Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

so I toddled off to our future cruise consultant yesterday afternoon and booked Scotty and I into an SS/Traditional Seating on Noordam for the Feb 12, ’09 10-day Seafarer cruise out of Ft Lauderdale- and of course noted the lovely Gunilla as our ever-faithful TA. Greg, Christopher and Adele seemed amenable to this itinerary (St Lucia, Grenada, Martinique, St Maartin, HMC) and timeframe – so we may be staring down the barrel at a “Reunion-Reunion” cruise… (Yes, everyone is welcome to join us) ;)

Brian -

Did you pick a cabin? I just check HAL's site and they're pricing is pretty good for that voyage. Especially for an SC. I'm tempted to join you! :D

........that brought the discussion at dinner of who were among the best Captain’s for guests: Matebour, Von Donselaar, Mercer, Scott, Capt Jack (but only if you were a female of a certain age…) – and others who seemed to prefer cloistering themselves on their Bridges…

Some captain personalities are more "suited" to mingling/socializing amongst guests than others. If you've never sailed with Frans Consen, the former captain of RRRRRRRRRyndam (now on Statendam - notice no "R's") he's one of the best plus a very funny guy.

terrydtx--

And HAL has taken out of their dress code that on formal nights the “suggested” attire is formal in all public areas

Actually ... no ... they haven't. It's still printed in the know-before-you-go booklet. It's just that people aren't reading it anymore. :( And, true, it's not on the website.

innlady1--

I called Toppers for him and was told not to worry...jackets are no longer required. I doubt they'd let someone in a tank top & shorts, but a polo shirt and Dockers would be perfectly acceptable.

Sadly, the way these things work the tide won't be held at dockers and polo shirts ... what's happened on the Volendam this cruise is proof of the "domino effect" in dress-code relaxation. Next, those who want to wear jeans will be let in; then, those who want to come in shorts and polos; then, shorts and t-shirts ... and so-forth. One of these days I half-expect to see the "shirts and shoes required" rule that most casual restaurants still maintain go out the window and topless dining will become commonplace.

Are there any cruise lines that enforce the dress code?

Believe it or not, HAL sometimes will enforce their code. It all depends upon (1) the attitude of the staff, and I suspects (2) the percentage and attitude of the passengers. Were it just a tiny handful (3 or 4) offenders, I wouldn't be surprised to see them ejected from the dining room, etc. But, when the figures are this high ... well ... why bother?

Ekerr and Brian,

I was just looking at those February 2009 cruises on the Noordam(since I love that ship and love to get away in February) and was wondering when is school vacation in the east that year? I don't have a 2009 calendar so I can't even guess. Anyone know?

Okay ... now for today's remarks:

Today was a nice, quiet, relaxing sea-day. I spent most of the morning, between breakfast and lunch, walking the promenade and listening to music on my iPod. I really worked up and awful, sticky sweat, so after a quick shower and such I went to a nice yummy lunch in the main dining room with Adele, Christopher, and Brian. Scotty was no where to be found (knowing our dear Scotty, I'm sure he was belly-up to the bar by noon :) For some reason all the bartenders know his name and cabin number by heart!!! :D ). The Mariner's luncheon will be on Sunday at 11 am ... <sigh> I'm hoping it's a worthwhile event.

After lunch Brian and I wandered around the ship a bit, took care of some shore-excursion details, did a little shopping (I bought a Volendam mug for my collection, and they had some of the damships shirts on sale, and I picked up 2 or 3 for wear on my next tour of duty as Chaplain! ) and spent a while in search of Scotty. On that journey Brian and I worked up a second sweat, climbed a bunch of steps in 85 degree / 85% humid weather (ugh!), and I also photographed the Volendam's Mast coins ...

volcoins.jpg

Meanwhile, Christopher and Adele were nice and cool, in the Explorer's Lounge, at an Emeralds Lecture (Christopher says that natural Emeralds cost too much for his budget and he'll have to stick to man-made Emeralds ... no, not fake.)

Tonight is our second formal night ... and our last formal night with photographers flashing us all over the place (because the Volendam's Photographic equipment is being removed and replaced with newer digital equipment at the end of this cruise, and the staff needs the time to disassemble it all. Tonight Larry and Susan will be joining us again at the table, and since it is the Captain's Black and White Ball, it should be a wonderful evening for all with cocktails, dinner, and dancing. I'll be in my Tuxedo and white shirt with black vest and black bow tie.

Oh, and a note for Ruth ... they've had the "good nuts" out and about throughout this cruise. On the formal nights and at the Captain's cocktails they've had the "good nuts" ... while on casual nights it has either been peanuts or honey-roasted nuts. :) Adele reminded me to let you know! Strange ... I thought WE were the "good nuts" !!!!!

Tomorrow we should arrive at the Canal by about 6:30 am (or thereabouts, per the captain's announcement today). This being my second time to see the big ditch, I am nevertheless excited ... it is an amazing engineering marvel. "Daddy, can I go again! Weeeeeee!"

