dockworkers strike

suec12

The ILA has also shared that cruise lines will not be impacted by strike. "ILA Longshore workers will continue to work Passenger Cruise vessels at all ILA ports, to not inconvenience the tens of thousands of Americans who have booked trips in advance," he said

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, royal3 said:

The ILA has also shared that cruise lines will not be impacted by strike. "ILA Longshore workers will continue to work Passenger Cruise vessels at all ILA ports, to not inconvenience the tens of thousands of Americans who have booked trips in advance," he said

Yeah, but...

Cruise ships will be impacted by supply shortages just the same as any other company.

If no bananas are being imported, there won't be any bananas in your local Publix, and there won't be any available to the businesses handling ship provisioning in Florida, either.

So while the ILA may not mess directly with cruise ship handling, that doesn't mean that there won't be some real issues aboard, particularly related to imported food items.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Just so long they’ve got my Grey Goose on board this Saturday!

I doubt they'll have run out by then ☺️ but Grey Goose is made in France.  So we may someday discover just how many days worth of Grey Goose inventory normally sits in distributors' warehouses here in the U.S. !!!  Actually, we may find those numbers for a lot of things.  I'm sure Tito's will be curious as well.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I doubt they'll have run out by then ☺️ but Grey Goose is made in France.  So we may someday discover just how many days worth of Grey Goose inventory normally sits in distributors' warehouses here in the U.S. !!!  Actually, we may find those numbers for a lot of things.  I'm sure Tito's will be curious as well.

Tito’s is trying to determine if it can increase domestic sales and Pacific sales to offset lost sales in Europe from missed outbound shipments. The strike also impacts exports. No BMW X5’s going to Germany…

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Now off to Costco for a bottle of Grey Goose ...

Pick up some toilet paper, 😊 this coming from a survivor of the 2020 toilet paper shortage!😵‍💫

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Pick up some toilet paper, 😊 this coming from a survivor of the 2020 toilet paper shortage!😵‍💫

People are buying up toilet paper artificially creating a shortage. What we really have worry being short of is coffee. I don’t know if I could survive that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

People are buying up toilet paper artificially creating a shortage. What we really have worry being short of is coffee. I don’t know if I could survive that. 

It would only take a quick Google search to learn that almost all toilet paper used in the US is made in the US. From US and Canadian wood products. If that becomes a shortage, it's truly artificial...

Unfortunately most coffee is imported through the impacted ports. I guess we could find out how many days of supply are already in place...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markeb said:

It would only take a quick Google search to learn that almost all toilet paper used in the US is made in the US. From US and Canadian wood products. If that becomes a shortage, it's truly artificial...

Unfortunately most coffee is imported through the impacted ports. I guess we could find out how many days of supply are already in place...

And how much comes into west coast ports, unaffected by the strike

4 hours ago, fenton04 said:

on line input says tp comes from Canada or Mex by truck or train..

we worry more abt medicine

20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

And how much comes into west coast ports, unaffected by the strike

Apparently very little. Mostly from Columbia and Brazil into East Coast and Gulf ports, at least from what I could find. I would have thought more would come through the west coast.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

As a survivor of the great toilet paper shortage of 2020 I resemble that remark. Not the coffee the T.P..

Edited by fenton04
spell

13 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

As a survivor of the great toilet paper shortage of 2020 I resemble that remark. Not the coffee the T.P..

I accidentally had plenty of toilet paper in 2020 as I buy it in bulk and my timing was lucky. I happen to have a six month supply of TP right now. I doubt the strike will last that long. I use fresh coffee beans for my espresso so coffee is going to be a problem. Another problem for me to survive is a banana shortage. 

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I accidentally had plenty of toilet paper in 2020 as I buy it in bulk and my timing was lucky. I happen to have a six month supply of TP right now. I doubt the strike will last that long. I use fresh coffee beans for my espresso so coffee is going to be a problem. Another problem for me to survive is a banana shortage. 

Brother if I had extra coffee I would definitely share with you.  Life is too short without a daily cup of Joe.  To be honest we have three cruises planned next six months.  No coffee and man overboard.😊

I read the ILA statement.  First, they don't want to affect families and people who plan vacations, often over a year in advance

Second, because the pandemic shut down cruising for so long, there were ILA members who were affected by the lack of cruise ship sailings.  So, the ILA will work cruise ships docking on the East Coast and Gulf ports.

That said, as pointed out by others, a lengthy strike will affect provisioning of ships.

We could see ships getting U.S. food items, and imports from West Coast ports being loaded on embarkation days, but produce and items like European alcohol are provisioned in Carribean or Mexican ports.

Just announced that the strike is  put on hold..for a few months  Did not catch details!

Hope  ships stock up!

(We cruise in Dec and Jan from Port Ev)