Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

As someone who was on the last Volendam cruise I trust we left the ship in good shape for you!

Our last night on board was quite rough but I thought the ship handled it well. Other than that the last couple of days were quite windy and on the last but one day it was too cloudy to be out on deck, which was a shame.

I'm a little puzzled about the a/c comments. Admittedly we were in a humble outside on Main Deck but we had no problems at all there. The one place we did get cold was one night in the Pinnacle Grill but they moved us to a different table which was not in a direct line with the outlets!

We certainly thought that the food was great and all the crew brilliant. However we did not see as much of the Captain as we did when we sailed the Noordam last year.

I shall follow this thread with interest to keep our recent holiday alive!!

I write this as we approach the desert island of Aruba sitting on the shaded deck on Deck 6 aft – the entire ship is ahead of me and I am alone gazing at the most brilliant blue sea & sky that surrounds us. There are a few little fishing boats off in the distance to port – and as I write this, a beautiful little Monarch butterfly flutters over the deck – from starboard to port and back again. I can just now see the far edge of the island with its sand dunes and terracotta roofs in the distance to port, with the fishing boats joined by sailboats. The seas are calm and there is barely any wind and just a few puffy clouds in the sky…

Last night we enjoyed guests at table 137: Many of you from the Noordam reunion may remember Security Officer Larry. We were delighted to be joined by him and his lovely wife Susan at dinner last evening. The conversation flowed as easily as the wine Larry chose for us as we shared stories about various cruises aboard HAL and our families and lives back home. Apparently they have just sold their family business back in Washington which now allows Susan to join her DH aboard the ships of the line as he travels the world. I can’t think of a better way to spend time than aboard various ships with one’s spouse while they are getting paid to travel! HAL is rather generous with their officers and senior staff in this regard: as long as a spouse or significant other stays in the crew-stateroom with one and pays their onboard expenses, such as bar bills, etc – they can join their spouse for free – and it appears that many have taken advantage of this perk on this trip.

Earlier in the day, I enjoyed a short talk in the main lounge given by a historian as a part of the enrichment series – he talked about the history of the Panama Canal and how the idea to build a canal was developed over the years. As a habitual History Channel watcher, I’ve heard most of this before, but it was nice to hear his spin on the story – I liik forward to parts two and three of his talk: the building of the canal and it’s future expansion.

Aftenoon was a lazy day – I had had quite a bit of sun the day before on HMC, so I decided that avoiding too much sun was best and stuck to indoor activities. Eventually, it was time to take a shirt nap, then dress for dinner.

As we pull in to the port of Aruba, we are coming alongside a containerport – and across the road from there is the Aruba Ford/Lincoln/Mercury new-car-dealer – followed by the Harley-Davidson dealership – kinda makes sense to be located across the road from where the goods arrive from the Mainland. The 4-masted sailing passenger-ship Polynesia is at the pier near where we will tie up for the day: she appears deserted, tired and worn – a sad sight knowing that her owners are out of business and that she may not see paying passengers again for some time to come…

Anywhoo – I dressed in my Black Shawl collar tuxedo last nite – and stressed over my bowtie (not a pre-tied, but I one I had to tie myself) Now I know why they invented cocktails in the 20’s – after struggling with a bowtie for 30 minutes or so, I needed a drink! The photographers were out in force, but our group never made it to them, as the lines were long and we chose to just relax and enjoy one another’s company and hors d’oervres. BTW – The hot hors d’oervres are back! Besides Bittenballen, we have been served breaded shrimp, fried springrolls and little crab-balls. Quite tasty! Oh yes, and since it was formal night, we had the “Good Nuts”! ;)

During dinner, Scotty presented Janice with her birthday present: some opal earrings to match the necklace he gave her this past winter on Noordam. Later the waiters brought a great white-frosted Rum-Cake and sang Janice “Happy Birsday” (no, that’s not a misspelling), and “Santa Margarita” (that probably is).

After dinner, we returned to our circle in Ocean Bar for a cocktail and to listen to the music. We missed the show and therefore the Captain’s Toast – No photos with Captain Fred and Larry wasn’t even expected to be there, so we didn’t feel compelled to attend. The place did get busy with a dance-floor crowded by dozens of older folks bouncing along to the craziest music – there must be a few Texans aboard as when the band started playing “My Toot-Toot”, the place was packed. We moved up to Crow’s Nest for 50’s-60’s night – the entertainment was more of the same, however our singer seems to have a nice enough voice, yet the bands accompaniment doesn’t suit her at all – it’s a strange mix…

We danced and caroused into the early morning hours, chit chatting and some of us having a little too much fun… (No Wang-Wangs for me – I was a good boy for a change.)

…a big black seabird with a beautiful yellow-orange throat just skimmed overhead – I wish I knew what it was. Perhaps someone here can Google and find out?

