Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Thank you so much for the Silk Harvest menu- and that they will be open for lunch. Based on that info, we'll do lunch there. I'm sure it will be great but it seems just fine for lunch - no reason to give up a night in the dining room. hooray!

Our thoughts exactly. We booked an AC cabin for the extra amenities and the nightly dining in Blu, so we don't want to give up an evening of dining there just to go to another specialty restaurant if we don't have to. Plus, I think enjoying Silk for lunch would be a great activity for on of those three sea days we'll be enjoying!:D

we've always done cc on celebrity because of the increase in cabin size and upgraded bedding, the early on/off is nice too! however, it looks like cc on solstice is the same size as all the regular balcony cabins, I wonder ( other than early on/off champagne, flowers(not very impressive flowers if you ask me) is it worth it to get cc on the solstice. We want aqua but it's sold out for the nov ta we want. The upgraded bedding is worth it to us, but I'm wondering, on a new ship, won't all the cabins have duvet, and pillow top mattresses? It seems pretty standard in most upscale hotels now, why not ships? I hate to pay extra if all I'm getting is a better showerhead,chamapgne and flowers! Thanks for any info you may have!

It's probably too early to see what the big differences will be - you are right, I think the room size is not an relevant on this ship. It does appear that the CC's have the best locations. The expanded breakfast menu is always a good selling point too, at least for us. We can't wait for the early reports from the first groups of cruisers.

with all the different choices & configurations it might be fun to organize a "cabin crawl" with the roll call group--I am going to suggest one for our 1/25/08 trip....we took a regular balcony cabin for one trip & a hump for our second one--still not sure if I would committ to AQ but probably would take that over CC at this point...depending on pricing..but will be fun to check everything out in person!

:D First off thnx Anne for all the info keep it comming as I mentioned in another posting cant seem to function in the real world with all the solstice buzz. Found this today What a ship.

http://meyerwerft.blogspot.com/

Hmmmm...not the most positive post. My rough translation widget has part of it stating:

"Still you are missing in many places the colour and are covered up it with foils and tarpaulins. The work does not run however on full speed and in such a way exists a doubt that the Celebrity Solstice will present itself on 10 August in its full beauty."

Hmmmm...not the most positive post. My rough translation widget has part of it stating:

"Still you are missing in many places the colour and are covered up it with foils and tarpaulins. The work does not run however on full speed and in such a way exists a doubt that the Celebrity Solstice will present itself on 10 August in its full beauty."

Hmmm. I wonder how much padding there is in the promo schedule? I just presumed the tarps were so that the balcony glass would not be damaged. When we watch the documentaries on ship building or renovation, I'm always really stunned at what chaos it looks just before it's done!

Wonder what August 10 refers to? Sea Trials? Isn't it being delivered in the autumn?

August 10th is the day that she will be floated out of the building dock and see the light of day for the first time. She will then remain at the outfitting pier until late September when she will transit down the river Ems to Emshaven or Emden, one of the two. In the process she will do sea trials and I believe delivery is scheduled for delivery around October 26th.

Hmmm. I wonder how much padding there is in the promo schedule? I just presumed the tarps were so that the balcony glass would not be damaged. When we watch the documentaries on ship building or renovation, I'm always really stunned at what chaos it looks just before it's done!

Wonder what August 10 refers to? Sea Trials? Isn't it being delivered in the autumn?

Hi, Lee!

Here's the link for the Solstice events schedule at Meyerwerft as Captain Rhone advised.

http://www.meyer-werft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=643

Bonnie

Google translated it as follows:

The work is in full swing, however, and there is no doubt that the Celebrity Solstice on 10

August

I'm thinking its still on schedule to float out.

Google translated it as follows:

The work is in full swing, however, and there is no doubt that the Celebrity Solstice on 10

August

I'm thinking its still on schedule to float out.

:o appologies folks wasnt thinking when I posted, since I live in two languages and somehow the picture was my mission, here is the translation.

Unimaginable but true, in but a few weeks celeb. Solstice, which still resembles an over dimensional building site and not a luxury cruise ship will leave the building dock. etc. etc. tarpaulins, paint,....... The work process is in full swing and without a doubt celeb Solstice will present itself in full splendour on the 10th Aug. etc. etc............ The ship will be in the fitting out dock for seven weeks.

hope this serves to dispell any further speculation. once again apol.

:o appologies folks wasnt thinking when I posted, since I live in two languages and somehow the picture was my mission, here is the translation.

Unimaginable but true, in but a few weeks celeb. Solstice, which still resembles an over dimensional building site and not a luxury cruise ship will leave the building dock. etc. etc. tarpaulins, paint,....... The work process is in full swing and without a doubt celeb Solstice will present itself in full splendour on the 10th Aug. etc. etc............ The ship will be in the fitting out dock for seven weeks.

hope this serves to dispell any further speculation. once again apol.

