***Live from the Pacific Princess***

T&J

Good Morning again from our morning game run this morning. I forgot to add that yesterday we also saw Vervet Monkeys, White Monkeys and Zebras as well. Also after lunch yesterday, the weather completely cleared up and it was sunny and mild with a temperature of 75F and no humidity or mosquitos either!

This mornings game run started at 6:15am and we immediately went out in the jungle and found cheetahs (a pair male/female) that came within 15 feet of our SUV. As well we saw Giraffes, more waterbuffalos, wart hogs and the best prize of the day was re-seeing the same pride of Lions that we saw yesterday afternoon walking on the dirt roads and followed us for quite a bit. They then turned around came within 10 feet of our SUV and I could have literally touched the Lion and Lioness that's how close we were. We also saw two more Black Rhino's, a Baboon and alas no more Elephants. However, the two we saw yesterday will be etched in my memories.

The weather today was overcast and very cool which made it the ideal day to hunt for cats as they were walking about a lot. Mid morning we stopped in an open filed area where Elephants normally pass thru and waited and had fresh coffee with Amarula and homemade cookies. Our game run this morning lasted 3.5 hours and we then returned to the Lodge for a hearty breakfast with cheeses, breads, cereals, fruits and fresh rangers omelette with sausage, potatoes and onions....what a feast and I am stuffed.

Just got back now from breakfast and packed and purchased some very unique articles and gifts from the gift shop here at the Lodge.

We will be boarding our chartered bus to take us this afternoon back and re-join the ship in Durban before 5:00pm.

I can only say, that with 100% certainty, Javier and I will be returning here very soon even if it doesn't involve a cruise that's how magestic it is here. A journey of a lifetime I must say of all of my travels in many years.

I would highly recommend to anyone to stay here at Phinda National Reserve. The hospitality, service and ambiance is outstanding.

I am looking forward to re-joining the ship later tonight and discussing it with my tablemates and showing my pictures of the Big 5.

More to follow later today after rejoin the Pacific Princess in Durban, South Africa.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Hi Tony,

We talked to the Future Cruise Director here on the Grand yesterday Sylvain (spelling) who said to say a big Hello to you. He was very helpful!! Hope you are having a good trip?

Curt :)

Give a warm hello to Sylvain and Natasha (Captain Circle Hostess) for me!

Tony

alas no more Elephants. However, the two we saw yesterday will be etched in my memories.

Those elephants are really elusive. Same thing happened to us on both safaris, but they eventually made an appearance just before we left.

I would highly recommend to anyone to stay here at Phinda National

Yeh, but they serve LAMB! :) Good to hear you're having a ball. Some day we too will go back.

Arlene

Tony

Arlene

......I can only say, that with 100% certainty, Javier and I will be returning here very soon even if it doesn't involve a cruise that's how magestic it is here. A journey of a lifetime I must say of all of my travels in many years.

I would highly recommend to anyone to stay here at Phinda National Reserve. The hospitality, service and ambiance is outstanding...................Tony

Tony,

Thanks again, Wow I love World Class Zoos & That Game Preserve is the

Real Thing.:) Got 227 Days booked & not a Single Day in that Area:mad:

I think some changes may be in the works;) I'm so glad you had a Great

Time:) MY Best! Bill

As we left the Game Reserve, we were met by 3 large adult Giraffes at the main gates and one didn't want to move.

Our departure from the Reserve was exactly at 11:30am and we took our private coach back to Durban with making some unscheduled stops along the way whihc were really appreciated by all.

We first stopped at Sheshluii and then at a womens cooperative for selling handicrafts and goods at Zamimpilo where I purchased some nice wire animals made of twirled wires in the shape of a Zebra and Elephant.

We then stopped at a rest stop half way to Durban and we were all given a bagged luncheon with water bottles. Our guide had announced that we would make our way into the City of Durban and she would give us a bus tour of the City which lasted approx. 45 minutes which was not part our paid tour.

This tour was the highlight of this trip for me; there is no doubt. Even though I am still fighting my cold I wouldn't have missed this tour for nothing!

We arrived at the ship at 4:30pm and we are set to sail from Durban at 6:00pm. The weather here in Durban today is overcast and damp and a high of 58F.

We have 2 more sea days before getting into Cape Town on October 13th.

I suspect it will be a quiet night onboard the ship as people did do one day safari's toady and yesterday.

More to follow later today from the Pacific Princess in Durban.....

Tony

Hi Tony.........Welcome "home." It's too quiet here without you. We tried our best to keep the thread active, but it's just not the same. ;)

Arlene

Thanks for keeping it active...I am back now!

