Eurodam is taking shape

Copper10-8

Oh yeah, I saw it after work!! What a great game! France is next on Friday!;) Did you read all the reactions in the Telegraaf?http://www.telesport.nl/voetbal/ek_2008/4194289/_Oranje_overklast_Italie__.html?pageNumber=7

I think all firstpages of the newspapers have an orange colour today...We will keep our fingers croseed for Firday.

Greetings Stephen and Ruth -- I just discovered this LONG discussion of the Eurodam and your problems with the paint -- very sneaky of them. Would still love to try the old SAGA after talking with you -- it would be fun but not time enough in the next year. We take our "pseudo" family of 8 on their final graduation trip -- 2 girls this time -- but will be on the Zuiderdam which doesn't thrill me. My bad knees don't like the VISTA ships but think the kids will enjoy variety. Your marvelous book is still enjoyed by all while sitting on our coffee table and we did so enjoy our many visits on the Veendam last FALL. Bob really enjoyed your mornings in the Neptune. It will be fun to see Venice again and will end up in Barcelona so something new for the others.

Smooth Sailing and do keep your schedule available from time to time!!

Elinor and Bob

Hello all

I follow since long time this thread and also the http://www.eurodamnews.com news bloc.

I must admit, that especially the published pictures shows me a remarkable derivation from Cruise Vessel interior and ambiance, into an Art Deco appearance.

This initiates me to make a comment about almost all latest new vessels on the marked. If I see all those publicized pictures, I must admit, that I do not like what I see.

Because if I compare the interior on the old MS NOORDAM or the actual MS PRINSENDAM, and then the MS EURODAM (or other new-builds), then those latest vessels are much to "Design" then stunning for me.

But the interior of the old vessel I would also not exactly copy.

It‘s just somewhere between I would place the furniture, lounges, bars and so on.

Actually, the today given ambiance by this deco products is for me too much colored, more plastic and cold, then classic (even if it is wood, or other expensive stuff).

I do not feel myself home in those too much designer style products.

And another adds on those new vessels do alienate me.

I do have strong doubts, that one really need on a cruise ship such kind of thinks like an ice-arena, an boxing-ring, roller-skates, and other gadgets in this directions.:eek:

But if one could bring back i.e. an entitled Crows Nest Band with those marvelous Filipinos Dance Orchestras who play in the Crows Nest with feeling and pleasure, then one do for me a much better job…..:)

Happy cruising to everybody

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

=>> MS Noordam, September 16 2009

event.png

This initiates me to make a comment about almost all latest new vessels on the marked. If I see all those publicized pictures, I must admit, that I do not like what I see.

Because if I compare the interior on the old MS NOORDAM or the actual MS PRINSENDAM, and then the MS EURODAM (or other new-builds), then those latest vessels are much to "Design" then stunning for me.

But the interior of the old vessel I would also not exactly copy.

It‘s just somewhere between I would place the furniture, lounges, bars and so on.

Actually, the today given ambiance by this deco products is for me too much colored, more plastic and cold, then classic (even if it is wood, or other expensive stuff).

I do not feel myself home in those too much designer style products.

And another adds on those new vessels do alienate me.

I do have strong doubts, that one really need on a cruise ship such kind of thinks like an ice-arena, an boxing-ring, roller-skates, and other gadgets in this directions.:eek:

But if one could bring back i.e. an entitled Crows Nest Band with those marvelous Filipinos Dance Orchestras who play in the Crows Nest with feeling and pleasure, then one do for me a much better job…..:)

Returning to the topic of this thread, I agree with many of your observations. I'll wait until I'm onboard to decide about the ship's decor. It can be hard to get a real feel until everything is in place.

However, I'm less than impressed by the computer images of the cabin decor. Way too stark for me. Frankly, it reminds me of a budget motel (say a Motel 6). I like Art Deco, but I'm not getting that feel - just an inexpensive look (though I'm sure it isn't :rolleyes: )

Oh, I meant to compliment you on your excellent English.

Returning to the topic of this thread, I agree with many of your observations. I'll wait until I'm onboard to decide about the ship's decor. It can be hard to get a real feel until everything is in place.

However, I'm less than impressed by the computer images of the cabin decor. Way too stark for me. Frankly, it reminds me of a budget motel (say a Motel 6). I like Art Deco, but I'm not getting that feel - just an inexpensive look (though I'm sure it isn't :rolleyes: )

Oh, I meant to compliment you on your excellent English.

I guess it's all down to our personal tastes - I love the look of the cabins and am excited about seeing them in October when we sail on her. I hope you will find that they are luxuriously comfortable, even though they have a look of a cheap hotel. In the UK, that sort of design is cutting edge and features in a lot of our 5 star hotels. We recently sailed on the Independence of the Seas and their cabins were of a similar design, but were beautiful. The rest of the ship was not in a contemporary design and it was tacky, over the top and fake. Nothing quite like seeing her in the flesh though - can't wait to sail on her. Sue

Like Mary Ellen, my initial reaction to the new decor was also stark. But it has grown on me. Sue is right about the European hotels. I entered a Hilton room and was taken aback by the stark white linens and gray carpet. There was a bit of light wood, but virtually no other color except for a painting. But it was really quite nice once I studied it a while.

It can be very difficult to get a "feel" for the stateroom appointments based solely upon computer-generated images of design concepts. I actually like some aspects of those appointments, while disliking others. I'm going to withhold judgment until I actually see them, in-person, and experience them. My first impression was that they were going to be sterile and cold, not warm and inviting. But, I don't think that cold and un-inviting is HAL's objective, so I'll "wait and see."

