Live from the Constellation, Ravenna to Rome, Sep 27 - Oct 7, 2024

81Zoomie

It’s that time again, and away we go!  We are currently nestled in an ABNB in the San Toma section of Venice.  

First, how did we decide on this cruise?  We were booked on a HAL TA on Rotterdam in Oct and decided that after flying ✈️ all the way to Europe, we didn’t just want to simply jump on a ship and sail home.  After some cruise ‘surfing’ we decided this itinerary was a great option.  It allows us to spend 3 days in Venice before the cruise and 3 days in Rome after.  Then we will fly to AMS and catch our TA back to Port Everglades.  We booked our US to Europe air with HAL because they had a better deal than Celebrity or direct with the airlines.  Our Delta flights were on time and uneventful.

The weather in Venice has been beautiful ☀️🕶️🌞!  We have utilized a host of public transport to include the vaporetto, large gondolas, and busses.  It’s quite easy to get around to explore the small cafes, bars, alleys, sights, and other islands.  The food has been very good!  What can I say, the wine 🍷 costs about the same as water 💦!!!  

Packing was a bit of a challenge because we are experiencing some warm weather, and then some cooler temps when we head up north.  We met our goal of one checked bag 🧳 and one backpack 🎒 a piece.  This was in anticipation of the bridges, trains, busses, and steps.  Our bags weighed in at 43 and 46 pounds.  Wheeling them through Venice was doable, but I would go smaller and lighter if we do this again.  We have 31 steps up to our apt here, after many blocks of cobblestones, and steps on the bridges.

I have always envisioned sailing through the grand canal on a cruise ship.  Unfortunately, this is no longer possible on the larger ships.  We will be taking the Celebrity transfer from Venice City Center/Tronchetto People Mover to Ravenna 🚍 on Friday.  I will report on how that works.  Our plan is to take the Vaporetto ⛴️ to Tronchetto because it avoids the bridges, steps, and the uneven surfaces.  Until then, here are a few pics of our adventures so far!

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

IMG_8776.jpeg

IMG_8815.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

IMG_8750.jpeg

IMG_8798.jpeg

IMG_8791.jpeg

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8821.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 16

Great start including the pics!

I am guessing the ducks aren’t Murano glass.😂😂😂

Love love love Venice!  Spent 5 nights pre-cruise in the San Polo neighborhood, but could have spent 5 more easily.  We had a pretty doable walk to Tronchetto.  The ramps over the bridges helped.

What a wonderful itinerary, too!  Enjoy your cruise.

Will follow you over to Rotterdam as I am HAL curious.

Let’s talk about one of the most important things…. Getting to the ship 🚢.  We purchased transfers from the Venice City Center/Tronchetto to Ravenna.  Like so many others, the paperwork from Celebrity was hard to find, and it was not entirely clear. (Please note that your departure time might be different.)

image.thumb.jpeg.2b6924174fbb9fba01e47d45302402ca.jpeg

Today was a rather unstructured day for us, so we decided to dry run our route and method to the bus meeting point tomorrow.

We are staying in the San Toma area.  It’s about a 15-20 min walk for us to Piazzale Roma where the public busses and People Mover are located.  Our preference is to minimize the walk with luggage.  This morning, we took the Vaporetto from the San Toma stop to Tronchetto Mercato.  The key regardless of where you get on, is to get off at Troncetto Mercato.

image.thumb.jpeg.511966e03fa63c32a036f8261d477a0b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1116e8b5e62be66c9625e9aada59b6ef.jpeg

(Keep  in mind the morning departure puts us in the Venetian commute time.  The Vaporetto was fairly crowded and the canals looked like I-95!)

The Tronchetto Mercato stop put us very close to the end of the People Mover where the private bus company/charter busses 🚌 park.  There were busses parked to the left and the right.

image.thumb.jpeg.463566763aa52ccda60ec126076df585.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.adfed5cc609b6c6fc5da5ef99f616ac3.jpeg

The sidewalk is smooth 👍.  I expect it to be easy to find a Celebrity X Cruises sign.  The trip took us 40 minutes from our apt to the bottom of the People Mover at Troncetto. Your timing will vary based on location.

If you are close to Piazzale Roma, you can take the People Mover over to Tronchetto and arrive at the point I described.  Think of the People Mover as a train at the MCO, ATL, DTW airport.  The entrance to the People Mover is at the bottom of the white parking garage.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e9cb525c8e5ec48144e1f278733110c3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4dc7fcc5f1341673832e82617e4f1988.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b56844d6865d89b9cbf62c7a7e1af21.jpeg

It cost a couple of 1.50€.  If you have a Vaporetto ⛴️ pass it is included!

Since logistics is everything…

- The are bathrooms at the end of the People Mover where the busses will be waiting.  Cost is 1€.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed210fda98ffa02ee37fabd99f441f29.jpeg

- There is also a small coffee shop store with some food.

- And, what would Venice be without a few souvenir shops 😆

We feel a lot more comfortable after our dry run this morning.  Hope these pics and experience is helpful to others.