Is there a webcam that shows the fitting out dock?

HAVING JUST FRESHLY GOT OFF ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S LIBERTY OF THE SEAS

Which was Fabulous!!!! even with the crowds and locals from Miami

my concern is this yes Solstice looks a fab ship.... But !!!!are they going to compulsary charge very high Gratuitys at the End like Azamara because that snobbery totally put me off that cruise line.....

In these hard times people want value and while i appreciate Solstice will be Bellagio, Wynn like i do not expect to be ripped off with over inflated drink prices and charges because of it.... I can,t get any answers as of yet

.......views please regards janx

We don't find the drink prices or the gratuities exhorbitant (or out of line with other mass market cruises, for that matter). I don't think you could get a drink at Diisney World, much less Wynn or the Bellagio, for what Celebrity will be charging. While value is important, so is the level of service, and we find that we are always cheerful about tipping at the end of a cruise because we've been "swept off our feet" by the service. Certainly, there are cheaper cruises but I wouldn't confuse cheap with a good value.

There is NOTHING that gets me angrier than passengers complaining of tips on a cruise ship..NOTHING!!!! I would be banned from the boards if I ever said what I really think..Do not know what Azamara suggests for tips/gratuities, but the SUGGESTED amount is minimal compared to what you would have to pay at a fine restaurant on land for three meal a day total..

We have only on one cruise experienced poor service at our dining table..and very little respone from the Matire de.. this was not a seven day cruise...The people serving you basically make peanuts and live in conditions that you as a Floridian/American would not tolerate...and you begrudge your dining room waiter his tip for satisfying all your dining needs.. and oh yes.. how about the room steward that cleans up after you twice a day.. and maybe an extra $$ or two extra..We normally automatically put tips on our bill, but give our people what we feel is a generous ecxtra amount in an envelope. To give you a llitte bit of a hint. they get paid in $$$ and most are from Europe and when they get EUROS.. its much appreciated.. I would suggest strongly that people who rally against tips on a cruise ship.. go to L.V. and see what tips will cost you there..We cannot afford to cruise two or three times a year as many do..and a cruise is a big deal for us...so dont comment that we have lots of $$ to toss around..

Parrotmom, I would guess that if folks aren't tipping on ships, they're likely not going to tip in Vegas or anywhere. It's just easier not to feel guilty about it when it hasn't been the same person waiting on you hand and foot all week. On the other hand, gratuities on Celebrity are a couple of bucks cheaper on Celebrity than Azamara (and the same as RCL) so maybe the poster won't feel quite so "ripped off."

Hi All,

Just curious. Am I correct, Murano, Silk Harvest, Italian Restaurant are all specialty extra cost restaurants, right? Does anyone know yet the cost per person?

Also, when you see the balconys, how do we know if it has lounge seating, or as the Presimans photos showed, a chair and small ottoman? My husband has been spoiled with the loungers which were in the M class Aft cabins.

Thanks

Daph

Parrotmom, I would guess that if folks aren't tipping on ships, they're likely not going to tip in Vegas or anywhere. It's just easier not to feel guilty about it when it hasn't been the same person waiting on you hand and foot all week. On the other hand, gratuities on Celebrity are a couple of bucks cheaper on Celebrity than Azamara (and the same as RCL) so maybe the poster won't feel quite so "ripped off."

Do they still wash out your mouth with soap nowadays..lol Yet, these maybe people who gamble on ships, drink (thank heavens the tip is included in the bar bill..lol) BTW how much is the suggested tip on Azamara? Will people NOT sign up to cruise the Soltice or Equinox because of the higher suggested tip? And on the specialty restaurants...if the service is magnificent..and I expect it will be... do these people ever think about the cooks, the people who clean up in the kitchen or the engine room......I guess Ive been/was working stiff for too long..and I can appreciate service people who go out of their way...to please you.. think Illtake a tranquilizer before I become nasty..lol

I wonder when the Soltice will become available for booking, in terms of booking specialty restaurants online? We just booked our specialties on Adventure of the Seas that way and there's a blurb on the Celebrity web page about them doing it but the date for Solstice restaurants being avilable to book online is "to be announced." I hope they let us book more than one at a time.

Hi All,

Just curious. Am I correct, Murano, Silk Harvest, Italian Restaurant are all specialty extra cost restaurants, right? Does anyone know yet the cost per person?

Also, when you see the balconys, how do we know if it has lounge seating, or as the Presimans photos showed, a chair and small ottoman? My husband has been spoiled with the loungers which were in the M class Aft cabins.

Thanks

Daph

I read somewhere on these boards the charge for Murano is $30pp,Tuscan Grill $25, and Silk Harvest $20.

Pat

Archived