Sadly now NCL has the worst entertainment of all major lines

I am Sapphire on NCL and it has been my cruise line to go for many years. But after my last two cruises on CLL where on the  Viva Beetlejuice was canceled on the last cruise before it was supposed to be over, and on the Breakaway where the only good show was Syd Normans with lines 45 minutes to an hour, I took my first cruise on Carnival in many years and really enjoyed their shows and music with small dance floors all over the ship. Have been reading that Royal Caribbean has great entertainment. Now NCL is substituting game shows that you need to pay to play, I am very sad. I am hoping that they will put on better options in 2025. I have booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise on the Pearl and will find read or play video games to amuse me but that is so yuck. 
 I know many people don’t care about the entertainment but lots of us do. Will I have to totally switch to other lines? NCL has a reputation of great entertainment but all that has changed 

• Like 8

Agreed. Going to go back to HAL. Even if it is just a piano I’ll be happy. 

Also, twice subjected to itinerary changes after final. 

Good by Cruise Next and Cruise First. Not worth it. 

• Like 3

We canceled our 1/2/25 Prima reservation awhile back and one big factor for us is lack of entertainment.  Only one major show on a 15 day cruise???  That was the "last straw" on top of all the itinerary changes.  Have booked our next 3 on other lines. Just one more NYC to Bermuda next month for us and only because we had 1K in FCC.  Also figured they can't drop the port since it's the only one, lol.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1st, as i've posted before, the available entertainment on ncl  doesnt even register on my richter scale when choosing one of their cruises. Most of the time i really dont care. we just got off the prima a few weeks ago, and "burn the floor" was amazing. while in all our prior cruises, we never considered syd norman's, this time we traveled with another couple who had been there previously and wanted us to join them. We went on 2 nights. The secret to avoid the lines, is to get there about one half hour early. we did this and got a table right in front of the stage. the band was so-so, not great,  but not bad for group of cruise ship entertainers. had I not gone, I dont think I would have missed anything. The 3rd night I passed.

My wife dragged me to the Price is Right, and I could not have been more bored. she yelled at me to show some excitement, but to no avail. A few years back we were on the Bliss and the shows were SIX and Jersey Boys. Six was amazing, and we walked out of Jersey Boys. Frankie Valli he ain't.

simply put ( and the opinion stated is strictly my own) I dont give a rat's tushie about the shows.

And travelling 2some, personally i would "NEVER" cancel my cruise due to lack of entertainment.

By the way, to try and add some credibility to this tirade, we have been on 30+ cruises with NCL,and the entertainment offered (or not) has never entered the equation.

But that's just me! to each his own

• Like 5

People cancelling cruises because they don't like the show onboard??? Unlikely. 

We were just on RCCL's newest ship and all they had production shows. Like Elements. It was good, but not a broadway show. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I go to Broadway or the West End (or even the Paramount in Seattle) for shows, I cruise to cruise. I wish every ship had dueling pianos, I'd be happy with every night otherwise I just look for live music which is almost always available on every ship. The Bliss has an amazing Beatles band from Argentina, unfortunately they lost they best musician prior to the last season but they are still pretty good. If the ship has a big production show great, but I can't imagine booking a cruise just for that or even having it affect my decision. 

• Like 3

I agree their entertainment has gone downhill with their cost cutting measures. I'm hoping they'll get enough negative feedback on surveys to realize that's a mistake.  It will probably take 2-3 years before we see a shift back to great shows.

• Like 2

I am currently on the Sky. The entertainment, to me, has been great. I am not into production shows, and I don't plan my cruises around them. The musicians on this ship have been awesome. The reason that I cruise is to get away from home and work. It is a break for me. I personally do not like Broadway shows so I guess I will continue to sail NCL. 

• Like 3

Entertainment isn't super important to me. I do appreciate it when there is nice stuff on offer though. I came off Star a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints of the entertainment there. (On the 14-day cruise I saw Band on the run and Paradis with the production cast [even though I have seen both before], a really entertaining juggler/comedian, a magic/contortionist show and a previous The Voice winner).

But it has been so-so on other ships and usually I don't go to this many shows. It's over a year before I board Sky, but so far there is no production cast show listed. It's port intensive so no big deal for me. But I do find it a bit odd. I love watching singing and dancing preformed by the talented production casts!

No way I'll go to any of the game shows! Not thrilled about Beatles tributes and similar either.

I'm sure I can have good time whatever entertainment is or isn't offered though!

• Like 3

I do not choose my cruise based on entertainment. However, I do not want to sit in my cabin watching the news channels and limited movies each night (and not even one baseball game).

Although poor entertainment each night will not make or break my cruise (as on our amazing Alaskan cruise (RCI); for each of the 7 nights it was really, really bad and lacking), great entertainment will definitely enhance my enjoyment of the overall experience.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....I've always enjoyed NCL entertainment.  Some shows are better than others (prefer Choir of Man and Million Dollar Quartet over Donna and Kinky Boots).  But, the Burn the Floor show is great.  Previously mentioned Syd Norman's (probably the best "smaller" shows at sea) and Cavern Club shows are great.