Tony

Wow T you make it sound like this is not to be missed . Enjoy yourself this is problably a trip of a lifetime for some . :D

It really was a trip of a lifetime doing this overnight safari!!!

Tony

We'll we left 30 minutes late due to waiting for our pilot to embark. The ship is pitching a little right now so we must going thru the breakwaters or something???We have 2 days at sea ahead of us and this stretch has been known to be very rough waters...let's hope NOT!Going to get ready for dinner soon....More to follow later today from the Pacific Princess....Tony

keep your eyes open for whales..there are lots along the coast there between Durban and Cape Town.

Yes so I was told but it's night time and I've left my night vision gogles at home!...thanks I will tomorrow for sure...:)Tony

Wow Tony. . . you better keep those pictures with you on all cruises. I for one expect to see them on the Golden in January. Don't leave home without them please, please, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to plan a Safari.

Stacey

Hope everything's OK, since you didn't post after dinner. I assume computers are "kerplooey" again. Tomorrow........

Arlene

No the "author" is still fighting this cold thing and I took Thera Flu and went to BED!Tony

Wow Tony. . . you better keep those pictures with you on all cruises. I for one expect to see them on the Golden in January. Don't leave home without them please, please, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to plan a Safari.

Stacey

Stacey I will birn them on a CD and bring them on the Golden for sure!Tony

Good Morning from the coast line of South Africa...After dinner last night, I went straight to bed and took all the cold medication I could find and in the sack by 11:00pm....In the Dinning Room, that had made me Turkey Dinner for me since I missed it on the Menu when I was on the Overnight Safari...very nice of them!The Dinning Room last night was not full as I suspect a lot of people were very tired from a full day's tour/safaris......It also appeared after dinner that a lot people did call it an early night as well....I woke up this morning just before 6:00am and the sun is coming up or trying thru the cloud cover. We are sailing close to the South African coastline all night and will continue to do so until we arrive in Cape Town on Friday October 13th.Not much planned for me today except focus on getting rid of this cold/viral thing before I fly home on Friday!I guess I should look at packing some stuff and not leave it for the last minute as always....don't think I'll be going to the "Office" anymore or unless I feel better than this....I guess I will just have to walk away with there $$$$..Going to go for breakfast in 30 minutes time....More to follow later this morning from the Pacific Princess.....Tony

FYI....because we are so close to the shoreline, the ship is pitching and rolling a little more than usual... Also the sun is coming up if any of you would like to view it on the Cruise Cam and the weather is clearing as well.....I am going for my espressos and breakfast...More to follow later this morning from the Pacific Princess at sea enroute to Cape town.....Tony

We are sailing close to the South African coastline all night and will continue to do so until we arrive in Cape Town on Friday October 13th

Looks like a good day coming up Tony.Perhaps some whale watching today?

I fly home on Friday

Will you have time for a look around Capetown?Perhaps ride the cable car up Table Mountain?

714141540_001pa_bridgetoCptwn.jpg.8617ed07c9e2cc92695de721abdb939b.jpg

We were with Tony on the safari and I want to reiterate his description of Phinda - it was fantastic. If anything he was too modest. I'm not sure how I could rank what we saw, but let me give a little peek of how spectacular it was. Tony described the pride of lions at the watering hole - 1 dominant male, 1 dominant female, 2 juvenile males and 3 juvenile females. While we were sitting there they moved from one position to another. While doing so the completely went around our Land Cruiser. The dominant male was no more that three arm lengths from me, and as he walked past us he plopped himself down directly behind us where we had created a shadow with the vehicle. Eventually they sat on a small hillside above the water. Shortly afterwards a two white rhinos (mother and son) came to the water to drink - very cautiously. As our ranger Chris described it, the lions would not attack the mother as she was too large. The son was much more wary of the lions, but the mother actually drank with her back to the lions. After they both drank they moved closer to the lions. I have pictures of the lions and rhinos together, probably about 10 or 15 yards from each other. After a few minutes of looking at each other, the rhinos took off. This was definitely a "wow" moment.

The game reserve is privately owned and half of the ownership is the Getty family (there was a small group of family representatives there with us). The company name is Conservation Corporation of Africa and they now have 43 lodges in Africa and India. If this is any indication, we'll be back too - either at Phinda or one of their other properties.

Jim

Looks like a good day coming up Tony.Perhaps some whale watching today?

Will you have time for a look around Capetown?Perhaps ride the cable car up Table Mountain?

David no whale sighting thus far today....My flight is at 11:30am on Friday so I won't have time to do anything except go directly to the airport.

Tony

Archived