rest hour violations.

Spot on. 

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Not totally fair on the Sheraton brand.

Like Cunard's various restaurants, there are different hotels. We've stayed in Sheratons, had butlers, huge suites, concierge lounges and service  and fabulous food.

Must compare like with like.

Love that you’ve had a great experience with Sheraton!  Alas, all mine have been less than.

I think that the point on reduction of a ship's crew can be for many reasons and may not necessarily be with "front facing crew".

New working practices may be brought in, new equipment that require less staff, a reduction in the number of maintenance saff are just some of the reasons that come to mind.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I have just returned from round the UK on Queen Mary 2. I thought the service was better than ever in all areas with one exception. For information my first Cunard crossing was in 2002.

Even in a full bar I never waited for service. I never waited for a table in the Britannia for breakfast and lunch. I was always served promptly too and never waited long for food or an extra cup of tea. Afternoon tea in the Queens room was served quickly and in order at all my tables. Our cabin was generally services when we were at Breakfast.  Room service took only quarter of an hour. 

In the past I have found the service on Cunard to be patchy. Sometimes very good but (if you fall between two waiters or are out of line of sight) it can be difficult.p sometimes. 

On this trip everything seemed better organised to make it a more consistent service. Crew seemed to know what they were doing and where they were covering. I think the bar service is improved by the new technology. As soon as you order drinks they are on their way. Not after another five tables have been visited and your steward returns to the bar. Also on the whole our card was scanned for payment without needing to sign. That must save time too.  

My one exception was dinner in the Britannia restaurant. I have cruised on some really poor quality (but usually cheap) cruise lines but that was my worst ever dining experience. I tried to not let it ruin an otherwise good cruise but it was awful. Speaking to management in the restaurant seemed to do very little. 

Perhaps a short cruise next and book the Verandah for every evenning. 

May I ask what was wrong with your experience of dining at dinner in the MDR? And were you open dining, early or late sitting? With thanks

• Like 1

As far as reasoning behind business plans & the cause of cutbacks onboard - after covid Cunard / Carnivore Corp could of restarted the QM2 and queen Victoria at full staffing levels w a good quality experience all around.  The Queen Anne would be launched w a full staff and  quality onboard experience.  And finally Queen Elizabeth restart when capital & cash on hand would ensure the same quality.

But instead  the corporate decision was made  to make cutbacks all around  & deliver a less than promoted levels of food & service( including onboard maintenance).

remember these corporations are held to stock holders expectations / demand of higher earnings.

I always say look at the balance sheet & bonuses of these corporations & that is what tells the true story of a Corporation.

One recent example is the BOEING CORPORATION.  It just hired a new CEO at $30,000,000 a year while the union workers haven't had a raise since 2014!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NowVoyager2 said:

As far as reasoning behind business plans & the cause of cutbacks onboard - after covid Cunard / Carnivore Corp could of restarted the QM2 and queen Victoria at full staffing levels w a good quality experience all around.  The Queen Anne would be launched w a full staff and  quality onboard experience.  And finally Queen Elizabeth restart when capital & cash on hand would ensure the same quality.

But instead  the corporate decision was made  to make cutbacks all around  & deliver a less than promoted levels of food & service( including onboard maintenance).

remember these corporations are held to stock holders expectations / demand of higher earnings.

I always say look at the balance sheet & bonuses of these corporations & that is what tells the true story of a Corporation.

One recent example is the BOEING CORPORATION.  It just hired a new CEO at $30,000,000 a year while the union workers haven't had a raise since 2014!!!

1 minute ago, NowVoyager2 said:

As has been frequently mentioned there was not enough crew available. Many had left the industry for good as like

many in other businesses when they shut down. It takes a long time for a crew member to become

compliant before they can set foot onboard.

you can’t just magic up crew across all grades. It just doesn’t work like that and rather naive to think otherwise. The balance sheet needs to be healthy to pay down the enormous debt that accrued and hats off to Carnival for the inroads they are making in reducing it.

• Like 1