Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I feel so dense. I still don't get how the connecting cabin vestibule works. I need an overhead shot, I think.

I don't care how it works!! It's just so exciting so see real pictures...October 2009 can't come soon enough...

I just can't believe we all have waited so long and now to see pictures. This just gets better and better. We too hope we have a bed by the sliding door but if we don't we will still love this ship. A bigger bathroom is sure nice.

Pat

Well, the cabin next to you would be the opposite of yours, to fit together with the shape of the bump...One cabin would have the bed by the balcony door, the next would have the bed by the closet and so on.
You got it exactly right Puppy!

solsticecabins.jpg

I agree. It makes no sense to me either. It sure is exciting to see some real pics of our ship.

Oh, I know!!!

We are in a class with no adjoining rooms (AQ) but I hope we can organise a cabin crawl to see all the types of rooms.

You got it exactly right Puppy!

solsticecabins.jpg

He's very smart.

I don't get the doors to the connecting rooms either. Also is there a wall on the balcony? Is that just temporary? I can't wait until January 4th...

Between cabins, there's a wall that can eb retracted if you know your neighbours.

On the ocean side of the balcony, it will likely be glass. Those were cabin mock-ups they were on.

I'll be in the minority and voice my dislike of the beds. I'm 6'2", a left side sleeper, and I found my left foot kind of dangling off the rounded end of the bed when I was on the Century earleri this year. OK, so I moved closer to the mrs, but still, it's a little awkward.

I'll be in the minority and voice my dislike of the beds. I'm 6'2", a left side sleeper, and I found my left foot kind of dangling off the rounded end of the bed when I was on the Century earleri this year. OK, so I moved closer to the mrs, but still, it's a little awkward.

You should speak to your room attendant. Our friend is taller than you and the room attendant brought a bed extension, which goes at the top of the bed. It made his bed about 8 inches longer. This was on RCL but it might be possible on X as well.

I don't get the doors to the connecting rooms either.
Yes, the picture didn't help at all. Like Schplinky, I need an overhead schematic. I wasn't able to get one of the only 4 (out of 23 total) aft CC cabins that aren't connected, so I'm curious if the vestibule area is taken from the normal room area. It appears every Sunset Veranda cabin is connected.

I don't know which one I want!!!!
I know what you mean. There could be advantages to either layout. But, I'll be happy with whichever layout mine turns out to be. My guess is it will be the bed-by-the-balcony 'flavor'.

I feel so dense. I still don't get how the connecting cabin vestibule works. I need an overhead shot, I think.

Here's a similar situation, floor plans for Marriott timeshares (of which we own a couple of weeks).

http://www.timeshares.marriott-vacations.com/ownership/ebrochures/grandevista/villa-amenities.jsp?ref=yes

Click on the "Floor Plans" button on the right, then scroll down to the 3-bedroom unit. Along the right side of the 3-bedroom floor plan, you'll see the Vestibule (although a BIT bigger than it will be on Solstice). Think of it as an Entrance Foyer....

It's not the concept that is in question. It's more about 'Is the vestibule space being taken from the room space?'.

That remains to be seen. From what I can tell from these new photos depth of the vestibule is only as deep as the door, which is viewed in the open position.

For everyone else working to grasp the floor plan of the vestibule cabins, I'd say take a good look at the cabin side by side photo that is shown. Then imagine you are standing inside a small enclosed area right at that point of view that is a wide as the two cabins and as deep front to back as the open door into the vestibule, so at least 36". If the vestibule is in fact as wide as the width of the two adjoining cabins that's some extra storage space IMHO for suitcases or snorkel gear, etc.

If the actual cabin SF is reduced because of the vestibule, it might be picked up on the vestibule side.

We have to wait and see!

I know what you mean. There could be advantages to either layout. But, I'll be happy with whichever layout mine turns out to be. My guess is it will be the bed-by-the-balcony 'flavor'.

Hmm...If there is a curtain to separate the bed from the seating area (like on the Radiance class RCCL ships), I think I would prefer the bed by the window configuration. I tend to stay up later than Lee, this way I could use the desk and washroom without disturbing him in bed.

Though, the bed by the door configuration would give a nice big seating area by the balcony doors which would great loafing.

Win-win, I suppose.

Another thought that I haven't seen anyone mention. If the vestibule is the connection between cabins, meaning only connection, that would mean no door in the shared wall. I could then see a benefit.

Another thought that I haven't seen anyone mention. If the vestibule is the connection between cabins, meaning only connection, that would mean no door in the shared wall. I could then see a benefit.

As I understood it, you enter into a single door vestibule. From there a door to one cabin and a door to another. No longer a door inbetween two cabins, each cabin has a 'head door' and the commonalitly is the vestibule as the adjoinment mechanism.

As I understood it, you enter into a single door vestibule. From there a door to one cabin and a door to another. No longer a door inbetween two cabins, each cabin has a 'head door' and the commonalitly is the vestibule as the adjoinment mechanism.

That setup would save room as there would be only door to each cabin.:)

That setup would save room as there would be only door to each cabin.:)

Yes. The thinking was that for families that include Grandparents for example, there would be a level of privacy and own space when needed, and this method also eliminates the saturation of noise between the two cabins since noise is carried through openings in adjoined cabin scenario rather than through commonly thought thin walls. It also provides for full cabin features ratherthan eliminating much needed space for a doorway/door cut out.

Is it my imagination, or do the balconies have windows instead of being open to air?????? My worse fear may have been realized. With so many people falling/jumping from cruiseships, my husband said it would be a matter of time before they started enclosing the balconies. Does anybody else notice the Solstice photos look like the balconies are encased in windows???

Jo-Ann

Archived