Oceania's price policy

Cadorina

We booked the Vista, for Jan 8 Miami to Los Angeles. We had an advertised "Early Booking Savings". Shortly after booking, we were required to pay in full - six months before departure. Last week, Oceania published new prices for this cruise, lower than what we had paid. I asked for an adjustment, and was told I could not have it because I had paid in full. I asked for some shipboard credit as compensation. Oceania refused.

No luxury cruise line would have handled a repeat guest this way. No way will I ever sail with Oceania again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 days before our SB cruise I noticed that the price went down about $800 USD. Contacted our TA, she got us $1,000 per person OBC.

Maybe this is one of the differences between O and a truly luxury line?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cadorina said:

We booked the Vista, for Jan 8 Miami to Los Angeles. We had an advertised "Early Booking Savings". Shortly after booking, we were required to pay in full - six months before departure. Last week, Oceania published new prices for this cruise, lower than what we had paid. I asked for an adjustment, and was told I could not have it because I had paid in full. I asked for some shipboard credit as compensation. Oceania refused.

No luxury cruise line would have handled a repeat guest this way. No way will I ever sail with Oceania again.

Did you book through a TA? It’s most unusual for Oceania to request full payment 6 months in advance. In fact I’ve never had to pay in full so far ahead.  

If you booked directly with Oceania then that is definitely bad practice. If not I would be speaking to your TA and to Oceania yourself. Something doesn’t feel quite right.

3 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Did you book through a TA? It’s most unusual for Oceania to request full payment 6 months in advance. In fact I’ve never had to pay in full so far ahead.  

If you booked directly with Oceania then that is definitely bad practice. If not I would be speaking to your TA and to Oceania yourself. Something doesn’t feel quite right.

You found an itinerary on a ship you like at a price you were happy with when you booked.  You signed a contract and agree to the terms and price.   Now, because the cruise wasn't selling well and they lowered prices,  you're never going to sail with them again?

Do you stop going to a grocery store because the milk you bought yesterday went on sale today?  Will you no longer fly an airline because someone may have paid less than you did for their seat?  If you prepay a hotel room months in advance and the last minute rate drops do you never go to that brand again?  If the price had gone up, would you volunteer to pay more?

Of course we all want to pay as little as possible.   And yes, I'd absolutely ask for the lower rate, onboard credit or some compensation.   But I'd also understand that it's not required and is simply a nice gesture.  How can you be so over the top upset when O is abiding by their contract? 

This constant over the top hyperbole that a cruiseline needs to break their contract to accommodate an individual guests AND a guest will go nuts if the cruiseline isn't entirely within their contract has got to stop. 

If you don't want to give a business money in the future for doing EXACTLY  what they promised to do in writing,  that's your choice.   But you'll also quickly run out of options.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A good reminder of the real world where...

- Always pay attention to O sales.

- Never make final payment until the very last possible moment.

- Watch cabin availability for any cruise you're interested in and possibly delay booking as late as possible.

- Know the refund policy currently in existence

If many cabin levels are still available and O is offering a great sale price for a cruise as it approaches, it likely wasn't too popular to being with.

35 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

A good reminder of the real world where...

- Always pay attention to O sales.

- Never make final payment until the very last possible moment.

- Watch cabin availability for any cruise you're interested in and possibly delay booking as late as possible.

- Know the refund policy currently in existence

If many cabin levels are still available and O is offering a great sale price for a cruise as it approaches, it likely wasn't too popular to being with.

The problem is that so many ships are selling out early. Waiting for a better price can cause you to miss booking the cabin type you want--or any cabin on the ship.  It's all a gamble.  

I choose to book early for a price I am willing to pay and not stress over saving a few bucks.  Others look at it differently. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

The problem is that so many ships are selling out early. Waiting for a better price can cause you to miss booking the cabin type you want--or any cabin on the ship.  It's all a gamble....

I agree. Though a key may be to study availability over time looking at similar or identical itineraries BEFORE you book. Studying various areas around the world.

I suspect, for example, that "junk" cruises in the W. Carib don't sell out quickly. Same for even E. Carib cruises outside of "peak times". You could barely pay me to want to recruise in the W and we'd only ever do the E again if it had the Dutch A-B-C islands.

