These pics show a 15 degree list in relation to 30, 45 degree, etc.

GoodAsGold

If I remember correct ship will overturn before it gets to 45 degrees but hope someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Cruise ships are designed to right themselves after a 45 degree tilt. However, that assumes the hull has not been breached.

Back in the day we used to bring a protractor and tape it upside down on a shelf, tie some floss to it and a pen at the end of the floss for a weight so we could see what degree we were tilting back and forth. Nowadays you can just use a smartphone.

Fun fact: The ships are designed to be able to launch lifeboats up to a 20 degree list. Beyond that they can't launch opposite the side it is listing towards.

A 45 degree list and the Riviera deck oceanview cabins become under-ocean view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise ships are designed to right themselves after a 45 degree tilt. However, that assumes the hull has not been breached.

Not only a hull breach (think Concordia), but also "deck edge immersion" will affect the angle that the ship will recover from. This is the point at which the promenade deck touches the water, and water will start to flood into the ship. Uncontained water inside the ship will change the center of gravity into a movable point, which will change the stability of the ship and result in overturning.

I wonder what the maximum sustained list is where lifeboats could still be loaded and launched.

LIfeboats and liferafts must be capable of being launched at a 20* list (heel), or 15* trim (fore/aft).

Not all capsizing results in "turning turtle". Sometimes flooding can result in "neutral stability" where the ship will stay in any attitude it is placed in, so for example it could remain on its side.

Not only a hull breach (think Concordia), but also "deck edge immersion" will affect the angle that the ship will recover from. This is the point at which the promenade deck touches the water, and water will start to flood into the ship. Uncontained water inside the ship will change the center of gravity into a movable point, which will change the stability of the ship and result in overturning.

LIfeboats and liferafts must be capable of being launched at a 20* list (heel), or 15* trim (fore/aft).

Not all capsizing results in "turning turtle". Sometimes flooding can result in "neutral stability" where the ship will stay in any attitude it is placed in, so for example it could remain on its side.

Thanks for answering this for us.

Thanks Chief. Does that mean at a 20 degree list that boats on BOTH sides could still be loaded and launched? I don't want to assume. Not sure if my original question made that clear enough.

• 1 year later...

Just saw a news item about a ship listing 15 degrees and ended up here ...

I was on board SS Canberra on the Christmas cruise in 1986. A wave it us in the Bay of Biscay and, if I recall the captains log correctly, we listed 24 degrees on the hit and then 22 degrees the other way before stabilising. It was mayhem, many broken bones, people trapped in rooms (drawers opened blocking doors), and a general mess. I was playing monopoly with family and friends next to one of the dance floors on a high deck. Our youngest flew across the room towards the grand piano, which was sliding about. I remember adults just clinging to pillars with lots of screaming. I was 11 at the time.

Years later my brother was listening to the radio and an ex-officer was on the Danny Baker show, and described the event as the day they almost lost the SS Canberra.

So in short, a 24 degree list is a rather traumatic event!

Edited by ss.jon

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Xbow720 said:

Thanks this is very helpful for me and my family for when we go on future cruises and what to expect when your in the process of listing majorly or minorly.

This thread is from 16 years ago. 🤦‍♂️

I'll add to the ancient history.  If you look closely at the various "listing" ships, you'll see that as the ship lists more and more, more of the ship below the waterline is now above the waterline.  This would not be the case in reality, just in a depiction by someone using "cut and paste".  If you look at where the waterline is on the upright ship, at the centerline, and then rotate the ship around this point, you will see that before the ship reaches 45*, the main deck will submerge at the "down" side of the ship, and then water will enter the ship through the non-watertight doors there, and increase flooding, which will move the ship deeper into the water, allowing more to rush in through those doors, and so on.  The depictions of the listed ships allows for the weight of the ship to decrease while listing, which is not what happens, the ship weighs the same no matter what angle it lists at, so the waterline at the centerline (the sharp bow in the pictures) will always remain constant.

The 15* list depiction is accurate, the others, not so much, but they do illustrate the actual angles.  At 15*, you are walking in the corner between the deck and bulkhead, greater than that, and you have difficulty standing at all, if this is rolling and not a constant list.