Learning the Ropes for Explora Journey For Our First Time Cruising On Them

Sthrngary

Hello All:

As we approach our first cruise on Explora Journey leaving February 2025, I find it interesting how things have and are currently working.  Here are a few things and I am finding.  What I am hoping for from this feedback that confirms or corrects my findings; new information that will help me and other who are first time cruisers on Explora Journey; and GREAT tips to make our cruise that much better.  

Excursion Booking: My cruise is on February 2025 and I notice online that my excursion window was open.  I attempted to book two excursions and got online errors.  So I called and the customer service handled them both.  What I learned was I could not use my On-Board-Credits pre-cruise so the amounts will be part of my final payment.  

Spa Treatment: Again, I have a nice amount of On-Board-Credits so I found out to use them for Spa Treatment, I have to wait until I get on-board.  One would think this would be an issue but for me it is not.  I usually book massages for port days not sea days so I really have an issue gaining a reservation.  Just interesting how one cruise brand is different then others on On-Board-Credits.

Pricing and Marketing:  I watch pricing on all the cruises I go on.  How do they fluctuate and can I gain a benefit as promotions and sales happen. I was able to take advantage of a recent promotion to gain more On-Board-Credit.  However, it was a little complicated how they do this.  It seems I have my old deposit in limbo until I make my final payment which is when it will be applied.  Not upset, just their policy and now I understand it.  I also noticed the most recent promotion is to gain one complementary Anthology Dining Experience if you book now.  Yet with that came an increase of $200.00 per person in the fair.  Welcome the the Marketing department and the games they ALL Play.

Website: At first, I could not get on and it would not accept my email.  Then bingo, it was ok.  I am not saying this is the best website I have ever been on.  But at least I can see most important things. Lots of work to do to make it first class.

YouTube Videos: This were hard to find and one couple did most of them.  Yet a few days ago, a very popular group of two men did an excellent video.  Like all YouTubes, take everything with a grain of salt but for me, very informative.  Here is the link: 

Dining: Making Reservations for Restaurant Pre-Cruise: Any help on strategy would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

@Sthrngary  Regarding your dining you can book one sitting for Sakura and one for Marble & Co.

I think it's at the 60 day pre cruise or thereabouts.

I was unable to book these either via the Web or App. However, calling the support team allowed me to book them.

Once aboard options to place more bookings open up using the app or maitre d'.

I was told this was to allow everyone to obtain at least one seating per speciality  restaurant.

I did notice that when I booked an excursion via the support desk (Web/  App were not responsive) it had to be paid within a week via your TA or it was removed again. The desk is unable to take card payments over the phone.

So I'd suggest if you do want to pre book an excursion arrange it via your TA in the first instance.

Enjoy your cruise, we certainly did. 

ATB

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChilledGecko said:

I did notice that when I booked an excursion via the support desk (Web/  App were not responsive) it had to be paid within a week via your TA or it was removed again. The desk is unable to take card payments over the phone.

So I'd suggest if you do want to pre book an excursion arrange it via your TA in the first instance.

This was a very specific question I asked with the call center.  I am in the US so this might be different.  I was told, i pay this when I pay my final payment.  All that said, I check my account almost daily so I will see if they take the excursions off.  Thank you for your heads up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello All:

As we approach our first cruise on Explora Journey leaving February 2025, I find it interesting how things have and are currently working.  Here are a few things and I am finding.  What I am hoping for from this feedback that confirms or corrects my findings; new information that will help me and other who are first time cruisers on Explora Journey; and GREAT tips to make our cruise that much better.  

Excursion Booking: My cruise is on February 2025 and I notice online that my excursion window was open.  I attempted to book two excursions and got online errors.  So I called and the customer service handled them both.  What I learned was I could not use my On-Board-Credits pre-cruise so the amounts will be part of my final payment.  

Spa Treatment: Again, I have a nice amount of On-Board-Credits so I found out to use them for Spa Treatment, I have to wait until I get on-board.  One would think this would be an issue but for me it is not.  I usually book massages for port days not sea days so I really have an issue gaining a reservation.  Just interesting how one cruise brand is different then others on On-Board-Credits.

Pricing and Marketing:  I watch pricing on all the cruises I go on.  How do they fluctuate and can I gain a benefit as promotions and sales happen. I was able to take advantage of a recent promotion to gain more On-Board-Credit.  However, it was a little complicated how they do this.  It seems I have my old deposit in limbo until I make my final payment which is when it will be applied.  Not upset, just their policy and now I understand it.  I also noticed the most recent promotion is to gain one complementary Anthology Dining Experience if you book now.  Yet with that came an increase of $200.00 per person in the fair.  Welcome the the Marketing department and the games they ALL Play.

Website: At first, I could not get on and it would not accept my email.  Then bingo, it was ok.  I am not saying this is the best website I have ever been on.  But at least I can see most important things. Lots of work to do to make it first class.