Anyway, we’re tying up at the pier at 11.45, and it appears that the Suarez Circus is in town, just across the road. The band on the aft-Lido two decks above is playing “Girl from Ipanema” while an Indonesian sailor in his Cracker-Jack whites has just joined me on the stern to put up the Dutch Flag. The CD is making his arrival announcements (why do their voices all sound the same?) telling us that all-aboard is at 10 pm where we’ll have a Lido Party and on-deck Bar-B-Que. I need to post this and return to my stateroom to shower and change to meet the gang in the Atrium at 1pm for an afternoon of shopping…

PS: There is no wireless signal down on Deck 6 aft – I had to return to our stateroom on Deck 7 aft to get a signal.

This will be my second attempt to post about last night's Formal Night ... I lost everything that I just wrote -- wasting about $8 in the process -- due to some (unprintable) server error ... wether on HAL's end or CC's end, I don't know, but given how horrible the internet connection is from the Volendam, I would guess it's the ship's error ... on my dollar.

Anyway....

Last night was a glorious formal night. We had a blast. The dinner and the conversation was just wonderful. I had the rack of lamb, and both crab legs and Beef Wellington were also on the menu. The food was superb, and the service was too ... though it was a bit slow (it might also be that our conversation was slowing down the service!) We enjoyed celebrating Janice's birthday last night, with a huge cake for our table and the obligatory singing of "Happy Birsday" by the dining staff! Larry, Chief of Security (I guess they heard about us CCers and our wild parties, eh??!! ;) ), and his wife Susan were our gracious table-hosts and we enjoyed their wine and conversation both at dinner, then at cocktails after dinner, and then dancing in the Crows Nest until late ... no, I mean VERY late. Who says the Damships shut down at 11 pm???? The Crows Nest Dance floor was still filled at 12:30 pm, and even at 1 am some of us were still "cutting the rug!" I think I returned to my cabin about 1:45 am.

Dress Code Alert! No, I don't mean men walking around in nicely pressed slacks and polo-shirts ... though we did see a lot of that, too. No ... think: shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Think: jean-shorts and print t-shirts. Think: tank-tops and baggy cargo shorts. Think: "wife-beater" t-shirts and work-out trunks. On the first formal night ... in the lounges, dancing in the Ocean Bar and Crows Nest, and ... yes ... eating dinner in the main dining room! And, I'm not talking 2 or 3 or 5 or even 10. I'm talking a sizable percentage of the men aboard ship ... 25% would not be overestimating it ... were not dressed according to code. Christopher's estimates of the men were: 20% Tuxedos, 40% Suits, 15% Jacket/Tie, and 25% "Slobs." Indeed, it might have been an even higher percentage than 25%, but that was the figure we came up with after observing the situation in the main dining room, in the Ocean Bar, in transit between lounges, and then up in the Crows Nest. Again, we're not just talking about men dressed in Smart Casual minimal -- a bunch were wandering the ship dressed in such -- we're talking about guys wandering the ship in the evening hours wearing things that are expressly identified in the Dress Code as being "not allowed." The women were just as bad. And, the worst part of it was that they not only didn't care, but they even had the gall to stare at some of us who were dressed in accordance with the code ... one lady even pointing at my Tux with cream-colored bow tie and vest and then turning to her husband to say something to him about it. I'm sorry ... but WE were the ones who were dressed appropriately, wether they like it or not! Among ourselves, our ladies were stunning in their beautiful evening dresses, while my fellow gentlemen and I were attired in Tuxedos of varying cuts and styles. We made an elegant table and a equally elegant bunch on the dance floor. NO ... the dress code violators didn't "ruin" the evening for us, but they did provide for some interesting conversation. And, I must admit -- even though I'm sure those who already hate me will draw-and-quarter me for saying this -- the ambiance in the dining room and on the dance floor was truly ruined by mixing in wife-beater t-shirts and shorts with Tuxedos and evening dresses.

This was the first cruise on which they didn't have the Captain's Reception, etc., but rather had the toast. However, due to our lovely dinner we missed it. Also, I must say that I was very disappointed in the thin representation of the ship's officers ... very few were visible during the evening dance time in the Crows Nest. Some captains and officers are very personable and get out and "mix" ... but others are not.

I must go, now. We're pulling into Aruba!

Fabulous posts, Brian and Greg both. Thank you for them.

I enjoyed reading about your wonderful dinner with Security...:) Larry is the BEST!! How nice he and Susan hosted your table.

Sorry to hear about the continuing slip in honoring dress code. It will not get better. Thanks for the description of what all of you were wearing. Fun to read about it and picture you in the dining room enjoying an elegant dinner.

Brian....loved your description of you on the aft deck with the blue sky and water sparkling for you. I see the 'whole picture'.... sigh. Heavenly.

Thank you for being so generous to share all of this with us.

Continue to Enjoy. :)

WOW, WOW, I can not believe the dress code violators; sounds like you are on one of those 4 day Carnival drunk fests instead of a 10 day HAL cruise. :eek: :eek: :eek: Wife beater shirts on the cruise, must be a bunch from Alabama, no wait even us Alabamians have more class than that. Glad to hear they didn’t put a crinkle in you nightly festivities and fun.:D

I think this is the first time I have read on any board of such a sizable number of passengers who preferred to remain very casual.

