Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Dinotoll--

what an awesome photo--even the lights are sparkling...! the nicest part so far is that Solstice, although large, still looks like a beautiful ship with great lines

- Keep us posted on all the big events...

Hi , the countdown is running and early in the morning the 10.August she will docked out from the shipyard Meyer Werft in Papenburg Germany and put to the fitting out quay for 7 weeks.

My wife and I a lot of celibrity fans and shiplovers will be directly LIVE in Papenburg and watch that fabulos event.

When I am back I'll post some LIVE pic shots to all the Solstice Lovers here on board.:D

That would be great! :)

Hi , the countdown is running and early in the morning the 10.August she will docked out from the shipyard Meyer Werft in Papenburg Germany and put to the fitting out quay for 7 weeks.

My wife and I a lot of celibrity fans and shiplovers will be directly LIVE in Papenburg and watch that fabulos event.

When I am back I'll post some LIVE pic shots to all the Solstice Lovers here on board.:D

We will be very appreciative. Thank you!

Good morning, everyone! Just a quick reminder that this thread is about Solstice. Please keep the discussions on topic and within our guidelines!

She's looking GREAT, isn't she!!!! Just another week and she floats out! Wish I were going to be there!

Thanks Xcruiser! That picture makes up for the webcam not being updated this week.

The August 10th undocking is approaching. Dinotoll, we're looking forward to your visit to the event and appreciate that you will share your pictures with us.

Bonnie

I just read on Meyerwelft that the undocking would be on live internet on Aug 10 at www.meyerwerft.de. I hope I can get it! I also saw where they cut the

steel for the Eclipse! How about that.

Joann and Bob/

Thanks for the info, here's a couple more links:

Link to the MeyerWerft press release on Solstice undocking:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1578

Link to the latest Hi-Res picture of Solstice – she dry again:

http://redaktion.meyer-neptun.de/exfiles/8/celebrity%20sostice/s%20675_hires.jpg

Looking good:)

Does anyone know what time (Eastern) the webcast of the undocking will happen?

I believe Papenburg shipyard is 6 hours ahead based on EST so undocking begins at 7:30a (GMT+1) so that makes it 1:30pm EST (GMT-5). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but that is how I see it.

Hope that helps!:)

I believe Papenburg shipyard is 6 hours ahead based on EST so undocking begins at 7:30a (GMT+1) so that makes it 1:30pm EST (GMT-5). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but that is how I see it.

Europe is ahead of us time-wise so I believe that is 1:30 AM EST.

Thanks for the info, here's a couple more links:

Link to the latest Hi-Res picture of Solstice – she dry again:

http://redaktion.meyer-neptun.de/exfiles/8/celebrity%20sostice/s%20675_hires.jpg

Looking good:)

I posted this on another "new picture of the Solstice" thread, but would love to hear what others here think....

MarineArchitect....what do you think?

Something that I've noticed, now that more of the tarps have been removed:

Looking at where the white stanchions for balconies have been placed for the (9?) forward cabins on the Sunrise deck , it looks as though the ship's designers have decided not to increase the depth of balconies, even though it seems as if there would have been room to do so.

If the white stanchions mark the line for installation of the stateroom balconies, then it looks as if those forward cabins will have an area of deck protruding beyond their balconies. Wouldn't this be incredibly unsafe? (Looking at the shadows, there might be an outside chance that this "lip" is angled downward, to discourage thrillseekers who might think to take a "walk" outside the line of the balconies. There also appear to be a series of much narrower silver uprights at the farthest edge of the protruding lip of deck. Would these carry chains, as in the area atop the bridge?) There is a similar "lip" on a portion of the deck below, and a few cabins further aft.

It seems so very strange to me, with such potential for disaster, that I surely must be reading the photo completely wrong. I would appreciate anyone else's interpretation.

I think your observations are correct. I would guess that the silver uprights out at the end of the "lip" are temporary scaffolding poles that were installed to prevent workers from falling during construction.

I would have thought that Celebrity would have taken the opportunity to expand these few balconies, and charge extra for these cabins, like they do for the S1 cabins on the stern corners.

I posted this on another "new picture of the Solstice" thread, but would love to hear what others here think....

MarineArchitect....what do you think?

Something that I've noticed, now that more of the tarps have been removed:

Looking at where the white stanchions for balconies have been placed for the (9?) forward cabins on the Sunrise deck , it looks as though the ship's designers have decided not to increase the depth of balconies, even though it seems as if there would have been room to do so.

If the white stanchions mark the line for installation of the stateroom balconies, then it looks as if those forward cabins will have an area of deck protruding beyond their balconies. Wouldn't this be incredibly unsafe? (Looking at the shadows, there might be an outside chance that this "lip" is angled downward, to discourage thrillseekers who might think to take a "walk" outside the line of the balconies. There also appear to be a series of much narrower silver uprights at the farthest edge of the protruding lip of deck. Would these carry chains, as in the area atop the bridge?) There is a similar "lip" on a portion of the deck below, and a few cabins further aft.

It seems so very strange to me, with such potential for disaster, that I surely must be reading the photo completely wrong. I would appreciate anyone else's interpretation.

If you are referring to the cabins on the sunrise deck forward above the name Solstice on the bow, the white painted area is outside the balcony railing. The other set of stanchions with the chain outside on the ledge and above the bridge are just temporary safety railings while work is being completed. I’m not sure why this would pose any safety issues as the ledge would be on the other side of balcony railing and such ledges have been common on many ships.

I think Celebrity is trying hard on Solstice class ships to make the balconies a common size and depth. The only ones I can see that would have some advantage in depth would be the balconies on an angle forward, midship hump and aft on the side of the aft facing sky suites. I guess it won’t be long before we all know for sure but that’s how it looks to me.

If you are referring to the cabins on the sunrise deck forward above the name Solstice on the bow, the white painted area is outside the balcony railing. The other set of stanchions with the chain outside on the ledge and above the bridge are just temporary safety railings while work is being completed. I’m not sure why this would pose any safety issues as the ledge would be on the other side of balcony railing and such ledges have been common on many ships.

I don't believe I can ever remember seeing a ledge area that was so accessible to the public, yet without a significant barrier to prevent a fall, should someone be so foolhardy as to jump the balcony just to "take a walk on the wild side".

I don't believe I can ever remember seeing a ledge area that was so accessible to the public, yet without a significant barrier to prevent a fall, should someone be so foolhardy as to jump the balcony just to "take a walk on the wild side".

I guess Solstice won’t be “FOOL PROOF” then. :D

I think Celebrity is trying hard on Solstice class ships to make the balconies a common size and depth. The only ones I can see that would have some advantage in depth would be the balconies on an angle forward, midship hump and aft on the side of the aft facing sky suites. I guess it won’t be long before we all know for sure but that’s how it looks to me.

I also noticed the balconies on an angle being a bit bigger, especially the outermost angled balcony on the hump, and 3rd one from the outer limit of the hump. I just moved my stateroom this weekend from an aft to one of the larger hump balconies. The afts look like they will not be much larger and will be completely exposed to sun and downward views. Of course, I don't know this for sure, just trying to make my best guess.

I also noticed the balconies on an angle being a bit bigger, especially the outermost angled balcony on the hump, and 3rd one from the outer limit of the hump. I just moved my stateroom this weekend from an aft to one of the larger hump balconies. The afts look like they will not be much larger and will be completely exposed to sun and downward views. Of course, I don't know this for sure, just trying to make my best guess.

I agree. I changed my stateroom to a hump balcony as well. It looks like there will be a nice view!

Archived