Over cocktails with the Captain last night (who, being an antisocial sort, disappeared before we reached the mid-point of the affair) I happened to ask the Chief Engineer about much of the damage, wear-and-tear, and other physical abuse that I've been noticing all around the ship (did you know there's a big crack in one of the windowpanes of the starboard side/upper level of the dining room??!!). He confirmed that the Volendam will be going into Drydock next April for 2 weeks (16 days) worth of a major overhaul just prior to her next Alaska Season. And, it was admitted that she needs a lot of work. Thankfully, my Volendam will be getting that work!

Over-all the ship's AC system seems to work well, especially considering the extreme conditions (85 degrees and 85% humidity) that it is required to operate under during the daytime hours. My cabin is still a tad warm in the day, but at night it cools down quite nicely. Our vacuum flush system is not working very well right now. One pushes the button and it takes about 15 to 30 seconds for the flush to engage. Oh, and gentlemen, be careful about sitting down on the toilet too quickly after pushing that button!!! The good news in this department is that there are crews working on the lines down the corridor from us and we've been told that they're in the initial stages of a complete system swap-out, as was done on the Ryndam this past April.

All for now. I've got to get a nap before getting ready for cocktails and our Formal Night / Black and White Ball tonight. I wonder how many people will be wandering the ship in Black-and-White T-shirts/shorts?

terrydtx--

Actually ... no ... they haven't. It's still printed in the know-before-you-go booklet. It's just that people aren't reading it anymore. :( And, true, it's not on the website.

Greg,

The know-before-you-go booklet is printed in mass quantities and any changes in policy are expensive to reprint. The HAL website is the more up to date place for current policies and the suggested public area evening attire wording has been changed recently, unfortunatley. Lets hope today's "reminder" in the Volendam's newsletter by the captain is more inforced tonight. Glad you all are still having such a great time.

I will be up early tomorrow to get those Volendam pics for you making the Gatun lock transit. Are you still scheduled for a 7am local time (6am my time)transit?

Ekerr and Brian,

I was just looking at those February 2009 cruises on the Noordam(since I love that ship and love to get away in February) and was wondering when is school vacation in the east that year? I don't have a 2009 calendar so I can't even guess. Anyone know?

President's Day/Week is 2/16/09. Hope this helps.

Oh ... Yes ... Pictures!

Photos From Just Before Curacao Departure

cur11.jpg

Viewing the central downtown dock area and the bridges and shopping district of "old town"

cur12.jpg

The Mega Pier "Ship Terminal." I'd rather we docked inside the floating bridge.

cur13.jpg

Looking toward the fort and the modern shopping center ... most of the shops are not yet open, but many are. They have ATMs there that will give you money in dollars or guilders.

Dinner last night was a nice affair. It was Smart Casual, and everyone was dressed very nicely. I was in grey slacks, black polo, and black blazer. Christopher was in a pastel silk shirt, brown slacks, and a seersucker jacket. Scotty was in his usual stylish shirt (I don't know the type, but it had lots of nice embroidery on it), slacks, and a blazer. The ladies were in dresses ... one red, one black, and one blue (I think).

Here's a nice food photograph to make you hungry ... The Fruit Appetizer

dinner8.jpg

(I've been eating a lot of this kind of thing, and am enjoying it all greatly). The general consensus is that the food aboard the Volendam is quite excellent, and while the selection could be a bit broader it's still certainly sufficient for a 10-day cruise.

The new menu is very nice, and they are presented in a nice folder. There are actually 4 sections -- Starters, Entrees, Specialties, and "Available Every Night." There are at least 2 soups (1 hot, 1 chilled), 2 salads, and 3 or 4 appetizers of various kinds ... and, every night, several at our table have had the secret Oxymoron -- the Jumbo Shrimp --as additional Appetizers. From it this menu most of us have been picking a full 4-course meal (Appetizer, Soup, Salad, and Entree). The stewards seem to expect it.

Brian is looking for a new job ... here he is trying out for the Yum Yum Man position:

brianyumyumman1.jpg

They don't yet have the Philip Morris uniform for him, though.

Janice and I photographed nicely....

gregjanicevol07.jpg

Greg,

The know-before-you-go booklet is printed in mass quantities and any changes in policy are expensive to reprint. The HAL website is the more up to date place for current policies and the suggested public area evening attire wording has been changed recently, unfortunatley.

Terrydtx, I really do hate to differ with you, but no. The Know Before You Go Booklet is the authority on this issue ... it's what HAL sends out with the documentation. Also, there has been no change to the public area evening attire language on the Website that isn't reflected in the Know Before You Go Booklet EXCEPT for the leaving out of the statement regarding the Dress Code being for the entire evening. When the code was changed to do away with Informal Evenings, the booklet was changed too ... as was the website ... the only difference being that the website lacks that statement. It is an annoying inconsistency, but in my opinion the Booklet rules.

