A laundry question

jennjess

You can send laundry anytime, up until about 48 hours before disembarkation.  I usually get mine ready in the morning and leave it for my cabin steward to take when he comes in for the morning service so as not to give him/her any extra work.  I almost always get it back by the next morning. 

• Like 1

You can send as many bags as you want, but it will come to about $35 per. You can stuff a lot in but depending on the length of the cruise you might need 5 or 6 (as my wife and I did on a 14 day.) The unlimited package for us came to ~140 for the two weeks and was worth it. If it's only two bags on a 7 to 10 day I'd think the by the bag rate comes out better. Do some cost comparison. BTW, the unlimited package does not include dry cleaning, but it does include pressing. 

On the whole HAL's laundry service is great. Everything, even T shirts, comes back pressed and if you have the bag picked up in the morning (before 9) it comes back the next day.

I see a lot of people type faster than me. Hope it isn't repetetive.

32 minutes ago, jennjess said:

Thanks for the info, I might get away with 2 bags on a 10 day cruise.

For $35 you can stuff the bag - and as mentioned, it does hold a lot.  But if you don't need to send a whole bag, the prices are itemized on the laundry slip, so if you just have a few things to send, you can see if it comes out cheaper just to itemize them. 

2 hours ago, jennjess said:

Thanks for the replies.  So you can send a bag at any time for $35 or is that a one off special rate?

You can send as many bags as you wish - the rate is the same for each bag. $35 per bag is the highest I’ve seen but it may be slightly less expensive on some cruises. 

49 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

Plus you get a cruise reminder of your cruise when you see the room number tag on your shirt that you haven't worn since getting back home. 

I was still finding those tags months afterwards , even after several washes back home! We found it a very efficient & economical service.

• Like 1

I usually buy the Unlimited Laundry package before hand.  I ask my cabin steward for an additional bag (and form) when I meet them upon embarkation.  My first bit of laundry is from my pre-cruise stay.  Then I send out the next bag when I get my clean clothes back and repeat the process throughout the cruise.

The laundry service allows me to pack fewer outfits.  I'm only packing 4-5 outfits (plus 1 dressy) for my upcoming 15-day cruise.  Plus I come home with less laundry to do when I get home.

I also keep the cards that sometimes come back with the clean laundry.  It helps me to include the laundry staff by name on the post-cruise survey.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Just remember ship dryers are very hot.

I write cold wash, cool dry on my laundry slip and have never had a problem with shrinkage.

4 hours ago, Euby said:

The laundry service allows me to pack fewer outfits.  I'm only packing 4-5 outfits (plus 1 dressy) for my upcoming 15-day cruise.  Plus I come home with less laundry to do when I get home.

I do the same thing and only travel with a carry on.

I find the laundry service is extraordinary.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Just remember ship dryers are very hot.

That's true, probably, but I have stopped writing instructions on my laundry slips.  I used to worry that I had to tell them "dry with low heat", or "no dryer please," or  "cold water wash," etc etc. and I would obsess about it LOL, but slowly I realized, these are professional launderers and they are BETTER at it than I am!! I have never had any damage to any article of clothing whatsoever, and have long since stopped trying to tell them what to do. They know how to treat each type of fabric, and I've learned to trust them.  That said, I'm sure there are mishaps now and then - just haven't experienced any first hand and I'm a few days away from five star Mariner and I travel light - meaning sending laundry every second day.  I absolutely love the laundry service on HAL!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have never seen a laundry by the bag special price on HAL.  Has anyone else?  It's always been the posted price only.

Thanks,

~Nancy

It was on a flyer that was left in our stateroom one night.  Also had the posted price that you saw hanging on the hanger.

• Thanks 1