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 7

What we left behind…. When you live in Florida, and other coastal areas in Hurricane season you never know what to expect.  Flying in to your cruise departure port early is always usually a good call.  Equally important is securing your home prior to departure.  For all those affected by Helene, our thoughts are with you. Stay safe!

image.thumb.jpeg.e1341a9948511ba1ed22a198573ff80b.jpeg

• Like 4

On 9/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, 81Zoomie said:

It’s that time again, and away we go!  We are currently nestled in an ABNB in the San Toma section of Venice.  

First, how did we decide on this cruise?  We were booked on a HAL TA on Rotterdam in Oct and decided that after flying ✈️ all the way to Europe, we didn’t just want to simply jump on a ship and sail home.  After some cruise ‘surfing’ we decided this itinerary was a great option.  It allows us to spend 3 days in Venice before the cruise and 3 days in Rome after.  Then we will fly to AMS and catch our TA back to Port Everglades.  We booked our US to Europe air with HAL because they had a better deal than Celebrity or direct with the airlines.  Our Delta flights were on time and uneventful.

The weather in Venice has been beautiful ☀️🕶️🌞!  We have utilized a host of public transport to include the vaporetto, large gondolas, and busses.  It’s quite easy to get around to explore the small cafes, bars, alleys, sights, and other islands.  The food has been very good!  What can I say, the wine 🍷 costs about the same as water 💦!!!  

Packing was a bit of a challenge because we are experiencing some warm weather, and then some cooler temps when we head up north.  We met our goal of one checked bag 🧳 and one backpack 🎒 a piece.  This was in anticipation of the bridges, trains, busses, and steps.  Our bags weighed in at 43 and 46 pounds.  Wheeling them through Venice was doable, but I would go smaller and lighter if we do this again.  We have 31 steps up to our apt here, after many blocks of cobblestones, and steps on the bridges.

I have always envisioned sailing through the grand canal on a cruise ship.  Unfortunately, this is no longer possible on the larger ships.  We will be taking the Celebrity transfer from Venice City Center/Tronchetto People Mover to Ravenna 🚍 on Friday.  I will report on how that works.  Our plan is to take the Vaporetto ⛴️ to Tronchetto because it avoids the bridges, steps, and the uneven surfaces.  Until then, here are a few pics of our adventures so far!

IMG_8737.jpeg

IMG_8815.jpeg

IMG_8750.jpeg

Have an amazing trip!!  Your pictures bring back such great memories.

Our first trip to Europe was on the Connie on the same cruise but it was back when cruise ships were allowed to leave from Venice.  Enjoy the ship - we love her!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcmagnum said:

Have an amazing trip!!  Your pictures bring back such great memories.

Our first trip to Europe was on the Connie on the same cruise but it was back when cruise ships were allowed to leave from Venice.  Enjoy the ship - we love her!! 

Same for us!

Such happy memories of our 1st cruise.

Sailed out of Venice on Connie & I must say I shed a few tears, it was magical & I feel very privileged to have experienced that.

Your photos are fab, love Burano, so pretty!

And those ducks 😃😃😃

I'll look forward to your posts.

Thanks!

Will leave you with photo's you'll probably never see again........

074.JPG

075.JPG

2014-06-07 12.09.13.jpg

077.JPG

• Like 5

Our ABNB host made a recommendation to take a Vaporetto ride at night 🎆.  It was a GREAT suggestion!  The canals were less chaotic and it was very serene!  The lights were beautiful and we got a different perspective of the buildings.  Definitely second this recommendation as a cost effective way to see the lights of Venice 🥰.

We have had a wonderful stay in Venice.  Highly advise to spend a few days here before or after a Mediterranean cruise.  It’s a magical place ❤️.

We are up early this morning to button up our suitcases🧳🧳, make our way to the bus 🚍, and board the Connie 🚢.  Arriverderci Venezia 🎭, until next time…

IMG_8925.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

IMG_8918.jpeg

IMG_8919.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 8

We are on the same cruise! Currently in the waiting room prior to boarding. (Not in the Retreat, they allowed everyone to come in and check in.) We stayed in a lovely little BNB in Ravenna last night and then just a 20 minute shuttle to the terminal. 

We were last on Connie in 2016 so it will be interesting to see how much it has changed. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, 81Zoomie said:

I have always envisioned sailing through the grand canal on a cruise ship.  Unfortunately, this is no longer possible on the larger ships.

Surely you know that this  is/was/never has been   possible. Loved the views of the Grand Canal at night.   They brought back memories of out three pre-cruise stays in Venice.

6 hours ago, Chrissi3010 said:

I love the Constellation, too. We had the best cruises on her. One in 2016 out of Venice...we were priveleged to have that view:

20161010_172840.jpg

20161010_173233.jpg

20161010_173302.jpg

I love these views. In 2013, we did a pre-cruise stay at a VRBO adjacent to the Molino Stuckey on Giudecca; feasted our eyes on this view for three days.