Arcadia - gastro outbreak

Megabear2

On 10/6/2024 at 11:37 AM, kalos said:

It's all over the place,our Granddaughter flew back from Spain and phoned to say they

have come down with it ,yet her Mum and brother have not.

Our Heating engineer was coming for our boiler service but his lad came home from

school feeling yuk and now over the weekend the full household is down with the bug.

That's why I get fed up with people saying it's unhygienic people on cruises.  It happens everywhere and it is also airborne, so not just handwashing.

On 9/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, S1971 said:

If you know how too fix it, I wouldn't mind betting you'd be rich.

I think the way to prevent all the outbreaks of these types of infection outbreaks is to completely change how people behave in the public areas of the ship and especially where food is consumed.

This is the problem.

Regards John

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

But they get in hospitals?   And they are totally OTT about hygiene.

I should think many people I know go into the toilets in hospitals wash their hands and go on to a variety of tasks including eating in the canteen.  In reality one person failing to wash their hands could deposit microbes on door handles lift buttons etc. You do not need that many unhygienic people to start an outbreak.

Regards John

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

But they get in hospitals?   And they are totally OTT about hygiene.

The staff may be, but not necessarily the patients. After witnessing a few utterly disgusting incidents as an inpatient a while back, the very last place I’d feel safe is a hospital - and I don’t in any way blame the poor staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think the way to prevent all the outbreaks of these types of infection outbreaks is to completely change how people behave in the public areas of the ship and especially where food is consumed.

This is the problem.

Regards John

Unfortunately there is no magic wand, when you put hundreds/thousands of people in an enclosed environment it's inevitable outbreaks will occur.

You can place as many preventative measures as you like such as hand washing, sanitiser gels etc, but it will only reduce the spread, it won't eradicate it.

I have to say, I've sailed on a few different lines have and been very fortunate not to have caught anything, even when outbreaks were confirmed, I've yet to see any cruiseline NOT take it seriously.

As for people's behaviour "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" as the saying goes.

• Like 3

Onboard Azura, protocols in place for this voyage. See what happens on the next one since we stay on.

People have said on other groups because of the enhanced protocols buffet is busy taking ages to get a drink in bars. The buffet for a change was pretty quiet but limited in choices. Easy enough to get a table for 4 got served in the Glasshouse within 5 minutes. 

On 9/24/2024 at 6:40 PM, zap99 said:

Every blessed outbreak, accident ,cancellation ..Anything they, meaning Road authority, cruise company, airline restaurant..Anybody, they roll out the same old tired phrase.....your safety is our number one priority...change the record and fix things.🤬

It isn't really down to the cruise line.
Nothing they can do if people are boarding with the virus to begin with.

The issue is people getting the virus in the first place.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2024 at 11:22 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Now that you mention it, that rings a bell with me as well re the chucking off.  I just don't get why both passengers and staff don't either wash their hands or use the sanitisers before entering dining venues.  As for arguing with staff about it, I found it incredible that the Captain had to announce about it over the tannoy.  Good that the Captain supported his crew in this matter.  I remember seeing some tours team having to do handwashing/sanitizer duty.  They told us it because it was less likely that passengers would argue with them.  Incredulous that some people argue over a safety matter like that.

Because some people don't believe its an issue of safety and that all the hand washing and use of sanitiser is actually making the issue worse.

It is.

The bugs just grow stronger, and the immune systems just grow weaker.

• Like 1

Do know if you build any immunity to Norovirus over the infection season?

I suffered from Norovirus earlier this year on Azura, I will be back on Arcadia in December, I hope I don't get it again. Once a year would be enough. 

3 minutes ago, GOQ said:

Do know if you build any immunity to Norovirus over the infection season?

I suffered from Norovirus earlier this year on Azura, I will be back on Arcadia in December, I hope I don't get it again. Once a year would be enough. 

I think we generally build up immunity from all infections by exposure to infections.  Ideally you unwittingly get exposed to a very small viral load which your immune system fights off. This all without us realising it.  There are unfortunately different strains of all bugs as they mutate into different more virulent strains. Sometimes our system will be able to adapt and cope with these too. This happens continuously all year round. Keeping up top hygiene practice on board will help a lot. Washing hands frequently, not touching face and avoiding finger foods like sandwiches etc. Being careful of holding handrails, pressing lift buttons and close proximity to other passengers especially if they cough and sneeze.

"Once a year would be enough" made me laugh as you should not want an annual dose of Norovirus. 

Regards John

I think my problem is that I use a walking stick. So I touch a contaminated surface, transfer the germs to my stick, wash my hands, then recontaminate them by holding my stick again.

I now take a handkerchief soaked with antiviral stuff and wipe the stick handle. 