Reminds me of the "value" of trying to sail outside of "peak times". When ships don't fill up immediately. Weather may be a gamble, but cruising the Med in July is insane at 100 deg F. We were blessed with near perfect weather on our recent Baltic cruise, but it is possible the weather may still be good for Sirena as she does 2 more cruises there before exiting. (We had perfect weather in the Med 10-11/2023, too.)

When I booked the cruise and paid my deposit, I was stunned to see that final payment was due a few weeks later. I believe Oceania, like all cruise lines, is trying to recoup Covid losses. This effectively reduced my options. It is the combination of being forced to pay in full much earlier than I am used to, plus a subsequent price decrease, that I found irksome. And no, I don't freak out when milk goes on sale, but a $16K cruise is hardly a quart of milk.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Cadorina said:

When I booked the cruise and paid my deposit, I was stunned to see that final payment was due a few weeks later. I believe Oceania, like all cruise lines, is trying to recoup Covid losses. This effectively reduced my options. It is the combination of being forced to pay in full much earlier than I am used to, plus a subsequent price decrease, that I found irksome. And no, I don't freak out when milk goes on sale, but a $16K cruise is hardly a quart of milk.  

Just for comparison, Viking requires full payment 12 (sometimes12+) months in advance.  If you already have a cruise booked, you can request the new one be 6 months.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Just for comparison, Viking requires full payment 12 (sometimes12+) months in advance.  If you already have a cruise booked, you can request the new one be 6 months.

Yep. Viking wanted full payment for a cruise I was interested in - 16 months (!) before sailing date. I refuse to tie up that much money so far ahead,  and because of that tend to book relatively last minute.  
Ended up booking the cruise for a great price in one of the few remaining standard cabins - one can’t be fussy about cabin type or location in that scenario.

If you aren’t flexible and want a guarantee of cabin type, date and itinerary you have no option but to accept the company’s payment policies. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Agree……we have 3 cruises booked now with final payment not yet done. On all 3, final payment is 5 months prior to sail date. Not sure we have all the correct information. Also, I’m not sure how it is handled if they just lower the price because of slower sales on a cruise or if it goes under a specific sale event….as I see this cruise is now under the Upgrade sale. 

12 hours ago, ak1004 said:

2 days before our SB cruise I noticed that the price went down about $800 USD. Contacted our TA, she got us $1,000 per person OBC.

Maybe this is one of the differences between O and a truly luxury line?

How long ago was this?  I suspect that Oceania has change their repricing policy or I have an ineffective TA.

I have a cruise booked for March 27 on the Vista.  Both the summer and Caribbean promotions have lowered the price.  My TA has spoken to Oceania several times.  Oceania is insisting that these promotions are for new bookings only.  (Although the lower price is the only price reflected on line). She has been unable to reprice  or get me an additional OBC.  I am before the final payment.  
Oceania is insisting that I have to cancel my current booking and rebook while paying $150 pp to cancel by today and it increases to $500 pp starting tomorrow. (It will be 180 until cruise tomorrow.). I am also displeased that I might lose my cabin if I cancel and rebook..

I was wondering if those reporting that they either had their price adjusted or received an off setting SBC are from some  time ago before a “policy change”.  

Anyone have a recent experience on the Summer or Caribbean price reductions?

Or should I be using a different TA for my Oceania cruises, because she apparently does not have enough leverage with Oceania.

Thank you for your quick response because I have to decide today if I want to cancel. 

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, Cadorina said:

I get that you are unhappy but I am pretty certain that no one at Oceania “forced” you to do anything.  You found a cruise you liked and obviously booked and paid knowing full well what you were doing.  The price went down after, it happens, often.

48 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I was wondering if those reporting that they either had their price adjusted or received an off setting SBC are from some  time ago before a “policy change”.  

Yes, that's something you have to watch for. You have people that will tell you about something they did in 2014, or 2008, or 2019, all of which may or may not have a bearing on what is happening now. The other thing you see is people that will tell you about something that happened, but it was on another line. Many times you have to dig with questions to get that information, which once again, if it wasn't on Oceania it's really not pertinent, and frequently the way it will be presented it's hard to tell if it was on O or another line. Just a pet peeve of mine. 