I'm really looking forward to the newly announced "PRINCE" show going into production.

The game shows don't speak to me, per se.  But, they are ALWAYS well attended by an enthusiastic crowd.  So, they appear to be a hit.

The musicians throughout the ships are all good.  It's hard to get me to one of the late night parties, but the last one I attended on the NCL Joy at Spice H20 was a great time.

I think it's a matter of taste.  Some of the shows I like, others didn't.  Shows I didn't like, others raved about.

Can't speak to Carnival.  It's been a few years since I sailed them, but nothing stuck out to me. Doesn't mean they were bad in any way, just weren't memorable.

I do like the shows in "270" on Royal.  But, the last two cruises I took there were some sort of equipment glitches that made those shows limited.

Go with what you like.  If NCL's entertainment doesn't do it for you, try another ship or another cruise line.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, brad0576 said:

Personally I prefer quality musicians throughout the ship in the atrium and lounges than a broadway-style show…. 

100% agree with this.  Our last several cruises have been on the larger, newer ships.  From 2018 forward the Prima is the smallest we have been on.  During this time we sailed on Epic, Joy, Bliss, Breakaway twice, Prima, and have Escape coming up in two months.   

It seems to us anyway that the quality of the musicians in the lounge areas has not been the same as it was on some of the cruises we had been on previously.  In the four years prior we had been on the Dawn, Jewel twice, and the Gem.  These smaller ships to my wife and I anyway it seemed that the lounge musicians were better.  

What we are not sure of if this is a function of cost cutting or the cruise ship experience that comes with sailing on a smaller ship.  May be time for us on our next cruise to go back to a smaller ship.  But we would have to give up some of the innovations that come with a larger ship.  Don't care about go carts or any of that nonsense but we would miss the Vibe, Observation Lounges's, the District Brew Houses's and Waterfront designs that are only available on larger ships.  Decisions, decisions.

We recently went to Las Vegas for a weekend.

We went to the Cirque de Solei (Mad Apple show) at MGM New York, New York. (all bookings are on line, BTW)

We went to the early show (7-ish) and got the 20% discount and went for the cheap seats (last 3 rows) and still spent $100 each. First section seats would have been over $200 each.

Like Choir of Man, they invite you to have a drink on stage before hand.  At $20-$25 per drink. 

There was little description about the show, just featured an off beat NY thing. (maybe?)

Well, it was a bit of this and a bit of that variety-comedy-rope swinging show.

It featured the typical Cirque de Solei acrobats swinging and soaring from rope above stage. 

The musicians were good, the singers better than most NCL singers. The dancers were good, but mainly used as side complements to the singers.

The first 3 "acts" were good with combined singing, dancing and acrobats.  The whole "your in NY City" vibe faded after the initial 2 songs.

It became worse as they switched to the "comedy" portion.  The comedienne wasn't very funny and went into attempted sex jokes (no listing for 18+ only) that insulted some people, who actually got up and left. (If this had been on a cruise, I would have left also)

Then another flying couples act that stopped after their first stunt. Then we waited.

"We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by"  For 5 minutes.

The next act was part comedian, who referenced the previous act that didn't happen.  And then got us into 8 minutes of....finger shadows.  Yes finger shadows, like your uncle Karl would do.

A slight reprieve of the not funny comedienne, then the magician, who needed audience participation.  He was actually funnier than the others, but he only did 3 tricks, and was way too drawn out.

By then I realized that most of the music was actually prerecorded, as the musicians had disappeared, but there was still music for the next rope swinging act.  Then the big double revolving hamster cage thingy.

When the band and singers reappeared for the final 10 minutes it was too late for me.   They sang a few more NY oriented songs, but only a bit from from each.

So it was basically 30 minutes of good entertainment spoiled by 50 minutes of low level probably not even cruise level entertainment.  Way too much swinging rope acts, not enough singing and music, and really poor comedy.   Timed out at 80 minutes.

Everyone applauded at the end, but no one was awed and demanding an encore, and it emptied out quickly.

$200 for 80 minutes, something like $2.50 per minute.  If we had the prime seats and had a drink each, it would have been close to $500. That is close to $6 per minute.  Like a NYC cab.

• Haha 1

If you are cruising for entertainment you are missing out. My wife and I see 2-3 NYC broadway shows a year. Nothing can beat them, not even close....with the exception of Vegas which we go to every 2-3 years, not to gamble but for the shows

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

We recently went to Las Vegas for a weekend.

We went to the Cirque de Solei (Mad Apple show) at MGM New York, New York. (all bookings are on line, BTW)

We went to the early show (7-ish) and got the 20% discount and went for the cheap seats (last 3 rows) and still spent $100 each. First section seats would have been over $200 each.

Like Choir of Man, they invite you to have a drink on stage before hand.  At $20-$25 per drink. 

There was little description about the show, just featured an off beat NY thing. (maybe?)

Well, it was a bit of this and a bit of that variety-comedy-rope swinging show.

