Charging for the adults only pool area?!

mlbcruiser

Just wondering how others feel about Princess assessing a $15 per day charge for use of the adults only outdoor pool area (and perhaps maybe Carnival next, as they are trying this out)? Personally, I think it stinks! But the way so many cruisers have taken to paying extra fees for things that were so often included in a normal cruise, I guess this, too, will become an industry standard. I hate to see it, though. I just feel this is going too far.

Just wondering how others feel about Princess assessing a $15 per day charge for use of the adults only outdoor pool area (and perhaps maybe Carnival next, as they are trying this out)? Personally, I think it stinks! But the way so many cruisers have taken to paying extra fees for things that were so often included in a normal cruise, I guess this, too, will become an industry standard. I hate to see it, though. I just feel this is going too far.

Is that the indoor "spa pool" they are charging for? you still have access to the outdoor pool, but I think a few of the Princess ships charge for the inside pool. I too don't like they extra fee! Like the coffee and soda cards... it's just another way to nickle and dime the guests!

PS... Celebrity doesn't charge extra for their inside pool.

Is that the indoor "spa pool" they are charging for? you still have access to the outdoor pool, but I think a few of the Princess ships charge for the inside pool. I too don't like they extra fee! Like the coffee and soda cards... it's just another way to nickle and dime the guests!

PS... Celebrity doesn't charge extra for their inside pool.

Is that the Sanctuary Pool that Princess PR has been pushing?

Geez, X doesn't charge for the AquaSpa and RCI doesn't charge for the Solarium. And they have padded loungers as well.:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Unless things have drastically changed (and I'm sure we would hear from those that have sailed recently if they did), the sanctuary/spa pool has NO charge. You get into it by going up next to where you walk into the (fee charged) sanctuary, but walk down the stairs right before you walk into the fee area. Many people think this pool is part of the fee area, so it stays quiet, but it's a very nice free area.

If you take the ship's tour, you'll get to walk into the sanctuary, and they'll show you all that the area offers. They originally had it free, but it was overwhelmed with adults seeking "sanctuary" from the noise, so resorted to a fee. I wish they had gone a little cheaper - enough to not overwhelm it, but cheaper than $15, but I'll find my quiet elsewhere anyway. However, I have heard that it's a nice area.

As far as I know, NO Princess ship charges for any of the pools. Anyone been there and know differently? I've only been on a couple, and could be wrong.

You're referring to The Sanctuary. It's for the area ABOVE the Lotus Spa pool, not the pool.

It's a very nice quiet respite from the other pool areas.

When we sailed on the Crown in May it was open from 8am until 5:30pm, it was divided into two sessions - 8am-12:30pm and 1pm-5:30pm.

You are given a pass to come and go as you pleased, there are staff members to take care of anything you need and you can also have some spa services up there as they have a couple of treatment rooms.

There are loungers (with fabulous 3 inch cushions) out in sun and the others are under the "dome", but the sun does peak through. They will take you in and let you choose your lounger (I can't begin to tell you how comfortable they are). The loungers along the outside can be turned to face the sea...ahhhh. There are also big comfortable chairs if you are in the sun and want to take a break in a shady area.

The spa pool is just downstairs and sometimes the folks got a little rowdy down there which kind of takes away from the lovely ambience there, but oh well.

The food there is awesome - I actually took pictures of the menu - but you could go to Horizon Court or the Grill and bring back anything you wanted.

I have pictures in my Crown album, we found it to be a wonderful "extra."

In May on the Crown there was no charge to use the pool located forward outside of the Lotus Spa. The charge was for the Sanctuary area located just above the pool area.

In my opinion by looking at the pictures, I would not like it. There is very little sun that pokes through, and it looks like it is too far from the pool. Do they have this on the Princess Caribbean?

Sharon, I see that you have been on many cruises. What itinerary was your all-time favorite?

I find it strange that you get MUTS, sailaway music, and lots of other noise for no extra charge. But if you want quiet, you pay $15 for one half day? I can't figure that out.

Because too many people want to be in the Sanctuary so they had to charge... Frankly I actually welcome the charge and plan to enjoy on my upcoming Emerald voyage......

There just are too few "adult" places in the world today:mad:

CuriousCat

In my opinion by looking at the pictures, I would not like it. There is very little sun that pokes through, and it looks like it is too far from the pool. Do they have this on the Princess Caribbean?

Sharon, I see that you have been on many cruises. What itinerary was your all-time favorite?

DeRon,

I have heard that when the CB emerges from dry dock next May she will have The Sanctuary as well as some of the others features of the Crown and Emerald (the International Cafe and Vines for instance).

BTW there were plenty of loungers out in the sun, I just preferred to be under the dome so that's what I took pictures of. ;)

As for my favorite itinerary, I like the longer cruises and I would have to say that the Grand Med in 1999 which went from Barcelona to Istanbul, followed very closely by the Baltic last year are my two favorites. I'd do either one of those again in a heart beat.:)

CruiseDiva, I loved, loved, loved your photos!

While I am not thrilled about the extra $15 charge, the Sanctuary looks like a very relaxing place to spend a half a day... and I wouldn't mind trying it.

