Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

If it's about Reyno not being concierge of the DL for long....as the notification indicated. It's really not worth the drama. Most of us are not as keenly attuned to personnel changes as some seem to be. :D:rolleyes::)

[quote name='Coralc']If it's about Reyno not being concierge of the DL for long....as the notification indicated. It's really not worth the drama. Most of us are not as keenly attuned to personnel changes as some seem to be. :D:rolleyes::)[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Very few care at all about what crew is where and who the Captain will or will not be. VERY few. :rolleyes:

Now when Capts. Sindre and Claus leave RD....I'll go through the darn roof and find a new ship. ;) And when I find out about it, you can be sure I'll let someone else bring it up. :p

Gina

Someone else has already posted the expected date of Reyno's return to Enchantment - at the concierge thread. I certainly did not have the exact details. I was scolded for even mentioning it. :rolleyes:

Who is going where and when is a regular part of cruise critic discussions. For some reason, when it concerned Reyno, it was turned into some sort of huge issue. Unnecessarily so.

People like to know what to expect on their upcoming cruises. Now, thanks to another poster, they have an idea of when their beloved Reyno will return to Enchantment to take up the position he held there and apparently still does on paper.

Gina

I wanted this wonderful review incorporated into this thread in case it was overlooked on the main boards. This is a review written by someone off the June 10th cruise which was the first cruise after dry dock. Jen's pictures are incredible.

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434211"]Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance[/URL]

My husband and I just got off the revitalized Radiance of the Seas yesterday. Ship is gorgeous and looks brand new. We tried the new Samba Grill and it was excellent. On another night we ate dinner at Giovanni's Table and it was also excellent. I did not experience or notice any evidence of the former plumbing problems that have been frequently mentioned, but I obviously did not have an opportunity to observe every part of the ship. We had a corner aft junior suite on Deck 10 and did not hear any noise from the public area above it.

[quote name='Bridge Maven']My husband and I just got off the revitalized Radiance of the Seas yesterday. Ship is gorgeous and looks brand new. We tried the new Samba Grill and it was excellent. On another night we ate dinner at Giovanni's Table and it was also excellent. I did not experience or notice any evidence of the former plumbing problems that have been frequently mentioned, but I obviously did not have an opportunity to observe every part of the ship. We had a corner aft junior suite on Deck 10 and did not hear any noise from the public area above it.[/quote]
Thanks so much. :) I am sure everyone will appreciate the feedback.

Got off the Radiance OTS last Friday am (6-17-11 southbound). Here are my impressions of the ship for all you Radiance fans. Was very much looking forward to seeing this ship inside and out after her "revitalization" during a three week drydock. I must say that I am, overall, disappointed. Cruised on the Jewel a few years back and did have something to compare her to. First let me say that the crew on this ship is outstanding - have cruised with RCI many times and this was hands down the best crew we have ever experienced on any ship. From our stateroom attendant to the staff in the MDR and Windjammer to the Guest Relations desk, not one of them could have been any nicer or more helpful and always with a smile. The only exception was the cruise director - Keith, I believe; he was okay (certainly no Graham Seymour).

Our stateroom was certainly not overhauled (7th floor on the hump) except for the new flat screen television. Perhaps the sink and tile backsplash in the bathroom were new or fairly new, but certainly not the floor (old and worn) or shower (yes, the plastic shower curtains are still there - thanks for the tips on the clothespins). Our mattress (which we fondly referred to as "the rack") was as hard as a rock (the mattress in my parents stateroom, an accessible stateroom just forward of the hump was extremely soft - much much too soft, especially for two elderly somewhat handicapped cruisers). Did have plumbing problems during this cruise - on two different occasions (that we know of) the toilets didn't work. Both times I called and was told the plumbing was being worked on and would be back in service "soon". Both times, it was. Also noticed plenty of sewerage smells in the hallways. Did not see any fans going in the hallways, however, which is a good thing.

First impression upon boarding was that all of the glass on the outside of the ship was dirty. We had boarded very early in the day and since we weren't sailing until 9 pm, didn't really give it another thought until the next day, trying to see out of dirty windows and balcony glass everywhere. Started looking in corners, etc., everywhere we went and this ship certainly didn't receive a good scrubbing down during this drydock before, during or after all of the work was finished.

It is IMHO that this ship "revitalization" was mostly about adding more upcharge restaurants. We went to Chops Grille on the second night and enjoyed it thoroughly - food and service were excellent. Our MDR tablemates tried the new Giovanni's Table and Samba Grille and said that both were very good. My DH and myself tried the new Park Cafe in the Solarium for a snack one afternoon after an excursion and liked it very much, but the addition of this venue in the Solarium (which is no where near as pretty as the Solarium on the Jewel OTS, IMO) has effectively ruined the warm and tropical solitude of same. It was constantly busy with people eating and talking at every table. It would appear that the anytime coffee station that used to be near the windjammer is now what is also in the Solarium. On this Alaskan cruise with very cool temps, the constant opening and closing of the doors forward and aft even made it a chilly space. Didn't try Rita's Cantina (very cold-open to the outside at the back)or Izumi, but the addition of these two venues has taken away some of the seating room in the Windjammer. The Windjammer no longer has afternoon snacks (or tea). It now closes after lunch at 3 pm, I believe. The Boardwalk Dog House has a few very interesting choices and of the three I tried, two were quite good, but all you can get in this area is your hot dog or sausage and self-serve ice cream (or frozen yogurt, I can't remember which. I don't believe they even offer anything to drink at all.