I hope to have sample photos up in 3 weeks and a few days. :)

The ship is going to be "baptized"!!!!! :D

I got a great big grin out of this translation of the announcement that the queen will be "baptizing" the Eurodam! :D

Queen Beatrix Announces She’s Going to Be a Godmother

Roland | June 10, 2008 at 9:56 am | In Inaugural, Latest News | No Comments

Alert blog reader Ben van Zeijl tells us that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands has announced that she will be serving as Eurodam’s godmother on her official Web site. Check it out here.

For those who don’t read Dutch, here’s an online translation of the Web site:

Queen Baptises Cruising Ship ms Eurodam, 1 July 2008

Her Majesty the queen baptises Tuesday, 1 July, in Rotterdam cruising ship ms Eurodam, the newest ship of the Netherlands America Line.

For the baptism, the Eurodam lies moored at the cruising terminal in Rotterdam.

The ship is 285 meters long, 32.2 meter wide and offers place to 2,104 passengers and 929 crew members. To border are themselves restaurants among others several, within and entertainment spaces, a cinema and a theater. The Eurodam has Rotterdam as a thuishaven.

The Netherlands America Line has been established in 1873, as the Nederlandsch Amerikaansche Steam Ship society (NASM). With the head office in Rotterdam and with services to America the shipping company was already confessed rapidly as a Netherlands America Line. The organization is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, in the United States.

Online translation utilities are great, but they sometimes produce funny mental images as a result! :)

I don't think I've ever baptized a baby by cracking a bottle of Dom Pérignon over it's head!!!! :D ;) And, I don't think the Queen will be "baptizing" the Eurodam with water and by neither sprinkling nor pouring! AND, we sure don't want her to ever be baptized by full immersion!!! :D

The ship is going to be "baptized"!!!!! :D

I got a great big grin out of this translation of the announcement that the queen will be "baptizing" the Eurodam! :D

In dutch the "dedication" of ships is called "Doop", the exact translation is indeed baptizing...

The latest pictures today on the Eurodam blog show the Queen's Lounge seats--they appear to be movie theatre style seats as it looks like they have arms. I guess we will find out for sure in about 3 weeks!

The latest pictures today on the Eurodam blog show the Queen's Lounge seats--they appear to be movie theatre style seats as it looks like they have arms. I guess we will find out for sure in about 3 weeks!
I don't think you meant to say the Queen's Lounge (and Culinary Arts Center). The picture I see is of the main show lounge, which HAL is apparently calling The Mainstage.

I shall be on the Eurodam on 28th June for a look round and lunch. It will be so interesting to view the ship in advance of it having fare paying guests. I become a fare paying guest myself on this ship on 25th April 2009.

Hi Paul:

Please do me a favor, after you have lunch on June 28th...stop

over on the Eurodam Roll Call and let us know what you thought of the ship. We're on the same cruise with you..April 25, 2009. Thanks,

Barb and Bob

It can be very difficult to get a "feel" for the stateroom appointments based solely upon computer-generated images of design concepts. I actually like some aspects of those appointments, while disliking others. I'm going to withhold judgment until I actually see them, in-person, and experience them. My first impression was that they were going to be sterile and cold, not warm and inviting. But, I don't think that cold and un-inviting is HAL's objective, so I'll "wait and see."

I hope to have sample photos up in 3 weeks and a few days. :)

Remember that there are thousands of us waiting for your "live from" threads and reviews!!! We can't wait to get the skinny on the new ship!

With all of you Cruise Critic celebrities on board, they should be great! I've never seen so many 5,000 post members on one cruise!

Thanks, in advance!

:)

Remember that there are thousands of us waiting for your "live from" threads and reviews!!! We can't wait to get the skinny on the new ship!

With all of you Cruise Critic celebrities on board, they should be great! I've never seen so many 5,000 post members on one cruise!

Thanks, in advance!

:)

Thank you so much for your kind words. My plan is to post several sample photos of cabins and lounges before the end of the Prelude cruise. Not the large-spread photo galleries ... just a few shots of each of the cabins I can access plus some of the main lounges. I also intend to write up some initial impressions of the decor, etc.

Very interesting! Language is an amazing study!

Here's the funny part "Doop" in Dutch is pronounced "Dope" and not "Dupe" - "Het schip word gedoopt door de Koningin" = "The ship is being baptised by the Queen"

jtl513--thanks for the correction! I forgot that on the Vista's (and now the Signature class) the Queens Lounge refers to the multi-purpose venue. :)

Don't feel bad, Bill - I'm going to have a tough time remembering that it's called Mainstage (sounds like something from an old NCL ship) rather than Vista, Rotterdam, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, etc...

Re: Decor

It kinda reminds me of the Hotel Max in Seattle - I wonder if the decorators are the same?

Hi Paul:

Please do me a favor, after you have lunch on June 28th...stop

over on the Eurodam Roll Call and let us know what you thought of the ship. We're on the same cruise with you..April 25, 2009. Thanks,

Barb and Bob

Okay Barb and Bob....will do.

Paul

Lol - Thanks Brian - that image is going to haunt me throughout my cruise now :D

LOL.......I must say Brian you may now have started something. I wonder how soon it will be before your description of the ceiling becomes folklore on the Eurodam?

Paul

Archived