YouTube Videos: This were hard to find and one couple did most of them.  Yet a few days ago, a very popular group of two men did an excellent video.  Like all YouTubes, take everything with a grain of salt but for me, very informative.  Here is the link: 

Dining: Making Reservations for Restaurant Pre-Cruise: Any help on strategy would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

That video by Ben and David is significant in that they swore off anything MSC last year.

They left a cruise early after being hassled by the crew about filming.

This was a major turn around  for them with a glowing review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

That video by Ben and David is significant in that they swore off anything MSC last year.

They left a cruise early after being hassled by the crew about filming.

This was a major turn around  for them with a glowing review.

They both talked about that in this review and said, MSC refunded them and apologized. I like their style.

Excursions are SHOWING available for my cruise, March 2025.  Tried to book of course just as you, I couldn't.  Sent my TA an email. We'll see what she says. 

I've never NOT been able to book excursions myself with several other cruise lines.  I wonder what the deal is? It's easier on everyone if the booked cruiser can manage the particulars for their cruise.

• Like 2

Sthrngary,

Thanks so much for posting that video.  It is one of the better cruise videos I've seen.  The final payment for our Explora II cruise in January is due in a few weeks.  The video certainly contributes to our excitement trying a new cruise line.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Sthrngary,

Thanks so much for posting that video.  It is one of the better cruise videos I've seen.  The final payment for our Explora II cruise in January is due in a few weeks.  The video certainly contributes to our excitement trying a new cruise line.   

@Nashna My pleasure.  The key to that video was they paid for it them selves.  I have been researching YouTube folks on cruises for years.  Some are authentic and others simply are travel agents that say everything is perfect and nothing is wrong.  Then say, book with me.  Nothing wrong with that and often good information.  I am of the opinion, knowing the good and the bad help my orchestrate my cruise to exceed my expectations.  Those gentlemen are some of the best along with Gary B.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

.... along with Gary B.  

I will agree with 1/2 of your statement!

Gary B is in a league of his own ... THE best and I'm pretty certain the ONLY one of the "big" reviewers who ALWAYS pays his own way.

Even if you occasionally accept a fam or freebie, you are forever biased in your opinions. It's great that they paid for this trip, but if they took that one as a perk, I take whatever else they say with a grain of salt.

Other Gary: you're the big research guy .... correct me, prove me wrong or let's find out the deets!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Other Gary: you're the big research guy .... correct me, prove me wrong or let's find out the deets!

@Dr. Cocktail Gary B. is one of my favorites.  I like his professionalism and style.  Anyone that research cruise would simply have to agree. Others have good and bad point so take them all in and take everyone with a grain of salt.  Simply stated, you are correct sir. Why would I every try to prove you wrong?  You have been a GREAT contributor in every way. 

The best way we can all enjoy our cruises is to be open to all opinions.  Sometimes social media and those that post have to remember.  Even the worst cruise we have ever taken has some good about it.  That is the power of cruising. 

Cruise well, have a cocktail on me,  Enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

Just booked a sailing on Dec 16, 2024 out of Miami. Very excited to try Explora I. So far I love everything I am learning about the ship and included amenities (i.e. Starling WiFi, most drinks, etc). I have been sailing in Retreat on Celebrity ships in the last 3 years and I have been looking at more luxury lines. So far I am just testing waters with Explora and Oceania. 

• Like 3

@ETHTrader I am sure you will love Explora.  Explora is luxury, Oceania is not.  It is a Premium line.   They recently changed their pricing and inclusions policy so you may want to check their board.

@SthrngaryI showed my DH the Youtube with David and Ben.  We finished the one you posted and will keep checking for their Part 2. He agreed with me that it looks the cuisine on our cruise will be outstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are also sailing Explora for the first time in February and am very excited to try out a (new to us) line.  We have been cruising for over 30 years on everything from Carnival to Seabourn and have loved something about (almost) every cruise we’ve ever been on 😎. I too, tend to consume as much information beforehand as possible, and sometimes can be accused of enjoying the planning of our cruises more than the cruise itself.  That said, there are many channels/reviewers on social media and some I resonate more with than others. Just like here on CC, I think it’s important to remember that it’s easy to get excited over the shiny and new as we all did when the original reviews came out, but as more and more have actually sailed Explora it is (of course) not the perfect/ one size fits all perfection that is marketed to be.  I know that going in and will temper my expectations accordingly.  For example, many here have been upset at the swap of complementary high end champagne for all suites to what is considered a lesser brand.  As someone who really doesn’t drink champagne, I could care less but would be upset if the bourbon selection was poor or the coffee tasted horrible, for example.  We all have our preferences which can make or break an experience.  I personally have never been on a perfect vacation or a terrible one, but with realistic expectations, the reminder that I am fortunate enough to on a vacation at all, and perhaps a delicious cocktail, I’m sure we’ll get thru. 🍸

To fair seas ahead.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

You have been a GREAT contributor in every way. 