And finally, yes, the neon lights are in the centrum. Not my cup of tea, but they aren't too too garish either.

i concur with dreamer some items were left undone and dirty inwas in a gs and the glass on balcony was filthy and spotted with paint,some bathroom fixtures were loose and in need of repair,only experianced the toilets not working 1 time,the windjammer was very crowded,the thermal suite was in need of a lot of repairs,the outdoor tv is great but it is for warmer climates to cold in alaska no one was watching

i have been on all the radiance ships and love them

the crew was great

the food was rcl good

tried ritas and the chips are to die for

overall we had a great cruise i was just a little disappointed and let down i guess i expected more after a 21 day drydock

I love the Radiance and have sailed her many times but the more I read the sadder I get! I loved the Seaview Cafe All the glass and her size made me feel like cruising should be. I just hate the adding of more cabins and for pay eating venues W/O adding seating capacity to the MDR, Windjammer, and theater, etc. Do us a favor and quite messing up a good ship and spend mre $$ on regular maint. of a fine ship.

I love the Radiance and have sailed her many times but the more I read the sadder I get! I loved the Seaview Cafe All the glass and her size made me feel like cruising should be. I just hate the adding of more cabins and for pay eating venues W/O adding seating capacity to the MDR, Windjammer, and theater, etc. Do us a favor and quite messing up a good ship and spend mre $$ on regular maint. of a fine ship.

I couldn't agree more--extra pay restaurants but less seating in the Windjammer and the same old yukky shower curtains. We've cruised on the Radiance many times also and I am very disappointed to read what hasn't been fixed and then read about the millions spent on the new restaurants. The addition of flat screen TVs is extremely minor for us--we rarely ever have the TV on. Although we cruise for the ports, from now on we will be looking closely at other RCL ships and well as other ship lines for our cruises. At least on the Jewel and the Brillance they have the plexiglas shower doors.

Linda (and C. D.)

I couldn't agree more--extra pay restaurants but less seating in the Windjammer and the same old yukky shower curtains. We've cruised on the Radiance many times also and I am very disappointed to read what hasn't been fixed and then read about the millions spent on the new restaurants. The addition of flat screen TVs is extremely minor for us--we rarely ever have the TV on. Although we cruise for the ports, from now on we will be looking closely at other RCL ships and well as other ship lines for our cruises. At least on the Jewel and the Brillance they have the plexiglas shower doors.

Linda (and C. D.)

I think that you have hit on one of the biggest differences between ships, the shower doors. I really hate the curtains.

Linda (and C. D.)

Serenade also has shower doors. And it still has a seaview cafe. :)

Like you, I rarely turn on the TV. I had hoped the flat screens would leave more counter space but apparently they boxed in the area behind the new TVs making that space unusable. I wouldn't have minded storing my bottles of water back there, out of the way but easily accessible. Oh well.

At least they fixed the dent on the front of Radiance. :rolleyes:

Gina

There was a rumor that wireless access would be added to all Radiance rooms during drydock - can anyone confirm if it really happened?

Here they are installing the wiring that goes down the hall for the wireless access in the staterooms. The picture was taken in April. They began pulling the wires during the last 2 cruises of Radiance prior to dry dock.

DSC01590.jpg

In case anyone is curious, this is the company that installed the wireless on the ship. http://www.wgc-usa.com/

Gina

Here they are installing the wiring that goes down the hall for the wireless access in the staterooms. The picture was taken in April. They began pulling the wires during the last 2 cruises of Radiance prior to dry dock.

DSC01590.jpg

In case anyone is curious, this is the company that installed the wireless on the ship. http://www.wgc-usa.com/

Gina

On our PC cruise, we ended up having to call 911 when we found one of the workers on the floor outside our cabin having a seizure. We never did find out if it was a medical problem or if he somehow got shocked while working in the ceiling.

On our PC cruise, we ended up having to call 911 when we found one of the workers on the floor outside our cabin having a seizure. We never did find out if it was a medical problem or if he somehow got shocked while working in the ceiling.

Gosh, the things we find out 2 months later! We only heard one ALPHA, that must of been it.

Gosh, the things we find out 2 months later! We only heard one ALPHA, that must of been it.

I was not overly impressed with their response. We were on the hump and they responded to the alpha by first going all the way to the end of the hall. We had to "call them over". I know due to privacy issues, that the outcome is none of my business, but it always bothers me a little to not know how it turned out.

I was not overly impressed with their response. We were on the hump and they responded to the alpha by first going all the way to the end of the hall. We had to "call them over". I know due to privacy issues, that the outcome is none of my business, but it always bothers me a little to not know how it turned out.

I think we all need to go back onboard to find out if he is ok .. and to check out the "revitalization" :D

I loved the Seaview Cafe

I think that goes for all of us...but I did enjoy seeing the new Samba Grill as pictured in a current Radiance review by jennat. Here's a look at the Samba Grill (I hope Jen doesn't mind, and be sure to check out her wonderful and entertaining review if you haven't already!).

The Samba Grill is a Brazilian steakhouse.

IMG_1534.jpg

Here is the same photo you have seen but in context. I think this had the best view in the whole ship that wasn't outside.....we saw porpoises while we were there. BTW that is a hard word to spell.

you start with the salad and appetizer bar which was awesome. They then bring out potato wedges and veggies (thought the potato wedges were an odd choice with all that meat. Don't know why I thought that....just did)

My hubby really liked this place. I thought it was fine. Seems to be a theme with me. I think maybe I am persnickety.....

IMG_1531.jpg

outside the Samba grill

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

DSC08861.jpg

Inside the Samba Grill

Archived