25% = about 360 passengers

Crew Size= about 647

When a sizable number of passengers choose to be casual, it probably becomes beyond impractical for officer/crew to even attempt to enforce any kind of minimum dress code. It's the passengers, not the cruise lines that are changing.

Glad to hear it's just an observation and you are not going to let it diminish this fabulous cruise.

Thanks, Greg, for the dress code update. Sorry to see how many people are coming into the diningroom inappropriately dressed. It's certainly true that with so many dressed that way, it's hard to enforce a dress code.

I guess that as more people see others dressed this way, more will decide it's OK. I bet you see even less tuxes, suits, and sport coats on the next formal night.

Hope you guys continue to have fun.

(By the way, Greg, maybe that woman turned to her husband and commented on how great you looked).

Thanks Brian & Greg for your wonderful detailed posts. Brian, your description of pulling into Aruba made me feel as if I were there! Also sorry to hear about the decline in formal dressing. The formal nights, in our opinion are magical and special.

the most brilliant blue sea & sky that surrounds us. There are a few little fishing boats off in the distance to port – and as I write this, a beautiful little Monarch butterfly flutters over the deck – from starboard to port and back again. I can just now see the far edge of the island with its sand dunes and terracotta roofs in the distance to port, with the fishing boats joined by sailboats. The seas are calm and there is barely any wind and just a few puffy clouds in the sky…

Sigh . . . Calgon, take me away!!! What a wonderful description for those of us not onboard with you - I'm at my desk at work remembering our own arrival at Aruba in February and wishing I was there again. Thank you for the visual you've provided me to get through a dreary afternoon up here in the "frozen tundra".

Revneal: I can only hope that the woman who pointed to your tux and finery and then spoke to her husband was actually telling him how handsome he'd look if he were similarly dressed. I can't believe the tank top/shorts in the dining room didn't receive a word or two of advice from the Maitre'd. Sad, really.

I'm glad to see you're having a great time - and looking forward to more posts.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

What year did you do South America/Antarctica?

January, 2002; it was a 22-day cruise. Sure wish the Brazilian visa's were good for 10 years, like passports are. ;)

Not sure what prompts your question, though. :confused:

Thank you both, Brian and Greg for the descriptions of the arrival in Aruba and Formal Night. I felt as if I could reach out and touch what was described. I can't believe (yes, sadly I can :( ) how low the dress bar has been set. It's bad enough when people dress casually on a Formal evening, but from your description, many were several steps below "casual".

Keep on having a great time, and keep up the great reports! :)

Greg, I have no words for that post I just read about the first formal night.

I'm appalled. Tell my mother that I am printing it out and showing my grandmother. Can't wait to critique with Christopher. My mom says that him and I will have a great time with that on the Eurodam!

And to my Ruth FrancEs (sorry bout that, I knew better)...for some reason I am unable to post under my screen name. so, i am using my mother's until she returns. Miss you!!!!!

Greg,

It is the passengers not the cruise line that have denigrated the dress code for formal evenings on the ship. There is another threat on this board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12274233&posted=1#post12274233 where a new passenger to HAL asks the questions about casual wear on formal evenings and the answers from others on this board is appalling on the subject. Basically many of the posters must have been on the Volendam last night as they condone the apparel so accurately described by you last night.

Brian and Greg, I'm enjoying your wonderful descriptions so very much. It's cold and blustery here in Ohio and your thread is a perfect antidote to the "onset of winter" blues. Wish I was sharing that wonderful warm weather and great conversation with you.

I, too, share your dismay at the lowering of the dress code standard. About ten years ago we read the day's program wrong and DH arrived at the old Noordam's dining room sans jacket on a semi-formal night. The maitre d' came to our table and suggested he'd be more comfortable properly dressed in the future. All very quietly and politely done, but it was clear that HAL cared about maintaining the standard. Of course, DH always was careful, before and after that lapse to dress appropriately. (And I paid more attention to the program so it never happened again.) DH had both a tux and white dinner jacket, enjoyed wearing them and was much appreciated by his proud wife.;)

I think this is the first time I have read on any board of such a sizable number of passengers who preferred to remain very casual.

25% = about 360 passengers

Crew Size= about 647

When a sizable number of passengers choose to be casual, it probably becomes beyond impractical for officer/crew to even attempt to enforce any kind of minimum dress code. It's the passengers, not the cruise lines that are changing.

Glad to hear it's just an observation and you are not going to let it diminish this fabulous cruise.

Hammy, based upon what we saw ... just the numbers we saw last night ... I would say that 360 passengers being casual across the entire ship would be about right. I know Christopher lost count at about the 100th man to be without a jacket and tie ... and about as many women were "underdressed" as men. So ....

Nevertheless, we're having a GREAT time!

Pictures follow now.

Photos from Casual night!

dinner1.jpg

Scotty and Adele at dinner on a Smart Casual evening (the night after HMC)

dinner2.jpg

Brian

dinner3.jpg

Janice and Monique

dinner4.jpg

Pistachio Ice Cream ... Adele ate it in honor of RuthC and her only "green stuff."

Archived