I know they sell "passes" for half-days. If I want to go only in the afternoon, do I buy my pass first thing in the morning just to secure a spot? Just wondering how it all works...

CruiseDiva, I loved, loved, loved your photos!

While I am not thrilled about the extra $15 charge, the Sanctuary looks like a very relaxing place to spend a half a day... and I wouldn't mind trying it.

I know they sell "passes" for half-days. If I want to go only in the afternoon, do I buy my pass first thing in the morning just to secure a spot? Just wondering how it all works...

Thanks Karen_g, ;)

That was my least favorite part of the Sanctuary when we sailed in May, we had to go and queue for the afternoon "session" - you couldn't reserve it in advance.:cool: We went upstairs about 12:45 and they wouldn't seat the afternoon people until exactly 1pm. Still, we loved every quiet, relaxing, pampered moment of it.

All I know is what I read the other day - it may have been in cruising magazine or on this board perhaps. Whatever - it was a fairly new charge. They mentioned Carnival was trying it out. I do think the Emerald P. was mentioned as having it.

We were on Celebrity's Galaxy summer of '06 on an E. Med. cruise. Since we were diamond members w/RCI, we were allowed to use the thalassotherapy pool for free. I know for others it was $15/day to use that area or one could buy a spa pass for the wk. for something like $100 (?). That is altogether different than what I understand this area on Princess and Carnival will be. I didn't think it had to do w/using a thalassotherapy pool or anything. It is the half day session thing and I still think it stinks.

It should be enough to have an adults only area and enforce it, and then the regular areas for kids or both kids and adults. C'mon! Anyone who has cruised much at all knows that on large ships you can usually find SOMEWHERE to chill away from the pool noise and kids. (We cruise mostly during spring break and still manage to do this when the mood strikes.) If you want to be alone, go on NCL and get one of those suites w/the little private yards and tiny pool up top! Pretty soon they will want to charge a fee for kids to use the H2O zone on RCI or the slides on Carnival, or the main pool, for that matter! Why not charge extra for the well located pool chairs? (Just like some airlines charging for window or aisle seats now!) It's starting to become like the olden days. There will definitely be a class difference on cruises in that half the things on the ship are of extra charge! Why don't they just keep the inside or regular outside cabin people on certain decks and call them steerage? Just my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

All I know is what I read the other day - it may have been in cruising magazine or on this board perhaps. Whatever - it was a fairly new charge. They mentioned Carnival was trying it out. I do think the Emerald P. was mentioned as having it.

Have you read the many responses stating that there is no charge for the pool area? The Sanctuary, which is separate carries a charge of $10 or $15 for a half day's use, and that includes spa snacks and fruit drinks that you would otherwise pay for. Originally it was to be a no-charge area but once the chair hogs got hold of it, no one could use it. The fee is really the result of the fact that people are greedy and don't have any consideration for others.

Does anyone know or recall if they offer you a "special" on embarkation day for Sanctuary? I seem to recall the offer for a week's pass, but only on the first day. Am I losing my mind? If there was such a pass, how does that work with the sessions?

Also, if you book a spa treatment, does that give you access to Sanctuary? I thought so... but I must have been too relaxed to remember the details..

We just got off the Crown 9/6 and there is NO charge for any pool. The Sanctuary is $10 per half a day and well worth it in my opinion. Spongerob has explained as to why there is a charge.

People do not follow rules, think it doesn't apply to them as" no children in the Sanctuary" This was enforced and a few mothers were annoyed when their daughters couldn't sit w/ them. I gladly paid the $10 for peace and quiet.

If you think you can always find a quiet spot and no kids then by all means, go for it and save your money.

We used it once as the sun was not on our side of the ship. Most of the time we had our balcony. DeRon, there is a sunny section, so no worries there!

:cool: There is a charge of $10 half day and $20 full day for the Sanctuary and am glad to report that it is a complete flop. No one is paying for what should be free in the first place. The Lotus Spa pool is free and favorite hang out for pool pigs. Get there early {before 8AM} and throw down a towel. This is shaded and therefore the coldest pool. Both Lotus, the Aft pools and hot tubs are for adults only. This is strictly enforced.

Someone posted they are happy to pay. They are a very small minority. Two pools are reserved for adults. The Headache MUTS pool is for screaming kids and those who stupidly brought screaming kids. The area called the Sanctuary must be removed and opened up for adults only. Princess needs a topless area and this behind a partition could be the place for it. Then they could charge $20, really make some profits, and everyone would be happy. As it stands now is is a completely unused area, waste of crew and an insult to those paying top dollar for a cruise.

Well Benny, it was not a flop on Crown last week as it was full when we went. It is incorported in both the Crown & Emerald. You had pretty get out you megaphone and tell Princess as they seem unaware of "your fact"

I doubt seriously that you will get your topless deck, although I'm sure many men would pay for it.

Why is it an insult for those paying top dollar? Don't use if you don't want to pay. You know this before you book, it's the same as the spa, pay as you go.

No adult pools,on our cruise were strictly enforced, read some reviews, haven't seen anywhere it says they have been.

Troll????

Archived