It featured the typical Cirque de Solei acrobats swinging and soaring from rope above stage. 

The musicians were good, the singers better than most NCL singers. The dancers were good, but mainly used as side complements to the singers.

The first 3 "acts" were good with combined singing, dancing and acrobats.  The whole "your in NY City" vibe faded after the initial 2 songs.

It became worse as they switched to the "comedy" portion.  The comedienne wasn't very funny and went into attempted sex jokes (no listing for 18+ only) that insulted some people, who actually got up and left. (If this had been on a cruise, I would have left also)

Then another flying couples act that stopped after their first stunt. Then we waited.

"We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by"  For 5 minutes.

The next act was part comedian, who referenced the previous act that didn't happen.  And then got us into 8 minutes of....finger shadows.  Yes finger shadows, like your uncle Karl would do.

A slight reprieve of the not funny comedienne, then the magician, who needed audience participation.  He was actually funnier than the others, but he only did 3 tricks, and was way too drawn out.

By then I realized that most of the music was actually prerecorded, as the musicians had disappeared, but there was still music for the next rope swinging act.  Then the big double revolving hamster cage thingy.

When the band and singers reappeared for the final 10 minutes it was too late for me.   They sang a few more NY oriented songs, but only a bit from from each.

So it was basically 30 minutes of good entertainment spoiled by 50 minutes of low level probably not even cruise level entertainment.  Way too much swinging rope acts, not enough singing and music, and really poor comedy.   Timed out at 80 minutes.

Everyone applauded at the end, but no one was awed and demanding an encore, and it emptied out quickly.

$200 for 80 minutes, something like $2.50 per minute.  If we had the prime seats and had a drink each, it would have been close to $500. That is close to $6 per minute.  Like a NYC cab.

You need to go to Zombie Burlesque, its hysterical and cheap

• Like 1

We cruise to relax and see new places.  Very seldom do we go to the shows, when we spend busy days off the ship in ports we look forward to a nice relaxing evening which does not involve being entertained.  Of course that is just how we are and I understand others enjoy going to evening shows.  Never would I book a cruise for the entertainment on board.  

Entertainment is important to us and we pay attention when booking to see what's being offered and whether it's for us.

Our most recent sailing, on Getaway, may have been our favorite with regards to entertainment.

We did 10 days this past April and were thoroughly entertained.

MDQ and Broadway unplugged were fantastic!

We liked both comedians, one was really good.

Syd Normans.....so much fun! Rumours and the other shows. I didn't like the lines, but I got around that mostly too.

Music all over. Some good, some mediocre, but plenty for everyone.

Dueling pianos is a fun time, usually.

We had something to do always, in spite of the cutbacks.

And now, we're sailing Aqua next summer, and the list of entertainment there has me hopeful that it'll be just as enjoyable.

To each his own, I guess...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

We canceled our 1/2/25 Prima reservation awhile back and one big factor for us is lack of entertainment.  Only one major show on a 15 day cruise???  That was the "last straw" on top of all the itinerary changes.  Have booked our next 3 on other lines. Just one more NYC to Bermuda next month for us and only because we had 1K in FCC.  Also figured they can't drop the port since it's the only one, lol.

Don't be too surprised if they do.  They did it to us in February, 2023 on the Getaway.  When we got to the NYC pier they first told us that Bermuda was cancelled and that our only stop would be a stop in Nassau from 9pm to 2am because they had to stop somewhere foreign.

My next and last NCL cruise is on the Prima in December.  I was very disappointed when they cancelled Donna Summer and replaced her with Burn the Floor, which I have already seen twice.  Then they cancelled Bermuda for another sea day besides switching days of Tortola and St. Thomas. 

I seem to be in the minority of people who love the shows on cruises.  Last month we saw Saturday Night Fever and an ice skating show on RCI Liberty which was wonderful.  In February we will see Showgirls on Odyssey.  Next September there is Hairspray on Symphony.  These are just on ships out of NY where we don't have to fly to.  We have several others booked and all have production shows which we also like. 

I usually book cruises for the ports but lately we got tired of flying so we just look for other things to do in ports that we have already been to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

If you are cruising for entertainment you are missing out. My wife and I see 2-3 NYC broadway shows a year. Nothing can't beat them, not even close....

We live in New York City and agree with your opinion.  However, our taste in entertainment does not suddenly change when we board a ship.  It's not an "either/or" situation - we prefer Broadway style shows both on land and sea. 

• Like 3

Have never picked a cruise for the entertainment.  It is just something to do to fill a little time in the evening.  Usually the shows are decent and a way to spend an hour, but I would never consider seeing the abbreviated ship versions as really seeing the shows.  When I want to see a "broadway" show I see it on Broadway or the West End as that is the cast and production I want to see, not a watered down, at sea version.

I prefer back in the day when the ships had The Jean Anne Ryan Company on all their ships for productions shows. I also miss the Guest entertainers! seen some very funny comedians as well as Singers and Prop Comics. I havent been to a show in years, almost went to Footloose on the Joy but wasnt going to sit through an hour and a half performance.