The best way we can all enjoy our cruises is to be open to all opinions.  Sometimes social media and those that post have to remember.  Even the worst cruise we have ever taken has some good about it.  That is the power of cruising. 

Cruise well, have a cocktail on me,  Enjoy every moment. 

Thanks for your kind words!

Absolutely .... you can actually have the opposite!  One of my BEST cruises ever was on Ponant ... I didn't love the ship, I disliked a lot of my fellow passengers and thought that their dining was a bit of a mess. Basically no entertainment. But .... only 200 passengers sliding into small ports in Croatia and the Adriatic. It was like being in a movie.

Spectacular.

You can even learn from people that you wildly disagree with.

Actually, why don't you have a cocktail/toast for me?

I was heading out later this week on a 10 night "cheapish and cheerful" Celebrity cruise from Boston to FLL.  Our fabulous but suddenly very sick 16-year-old cat had other plans for us.

Oh well, whatcha'  gonna do?

Suddenly, not so cheerful and VERY not cheap as cancellation insurance doesn't cover sick pets.

Funny how occasionally life can intrude into cruising!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ETHTrader said:

Just booked a sailing on Dec 16, 2024 out of Miami. Very excited to try Explora I. So far I love everything I am learning about the ship and included amenities (i.e. Starling WiFi, most drinks, etc). I have been sailing in Retreat on Celebrity ships in the last 3 years and I have been looking at more luxury lines. So far I am just testing waters with Explora and Oceania. 

@ETHTrader I went Oceania Nov 2023 in the Mediterranean. We had a great time. I loved it.  

Cruise Well and Enjoy every Moment.

• Like 1

How did Ben and David only spend ~$7k on their Explora II cruise? Ben made a point to say it was for both of them, but when I looked at the website, that seemed impossible for their cabin and unlikely for even the lowest cabin category. Can anyone explain how this works?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tribeca_NYC said:

How did Ben and David only spend ~$7k on their Explora II cruise? Ben made a point to say it was for both of them, but when I looked at the website, that seemed impossible for their cabin and unlikely for even the lowest cabin category. Can anyone explain how this works?

5 hours ago, Mikelynn said:

They must have got that price in the sale which was quite a few months ago. Basically half price for cabins.

18 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Even if you occasionally accept a fam or freebie, you are forever biased in your opinions. It's great that they paid for this trip, but if they took that one as a perk, I take whatever else they say with a grain of salt.

They have a new video up. Unless I’m mistaken, they’re in a Premier Penthouse.

I’m quoting myself here but they’ve obviously been given some sort of “deal” or special fare.

The Premier Penthouses are NOT cheap.

Everyone on these boards knows how much I love Explora - I’m just confirming that you have to be careful with social media reviews.

THE one to watch will be Gary B’s!

• Like 3

The best word of wisdom comes from @Dr. Cocktail

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Everyone on these boards knows how much I love Explora - I’m just confirming that you have to be careful with social media reviews.

All contributors have something to offer. All Social Media influencers have something to offer. If you enjoy research and not everyone does, you are looking for comments or opinions that follow a trend or pattern.  One over the top great review or video or one supper bad review or video does not outline the brand.  

Why so much about this subject.  Personal for me. I have made some very expensive poor decisions in my life.  My personality creates a self talk that is more degrading to myself then making the decision.  Not saying this is healthy, just saying it is me.  I hate making bad decision but less so if I did do my due diligence.  Than, I knew most of the time what I was getting into.  I can then forgive myself. Like knowing, Oceania Cruises misses port often.  I knew it, I booked it anyway, and the missed a port so it did not effect my cruise to bad. 

Up to this point, very few video reviews are out there about Explora Journey.  So hard to gain all the information we all might need from that.  Nice to hear good stuff and look forward to more information in the next many months. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The best word of wisdom comes from @Dr. Cocktail

All contributors have something to offer. All Social Media influencers have something to offer. If you enjoy research and not everyone does, you are looking for comments or opinions that follow a trend or pattern.  One over the top great review or video or one supper bad review or video does not outline the brand.  

Why so much about this subject.  Personal for me. I have made some very expensive poor decisions in my life.  My personality creates a self talk that is more degrading to myself then making the decision.  Not saying this is healthy, just saying it is me.  I hate making bad decision but less so if I did do my due diligence.  Than, I knew most of the time what I was getting into.  I can then forgive myself. Like knowing, Oceania Cruises misses port often.  I knew it, I booked it anyway, and the missed a port so it did not effect my cruise to bad. 

Up to this point, very few video reviews are out there about Explora Journey.  So hard to gain all the information we all might need from that.  Nice to hear good stuff and look forward to more information in the next many months. 

In spite of some blemishes we will be back for our 2nd EJ cruise in January. It's sort of like you don't stop loving someone or sonething just because they have one or a few zits. Right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Go to YouTube and look up the following: "gary bembridge cruise videos".

Thank you so much - I went to YouTube and entered Gary B but nothing came up 

• Like 1