6 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Because some people don't believe its an issue of safety and that all the hand washing and use of sanitiser is actually making the issue worse.

It is.

The bugs just grow stronger, and the immune systems just grow weaker.

You wash your hands to protect yourself and others. You might be fine with viral particles on your hands but if you touch anything with those hands viral particles stick to the surface and the next person who touches that may not have an immune system as powerful as yours. You wash your hands to flush the virus down the plughole, warm water is OK just plenty of scrubbing is good. To kill the virus you need a temperature over 60C which will scald the skin off your hands. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I think my problem is that I use a walking stick. So I touch a contaminated surface, transfer the germs to my stick, wash my hands, then recontaminate them by holding my stick again.

I now take a handkerchief soaked with antiviral stuff and wipe the stick handle. 

I'm confused.  Why would your stick get contaminated?   The germs are not on the ground?

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm confused.  Why would your stick get contaminated?   The germs are not on the ground?

Right OK, on exiting my cabin the handle of my walking stick is clean having just washed it with soap and water.

I told a handrail or push a lift button and pick up germs onto my hands, I then grab hold of my walking stick handle transferring germs to the handle. I then wash my hands or use the gell before eating, I don't realise that my stick handle is now recontaminated and get germs on my hands again.

That's how I recon I got Noroviruson on Azura. 

Edited by GOQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

You wash your hands to protect yourself and others. You might be fine with viral particles on your hands but if you touch anything with those hands viral particles stick to the surface and the next person who touches that may not have an immune system as powerful as yours. You wash your hands to flush the virus down the plughole, warm water is OK just plenty of scrubbing is good. To kill the virus you need a temperature over 60C which will scald the skin off your hands. 

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

There isn't any need to wash hands 50 times a day. It isn't good for us.
Skin is naturally protecting and overwashing will destroy the skins ability to protect.
Wash hands after going to the toilet, of course, but no need to go crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOQ said:

Right OK, on exiting my cabin the handle of my walking stick is clean having just washed it with soap and water.

I told a handrail or push a lift button and pick up germs onto my hands, I then grab hold of my walking stick handle transferring germs to the handle. I then wash my hands or use the gell before eating, I don't realise that my stick handle is now recontaminated and get germs on my hands again.

That's how I recon I got Noroviruson on Azura. 

I suspect that the small amount of material you transfer from most surfaces to your stick, via your hands  are 99.9% unlikely to be harmful to you.

By all means wash your hands regularly, and encourage others to do so before eating, but don't worry too much about it, my understanding is that stress has a negative effect on one's immune system.

3 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

There isn't any need to wash hands 50 times a day. It isn't good for us.
Skin is naturally protecting and overwashing will destroy the skins ability to protect.
Wash hands after going to the toilet, of course, but no need to go crazy.

I did not suggest washing hands 50 times a day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

I did not suggest washing hands 50 times a day.

I know....hyperbole on my part because all I hear is wash wash wash your hands regularly.
Before you leave the cabin, after touching the handrails, before a drink, after the toilet, before a meal, after a meal, after being on deck, after touching my face, after swimming.....O...M....G!

All the activities one does in a day, I would be washing them 50 times.

Not gonna happen.

All these people that seem adverse to washing their hands.

It’s up to them if they think that getting germs and catching viruses is somehow ‘good’ for them.

But it’s not all about the individual, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship, where people live closely together, and viruses spread easily.

You may welcome the chance to ‘give your immune system a work out’. But at least have consideration for your fellow guests who may not be so keen to catch viruses from you. I hope these people as a bare minimum are washing their hands after using the toilet and before meals. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

I know....hyperbole on my part because all I hear is wash wash wash your hands regularly.
Before you leave the cabin, after touching the handrails, before a drink, after the toilet, before a meal, after a meal, after being on deck, after touching my face, after swimming.....O...M....G!

Not gonna happen.

39 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Not gonna happen.

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

I wear disposable gloves when I go in the Gents. One pair can last several days.

Dr Zap.

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s up to them if they think that getting germs and catching viruses is somehow ‘good’ for them.

But it’s not all about the individual, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship, where people live closely together, and viruses spread easily.

You may welcome the chance to ‘give your immune system a work out’. But at least have consideration for your fellow guests who may not be so keen to catch viruses from you. I hope these people as a bare minimum are washing their hands after using the toilet and before meals. 

With some religions and cultures they only eat  with one hand. That cuts the requirement by 50%🤣

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Of course we are, no one is suggesting that basic hygiene should be abandoned, but the tenor of some posts seems to suggest that hand washing and sanitising should be an over frequent activity.

It's also worth pointing out that unless you are ill you are extremely unlikely to be passing the bug onto others, and I would certainly quarantine myself if I did catch the bug, if only to be near a toilet in an emergency.

Edited by terrierjohn