Of course if you really want to see some messed up information check out some of the FB Oceania discussions. SMH!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I suspect, for example, that "junk" cruises in the W. Carib don't sell out quickly. Same for even E. Carib cruises outside of "peak times". You could barely pay me to want to recruise in the W and we'd only ever do the E again if it had the Dutch A-B-C islands

Why are Oceania Carib cruises junky?  Are there lowered staff ratios?  Poor / lower quality provisions? This is disappointing to hear.

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

How long ago was this?  I suspect that Oceania has change their repricing policy or I have an ineffective TA.

I have a cruise booked for March 27 on the Vista.  Both the summer and Caribbean promotions have lowered the price.  My TA has spoken to Oceania several times.  Oceania is insisting that these promotions are for new bookings only.  (Although the lower price is the only price reflected on line). She has been unable to reprice  or get me an additional OBC.  I am before the final payment.  
Oceania is insisting that I have to cancel my current booking and rebook while paying $150 pp to cancel by today and it increases to $500 pp starting tomorrow. (It will be 180 until cruise tomorrow.). I am also displeased that I might lose my cabin if I cancel and rebook..

Or should I be using a different TA for my Oceania cruises, because she apparently does not have enough leverage with Oceania.

Thank you for your quick response because I have to decide today if I want to cancel. 

This was 2 weeks ago, but it was SB, not O. I suspect that all cruise lines have the same rules - after final payment, no price adjustments. But SB was willing to break the rules to make the customer happy, and O usually won't do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Why are Oceania Carib cruises junky?  Are there lowered staff ratios?  Poor / lower quality provisions? This is disappointing to hear.

Because he didn't like it.  I've been on two Western Caribbean cruises and had a great time both times.  No one has the right to say a cruise is junk just because they didn't like it.  If they didn't like it at least say why it was a bad cruise.  I don't think it was the ship but they didn't like where they went. It wasn't the ship just his expectations of the area.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Keep in mind this is the opinion of one person who previously has said any cruise to the these areas is a waste of money in their opinion.....you will find many who enjoy these cruises and happily return year after year.  Do not let one person's opinion sway your thoughts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

A well connected TA with O will be able to get OBC after FP.

I know this as fact from another pax, who did receive OBC after FP, when their voyage went on a sale.

Suggestion:

On your next O cruise, ask a few other guests who they use as TA, and you may find several pax who will tell you the name of the same well connected O agent/agency. 

That's how I found such an agency, after about 15 years using the same large Internet agency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to those that responded.  Much appreciated.

Just to clarify, I have yet made my final payment.  My TA says sometimes Oceania allows a reduction in price and sometime they do not.  The detailed terms for the Summer and Caribbean promotions clearly states they are for new bookings only.   No one so far has stated that they have been able  to get a reduction in price or a SBC under these particular promotions.

ORV, I see how I sometimes get confused. Good explanation of what I might be seeing.  

16 hours ago, fizzy said:

Why are Oceania Carib cruises junky?  Are there lowered staff ratios?  Poor / lower quality provisions?...

15 hours ago, basor said:

.... you will find many who enjoy these cruises and happily return year after year....

15 hours ago, iowananny said:

... I've been on two Western Caribbean cruises and had a great time both times. ... I don't think it was the ship but they didn't like where they went. It wasn't the ship just his expectations of the area.

One doesn't cruise in a vacuum but in a world of choices. So COMPARING what you can SEE and DO in say the Baltic or Med, for example, the Carib, both E and W, pales.

We had a fine time on our very first ever cruise, on Riviera in the W Carib in 12/2021. But I have no inclination to ever go back. Take the "fake" cruise-dominated "Costa Maya". All but a purpose-built tourist trap from the late 1990s. Big deal. And our 2nd cruise, on Sirena 11/2022, was in the E Carib. Another 1 and done for us. We enjoyed it. Did some interesting things. But you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all and there isn't that much to see or do on any of the islands that can't be seen or done elsewhere. Though, as I said, the only places I'd be interested in returning there for would be the Dutch A-B-C islands.

As for the private cruise islands (e.g., off Belize or in the Bahamas), who cares about spending a few hours one day on their beach? I can do that in places like Destin, Florida. Really enjoy some serious sun and sand.

So if you like repetitive plain vanilla just-hours-for-the-day tourist trap destinations, the Carib is for you. Or day drinking on the ship. Oh boy....

• Like 1