I will be up early tomorrow to get those Volendam pics for you making the Gatun lock transit. Are you still scheduled for a 7am local time (6am my time)transit?

Yes. If you can't get up to get us going into the lake, perhaps you can capture us going OUT? Our scheduled time to begin our transit back through the locks is 12 - 1 pm ... though the Captain did warn us it could begin as late as 2 pm.

Yes. If you can't get up to get us going into the lake, perhaps you can capture us going OUT? Our scheduled time to begin our transit back through the locks is 12 - 1 pm ... though the Captain did warn us it could begin as late as 2 pm.

I will be there in the morning no problem, :D I have a couple of sales calls (need to make a couple of sales to tide over my business until I get back from my cruise in December)to make that will not allow me to be at the computer for the afternoon return from the lake.:(

I will be there in the morning no problem, :D I have a couple of sales calls (need to make a couple of sales to tide over my business until I get back from my cruise in December)to make that will not allow me to be at the computer for the afternoon return from the lake.:(

Thanks! Hopefully, someone else can capture some of those images???

Oh, and a note for Ruth ... they've had the "good nuts" out and about throughout this cruise. On the formal nights and at the Captain's cocktails they've had the "good nuts" ... while on casual nights it has either been peanuts or honey-roasted nuts. :) Adele reminded me to let you know! Strange ... I thought WE were the "good nuts" !!!!!

Aw, shucks, Greg, please tell Adele thanks for thinking of me. But if she's the good friend I think she is, she'll be filling a big plastic bag with them to bring back to me. :D

And yes, you all are good nuts. ;) I miss all of you. Please say "Hi" to Janice from me---she was so sweet.

Terrydtx, I really do hate to differ with you, but no. The Know Before You Go Booklet is the authority on this issue ... it's what HAL sends out with the documentation. Also, there has been no change to the public area evening attire language on the Website that isn't reflected in the Know Before You Go Booklet EXCEPT for the leaving out of the statement regarding the Dress Code being for the entire evening. When the code was changed to do away with Informal Evenings, the booklet was changed too ... as was the website ... the only difference being that the website lacks that statement. It is an annoying inconsistency, but in my opinion the Booklet rules.

I stand corrected you are correct, but what good is a written explicit policy when the policy is not enforced by those responsible for enforcement?:mad: :mad:

Ekerr and Brian,

Mamaofami,

In GA the February break will be starting February 15th and ending February 24th. (that is in my area) usually same through out. This is for 2008

April Spring Break will be starting April 4th and ending 13th. This is for 2008

February 2009 winter break will be the 13th ~ 22nd

April 2009 Spring Break will be the 3rd ~ 12th

Hope this helps.

Mamaofami,

In GA the February break will be starting February 15th and ending February 24th. (that is in my area) usually same through out.

April Spring Break will be starting April 4th and ending 13th.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Looks like it's the same in NY from what Hammybee posted. If I can, I like to avoid cruising when the kiddies are off.

Brian....... Loved your post for today. I just got to read it and enjoyed it so much. Hope Mr. Hanky goes away and stays away.... and please don't send him to Maasdam. ;) REALLY thinking about your Noordam cruise. We want to return to her sooner than 2009 but if not possible, Feb. 2009 just might work for us.

Greg..... So great of you to keep us updated on your wonderful cruise. I look for your posts each day. Totally enjoying all your posts. AND thanks so much for the pictures.

I notice no reference to fireworks when you sailed away from Curacao. That is something we will miss very much.

Keep having fun all of you. Your enthusiasm and pleasure shine through in your messages. :)

I don't know that I've come across this solution before on the forum. How about a tiered seating? The primo tables for those that adhere to the evening's dress code and the less desirable table for those who don't? Kinda like the days when smokers got the back of the plane and the section closest to the doors to the kitchen in restaurants. Sure, the maitre d' will get some heat, but it shouldn't be too difficult for him to respond, "I'm sorry, sir, those tables are reserved for those wearing this evening's suggested attire." Just a thought.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Bear in mind, Carol, that in some areas they stagger the school vacations. I know in Florida not all schools are closed at the same time. February in general is bound to have more children on cruises than many other months.

Of course, a 10 days is always better than a 7 because it encompasses 2 weeks.

Greg and Brian, great posts as always:D . A really fun read tonight! I hope the ship makes it until April ... I have friends on her in February:) .

I don't know that I've come across this solution before on the forum. How about a tiered seating? The primo tables for those that adhere to the evening's dress code and the less desirable table for those who don't? Kinda like the days when smokers got the back of the plane and the section closest to the doors to the kitchen in restaurants. Sure, the maitre d' will get some heat, but it shouldn't be too difficult for him to respond, "I'm sorry, sir, those tables are reserved for those wearing this evening's suggested attire." Just a thought.

Advocado, I'm not sure whether or not you're serious. But, I think it's actually a good idea. It is better than just refusing entry to those in tee shirts and jeans. Why not designate a special place for those who want to do their "own thing"?

Archived