Which itinerary would you prefer…

…and why?

I’m starting to research a trip to Australia and New Zealand for 2026, thinking of doing a land trip in Australia then a NZ cruise. I’m mostly interested in scenery, natural beauty.  I usually cruise with Princess and saw these two itineraries:

January 18, 2026-

Sidney

Tauranga

Auckland

Picton

Christchurch

Dunedin

Fiordland scenic cruising

Sidney

OR

February 14, 2026-

Sidney

Bay of Islands

Tauranga

Auckland

Wellington

Christchurch

Dunedin

Fiordland scenic cruising

Sidney

Thank-you.

Of those two cruises, I would chose the second one.

Although Picton is lovely, the Bay of Islands and Wellington IMHO would give you a better NZ cruise experience.

Regards

John

• Like 3

I'll second that AT. We're cruising out of Brisbane in February 2026 and the second itinerary reflects ours with the exception we don't go to the Bay of Islands (unfortunately).

An extra port on the 2nd one, so I would go with that too. Heaps of variety of things to do in Wellington. FYI, our cruise capital is spelled Sydney.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Both are good options. Depends whether you want to go to Bay of Islands or Picton. Wellington not really a deciding factor for me. Can be a dreary windy place at times. 

🤣 it can be, I lived there for nearly 5 years, they do call it windy Wellington.

BUT, it is great most of the time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Definitely the second one. Not only for the ports but January is still school holiday time so some places could be very busy.

I agree, as well as children will have gone back to school so there will be less of them aboard.

Also agree, the second one, outside the school holidays, unless you like hoards of children on the cruise.

However, if you are a wine drinker, the first one goes to Picton, and you can do a great shore excursion to the Marlborough wine region.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

An extra port on the 2nd one, so I would go with that too. Heaps of variety of things to do in Wellington. FYI, our cruise capital is spelled Sydney.

Thanks for the heads-up on Sydney. I tried to edit but it won’t let me now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Both are good options. Depends whether you want to go to Bay of Islands or Picton. Wellington not really a deciding factor for me. Can be a dreary windy place at times. 

Which would be considered more scenic, Bay of Islands or Picton? I don’t drink so wineries not of interest to me.

1 hour ago, sboh said:

Which would be considered more scenic, Bay of Islands or Picton? I don’t drink so wineries not of interest to me.

Bay of Islands definitely, google pictures of it and what you can do there, it's a very picturesque, historic and delightful place. Tauranga too, or more correctly Mount Maunganui where the ship docks, is a lovely beachside township, with a beautiful sandy beach and stunning views from the top of the Mount, there's a walkable track to the top for anyone of average fitness. The Bay of Islands and Mt Maunganui are two of my favourite places 😊

• Like 1